• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Finals IV: Partner (1221)

BlobbiBoi

I gotta be honest, I never really saw Leon as cocky, arrogant or someone who underestimated Ash. Leon is a showman and taunting opponents or saying cool lines during a battle is a part of the whole performance. He didn't allow Ash to use all three gimmicks because he saw him as weaker, but because he wanted the finale to be a spectacle and he wanted Ash to throw everything at him for the sake of maximum enjoyment.

You can tell he didn't even mind losing to Ash, he was genuinely pleased with the outcome, so you can't even say "that cocky Leon underestimated Ash and then he ended up losing" because Leon's reaction to being defeated does not match that interpretation whatsoever.

So I really don't get where this Leon interpretation is coming from.

Its the same reason people insist on comparing Leon to Tobias - because Pokemon has never had a Champion that didn't have a side hobby that took up a significant part of their time. Every other Champion to date juggled their time with another activity. Its easier to make the claim Leon's strength is some 'deus-ex-machina' than accept that every other Champion we have spends a good chunk of their time on side hobbies and other stuff.

It also misses the point the point that Gym Leaders in Galar are public celebrities and the gym circuit is a national sport shown all over the region. Of course Leon talks big and acts larger-than-life in battle. He's as much about entertaining as he is winning. That's his job.

I've said it before too but in any other series with logical progression where the main character was allowed to stay at their 'peak' from season to season, Leon would have been seen as a natural progression. Instead he's seen as "grossly overpowered" for a character who's cleared six regions and stopped several world-ending threats lol.

Rampardo

Anyone else disappointed with the music used here? Why would they use all those slow sounding songs when the action was so exciting? It very much degraded the battle for me.

Garbodor.

Hands down THE BEST pokemon battle I have ever seen. I take my hat off to the animators. Our Boys Ash and Pikachu did it. Just perfect, 11/10 episode.

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
When do we find out ratings for this episode? It seemed like an event in Japan. I still can't believe they broadcasted it on the jumbotrons.

KukuiFanatic501

Well, I'm willing to accept that I was wrong. Way to go Ash!! I'm proud of you!

Although I'm nervous this means the show is ending or Ash is going away at the end of JN now.
Unless the anime itself ends, Ash is still likely to stay. He’s already said beating Leon isn’t going to give him his goal and with regions like Paldea not being in the PWC it still leaves room for stronger opponents.

KukuiFanatic501

Well; Ash is now the best trainer in the world.

I assume this is the end for Ash; and we'll be swapping either to a new protag or Goh; depending on how Project Mew goes. Ash has acheived his goal. There is nowhere for his story to go from here. And it'll be really hard to belive anyone in Paldea could challenge him considering we didn't see a single Paldean trainer in the *World* Coronation Series.
Defeating Leon is only another step towards becoming a Pokémon master, Ash has already said so himself.

There’s still plenty more for him to go from here.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I AM SO HAPPY THEY GAVE MISTY SUCH AN INCREDIBLE DESIGN!!!:eek:
Much better than her SM design, so this has made my day!!:oops:

18f5f4ade5132f9cc94b9c5b9e6ed63823cd3e76.jpg
They finally got her into the outfit from the original games..

I can’t help but be underwhelmed by the battle, sure it was cool having the entire ensemble of Ash’s companions watching and all of his previous Pokémon (including Larvitar and Nebby, mind you) show up in Pikachu’s memory, with voice acting for the likes of Pidgeot etc, but.. Chonkachu lasted a single attack (that’s not how G-Max works) and Cinderace went down in one hit. I also honestly never could get into Leon’s character, but eh.. Ash and Pikachu won their biggest battle ever, so that’s cool?

Also May’s contest outfit design is.. eh.. After seeing her Wallace Cup one, this is a massive downgrade and they definitely only made her that way to blend with Serena..

ShuckFam

This is just my imagination but if Ash's journey really does end in Journeys, could you imagine if we periodically got twilight wings-style episodes on youtube that documented Ash's journey after Journeys? Imagine getting to see episodes that show him facing challengers for his crown. Man, that would be cool.

Trillion

all hail OPeakachu

i don't even know where to start. i have been watching this show since 2002 as a 6, going on 7-year-old. at first it was just reruns of kanto and orange islands on either cartoon network or kid's wb [may have been both, i can't remember]. then i actually started keeping up with new episodes at the very end of johto when the larvitar/unown episode premiered in the US, which was 2003 according to bulba. so it's been 19 years. that's most of my life. i was there for the johto league loss, hoenn loss, action replay loss, unova loss, kalos loss, alola win, and now the crowing of the world champion. i expected a good episode but this exceeded my expectations by far. everything was superb from the animation to the dialogue to the voice acting itself.

• despite how short it was, i thought g-max cinderace was very cool. loved the way it tried to fight off the g-max volt crash
  • the scene of leon telling charizard to to take the iron tail to make sure it could get a clean hit in with dragon pulse was dope
  • all the companions. it was awesome to finally see misty, may, max, and cilan. and cool to see that serena knows may and max; and that brock and cilan still kept in touch. alexa was unexpected but it was nice to see her too
  • i'm pretty sure cinderace going down was the first time we saw leon look visibly worried in a battle
  • that scene when all you could hear was pikachu breathing was suspenseful. then they showed ash and all the companions looking worried and pikachu dropped. i was legit thought that there was a possibility that ash was gonna lose
  • i noticed a lot of people didn't like the scene where pikachu woke up in the pokemon center. i did though. it added to the suspense since i still wasn't sure if he won or lost at that point
  • the way charizard went down was so well done. it looked like pikachu killed it lmao. and even after that happened i was still worried the battle would end in a draw since pikachu was at his limit. i was just hoping dan would hurry up and make the call before pikachu collapsed

but the best moment of the episode had to be all of the past pokemon showing up. ALL of the past pokemon. it took a few seconds for me to even process that that was squirtle- like i saw it, but it was so unexpected that i reacted late to it lol. then butterfree and pidgeot came thru and i'm like.. ok wait a minute. then i see primeape, lapras, larvitar, goodra, nebby, and even ambipom- despite it being traded. showing ambipom with the AG team instead of the DP team was such a nice attention to detail btw. i saw a review video where the person described that whole scene as "a hug to the longtime fans" and i couldn't agree more. so many memories are attached to those different teams. i got emotional, ngl

10000000/10