• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Finals I: Torrent (1218)

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Project mew is shady. What do they all plan to do once they find Mew? Goh really thinks he will get to own it…?
That professor gives off major villain vibes.

Sham

The Guardian of War
What do you mean, what?

I said, she doesn't have any reason to care about Ash.

You gave me:

You trashed XY for making superifical gestures without substance, now you're responding to criticism of ash-chloe with..."they did x together"?
And if I did I probably was right. Idk what you’re talking about though.

I’m not giving you sparknotes of anything. You’re implying she doesn’t care about him besides him being the main character which is why she’s here now and I gave you a list of things they’ve done together as friends.

Don’t get upset because she’s not skipping school to prove she’s a good friend so you feel comfortable. It’s almost like she has a life outside of Ash which can’t be said about other characters from other series

If you think a person not constantly dropping what they’re doing to follow you isn’t a good friend might wanna investigate but just an opinion idk

it's not binary lol. The series hasn't actually developed or established any substantial dynamic or motivation at play with her interactions with Ash. There is little reason for her to gaf about ash beyond his status as the main character
This is factually inept. You only dislike Chloe because you got spoiled with another character who revolved her life around them and now you have whiplash

Last edited:

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
this episode was fantastic

• cinderace's entire time on the field was top tier. i loved the scorching sands animation. the part where libero activated and it took the thunderbolt was my favorite part of the episode. i'm excited to see ash adapt to something he's never seen before. it's been a while since that happened
  • i don't know if this was intentional, but tracey specifically celebrated with snorlax when ash got the first W. note that snorlax is the only pokemon that ash caught when tracey was around [that he still owns]. i wonder if that was a subtle orange islands nod
  • inteleon also had a good showing. looked cool asf. the dual wielding, the countershield, sniping the g-max terror, dodging the max ooze- all great
  • i know a lot of people don't like that leon has the three galar starters, but i think it works. gen 8's time is almost up, only a little over three weeks left. so giving the gen 8 starters a good showing in battle is a good sendoff for gen 8
  • mr rime- one of my favorite gen 8 pokemon. the tap dancing is hilarious. the way it casually skated up to gengar to ko it was funny too
  • i didn't know/forgot that freeze-dry could actually freeze. i legit thought it was just another case of the anime taking creative liberties. but nope. it actually does freeze. a decent number of my pokemon know the move but i don't think the freeze has ever activated lol
  • something that adds a lot of points to this battle is that every pokemon is shown with a tailored battle style. cinderace, inteleon, mr rime, and gengar all battled in ways unique to their species. that's always been one of my favorite parts about battles. we saw it with diantha's pokemon, cynthia's pokemon, and with steven's cradily, but that's about it. otherwise it's just been "strong pokemon use strong move"
  • leon is very cool here. the dialogue is fun and he's employing good tactics in battle. this is way better than watching him sweep everybody. also, him praising inteleon after mr rime took out gengar was a very nice touch
and one of my absolute favorite moments is when cursed body activated

"looks like you won't be using freeze-dry for a while"

the confidence in ash's voice and the split screen really added to the impact. and it hits even harder when you stop to realize ash is now at a level where he can just talk to the current-strongest trainer in the world like that and actually back up the smugness in battle. top 1 coolest ash ketchum moment of all time
Quite a difference from the Cynthia battle where he was a lot more tense
And scorching sands animation was pretty nice too, OLM should still have notes on how to do good kicking animations from the Inazuma Eleven days

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Why do they even want to find Mew anyway? Never made sense to me.

If it has anything to do with the origins of Pokémon, they should be looking for Arceus not Mew lol

Good point.

And the most hilarious thing is... Goh's seen Arceus. And he didn't need Project Mew fellas. Only his good old friend Ash AND his new friend Dawn. Plus Brock and Cynthia

(a better line up for an expedition than PM, no offense to Gary and Horace)

pickapika

I’m not giving you sparknotes of anything.
  • Traveled to Ballonlea with Ash
  • Travelled to the Crown Tundra with Ash
  • Travelled to Alola with Ash
  • Travelled to Hoenn with Ash
  • Travelled to Johto with Ash
  • Dug up some old fossils with Ash
  • Joked with Dawn about having a friend who’s obsessed with Pokémon
  • Thought about how she’ll Ash and Goh to forest she went to after the MC
This is literally just a summary of plot points

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Am I the only one who doubted the professor's totally not good guy appearance since day one.
Hmm I’ve said it too
Bunch of teenagers that attack and catch legendaries and do as they please, and being called chasers which is the same thing as hunters but only that they go after living things instead of objects (official definition)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Hmm I’ve said it too
Bunch of teenagers that attack and catch legendaries and do as they please, and being called chasers which is the same thing as hunters but only that they go after living things instead of objects (official definition)
You might actually be right lol

pickapika

in the levels of "uncertainty" it's the same, and causes the same questions as now to be asked as the ones now.

if Tapu-Koko had not interjected itself in the match, how do we know for sure that Ash would've still beaten Kakui?

Cause we don't know who Kakui's last pokemon was, but his others weren't exactly weak and Naganadel and Pikachu had both sustained damage by that point to where it was evened out before said interjection.

Also, recharging their Z-rings didn't exactly make things even, if anything it made it even worse, since the electrium-Z got changed into the pikashnium-Z permanently and it fell to "the nuke" as some call it pretty easily all things considered.

But i'm not going further on this, I do not want to get into fights right now with how the board currently is.
Well the difference here is that, consistently, tapu-koko was potrayed as being above everything else, whether it was in their fights or just how they were operating during world-threatening conflicts. Besdies resolving a personal rivalry(pikachu vs koko), it adds to the ash's accomplishment rather than undermining it.

Otoh the "gimmicks" are consistently potrayed as these big, even unfair, boosts so ash getting 3 and leon getting 1 does the opposite. The actual aquirement of these boosts isn't really done as a result of ash's unique qualities as a trianer, so it gives the sense of "cheating". It also sort of undermines everyone in this competition with Leon evidently not being beatable if you don't get a crazy advantage. Leon off course having basically nothing to justify his status as a supreme unbeatable trainer, is now even more above everyone despite not being a factor for 99 percent of the series.

Ultimately journeys has put basically everything on ash becoming a better trainer(character stuff has been non-existent), and this is the pinnacle of what the entire anime has built up to(ash has not meaningfully changed as a character since the first couple of seasons, and the "resets" have weakened whatever "growth" he's supposed to have experienced and have turned him more into a malleable plot device than a coherent character. Ash's "journey to the top" is the only consistent throughline we've seen throughout the anime).

Putting any potential caveat on this final climatic battle is just incredibly stupid. Ash ketchum becomes better is now reaching it's final resolution as ash ketchum becomes the best and then you just throw "oh, btw, ash is going to use 3 powerups"?

Just stupid

pickapika

I also don't think it's unfair or will undermine a potential Ash victory because the champion is the one who requested it.
It will undermine the idea of Ash being the strongest or this battle reflecting his strength as a trainer, and let's be honest, that's the only reason ash winning would matter in the first place.

In character for leon? sure. But leon doesn't really matter to this story beyond what he represents as a challenge for Ash. Ash climbing the mountain works with a mountain that is solid. It falls to pieces if the mountain sudddenly gets shorter so that Ash can reach it

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
If Ash wins using three power-ups while Leon uses one, it’s just going to be as bad as the Roxie battle and Ash doesn’t deserve to be world champion imo. Though Roxie’s situation is fine-ish, as gym battles seem more of a test from gym leader & you don’t have to be stronger than the gym leader to be worthy of a badge, just worthy in gym leaders eyes of getting the badge (considering Ash’s experience in Unova, he shouldn’t have needed any advantage expcally such a extreme one that Roxie gave him). WCS is completely opposite, or should be, in which the BEST trainer should be World Champion. Ash wouldn’t show he’s worthy of such title if he wins with Leon purposely handicapping himself.

Though who knows, I/we may be worrying too much and Leon could still wipe the floor with Ash even with one power-up, which I’d personally find funny as well as stupid if that happened (& given how OP Leon I’d presented wouldn’t be too surprising). But still, I do dislike Leon gave himself such a disadvantage and Ash accepting to take advantage of it. It’s almost like Leon is looking down on Ash, as he didn’t let the other participants that he challenge use more than one power up like he did with Ash. And I personally find it hurting Ash’s character development accepting/using the advantage given to him.