• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Final thoughts on Team Flare

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
They were almost acting completely out of character during the TF climax. Cameramen? Seriously? Why not give Alexa that role while they goof around TF?

James did not have memorable moments. At all.

Meowth kept being annoying.

Jessie actually had some good things going for her, but her sudden entrance to the Master Class came out of the blue.

DatsRight

They needed more screentime with Ash. Their interactions either alone (Ash with only Jessie/James/Meowth) or the whole TRio were always interesting and entertaining. It's a pity that the closest interactions TR had with the XY Group is only with Meowth and Pikachu's episodes (Pikachu Dreams of Squishy and the Pokeball Frenzy).

Well there were the two Meowth vs Bonnie episodes (even if they repeated a lot of the banter and plot).

Friend or Faux Alike was a very good episode with them playing on the twerps' personalities though.

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
I loved Bonnie!, I loved how the Z saga had more focus on her and Squishy than Ash (up until the league) I secretly hoped that because she has Dedenne, that they were going to replace Ash with her, have a time skip and have her finally become a trainer with the aim of 'catching all the cuties!' but realizing that watching all of Ash/Clemonts battles, she had learned a lot and wants to become a strong trainer - thus taking on gyms, it would be a great reboot with a likable character who I can see being the female version of Ash, excitable, loves every pokemon they see, loving to travel, she's brave too, when others freaked out, she was smiling (I always lol'd at that)

Bonnie was hella better than Max, I'm glad that they made her a 'trainer' in a way by giving her Dedenne and Squishy, her commanding Dedenne to attack was always cool to see.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Well there were the two Meowth vs Bonnie episodes (even if they repeated a lot of the banter and plot).

Friend or Faux Alike was a very good episode with them playing on the twerps' personalities though.
True though there should've been more personalized interactions... I felt like James and to a lesser extent, Meowth didn't do much at all this saga ;.;

DatsRight

Meowth got to do a lot in the showcases for once, and James got a couple spotlight episodes like the Mending a Broken Spirit, but otherwise yeah.

I felt they retired Wobbuffet too quickly as well. Using him prominently in battle was a cool twist, along with those early episodes Inkay and Pumpkaboo, and at rare times even Meowth, were more of a threat.

I still don't get why the writers crave curb stomp battles non stop. Surely a villain that challenges the hero and forces skill and resilience out of them would be more gratifying than just 'Look, they defeated that loser anyone could thrash in their sleep, aren't they awesome?.... No?.... Well what if they do it again in exactly the same way?'.

Last edited:

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
They were definitely better this gen than some of the other gens.

I'm glad they actually gave their Pokemon some personality and focus, Gen 5 was absolutely trash to their Pokemon, no personality and 3 our of the 4 Pokemon they had were never shown getting caught, they just suddenly had them.

Jessie - I'm always happy that they give them a storyline and something to do, the Kalos Queen was pretty much a rip off of contest, without the battles, I would've loved to have seen Jessie get her other 2 keys instead of just magically getting them.

James - His interactions with Inkay was great, his puns weren't...the episode were he was telling Inkay to stay with the Malamar was great and sad but also showed his character a lot.

Meowth - Typical meowth

Wobbuffet - Glad they actually used it a few times instead of it just being it's annoying self.

All in all, Team Rocket weren't bad this gen and I hope that we get to see some more development with their characters and I hope they carry on with giving their Pokemon different personalities, give James something to do for a change, maybe let him take on the trials along side Ash, make him a rival and call him Jameson lol.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
As a character, he was fine. His backstory and personality all were handled well. His desires were fine. His plot involvement was inconsistent at best... If he stayed in the ME specials, I don't think anyone would have cared how Powerful he was, most might have clamored for him to replace Ash. Since he did get introduced to the main cast, well, things took a weird turn

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
As a character, he was fine. His backstory and personality all were handled well. His desires were fine. His plot involvement was inconsistent at best... If he stayed in the ME specials, I don't think anyone would have cared how Powerful he was, most might have clamored for him to replace Ash. Since he did get introduced to the main cast, well, things took a weird turn
I liked his first few episodes in the main anime that he was in but when he entered the League for no good reason, that was pretty bad. But other than that, I enjoyed his importance. Had he not been a last minute "rival" for Ash whom only interacted with him outside of the TF arc with battling him 2-3 times, he would've been fine.

Knuckle Bine

Probably my favorite character in the show since Ash in DP. I liked his characterization, being relatively cool and a bit distant, but also carrying a-lot of passion and competitive spirit inside. Wanting to protect loved ones and be the strongest trainer, but having insecurities that allowed him to be played with. Being a hardcore battler, but completely soft in the way that he treats his Pokemon. He was very different and refreshing [for this show].

This. I couldn't have said it better. That is the word "refreshing", I felt the series more anime-like after he was integrated. He had a motivation, a goal (to protect his loved ones) and he expressed emotions (incredible voice acting by the way). Ash used to be like that in the first seasons (I saw him crying, getting angry, getting excited), I miss that in the series. It seems to me Ash has been acting kind of mechanically in the last seasons, he used to be more passionate.
I love the chemistry Alain and Marin had. I wonder what is going to happen to Mairin now that Alain has decided to help Sycamore. I always though they were going to travel together.

Raxacoricofallapatorius

Exalted Meme Junkie
I didn't despise Alain. My only real quibble was his lack of consistency, but as a character I wasn't opposed to him. He was a powerful Trainer who managed to reignite my interest in Charizard, so he has that going for him.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The few episodes they got to themselves were the best in the series! It was nice seeing them bond with their Pokemon again too, instead of like in BW where they were emotionless drones. It's just a shame they never let the TRio got more than one each, Phantump was never caught by anyone and would have been perfect for James.
I also hated how Meowth NEVER got a damn episode to himself.
James getting back into character and actually caring more about his Pokemon than he does himself was nice. Too bad Inkay never got to fight Malamar again.
And Jessie's episodes were amazing, Gourgeist's evolution episode is still my favorite evolution episode.... right next to the bat's. It was great she left Wobbufett to be happy but he came back to save her and the other two. I just hate how they gave her two keys out of nowhere. At least show her getting them or let her beat Serena two times instead of "accidents". Her performances were WAY more exciting than the FIRE FIRE FIRE spam that Serena pulled each and every showcase. -.-
And Wobbufett being properly used again was excellent. It's not the TRio without him, he's the fourth member of the group for Arceus' sake! Thank Arceus he'll be in Sun/Moon

I really hope Inkay and Gourgeist are allowed to go to Alola with them. They didn't get much time and it'd be a shame to see them disappear.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
They were alright. Enjoyable at times but interrupted things too often. They really shouldn't be in as many episodes any more especially since their whole purpose is to break up momentum for a few minutes and then get blasted off.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Jessie was lukewarm to me until she began entering showcases in X&Y. She was good at them and it was too bad that she wasn't shown winning her last two keys. As for James and Meowth, they were the same as usual.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
To be entirely honest, Team Rocket got on my nerves. It felt like their main purpose was to get blasted off by Ash and his friends. They were at their most competent when they are not trying to steal Pikachu, and often, I wished they would leave Ash alone and go about their other schemes. Instead, they served as annoying interruptions most of the time.

Their characterization, however, was relatively entertaining. Their spotlight episodes were good for a laugh. "A Frenzied Factory Fiasco" and the Squishy dream episode were absolutely hilarious. "A Fork in the Road! A Parting of the Ways" and the Malamar episode showed how much Jessie and James care about their Pokémon and about each other, and I always like episodes like that. Jessie's Showcase performances were surprisingly entertaining (even when they were bad). The overenthusiastic way James cheered for each (and the strange looks he got from the people around him) always made me chuckle.

I really liked their inclusion in the Team Flare arc. I had fully expected them to be their usual goofy, semi-useless selves. Instead, they were woven into the crisis in an interesting way - disguised as news reporters, who kept delivering footage to Kalos even after they ditched their disguises. It was a nice change from the way they are usually depicted in the series.

However, unfortunately, their entertaining characterization and the Team Flare arc do not make up for the fact that, most of the time, their appearance made me groan and want to bang my head against a wall.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Changing the subject, where do we think Alain's character took a nose dive? My guess is when he touched the main anime.

I guess I'm alone in thinking that Alain's character was pretty consistent in terms of quality, cuz to me he never took a nose dive. The only thing I disliked about him was how gullible he was while he worked with Lysandre. He was just too easily led astray.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Overall I feel Clemont was well-liked as a character, but he wasn't treated too well by the writers, and that's putting it as nice as I can. He spent the majority of time being the forgotten one like others here have already stated. Sometimes the best way to judge a character is how are you going to remember them years from now. For me, he was the Lumiose gym leader who was a scientist, older brother to Bonnie, and invented gadgets and such that would blow up on him. I mean it was funny I'll admit. Right now, I remember some of the useful stuff he did like in the TF arc, help fixing the power at a Pokémon center and the power plant too, but down the line...they might be forgotten.

I also wish they showed more brother/sister moments between him and Bonnie too. I hate to say this, but sometimes it felt like Serena had a better relationship with her than he did, which is sad tbh. I say that because it seemed like the Serena/Bonnie moments stuck out more than the Clemont/Bonnie ones did.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
He is the best XY character I've ever seen. I like him since Mega Evolution Act I.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I guess I'm alone in thinking that Alain's character was pretty consistent in terms of quality, cuz to me he never took a nose dive. The only thing I disliked about him was how gullible he was while he worked with Lysandre. He was just too easily led astray.

I don't think his character took a nosedive. But I do think his inclusion in the Kalos League was...awkward, for lack of a better word. It would have been far more satisfying, and made far more sense, if he had entered the League because Lysandre ordered him to, not just because he wanted to battle Ash and other strong Trainers (but mainly Ash). But I don't think that reflects on his character, per se.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I also wish they showed more brother/sister moments between him and Bonnie too. I hate to say this, but sometimes it felt like Serena had a better relationship with her than he did, which is sad tbh. I say that because it seemed like the Serena/Bonnie moments stuck out more than the Clemont/Bonnie ones did.

I agree. TBH, Clemont was practically a doormat when it came to his sister. Aside from a few episodes, there was hardly any meaningful sibling interaction between the two of them. Clemont rarely reprimanded or reigned in Bonnie for her behavior - except when she embarrassed him with her "Marry my brother" gag, but his reaction was part of the gag. If the writers were going to give us a pair of siblings, then they should have utilized that sibling relationship more, and it was a shame they didn't.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Iconic. His five other Pokemon should have gotten prior development/appearances though.

Status
Not open for further replies.