• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Finals I: Torrent (1218)

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So I'll have more thoughts after the subs come out.

Without context or dialog, I really enjoyed this episode. The battles were good. I liked Dawn and Chloe showing up, the return of the Piplup cheerleader, and Eevee also having a pompom. I know one of my kids is going to love that when we watch it later.

I also liked how Chloe felt out-of-place, and the little animation touches like Cinderace bouncing and Mr. Rime dancing and twirling his stick. The cameos were also nice. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Project Mew, and I hope that we'll get some focus on this after the M8 since it's supposed to be a week-long trip.

And like I said above, I'll have a lot more thoughts on this episode tonight after seeing the fansubs.

or are too miserly and capitalistic to do so.
This is probably the right answer.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Episode 71, in which Goh is introduced to what the objectives of PM would entail, explicitly said that it would be a week long expedition. A full battle, even with a break wouldn't last more than 2 hours tops. Even if they sped things up with a **** ton of convenience, he'll still miss out on the battle.
Cheers for the context, I’ve not watched any of the PM episodes.

That’s absolutely wild haha, I can’t believe they shipped off the other main character in the climax battle of the show. Bold move that, wonder if they aren’t a fan of the character they created!

Look forward to watching this later with subs to see Dawn’s reaction to Counter Shield.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I still think that will be filled by Goh, I find it biazzare from a story perspective that he’s not there
I agree, it's unusual to have a companion completely miss the climax of the series. There's not really a narrative benefit here. Dawn randomly showing up while the other past companions stay home (like Iris??) or flat-out don't appear is also bizarre.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I agree, it's unusual to have a companion completely miss the climax of the series. There's not really a narrative benefit here. Dawn randomly showing up while the other past companions stay home (like Iris??) or flat-out don't appear is also bizarre.

The narrative is that after meeting most of Ash's friends during his goal of getting into Masters 8 while he takes on Project Mew, and learning what they do and where they are now and having to say goodbye to them as they all pursue their goals on their own, the time has come for Goh to do the same thing, and accomplish his goal as Ash does his. It's the most salient theme JN has provided, so it makes sense that Goh leaves now; you can't pursue the goal at the same time your friend does if you do so after your friend finishes it, after all.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
The narrative is that after meeting most of Ash's friends during his goal of getting into Masters 8 while he takes on Project Mew, and learning what they do and where they are now and having to say goodbye to them as they all pursue their goals on their own, the time has come for Goh to do the same thing, and accomplish his goal as Ash does his. It's the most salient theme JN has provided, so it makes sense that Goh leaves now; you can't pursue the goal at the same time your friend does if you do so after your friend finishes it, after all.
Interesting take, that’s a really good way of looking at it to be fair and makes the appearances of all the characters logical.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Interesting take, that’s a really good way of looking at it to be fair and makes the appearances of all the characters logical.

Above any reason for why Ash will beat Leon, this is the main one. Above any power scaling, above any powerup usage, above anything pertaining to Leon's character. Once Goh left to finish PM, Leon's fate was sealed as far as I see it. If this theme is going to stick the landing, Ash and Goh will complete their JN-objectives at roughly the same time.

At the very least, it means both Ash and Goh either win or lose. There will be no one victor between the two

It's also the reason why anyone else being in the stands is ultimately noise. Ash remarks that Leon's got the same species as Goh's Pokemon - this battle is connected to him. It's going for that type of parallel. You can replace Dawn and Chloe with literally anyone else - Serena, Misty, Todd Snap, anyone - and the outcome and significance of Goh will still be the same. Dawn's only here because she's the person closest to Chloe, a current protagonist, so she has someone to talk to while Hop hypes up Leon, I believe.

Last edited:

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
Happy that Cynthia and Diantha are staying.

Letting Ash to use all gimmicks will forever mark this fight with an asterisk too. Seriously dumb. At least go truly full retard and let Leon mememax all the other starters too so that they finally get showcased too. So it's even as well.
They're cramming the cameos so hard and so fast that they become utterly nonsensical, specially when you think about it for five seconds and half of the people there should be there at the stadium too. What's with the Dawn fetish PM has? Nothing against her but seriously.

Only thing I want is for Dragonite to take a W and for the rat to dab on the lizard without Z-Move as the finisher or being a beam struggle.

lanmanna

Yup. Leon got weaker that Ash actually beat a Pokemon of his first.

Geez.

I really dislike how Ash is allowed all 3 gimmicks when Leon only has one. This isn't exactly how Ash can "transcend" all logic when people let him do that in and out of universe.
I mean technically Leon is allowed more too, right? Just seems like he doesn't think he needs to use all 3 to win.

lanmanna

Happy that Cynthia and Diantha are staying.

Letting Ash to use all gimmicks will forever mark this fight with an asterisk too. Seriously dumb. At least go truly full retard and let Leon mememax all the other starters too so that they finally get showcased too. So it's even as well.
They're cramming the cameos so hard and so fast that they become utterly nonsensical, specially when you think about it for five seconds and half of the people there should be there at the stadium too. What's with the Dawn fetish PM has? Nothing against her but seriously.

Only thing I want is for Dragonite to take a W and for the rat to dab on the lizard without Z-Move as the finisher or being a beam struggle.
Not so sure about now, but Dawn was showing up a lot earlier in the series to promote BDSP I'd imagine.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Not so sure about now, but Dawn was showing up a lot earlier in the series to promote BDSP I'd imagine.
Also I guess because she’s the “closest” to the PM cast, especially Chloe to the point where she’s a secondary character alongside Gary (who’s with Goh) so it’d make the most sense to bring her on if they had to choose just one Companion and Iris was put on a bus

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
They are going to have to pay Aoi for all those episodes anyway when the BW remakes comes out soon enough. So understandable.

As far as Dawn, she is here for the same reason that Cynthia Dynaxmed a Togekiss so late in the series. Best girl and you love to see it but that’s why

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Wow I am more impressed than I thought I would be.

few main points:
- Diantha and Cynthia yaaaaas queens so happy theyre still watching
- loved all the other cameos
- I am very happy Ash gets to use all his gimmicks
- Mr. Rime went from like a pokemon i dont care about to a pokemon that is so fun and cool and I am SO pumped for it vs sirfetch'd
- I was hoping for a Misty and Brock cameo tbh even if they didn't speak
- curious what Leon said at the end

ShadowForce720

Yup. Leon got weaker that Ash actually beat a Pokemon of his first.

Geez.

I really dislike how Ash is allowed all 3 gimmicks when Leon only has one. This isn't exactly how Ash can "transcend" all logic when people let him do that in and out of universe.
You do realize that not all of Leon’s Pokémon are at the same level of strength as his Charizard right.

You make it sound like all of Leon’s Pokémon are as strong as his Charizard and can sweep multiple Pokémon even though this has already been disproven by the simple fact that Leon’s Dragapult lost to Diantha’s Tyrantrum which was her 2nd Pokémon.

So no, Leon isn’t weaker just because Ash beat his Pokémon first when it has never been implied that his Inteleon is as strong as his Rillaboom or Charizard.

You might have had a point if the 1st Pokémon that had gone down in the match was Leon’s Rillaboom, but since Leon’s 1st Pokémon to go down was Inteleon which was one of the Pokémon we hadn’t seen him use in battle yet your just point just falls apart.