• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Finals III: Strongest (1220)

Akashin

How you managed to write seven paragraphs all entirely irrelevant to the comment you were replying to, I’m not sure, but I am sort of impressed.

Special attention is indeed drawn to Ash possessing all three gimmicks. Most recently, both by the announcer drawing attention to it at the dawn of the Leon battle, and by Leon himself considering them a part of Ash’s full strength and wanting him to utilize them. Nobody has been seen falling over backwards praising Ash for having them… but neither has literally anybody said that is the case, except you strawmanning it in posts like this.

And I’ll ask again, since this was a central point you were trying to make here… why is the fact that gimmicks are a part of Ash’s arsenal and his strength a bad thing? Is there a reason to this that isn’t gimmicks=bad because reasons? At this point I’m actually sort of curious, because the backbone of the anti-Ash using gimmicks arguments seems to be rooted in their use somehow being a negative. Surely there’s a reason for that?

pickapika

Special attention is indeed drawn to Ash possessing all three gimmicks. Most recently, both by the announcer drawing attention to it at the dawn of the Leon battle, and by Leon himself considering them a part of Ash’s full strength and wanting him to utilize them.
So, IOW, they snuck this in last minuite right before a battle that resolves narrative threads that have been building for decades? Set-up should be proportionate to payoff. This doesn't come close.

Nobody has been seen falling over backwards praising Ash for having them… but neither has literally anybody said that is the case, except you strawmanning it in posts like this.
So the thing which enables him to accomplish his greatest feat and fufill the dream he's held as long as he's existed as a character isn't worth significant praise? Do I really have to spell out for you why that's stupid?
And I’ll ask again, since this was a central point you were trying to make here… why is the fact that gimmicks are a part of Ash’s arsenal and his strength a bad thing? Is there a reason to this that isn’t gimmicks=bad because reasons? At this point I’m actually sort of curious, because the backbone of the anti-Ash using gimmicks arguments seems to be rooted in their use somehow being a negative. Surely there’s a reason for that?

Here ya go:
Here are the things that have actually been shown to be important, not only over the course of this season, but over the course of the anime as a whole.

A. Ash's unpredictablity/creativity is unrivalled
B. (this is the big one) Ash's "boooooond" with his pokemon is "special"
C. Ash getting more skilled(this is often executed terribly, but it's consistently emphasized)

Does Lucario megaevolving demonstrate a, b, or c? No. Nothing about Ash and Lucario's interactions set them apart from how Ash interacts with other pokemon. Ash-Pikachu has way more to it, yet pikachu doesn't mega evolve. So, as far as what we're shown. Mega-evolution is a gimmick. It shows us nothing that's actually established to be special for ash.

Z moves? No.

Daimax? No.

Ash needing these gimmicks to win shows us that the in the areas that actually define how Ash is perceived as a battler and a person, Ash hasn't gotten far enough to be the best.

Beating Leon without extra gimmicks shows us Ash has progressed. Needing gimmicks to wins shows us he hasn't therefore undermining any meaningful takeaway from Ash winning

TheNewGuy

What I asked was what "ASH gleamed". I'm aware what Paul's development was. Though you seem to be forgetting what actually set it off. It wasn't seeing ash bonding with his pokemon, it wasn't Ash's bond with monfero, it was Paul learning Ash had beaten Brandon from a throw away line of dialogue. And to make matters worse, during his battle with Brandon, Paul is praised for having a strong bond with his pokemon, ya know, after he has to be told to take them to the poke-center? Is Paul's approach considered a valid and legitimate alternative? Or is Paul an idiot who needed a course correction? Maybe you know, but I'm pretty sure the writers didn't. We're told the latter and shown the former simulateously, and then we're told the former, and shown the latter simultaeously.

Ash learns basically nothing from Paul, and Paul's own "arc" itself isn't coherent. Kukui and Gary are internally consistent characters whose relationship with Ash organically builds from what's established. They don't eat up nearly as much time, and yet deliver comparable substance as they're actually written as a part of the universe as opposed to "aha cool and edgy!"

Yes, after he became a completely different person on hearing that Ash had beaten Brandon. Which again, was botched.

Good thing I specifcally argued Ash didn't develop, thank you though for wasting a paragraph pushing back on something I didn't argue.

Except it didn't:

Show, don't tell, friend, show don't tell.

The only way ash can actually have argued to have "developed" is he didn't completely break down when he was down a pokemon, something he never did anyway, besides Lake Acuity. "Ash is emotional" was not actually shown as a flaw until it became convenient to. Again, supeficial af

Cynthia's quote which was repeated and referenced multiple times, and then interlapsed with Ash and Paul's final interaction(iow it's made out to be really ****ing important), very specfically was referencing the philsophical difference between Ash and Paul and how they treat their pokemon. Paul has already completely transformed before he sees what Ash has done with monfero. And Ash learns nothing despite cynthia(and then other cast members) "both-siding" the two repeatedly(completely out of character btw)

Except for the part where nothing actually "comes with it". One character has changed(Paul) and that change takes place waaay before anything in the battle happens. But yeah, definitely not pretending.

More importantly, Paul, unlike Gary or Kukui, affects nothing. He hasn't changed Ash, he hasn't changed the world around him(despite initally being established to be in complete defiance of everything and everyone in the pokemon universe). He offers nothing beyond the fact he's a good battler. Competence(sometimes) does not make a strong character

Sorry, but the question was "what development precisely was present in Ash/Paul?", so I highlighted said development. I agree Paul developed more in the rivalry than Ash, but that was necessary because Paul's abusive training methods were wrong.

I don't think the show at any point argues that Paul's method is "idiotic". It's clearly effective and the Pokemon he keeps and that survive his baptism by fire are dedicated to him. It doesn't work for a lot of his Pokemon, hence why he releases them often. It's shown as horrific and flawed and totally without sentiment, but effective to a point. It can be both of those things. You're creating a dichotomy where there doesn't need to be one.

Arguing that Ash wasn't stronger at the end of DP is arguing Ash regressed or stayed the same. That runs counter to what you said in another thread that Ash has never regressed and has in fact constantly improved saga-to-saga (https://forums.serebii.net/threads/would-kukui-make-the-masters-8.704221/post-19502548). Ash was driven by Paul throughout the series and attempting to beat him was a key factor in said progression.

Paul's change is not an immediate 180 post-Brandon, that's just when the changes started. He was still rude and dismissive of Barry when they met in the Infernape evolution episode, only showing him some respect later after their battle. He didn't abuse his Pokemon during the Acuity battle but didn't compliment them either. Only when he's beaten at the league does that happen, and it only happens with one of his Pokemon. Paul's copying of Counter Shield is also a new behaviour for him that's only exhibited in the battle itself. So no, the change is not just on a dime and it's not all done and dusted well before the battle itself. Nothing to "pretend" about when dealing with established fact. As for him not changing Ash, Ash comes out of the rivalry a stronger trainer (something you agree with). Personality wise, Paul is the one who actually needed to change so it's appropriate that he does.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah Im done with this argument lmao
The whole thing is going in circles and at this point is getting ignorant
Acting like Ash possessing all three gimmicks wasnt something to marvel and wasnt shown in the anime is just blindfolded watching to me
Ash haters can try and pretend all they want that Ash not getting nerfed means he isnt stronger and try to downplay his achievement next episode, I dont really care at this point, this whole argument is getting stupid
How you managed to write seven paragraphs all entirely irrelevant to the comment you were replying to, I’m not sure, but I am sort of impressed.

Special attention is indeed drawn to Ash possessing all three gimmicks. Most recently, both by the announcer drawing attention to it at the dawn of the Leon battle, and by Leon himself considering them a part of Ash’s full strength and wanting him to utilize them. Nobody has been seen falling over backwards praising Ash for having them… but neither has literally anybody said that is the case, except you strawmanning it in posts like this.

You pretty much summed up a response perfectly already. The mental hula hoops the people are going through just arent making sense to me anymore

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I've said it before, but the issue is that the rule change only benefits Ash, and Leon not having something (3 gmaxes, or multiple gimmicks himself) doesn't really serve that much of a narrative purpose. It's like with Ash vs Volkner where it just doesn't feel that satisfying for him to win due to extra advantages over his opponent. Ash vs Guzma gets away with it because the latter not having Z moves is part of his story, while there's not much reason Leon is only using 1 Gmax and nothing else (even the whole Gmax limit thing was never established in the anime until now)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I've said it before, but the issue is that the rule change only benefits Ash, and Leon not having something (3 gmaxes, or multiple gimmicks himself) doesn't really serve that much of a narrative purpose. It's like with Ash vs Volkner where it just doesn't feel that satisfying for him to win due to extra advantages over his opponent. Ash vs Guzma gets away with it because the latter not having Z moves is part of his story, while there's not much reason Leon is only using 1 Gmax and nothing else (even the whole Gmax limit thing was never established in the anime until now)
The G max limit does exist in the games though
So we can't really say the anime retconned it at the last moment when we see Leon needs to recharge Dynamax band to use it again
And again, before the rule change only Ash was nerfed, not Leon. So same logic

Ash-Pikachu

It doesn't? Does it not up the stakes of the fight and cement Leon as the strongest trainer in the world (as we know for now) if Ash requires his full power to battle Leon despite only needing one of his trump cards for his prior battles? It literally sets the fight on an entirely different level when Ash is playing all of his cards this time around.

Think about it. Ash started off using Gmax and Mega Evolution very early on. Leon is still capable of keeping up. We are eventually shown that the battle shifted more in Leon's favor once Ash exhausted his trump cards. The necessity of those trump cards early on established Leon as a more competitive player who gradually overtook Ash once he exhausted those options. It sort of puts into question whether Ash can turn things around with Pikachu.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Anyway all that stuff aside (seriously someone please volunteer to slap me out of getting into never ending discussions about the same thing over and over again), I realised I never posted a proper review after watching it subbed so here we go

- The stream I watched this live in was crappy so watching it in HD was glorious. Especially the Dragon Rush animation sequence against Rillaboom, that was just beautifully done. Dracovish for the first time actually looked really intimidating (it looking goofy wasn't something i ever actually minded, but still fun to see it be a serious monster for once)
- Cinderace animation was really nice. I like how it high jump kicked Dracovish around
- One thing i absolutely love is Iwane's tendency to go for full wide shots to show the climax of a battle (like Cinderace vs Dracovish), it's always cool to see. A simple yet effective trick
- Leon's commentatory has been so fun to hear, stark contrast to his boring in game commentatory in SwSh. I love how cocky he is, I love how consistently both Leon and Ash are drawn sharply and as badasses
- I'm enjoying Dawn's commentatory more than i think I did. I'm glad she isn't just a spectator for the views, the few dialogues she does get also feels like it has care put into them to make sure to sound in character and as a veteran to Ash's craziness and long time supporter. I didn't realise how nice and fun it would be to see Dawn cheer for Ash again, and it is fun!!!
- Also someone earlier during the airing claimed Dawn called out Chloe for not watching Ash's matches. When did that happen? If anything it showed how Dawn knew Ash's style much better while Chloe didn't get it the way she did, which I like, playing into her being a veteran
- Chad fetch. Once again, I'm so happy this battle feels like a PROPER culmination of all of Ash's JN mons upto now with all of their full potential being shown off satisfyingly. Sirfetchd probably had the best instance of assists without getting a W but being pivotal in this anime than anyone else. Love they visually emphasise the assists with the Lucario high fiving Sirfetchd and dracovish dragon rushing with the duck's image
- Kinda doooo wish though that Dragonite took down Rillaboom and Dracovish took down Cinderace before fainting to Charizard. But then again that would have things too predictable and Ash's victory too predictable compared to the curveball we get with Cinderace still being in the back, casting doubts on Ash winning

JN finally completes the gimmicks showdowns
- Mega vs Mega
- Mega vs Z move
- Mega vs Dyanamax
- Dynamax vs Dynamax
- Z move vs Z move andddd
- Z move vs Dynamax

And man what a clash it was. I always liked 10MV but JN has really made me appreciate it as THE Pikachu finisher and a culmination of their bond as well as it looking so cool. Seriously though, EVERY 10MV moment in the anime has always been epic. Frying Lusamine, beating Mimikyu, the best animated sequence of beating Tapu Koko, Volkner, Kukui 2.0, Steven and now here.

- LOVED the throwback and reference to Ash vs Kukui with how the Z move clash played out, the revolving shot returning, the ground breaking the same way. Obviously not as high quality as it was in SM but if the preview is anything to go by, next episode has the animation sakuga covered, possibly topping Ash vs Kukui's final clash at long last

- Leon being hyped about the Z move legit felt like a dialogue written for me lol, same Leon, same

- The cut away to Eternatus was too early and long, agreed. Do like the ending though and especially love how it appears reminiscent to ep13, the first Leon episode in JN. Things come full circle!!!

Another 10/10 episode. 10,9.5,10 and next week looks to be another solid 10. Gosh Ash vs Leon might actually triumph everything, let's see what happens!!!
So hyped

DayQuil95

Anyway all that stuff aside (seriously someone please volunteer to slap me out of getting into never ending discussions about the same thing over and over again), I realised I never posted a proper review after watching it subbed so here we go

- The stream I watched this live in was crappy so watching it in HD was glorious. Especially the Dragon Rush animation sequence against Rillaboom, that was just beautifully done. Dracovish for the first time actually looked really intimidating (it looking goofy wasn't something i ever actually minded, but still fun to see it be a serious monster for once)
- Cinderace animation was really nice. I like how it high jump kicked Dracovish around
- One thing i absolutely love is Iwane's tendency to go for full wide shots to show the climax of a battle (like Cinderace vs Dracovish), it's always cool to see. A simple yet effective trick
- Leon's commentatory has been so fun to hear, stark contrast to his boring in game commentatory in SwSh. I love how cocky he is, I love how consistently both Leon and Ash are drawn sharply and as badasses
- I'm enjoying Dawn's commentatory more than i think I did. I'm glad she isn't just a spectator for the views, the few dialogues she does get also feels like it has care put into them to make sure to sound in character and as a veteran to Ash's craziness and long time supporter. I didn't realise how nice and fun it would be to see Dawn cheer for Ash again, and it is fun!!!
- Also someone earlier during the airing claimed Dawn called out Chloe for not watching Ash's matches. When did that happen? If anything it showed how Dawn knew Ash's style much better while Chloe didn't get it the way she did, which I like, playing into her being a veteran
- Chad fetch. Once again, I'm so happy this battle feels like a PROPER culmination of all of Ash's JN mons upto now with all of their full potential being shown off satisfyingly. Sirfetchd probably had the best instance of assists without getting a W but being pivotal in this anime than anyone else. Love they visually emphasise the assists with the Lucario high fiving Sirfetchd and dracovish dragon rushing with the duck's image
- Kinda doooo wish though that Dragonite took down Rillaboom and Dracovish took down Cinderace before fainting to Charizard. But then again that would have things too predictable and Ash's victory too predictable compared to the curveball we get with Cinderace still being in the back, casting doubts on Ash winning

JN finally completes the gimmicks showdowns
- Mega vs Mega
- Mega vs Z move
- Mega vs Dyanamax
- Dynamax vs Dynamax
- Z move vs Z move andddd
- Z move vs Dynamax

And man what a clash it was. I always liked 10MV but JN has really made me appreciate it as THE Pikachu finisher and a culmination of their bond as well as it looking so cool. Seriously though, EVERY 10MV moment in the anime has always been epic. Frying Lusamine, beating Mimikyu, the best animated sequence of beating Tapu Koko, Volkner, Kukui 2.0, Steven and now here.

- LOVED the throwback and reference to Ash vs Kukui with how the Z move clash played out, the revolving shot returning, the ground breaking the same way. Obviously not as high quality as it was in SM but if the preview is anything to go by, next episode has the animation sakuga covered, possibly topping Ash vs Kukui's final clash at long last

- Leon being hyped about the Z move legit felt like a dialogue written for me lol, same Leon, same

- The cut away to Eternatus was too early and long, agreed. Do like the ending though and especially love how it appears reminiscent to ep13, the first Leon episode in JN. Things come full circle!!!

Another 10/10 episode. 10,9.5,10 and next week looks to be another solid 10. Gosh Ash vs Leon might actually triumph everything, let's see what happens!!!
So hyped
Really glad to see you share my opinion on Ash vs Leon, for me this battle has the potential to surpass Ash vs Paul by the fourth part, it's already my second favorite battle in the anime.

pickapika

It doesn't? Does it not up the stakes of the fight and cement Leon as the strongest trainer in the world (as we know for now) if Ash requires his full power to battle Leon despite only needing one of his trump cards for his prior battles? It literally sets the fight on an entirely different level when Ash is playing all of his cards this time around.
what exactly is achieved by cementing Leon, a last minuite addition with little to no substance or history as the "strongest traiiner in the world"? Ash is the character whose rise has been built up to. Leon is a rando who barely has anything to them beyond "strongest trainer in the world"(which is somewhat story breaking given he is never mentioned by anyone before journeys)

How strong leon is doesn't really affect the stakes because leon, looking at pokemon holsitically, does not matter. Ash matters to pokemon's narrative. If Ash potentially climbing to the top of the world hangs in the balance, you have stakes. If ash isn't the strongest, even if he does win, the "stakes" have been ruined.

pickapika

Yeah Im done with this argument lmao
The whole thing is going in circles and at this point is getting ignorant
Acting like Ash possessing all three gimmicks wasnt something to marvel and wasnt shown in the anime is just blindfolded watching to me
Ash haters can try and pretend all they want that Ash not getting nerfed means he isnt stronger and try to downplay his achievement next episode, I dont really care at this point, this whole argument is getting stupid

You pretty much summed up a response perfectly already. The mental hula hoops the people are going through just arent making sense to me anymore
-> Reposts a question I answered in depth,
-> ignores that in depth-answer
-> cries that people disagreeing with them are "haters"

lol

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Really glad to see you share my opinion on Ash vs Leon, for me this battle has the potential to surpass Ash vs Paul by the fourth part, it's already my second favorite battle in the anime.
It's definitely surpassed Ash vs Sawyer, Alain and Cynthia for me assuming next week's animation is indeed good and the ep is atleast satisfying
Now, can it beat Kukui and Paul, it certainly has the chance to beat Kukui, for Paul ig the nostalgia and Paul's rivalry writing will always make it difficult for me to put it as no. 1, but just taking the battle as a vacuum I can see it definitely surpassing it and imo has already surpassed it

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
-> Reposts a question I answered in depth,
-> ignores that in depth-answer
-> cries that people disagreeing with them are "haters"

lol
I didn't ignore it lol, it was just going in circles again which is why I said I was done, its not rocket science anyway what we are debating, i don't see the point of continuing it further.
Also didn't say the third point at all but okay

pickapika

I didn't ignore it lol, it was just going in circles again which is why I said I was done, its not rocket science anyway what we are debating, i don't see the point of continuing it further.
Also didn't say the third point at all but okay
It's clearly rocket science for you

pickapika

. That runs counter to what you said in another thread that Ash has never regressed and has in fact constantly improved saga-to-saga (https://forums.serebii.net/threads/would-kukui-make-the-masters-8.704221/post-19502548). Ash was driven by Paul throughout the series and attempting to beat him was a key factor in said progression.
let's check what I said:
The factual reason Ash is older and is explicitly noted to be getting better/stronger basically every season. The quality of "feats' is entirely dependent on the scaling of the opponents they take palce against, and that is going to largely be determined by Ash's unquestioned progression as a trainer throughout the saga.
And where is it indicated or commentated that Ash has regressed? As gary implied iregarding sinnoh and hoenn, the in-universe explanation for Ash's unova struggles isn't "ash got weaker", it's "unova is a stronger region". Like it or not, ash regressing isn't actually part of the text, it's just fans coping with bad writing.
TLDR: We are told ash is stronger. But what we are told contradicts parts of what we are shown:
As opposed to ash empowering his opponent for no reason, and falling for the same trap 4 times for no reason?
The post you linked was specifcially talking what the power-scaling is, not how how well written the power scaling is.

Ash vs Paul the battle does not demonstrate ash is a better battler than he was before. The only reason we can extrapolate that is other things in the text which the battle contradicts. The only discernible difference for Ash is that

A. Ash doesn't lose his **** when he goes behind(something which wasn't an issue for ash outside of fights with Paul)

B. His pokemon are stronger(something that would happen with or without Paul over the course of the season)

You can take Paul out of the story entirely, and nothing really changes about Ash or anyone/anything else in the pokemon world. Take kukui out of the story, everything about guzma and the alola league changes. Take Gary out of the story, Ash is different. The only thing different without Paul is that Ash doesn't get infernape. And guess what, take out infernape, and nothing changes regarding Ash.

Paul is set up as an instrument of change, yet ends up changing nothing. I'd say that's botched. But to each their own.
Sorry, but the question was "what development precisely was present in Ash/Paul?", so I highlighted said development. I agree Paul developed more in the rivalry than Ash, but that was necessary because Paul's abusive training methods were wrong.
They were wrong, yet are treated as potentially valid by a bunch of characters who, in every other context, are vehemently opposed when they see that type of approach. The problem isn't that Paul is different, its that Paul is not consistently treated as different. And that's before we delve into the actual specfics of how his character progression is executed..
I don't think the show at any point argues that Paul's method is "idiotic". It's clearly effective and the Pokemon he keeps and that survive his baptism by fire are dedicated to him. It doesn't work for a lot of his Pokemon, hence why he releases them often. It's shown as horrific and flawed and totally without sentiment, but effective to a point. It can be both of those things. You're creating a dichotomy where there doesn't need to be one.
Not taking your pokemon to the pokemon center is idiotic. This nuance you're inserting into the narrative isn't actually there. Paul doesn't act indifferent or apathetic at points. He's not cold or emotionally distant. He is outright hostile and constantly instigating conflict for the most micro of aggressions and the only context the narrative he offers is "paul looked up to his brother, his brother lost, paul hates human affection" (delivered over flat-ass exposition) and yet half of the commentary on Paul from other characters is, "ehh, he's a little different" in a world where friendship -> strength/power is baked into every aspect of the story.

Contrast early Paul with early Iris, a character whose relationship with reset bw ash has the same basic dynamic. Iris has notes of Paul's elitism and condescension, but there are also notes of insecurity, child-like impulsiveness, and there is actual ****ing motivation behind the way she acts which can be gleamed subtextually from how she interacts with Ash.

Iris is not some complex character study, but she does come across as a person. Paul comes across as a caricature.

Until the post-brandon bit, Paul's literally just a team rocket henchman masquerading as a 10 year old. Paul certainly offers a subversive aesthtic, but he doesn't have the substance to back it up.
Paul's change is not an immediate 180 post-Brandon
Yeah, let's talk about that Brandon bit first. Paul learns Ash beat brandon and is shocked, this is a solid start.

During the battle, Paul acts rationally, as he does in basically every other fight, and plans various strategies, sees them all go up in smoke because Brandon's pokemon are too strong. Paul doesn't panic, he doesn't make mistakes he shouldn't make, and then Brandon tells him "you clearly have a strong bond with your pokemon, but you need to control your emotions!" Again, we are shown one thing, and told another.

Afterwards Paul has become respectful of Ash, requests a full battle to truly test himself vs this brandon-beater, and wins with grace instead of gloating.

Paul has completely changed, because Brandon tells him something which has jackshit to do with what actually happened when they fought. Paul did not lose because he lost control of his emotions. He lost because his pokemon were weaklings by comparisons. Yet brandon praises the bond he has with his pokemon(which implicitly would be observed via the strength of his mons), and criticizes Paul's composure(which would be observed via how he uses his pokemon).

Again, botched
, that's just when the changes started. He was still rude and dismissive of Barry when they met in the Infernape evolution episode
Uh...no. Barry goes to Paul, and instigates trying to flex and stan him simulateously. When Paul encounters Ash, who interacts with him like a normal peeson, Paul interatcs with ash, like a normal person.
, only showing him some respect later after their battle.
Paul literally, in the mildest way possible, advises Barry not to disrespect everyone. Paul is extremely respectful before their fight. Again, Brandon completely mischaracterizes why he wins, and because of this screw up, Paul has gone from a one-note persistent instigator, to the anime's ultimate defender of proper ettiquitte.

Then, when he appears to have won a tightly contested fight against Ash where Infernape took out two of his pokemon, he suddenly reverts back to Paul 1.0, tuns to the side and dismisses Infernape as "pathetic".

Your man doesn't just 180. He 180's one way, 180's another way, does a triple soumersault, and lands on his head. Post-Brandon Paul is the first time sinnohs' writers actually go for some nuance, and they are so, so over their heads, that **** falls apart over 4 episodes. Not sure if this is the same team that thought Alain was Anakin Skywalker, but boi does it feel the same.
Paul's copying of Counter Shield is also a new behaviour for him that's only exhibited in the battle itself. So no, the change is not just on a dime and it's not all done and dusted well before the battle itself.
I'm much too lazy to go back and break down Paul's previous battle strategies, so sure. I'll take your word for it.
He didn't abuse his Pokemon during the Acuity battle but didn't compliment them either. Only when he's beaten at the league does that happen, and it only happens with one of his Pokemon.
Sure. Doesn't really make up for everything else... But noted.

Last edited:

Ash-Pikachu

what exactly is achieved by cementing Leon, a last minuite addition with little to no substance or history as the "strongest traiiner in the world"? Ash is the character whose rise has been built up to. Leon is a rando who barely has anything to them beyond "strongest trainer in the world"(which is somewhat story breaking given he is never mentioned by anyone before journeys)

How strong leon is doesn't really affect the stakes because leon, looking at pokemon holsitically, does not matter. Ash matters to pokemon's narrative. If Ash potentially climbing to the top of the world hangs in the balance, you have stakes. If ash isn't the strongest, even if he does win, the "stakes" have been ruined.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying there is definitely a narrative reason behind Ash using all of his trump cards. Diantha or Cynthia remark that it will be the greatest match up until this point once the rule was overruled and we sort of see how this plays into the battle.