• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final Fantasy Discussion

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Disrupting the flow of conversation, I'm haphazardly going through the FF series via PSN. I've already played 3, 4, 9, 10, Tactics, Tactics A2, and Ring of Fates (not that that necessarily counts). I know people love 6 and 7, and PSN only has up to FFX. I never hear people talk about 1, 2, 5, or 8. Are those any good? I realize they may not be the best or the worst (maybe), but where in the "meh" spectrum do they lie? Also, what platforms is this FFXII remaster supposed to be on? Where on people's "best FF game" list does that one fall on?

Now that I think about it, I don't even know what the general plot of FFV is.

Last edited:

CyberD888

Travelling Trader
Disrupting the flow of conversation, I'm haphazardly going through the FF series via PSN. I've already played 3, 4, 9, 10, Tactics, Tactics A2, and Ring of Fates (not that that necessarily counts). I know people love 6 and 7, and PSN only has up to FFX. I never hear people talk about 1, 2, 5, or 8. Are those any good? I realize they may not be the best or the worst (maybe), but where in the "meh" spectrum do they lie? Also, what platforms is this FFXII remaster supposed to be on? Where on people's "best FF game" list does that one fall on?

Now that I think about it, I don't even know what the general plot of FFV is.
As someone who has completed all the main series FF, I think the only one tht was bad (for me at least) was FF3. I enjoyed playing the others, even the ones ppl disliked such as 2, 8 and 12. 5 has the best battle system IMO and even Bravely Default's battle system was modeled after it. 8 lacked a good villain but the romantic story between Squall and Rinoa was sweet so it got me going through the game. Althought Character Development wise, it's down the drain if you're not Squall or Rinoa. 1 has a simplistic charm to them which I quite liked, even more so than the melodramatic 4. 2 is average, although I find it memorable for its broken battle system.

Amongst the ones you've nvr played, I highly recommend that you play 5 (due to awesome battle system) and 7 (due to the story depth). 6 comes after as the sheer amt of character might turn you off (like me for the first time although I've come to like it). 1 might not seem that good if you've played 4. 2 only if you feel you want to add the number of completed games by 1 as it's rly easy.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
As someone who has completed all the main series FF, I think the only one tht was bad (for me at least) was FF3. I enjoyed playing the others, even the ones ppl disliked such as 2, 8 and 12. 5 has the best battle system IMO and even Bravely Default's battle system was modeled after it. 8 lacked a good villain but the romantic story between Squall and Rinoa was sweet so it got me going through the game. Althought Character Development wise, it's down the drain if you're not Squall or Rinoa. 1 has a simplistic charm to them which I quite liked, even more so than the melodramatic 4. 2 is average, although I find it memorable for its broken battle system.

Amongst the ones you've nvr played, I highly recommend that you play 5 (due to awesome battle system) and 7 (due to the story depth). 6 comes after as the sheer amt of character might turn you off (like me for the first time although I've come to like it). 1 might not seem that good if you've played 4. 2 only if you feel you want to add the number of completed games by 1 as it's rly easy.

I always felt I liked FFVIII more then most did. I get what everyone says about it, but it wasn't that bad. I liked the characters well enough. It's funny seeing all the hate Rinoa gets, when she was probably my favorite character personality wise of the FF8 cast. At least she and Selphie were trying to bring some fun elements to dialogue. But the villain was kinda forgettable from all the other FF games I played. I remember Kuja, Sephiroth, and even the hammy Exdeath and his splinter (That always makes me laugh) but I don't remember much about the time witch from 8, other then she was involved with fusing time or whatever.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Update: There was a sale for FF games on PSN, so I downloaded 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 (total...$20. Whoo!). I played 1 and beat it within 3 or 4 days. Had trouble with the Monk class at first, but it seemed to correct itself, weirdly enough. I went with a Monk, Knight, Red Mage, and Black Mage setup (all named after The Runaway Guys, plus Lucahjin), and the PSN used the original version of the game, so no Hi-Potions or Phoenix Downs for me. Going through the last dungeon and boss with only 99 potions was rough. FF1 came with FF2, so I have that regardless, but looking up the game mechanics for it and what people thought about it online, I was kinda turned off from it. So I decided to skip it and go straight to FF5. Right now I'm in North Mountain, with a Monk, Knight, White Mage and Black Mage. I'll probably do FF6 next. Don't know if I'll do FF2 after that or FF7. Although, by the time I finish FF6, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, and Bravely Second should all be releasing, so 2 and 7 might get pushed to the back burner indefinitely.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
New FFXV gameplay footage from PAX Prime
Game seems to be 80% done now. An extended version of the Dawn preview from Gamescom will be at TGS (Sep 15-18, IIRC). There will be a special FFXV event in March 2016, where FFXV's release date will finally be announced (Tabata has said it will definitely come out before 2017).

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
*typical "Used Phoenix Down On Thread!" comment*

So I ended up finishing FF5 (totally used the final boss glitch because I was just tired of the game), and ended up playing FF6 (I don't know why people gush over Kefka so much). I started FF7, but then another Final Fantasy game came out, Bravely Second, so I played that instead. After that, I wound up playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I just beat it yesterday. I alternated between thinking "am I overleveled?" and "am I underleveled?" Would still recommend it. I heard that FF7's battle animation lengths borders on "don't play this game." Should I give FF7 another go, or just wait for FF15 to come out? (I'm only just now recruiting Aerith, to give you a sense of where I stopped.)

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Do you have a PS4? You'll need a PS4 anyway if you want to play FFVII Remake (or wait another year or so for PC version). FFVII on PS4 has a No Encounter, 2x speed (or was it 3x or 4x?), and Infinite Health/MP cheats that you can toggle on whenever you like (they don't disable trophies). Put on 2x speed, and the long animations won't be a problem.

DiaRubyTandem

The Fastest Comeback
They should also make a Crisis core remake!

The feels ><

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Guys, I do own a PS4! But I already bought FFVII for the Vita, so I figured it wasn't worth it to wait for however long and re-buy it for the PS4 (even with the massive amount of changes they made to it).

Also,
Anyway, if you ever needed another reason to get a PS4, HOLY SHEIT WE DID IT FAM!!! Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age coming to PS4 in 2017! Based SE.

Really?! I missed out on the original. I'm not too fond of the real-time RPG style of battle, but I'm loyal to Ivalice games, so I definitely want to at least give this a chance.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
PS4 has FFVII now, but it's a port of the PC up-port of the PC port of the original PS1 version. FFVII Remake isn't coming out until 2017 at the earliest. Double dip (or however many versions of FFVII you own) on the PS4 version, and just remote play it on Vita if you don't want to play on your TV.

The Zodiac Age will be the very first time the Internal Zodiac Job System releases outside Japan (just like out KHI.5 and II.5 were the first time the Final Mix versions came out outside Japan, or the International versions for FFX and X-2 with the Remasters). It does to vanilla FFXII kinda like what A Realm Reborn did to vanilla FFXIV. You'll be in for a treat anyways.

World of Final Fantasy coming Oct 25th, 2016. FFXV in September, Dragon Quest Builders and this in October. Hoping KHII.8 comes out in November or December!

Lady Umbreon

Amazon just gave me a code for free items in Final Fantasy XIV Online. I don't have that game so anybody with a North American account can have it. The code will only work once so if you use it please PM me and I'll edit this post.

Promo Code: HHGC-WE9W-8YZK-GDG4
Redeem here: https://www.ffxivredeem.com/amazon

The items are:
Original Fat Chocobo Mount
Maid Attire
Butler Attire
Crag Mask
Inferno Mask
99x Magicked Prism (Wings)

Last edited:

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
Anyone playing Brave Exvius now that its out worldwide? What are people thinking of it?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I didn't know this thread was back from the forum graves. Well since this thread's death I played Final Fantasy VI at last. It was good. I find it hilarious that Kefka is such a top rated villain in the FF series when the character has little to no background himself and is evil simply because of a failed experiment on him or something? He's evil for no real reason yet that seems to make him really popular. I mean plenty of FF villains are just evil for the sake of it and are nowhere near as popular as him. Look at time witch from FFVIII, what's her name again? I also hated the Dragons Den bonus dungeon. That maze was more frustrating then any boss in the game, and certainly harder then the two super bosses waiting in them. And doing Sabin's Blitz command was a major pain to figure out especially during the battle time.

But those are just negative stuff. There was plenty I liked in FFVI. I liked Terra, her green hair and her theme that played. All the characters were nice and there were many of them. Most people I see don't seem to like the Yeti character but I actually found more use for him then Cyan by the end of the game. Poor Cyan. The battle system was still really fun to mess around with. The story always kept me entertained. The monster designs were nicely done. Learning Blue Magic was slightly easier this time around then in FFV. But I still had a terrible time learning those LV spells. Learning a few of the characters backstories was cool. And did I mention I liked Terra and her green hair? If I didn't let me just say Terra makes green hair awesome.

Overall I liked FFVI. It was a good playthrough and I most certainly will play it again. I see why people talk about it the way they do. And while it's not my all time favorite, I can see why many call it the best FF. It took many of the elements I loved from FFV and expanded on it and had things that would be seen in later games like FFVII and FFIX. So this was the fifth Final Fantasy game I have now played. I don't know which one to do next. And finally just in case it wasn't clear Terra with her green hair is great.

Navin

MALDREAD
I didn't know this thread was back from the forum graves. Well since this thread's death I played Final Fantasy VI at last. It was good. I find it hilarious that Kefka is such a top rated villain in the FF series when the character has little to no background himself and is evil simply because of a failed experiment on him or something? He's evil for no real reason yet that seems to make him really popular. I mean plenty of FF villains are just evil for the sake of it and are nowhere near as popular as him. Look at time witch from FFVIII, what's her name again? I also hated the Dragons Den bonus dungeon. That maze was more frustrating then any boss in the game, and certainly harder then the two super bosses waiting in them. And doing Sabin's Blitz command was a major pain to figure out especially during the battle time.

But those are just negative stuff. There was plenty I liked in FFVI. I liked Terra, her green hair and her theme that played. All the characters were nice and there were many of them. Most people I see don't seem to like the Yeti character but I actually found more use for him then Cyan by the end of the game. Poor Cyan. The battle system was still really fun to mess around with. The story always kept me entertained. The monster designs were nicely done. Learning Blue Magic was slightly easier this time around then in FFV. But I still had a terrible time learning those LV spells. Learning a few of the characters backstories was cool. And did I mention I liked Terra and her green hair? If I didn't let me just say Terra makes green hair awesome.

Overall I liked FFVI. It was a good playthrough and I most certainly will play it again. I see why people talk about it the way they do. And while it's not my all time favorite, I can see why many call it the best FF. It took many of the elements I loved from FFV and expanded on it and had things that would be seen in later games like FFVII and FFIX. So this was the fifth Final Fantasy game I have now played. I don't know which one to do next. And finally just in case it wasn't clear Terra with her green hair is great.

Have you played IV yet? Old-school fantasy (I played the original version, though there was a DS remake in '07).

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Have you played IV yet? Old-school fantasy (I played the original version, though there was a DS remake in '07).

Sadly I have not. As of now I have only played 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. But I hear good things about 4. I know it has a bunch of remakes and even a sequel the After Years and all.