• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Finals Not for the Faint-Hearted! (933)

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
Rewatching this, I'm better about the battle.

Absolute hate that Pikachu took out TWO powerful Pokemon, and Noivern lost for no reason other than well gotta give something to Hawlucha.

Unfortunately the preview for next episode makes it perfectly clear, I will hate the next episode. The league may have been a very good league, if it didn't absolutely treat a lot of Ash's Pokemon like trash. And for someone who ACTUALLY cares about his Pokemon, I'm really not happy.

But there's not a god damn thing I can do, except sit through the writers laughing cruelly, giving Ash's Pokemon (except the special or lucky ones) the middle finger.

But I guess objectively for the battle in of itself NOT counting the series as a whole, but as if the battle existed without CONTEXT, I guess it was decent.

I'm glad that you at least found some decency within the fight. I too feel upset by these flaws, with the obvious one being Noivern as the fall guy, but I feel as if they made up for it with Hawlucha coming out and checking on him.

Yes, the battles could have been done better. I will admit that. But quick question, WHY would you think you would hate the next episode because of the preview? I mean, we have little context from other than the 40 seconds we got, the confirmation that the final battle is of course Greninja VS Charizard, and the fact that this is Ash's biggest battle to date.

It makes you feel like a kid again, cheering for Ash on the biggest stage. So many things went wrong for him back when he was still trying to perfect the transformation together with Greninja, it makes a lot of sense for his frustrations and angst to all come to fruition in the next episode. The narrative just screams: Yeah, we're doing this. We're having Ash win the Pokémon League.

But again, I'm sure you'll call that out on BS as well. Honestly, can't you just find a little fun in these episodes? Critique all you want, but maybe mention a few positives here and there. Heck, just say the animation's great and we'd all agree. It's phenomenal here. Again, just a suggestion. Do what you want.

Janovy

Banned
But again, I'm sure you'll call that out on BS as well. Honestly, can't you just find a little fun in these episodes? Critique all you want, but maybe mention a few positives here and there. Heck, just say the animation's great and we'd all agree. It's phenomenal here. Again, just a suggestion. Do what you want.
Ah, if only all people took this advice.

Sadly people only ever wanna do this with XY. With other series people don't give a crap about focusing on the positives. :rolleyes:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Alain notes that "those eyes" are what get him so excited to battle, and that's why he's so drawn to battling Ash.
By any chance is there a name for this pairing?

-Mairin notes that Alain is smiling, and that it's a face she's never seen before from him.
The lies :/

I guess we just had to have one last healthy(?) dose of Ash uplifting and being admired by the cast...

Last edited:

Franckie

I'd prefer the animation be slowed down a bit to savor the development. Finally, after 20+ years, Ash made it to the finals! Alain is one of the better developed rivals Ash has had in a long, long time. Sure, there were some hiccups along the way, like with Noivern's continued status as jobber and Pikachu KO-ing two pseudo-legendaries (lol), but other than that I thought the episode wasn't too bad. In particular I enjoyed the exchange between Talonflame and Unfezant. Could have used some better tie-ins too. Where is Ash's mom, for example?

Going off the previous for next episode, I'm predicting Charizard defeats Pikachu, Bisharp vs. Goodra is a double-KO, and as for Greninja vs. Charizard... I don't know. It could go either way, possibly even a tie. Either way it's good to see the writers give Ash the treatment he deserves after so many ridiculous years of jobbing in leagues.

magicallypuzzled

i have been on vacation and only just know had a chance to see this in its entirety and this is a good no a very good episode for sure. that said it comes far to late to save this from being the worst league ever. it's also got to be the worst finals i can imagine leaving aside the alain lacks motivation to be a compelling finals candidate. there's also ash winning the majority of the battle there's been no tention and won't be any until ash is down to his last pokemon. even if you were prepared to think that ash might possibly lose and no ones apparently is because its that dang predictable the battle would give you no reason to think so until the very last moments. even for a crappy league this finals is absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan

Absolute hate that Pikachu took out TWO powerful Pokemon, and Noivern lost for no reason other than well gotta give something to Hawlucha.

Unfortunately the preview for next episode makes it perfectly clear, I will hate the next episode. The league may have been a very good league, if it didn't absolutely treat a lot of Ash's Pokemon like trash. And for someone who ACTUALLY cares about his Pokemon, I'm really not happy.

But there's not a god damn thing I can do, except sit through the writers laughing cruelly, giving Ash's Pokemon (except the special or lucky ones) the middle finger.

But I guess objectively for the battle in of itself NOT counting the series as a whole, but as if the battle existed without CONTEXT, I guess it was decent.

Agree with you on Pikachu. Noivern lost due to Weavile's speed and type advantage. I like the rest of it apart from Charizard taking early damage though. Preferred Greninja to do the damaging.

phanpycross

God-king
The pikachu parts of this battle were pretty meh Terrible, but I really dug the rest of the battles, especially Hawlucha vs. Weavile, which surprised me.

Talonflame vs. Unfezant was cool, but too much of it was the lines in the sky with nothing actually happening.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

Don't be so upset. This isn't the first time Pikachu was spammed before.

I don't care as long as Ash wins and be done with this league. I am not much of a XY fan right now. Atleast give Ash some reward for working his butt off in this region.

It's their own fault for evolving Goomy too quickly.

wandiong

predicting,

charizard beat pikachu , and charizard heavily injured
goodra beat bisharp . but failed to using bide for defeat charizard
finally injured mega charizard vs greninja. ash completely owning him (like how wings gaming completely owning their opponent yesterday)

Soniman

Break the Limit
The pikachu parts of this battle were pretty meh Terrible, but I really dug the rest of the battles, especially Hawlucha vs. Weavile, which surprised me.

Talonflame vs. Unfezant was cool, but too much of it was the lines in the sky with nothing actually happening.

I can't believe someone is talking smack about Pikachu Sama appropriately slaying in what could be Ash's biggest moment

Pteranodonte

predicting,

charizard beat pikachu , and charizard heavily injured
goodra beat bisharp . but failed to using bide for defeat charizard
finally injured mega charizard vs greninja. ash completely owning him (like how wings gaming completely owning their opponent yesterday)

Goodra is already out when Charizard is sent out, so it's not gonna beat Bisharp. It's going to fall to Bisharp.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Goodra is already out when Charizard is sent out, so it's not gonna beat Bisharp. It's going to fall to Bisharp.

There still is a slight chance that it could be a double KO, and ash just happens to send out greninja, and then charizard is right after.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'm kinda shocked people want a 2nd tie (Bisharp vs Goodra) for consecutive battles in a row... I have to imagine the likelihood of that in any real battle is astronomical, let alone it happening 4 times combined in two straight battles

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm kinda shocked people want a 2nd tie (Bisharp vs Goodra) for consecutive battles in a row... I have to imagine the likelihood of that in any real battle is astronomical, let alone it happening 4 times combined in two straight battles

people want a second tie? God Bisharp is overused this gen for me already with this being it's second or third appearance?? I'd expect people to want Goodra to destroy Bisharp... at least I think it should.

Red and Blue

A tie is better and more dignified than being a fall guy. Though I would find it pretty funny and ironic that the three psuedos in the finals went down without any victories