• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire Emblem Discussion

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
Welcome one and all to the thread to discuss any of the Fire Emblem Series games. Talk about your favorite characters, what level your team is at, discuss the plot, anything about Fire Embelem goes! Good luck and have fun! :D

Last edited:

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I like Ike.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
I've wanted to get into this series for a while, but I'm kind of turned off by it's apparent crazy hardness. The whole "units die permanently" is a minus as well.

HookShot

Shiny get!
I've wanted to get into this series for a while, but I'm kind of turned off by it's apparent crazy hardness. The whole "units die permanently" is a minus as well.

It's not that hard when you get used to it. Getting used to it, though... That's terrible. I can't even count how many times I've reset the game to save my soldiers.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
It's not that hard when you get used to it. Getting used to it, though... That's terrible. I can't even count how many times I've reset the game to save my soldiers.

Exactly. You get so far into a mission and then BAM! One of your guys die and you have to restart. I didn't like the fact that in Shadow Dragon you had to sacrafice one of your teammates in one of the prolouges. Thats just harsh!

Peter Quill

star-lord
It was to get rid of Jeigan. That really isn't that bad, look at his name :/

Can we talk about how Sacred Stones is bad and should be ashamed of itself?

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
It was to get rid of Jeigan. That really isn't that bad, look at his name :/

True. I guess it was for a good cause. And besides, it was technically the decision of the person you put up.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Moogles4ever said:

Probably.

I am honestly a little disenchanted with Fire Emblem nowadays. It keeps falling into the same trappings, it keeps favoring certain characters enormously, and it still can't come up with a better way to level up than a random number generator, which also means that even if you do choose the better characters, there's a chance they may be screwed. (Except Ike; Ike is undefeatable.) And of course, I particularly love it when the developers choose to force you to play with some of those mediocre characters (see: Micaiah, Sothe) on pretty much every single chapter.

Admittedly, I still played through Radiant Dawn, seeing as it continues to exploit a lot of the series' strengths. Namely the fact that every single character who joins your militia has a face and personality of his/her own, even if it is minimally developed in most cases. And of course, the story is always entertaining if nothing else, although in Radiant Dawn they did a notably good job with it thanks to its presentation through a multitude of viewpoints.

But honestly, why is Nintendo so lazy with that series? I mean look at Radiant Dawn's graphics. Granted it was actually a Gamecube game that was ported to the Wii (with minimal change), but even if you take that into consideration it looks pretty bland. Spell effects aren't nearly as impressive as you would hope, and the excrutiating, seemingly endless time you have to wait for a lumbering General to walk up to a Wyvern Knight and try whacking it with his axe (and fail) is simply unacceptable. And that's not to mention Path of Radiance, which was even lazier, with its bland, largely samey backgrounds, something that at least Radiant Dawn improved upon.

And on that point, I suppose the series is improving. The re-introduction of Skills and Bonus EXP, which I'm sure nobody expected to see again, have added some important dimensions to the mechanics. But I'm still not wowed by the series' recent developments, and I kind of feel it's a series that should stay portable.

(Although, on the portable side of things, I've been enjoying the Advance Wars series, Nintendo's other SRPG series, more.)

Electivirus said:

It seriously isn't hard, unless you intentionally play with the worst characters. Weapon degradation and permanent unit death can take some time to get used to, but the former is a question of micro-management and the latter just requires patience. (Or a willingness to leave dead comrades behind.)

Dattebayo

Banned
I wanted to play the Fire Emblem games where the FE characters from the Smash Bros. originated from. Since I have Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance (I'm stuck at chapter 8 there), I want to get Roy's game. Too bad the game's Japan only.

pokemaster001

I've wanted to get into this series for a while, but I'm kind of turned off by it's apparent crazy hardness.
really? I've only played part of two games (path of radiance and radiant dawn) and they never struck me as "crazy hard." Then again, I do pride myself on my strategic ability...
indeed, I have to agree there, when somebody that you've spent really hard training and you put them in every single battle because you know they're going to be a giant help and they die, ugh
it's even hard for me to let go of the crappy characters sometimes, just because I know they COULD help a little, if only to take a hit.
I am honestly a little disenchanted with Fire Emblem nowadays. It keeps falling into the same trappings, it keeps favoring certain characters enormously, and it still can't come up with a better way to level up than a random number generator, which also means that even if you do choose the better characters, there's a chance they may be screwed. (Except Ike; Ike is undefeatable.)
yeah, the good thing, though, is that those 180% awesome guys are usually unusable in a lot of battles, making them not a 92% chance of winning
but there are a multitude of good and bad characters that seems unbalanced
And of course, I particularly love it when the developers choose to force you to play with some of those mediocre characters (see: Micaiah, Sothe) on pretty much every single chapter.
again, I must agree, but for me Sothe was one of the better characters
...or were you being sarcastic?...
it's hard to tell when you actually agree with what they're saying

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
really? I've only played part of two games (path of radiance and radiant dawn) and they never struck me as "crazy hard." Then again, I do pride myself on my strategic ability...

What-what?

Path of Radiance maybe (Berserk Ashnard anyone?), but how the hell was Radiant Dawn not freaking hard? You had to freaking juggle two different teams entirely, while dealing with the fact that your main character was a freaking mage.

Wait, what difficulty were you playing?

indeed, I have to agree there, when somebody that you've spent really hard training and you put them in every single battle because you know they're going to be a giant help and they die, ugh
it's even hard for me to let go of the crappy characters sometimes, just because I know they COULD help a little, if only to take a hit.

WEll, honestly, if your character are dying a lot it might be a good idea to look at your battle plans. Are you sending them near mages when they don't have high M. Def? Are you sending them nearby Swordmasters when they have crap luck? Things like this easily can kill a character.

yeah, the good thing, though, is that those 180% awesome guys are usually unusable in a lot of battles, making them not a 92% chance of winning
but there are a multitude of good and bad characters that seems unbalanced

What? I... don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

again, I must agree, but for me Sothe was one of the better characters
...or were you being sarcastic?...
it's hard to tell when you actually agree with what they're saying

Sothe?

Seriously?

In PoR he can't class change.

In Radiant Dawn he's a Jeigan.

He's... not very good.

Anyway, I've become somewhat disillusiond with the FE series ever since they kicked out supports.

EDIT: And to Dattebayo; Sealed Sword is ****ing HARD. I wouldn't really suggest it.

It's due to a variety of features; too many prepromotes too early on, the main character not getting a class change until literally right before the end (though if you did all the sidequests you get to use the new god class you have for another 3 chapters or so), a mass deluge of Wyvern Knights to battle, near constant reinforcements spawning behind you, and a time limit on many chapters that dtermine whether or not you will get a good ending.

Still though, when Roy finally does Class change, he becomes god. No two ways about it; the Sealed Sword is that powerful.

It's pretty hilarious how Roy can get married to around 5 girls as well.

Last edited:

HookShot

Shiny get!
while dealing with the fact that your main character was a freaking mage.

Don't remind me she's a mage. I like Micaiah but that whole mage thing is hard to deal with. Oh, the times she's died...

Also, I should probably get back to playing Path of Radiance again, seeing as I haven't finished it. He who fights for his friends is a much better soldier than she who fought for her country.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
What-what?

Path of Radiance maybe (Berserk Ashnard anyone?), but how the hell was Radiant Dawn not freaking hard? You had to freaking juggle two different teams entirely, while dealing with the fact that your main character was a freaking mage.

Yeah poor Micaiah..... anyways I didn't find killing Ashnard that hard, I just sent in the Lions and destroyed him.

And I ditch characters that die unless they are vital to my team... Sacred Stones was/is really easy. you only need about 4 or 5 characters at a high level to rip through every level.

Last edited:

jellsprout

Suck less.

Exactly. You get so far into a mission and then BAM! One of your guys die and you have to restart. I didn't like the fact that in Shadow Dragon you had to sacrafice one of your teammates in one of the prolouges. Thats just harsh!

Suck less.

What-what?

EDIT: And to Dattebayo; Sealed Sword is ****ing HARD. I wouldn't really suggest it.

It's due to a variety of features; too many prepromotes too early on, the main character not getting a class change until literally right before the end (though if you did all the sidequests you get to use the new god class you have for another 3 chapters or so), a mass deluge of Wyvern Knights to battle, near constant reinforcements spawning behind you, and a time limit on many chapters that dtermine whether or not you will get a good ending.

Suck less.

Don't remind me she's a mage. I like Micaiah but that whole mage thing is hard to deal with. Oh, the times she's died...

Also, I should probably get back to playing Path of Radiance again, seeing as I haven't finished it. He who fights for his friends is a much better soldier than she who fought for her country.

Suck less.

it keeps favoring certain characters enormously,

Every game with multiple characters has this problem. It is impossible to make a perfectly balanced cast of characters, especially when the cast consists of nearly 50 people.
Besides, the balance isn't that bad in some of the games. In FE7, the only actually useless character is Karla. Every other character has unique advantages. Dorcas may suck mid- and endgame, but he is a lifesaver earlygame in HHM.

and it still can't come up with a better way to level up than a random number generator, which also means that even if you do choose the better characters, there's a chance they may be screwed.

Nearly every RPG uses a RNG for stat-ups in some way or the other. Besides, having to adept to your characters ending up differently than you originally expected them to be gives the game extra strategic depth. No two playthroughs are the same.

And on that point, I suppose the series is improving. The re-introduction of Skills and Bonus EXP, which I'm sure nobody expected to see again, have added some important dimensions to the mechanics. But I'm still not wowed by the series' recent developments, and I kind of feel it's a series that should stay portable.

I personally don't like these changes. The skills put too much focus on classes instead of individual characters.
The GBA supports are also an amazing feature, both for the gameplay and the background story, that should never have been removed.

(Although, on the portable side of things, I've been enjoying the Advance Wars series, Nintendo's other SRPG series, more.)

Advance Wars isn't an RPG. It is a PTS. Just because they share a similar style doesn't mean it is of the same genre.

It seriously isn't hard, unless you intentionally play with the worst characters. Weapon degradation and permanent unit death can take some time to get used to, but the former is a question of micro-management and the latter just requires patience. (Or a willingness to leave dead comrades behind.)

Sothe?

Seriously?

In PoR he can't class change.

In Radiant Dawn he's a Jeigan.

Why the preprome phobia? Seth is the best character in FE8. Marcus is the best Paladin in FE7 and essential early-game in FE6. Other characters such as Pent and Percival are godly too. They don't require an item either to promote, helping greatly in your funds rating, or allowing you to buy many Silver and Killer Weapons if you don't care about your rating. They usually come at a higher level than the rest of your party too. And because the already come at a such a high level, they are more or less immune to RNG screwage. They always turn out equally good.

It's pretty hilarious how Roy can get married to around 5 girls as well.

Eliwood gets Fiora and Ninian. He wins.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Every game with multiple characters has this problem. It is impossible to make a perfectly balanced cast of characters, especially when the cast consists of nearly 50 people.
Besides, the balance isn't that bad in some of the games. In FE7, the only actually useless character is Karla. Every other character has unique advantages. Dorcas may suck mid- and endgame, but he is a lifesaver earlygame in HHM.

No, I think Louise was pretty bad too. Oh wait, HMM? ...Well then, yeah, every character's pretty decent.

Nearly every RPG uses a RNG for stat-ups in some way or the other. Besides, having to adept to your characters ending up differently than you originally expected them to be gives the game extra strategic depth. No two playthroughs are the same.

But there are indeed certain characters who are assured to at least get a high number on one stat. EX: Roy is always going to max Luck... and for that matter, he's almost always going to end up with mediocre to horrible Strength until he finally class changes.

I personally don't like these changes. The skills put too much focus on classes instead of individual characters.
The GBA supports are also an amazing feature, both for the gameplay and the background story, that should never have been removed.

Well, it's not really a change; skills were around before supports, but they were cut out of FE 6 (which, coincidentally, was when Supports were introduced), and stayed out till FE 8 (where they didn't do that much).

Why the preprome phobia? Seth is the best character in FE8. Marcus is the best Paladin in FE7 and essential early-game in FE6. Other characters such as Pent and Percival are godly too. They don't require an item either to promote, helping greatly in your funds rating, or allowing you to buy many Silver and Killer Weapons if you don't care about your rating. They usually come at a higher level than the rest of your party too. And because the already come at a such a high level, they are more or less immune to RNG screwage. They always turn out equally good.

What? Seriously, WHAT?

It's pretty well known that unless you're playing hard mode, prepromotes tend to suck since they

A) Have HORRIFIC stat growths.
B) Sap up valuable XP.

Now, don't get me wrong; there are plenty of good prepromotes, especially when it comes to Hard Mode, where some have bonuses (Percival comes to mind) and where they can help chip down opponent health so you can help your weaker characters, but in normal mode or just endgame, they tend to be horrific.

Eliwood gets Fiora and Ninian. He wins.

Roy gets Lilina (daughter of Hector), Sophia (half dragon), Cecilia (Mage General of Etruria... who happens to be questionably older then Roy), Thany (Pegasus Knight), Lalum (dancer who happens to be questionably younget then Roy), Sue (Daughter of Rath) and it's implied Guinevere (Queen of Bern). He wins.

jellsprout

No, I think Louise was pretty bad too. Oh wait, HMM? ...Well then, yeah, every character's pretty decent.

Louise comes with an automatic A support with Pent. Using her will make the godly Pent even more godly.

But there are indeed certain characters who are assured to at least get a high number on one stat. EX: Roy is always going to max Luck... and for that matter, he's almost always going to end up with mediocre to horrible Strength until he finally class changes.

Roy's chance of having 30 Lck at 20/20 is 54%. Besides, he will never reach 20/20 unless you give him massive favoritism due to his late promotion.
Roy will get +4 Att from a B support with both Lance and Allan, which makes his offence pretty good actually.

What? Seriously, WHAT?

It's pretty well known that unless you're playing hard mode, prepromotes tend to suck since they

A) Have HORRIFIC stat growths.
B) Sap up valuable XP

But they have very good bases and come at higher levels than the rest of your team. If you give Marcus, Kent, Sain and Lowen an equal amount of kills throughout the game, Marcus will have the best stats of the four until very late in the game, around Victory or Death, at which point the difference is still very small. At that point the game becomes piss easy anyway. The most difficult part of the game are the first few chapter, where Marcus rapes everything in sight.
You also have to remember that prepromotes already start with high weapon levels, don't require a promotion item (which money you can use to buy Silver and Killer weapons) and are nearly immune to RNG screwage.
Besides, the difference in stat growths isn't that large. Geitz has higher growths than Dorcas.

Now, don't get me wrong; there are plenty of good prepromotes, especially when it comes to Hard Mode, where some have bonuses (Percival comes to mind) and where they can help chip down opponent health so you can help your weaker characters, but in normal mode or just endgame, they tend to be horrific.

Normal mode is easy. You can pick any random team of characters you like and beat the game without any trouble.
You characters' stats grow far faster than enemy stats. The levels of the enemies barely increase either over the course of the game. Endgame you get easy access to Silver and Killer weapons too. Endgame is far easier than early and midgame.

Roy gets Lilina (daughter of Hector), Sophia (half dragon), Cecilia (Mage General of Etruria... who happens to be questionably older then Roy), Thany (Pegasus Knight), Lalum (dancer who happens to be questionably younget then Roy), Sue (Daughter of Rath) and it's implied Guinevere (Queen of Bern). He wins.

Have you seen Ninian and Fiora? Even Lyn is better than any of those you mentioned.