• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Finding RNG NUMBER/ Breakdown of the method

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
I don't understand the whole RNG concept and I don't understand smogons explanation of it can someone tell me step by step how to find your code and implement into whatever math problem. If no one can can you just explain the method to me. Please don't be lazy about this.

Zonn13

87% Indubitable.
What exactly are you trying to figure out? Your Secret ID? If so, there are three ways.

One, through a cheating device.

Two, by finding a non bred, non chained shiny and putting it's IVs into a special calculator, then doing a lot of complicated math. (I have not quite figured this out.)

Or three, have five or more chained shinies, and put their IV's, gender ratios, abilities, and species into the "Chain to SID" option in the RNG Reporter.

Are you trying to figure out how to RNG manipulate with eggs in DPPt, random encounters in DPPt, or the broken RNG in Emerald? I know how to do it with eggs in DPPt, but nothing else.

dpdude

teehee
man i miss the simpler days of pokemon where there was no math involved.

aah...red,blue,and yellow

There are very different "step by step" methods for RNGing different things.

1)Roaming Legends (Cress/Zap/Arti/Molt/Mesp)
2)Stationary Legends (Gigas/Ice/Rock/Steel/Zelf/Ux/etc...)
3)Wondercards (TRU Wondercards/Worlds 09 Weavile/etc...)
4)Wild Captures (pikachu's in the grass/gibbles in that cave/etc...)
5)Egg IV manipulation (hatching eggs with whatever IVs you want)
6)Egg Shinyness/Nature/Gender/Ability manipulation (hatching eggs with whatever S/N/G/A you want)

Each of these 6 "types" of RNG require different preparation and different steps and are each explained in detail in the OP of the smogon RNG thread.

Which are you shooting for right now?

Orangefeather

Maybe you could say specifically what part of Smogon's explanation you don't understand? It would take awhile to write it all out in detail.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
I understand the concept of RNG but I have no understanding of how to manipulate it at all and find my secret ID any and all help is appreciated thank you in advanced

siburke939

<------ my 1st shiny
i'm glad i'm not a alone in not getting it! granted, i didn't read it... but i was overwhelmed by the wall of text/numbers

basically can anyone simplify it as much as possible & post an abridged version?

First of all. You cannot, cannot, cannot RNG anything in HG/SS untill the dudes in the RNG thread over at Smogon figure it out first. It's just not possible yet without the use of... stuff I'd get "infracted" for even mentioning... >:p

You can however RNG eggs in DP and Pt with just your cart and the RNG Reporter (that thing you downloaded).

You still need to be more specific though.

Are you trying to get an egg with whatever Nature/Gender/Ability/Shinyness that you want, or are you trying to get the egg to have whatever IVs that you want? They require 2 different sets of steps.

And by the way. You seriously do need to read the OP over on smogon completely first. There is seriously no simpler guide out there yet (until I write one XD soon).

Here's a little something to get you started though. EVERY SINGLE ATTEMPT TO RNG IS ALWAYS BASED ON THE VERY FIRST STEP OF LEARNING TO RNG, "CALIBRATION".

Before you can even begin to think of all the wonderful pokes that you want to RNG, you MUST, MUST, MUST figure out what your "average seconds" and "delay" are. They are different for every single person, so every single person has to do it for yourself. Here's a great vid that helped me to understand "how" to calibrate.

[edit]
Here's another great vid that explains "calibration" pretty simply.

Last edited:

Tim:)

"Beginning Trainer"
I've tried 3 different times to RNG for shiny eggs. I think the PID for my shiny Golem isn't working because the second half of the PID starts with a 0, so it doesn't calculate correctly. There were two options, so I tried the second one too, but it doesn't work at all. Followed every step to the letter, but alas, just another normal poke. Anybody have any ideas?!

Orangefeather

To find your SID, the easiest way is probably to find a forum that allows hacking (not this one) and ask a hacker to do it. I borrowed my brother's AR to find mine. That way you don't need to do hard math or already have a random encounter shiny.

Tim:)

"Beginning Trainer"
I don't want to hack it though. I went snooping around at Pokesav, but that looks too much like cheating, I just want to manipulte it. I've put in too much actual work to throw in the towel and cheat like a punk. I'd rather do the math, but only if I know the math is right to begin with.

I don't want to hack it though. I went snooping around at Pokesav, but that looks too much like cheating, I just want to manipulte it. I've put in too much actual work to throw in the towel and cheat like a punk. I'd rather do the math, but only if I know the math is right to begin with.

It's not "hacking" trust me, but that's beside the point. I would gladly help you with the math, but I'm too afraid a mod will infract me because they personally believe it is cheating. From now on, I will no longer be able to help you or anyone else with RNG advice. Sorry. Too many infractions for trying to help people with their games. I would also provide you with a link to the thread where you can have helpful people answer your questions, including the creator of the RNG Reporter himself, but again, I'm too afraid a mod will infract me.

Have a nice life, and enjoy playing pokemon the hard way. :)

Last edited:

Orangefeather

You don't need Pokesav to find a SID. And if you really want to do the math, I don't know how it's done so don't ask me.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
mods arent allowed do that. they should be demodded talk to serebii. I mean even serebii uses rng. please provide a link.

If so lets move this to PMs

Last edited: