• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire Emblem Series! - Remember your spoiler tags! V2

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Got around to seeing the DLC trailer. So basically it's Fire Emblem meets the Breakfast Club is what I'm getting at? Looks interesting, I wonder if the Abyss has anything to do with the darkness that one old dude sealed Byleth in?

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
So it’s been confirmed this is a side chapter only, where once you complete it you can recruit them to the main story.

Also there’s a new m/m romance because the main game wasn’t great about those.

shoz999

0gaajyisq5b41.png

That's what it seemed like but as someone pointed out, they may be their own separate faction with their own story judging by how during cutscenes, they have their own edges colored in purple. Similar to how Edelgard's faction is red, Claude's faction is Yellow and Dimitri's faction is Blue, it got me thinking if we could possibly get a more "traditional" Fire Emblem experience where we play as the Ashen Wolves which only starts out as four members but you can recruit the other characters from other factions by simply talking to them on the battlefield. However this doesn't seem to be the case. I read an article about support datamines and apparently outside of the leader character, the other three are hinted to be outcasts from the other three houses and thus have a lot of support conversations with a specific house which implies that you'll be recruiting them into one of the three houses rather than the other way around, similar to the Church of Seiros faction.

bobjr

Staff member
Have the side DLC be you meet these characters and potentially learn stuff before things could get bad, but Rhea comes along and smokes them, making it a downer ending.

Li_Syaoran

Since Byleth is on his way to Smash, I decided to finally start playing Three Houses.
Have played a few hours, seems to be very different compared to previous Fire Emblem. Many similarities with Persona I have noticed, which I really like!

I chose Black Eagles because they seemed to have the most interesting characters.
Apparently you can get characters from other houses as well.
Any tips on which characters are best to recruit from the other houses?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I chose Black Eagles because they seemed to have the most interesting characters.

If you're playing as female Byleth you can recruit Sylvain for free, would recommend waiting until Chapter 5 since the stats of recruits scale with chapter, but don't wait too long. If male then don't worry about getting him, Ferdinand is incredibly similar to him as a unit so you're not missing out too much.

Lysithea and Lorenz are also good recruits, the former is the biggest glass cannon in the game and the latter has a very useful reward from his paralogue that makes any mage much better. Felix is also fairly simple to recruit since you just need a high sword rank which Byleth is generally reaching anyway. Overall there are no essential recruits from other houses though, so you can also just choose to focus on whoever you like best.

shoz999

Since Byleth is on his way to Smash, I decided to finally start playing Three Houses.
Have played a few hours, seems to be very different compared to previous Fire Emblem. Many similarities with Persona I have noticed, which I really like!

That's good. In my opinion...
  • The Black Eagles is the route everyone should start with as it's the route that leaves behind a lot of mysteries and questions and serves as a great build-up point to the other two routes kind of like a mystery fantasy novel series such as Harry Potter.
  • The Golden Deer in my opinion offers a more modern Fire Emblem storytelling approach you'd find in games like FE6 or FE Awakening. I know it sounds strange since Claude is an Archer, not a sword-user, but he reminds me so much of the FE protagonists of the days of FE6 and up where they give it a more shonen anime flair to it. Not only that but the plot is fairly straightforward and is full of lore that answers many questions from the Black Eagles route.
  • The Blue Lions in my opinion is more of the classic and much darker Fire Emblem storytelling approach you'd find in games like FE Genealogy of the Holy War or Thracia 776 where it's much more greyer and complicated than the other two.
With that being said, this is one of the reasons why I think all kinds of Fire Emblem fans will enjoy Three Houses. Haven't played the 4th route though. Basically to sum it up, in my opinion the Black Eagles is a good starting route, the Golden Dear is a more modern Fire Emblem storytelling experience and the Blue Lions is a more classic darker Fire Emblem storytelling experience.

R_N

I feel like Blue Lions is actually relatively inline with most FE games. It's definitely the most traditional, I feel, and I say that in a good way.

Do note it doesn't really interact with any of the game's broader mysteries. It's more focused on Dimitri in particular. It's also a great companion piece to Edelgard's route in a lot of ways. If you were to only play 2 routes, it should definitely be those 2 since it adds a lot of tragedy & understanding to both sides.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I’m pretty sure the 4th route is in Black Eagles and all that so: couldn’t one just, before whenever the decision is made for one to go there or stick with Edelgard, save and make a copy of the file and go on with both routes from the two different files?

This game is bad at replayability (stupid monastery) and I just wanted to know that even if the answer is probably obvious lol.

On that topic, why couldn’t they did it like Fates where you can just skip to the house decision part? Similar to where you choose Hoshido, Nohr, or neither. Would also help in replaying the game better!

R_N

I’m pretty sure the 4th route is in Black Eagles and all that so: couldn’t one just, before whenever the decision is made for one to go there or stick with Edelgard, save and make a copy of the file and go on with both routes from the two different files?

This game is bad at replayability (stupid monastery) and I just wanted to know that even if the answer is probably obvious lol.
Yeah you can do that. Just make a save before the split. You just won't get to carry over NG+ bonuses but eh.
On that topic, why couldn’t they did it like Fates where you can just skip to the house decision part? Similar to where you choose Hoshido, Nohr, or neither. Would also help in replaying the game better!
Yeah that would have been nice. It's like a solid what...40 minutes? almost an hour? to reach the house decision portion.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Yeah you can do that. Just make a save before the split. You just won't get to carry over NG+ bonuses but eh.

Yeah that would have been nice. It's like a solid what...40 minutes? almost an hour? to reach the house decision portion.
Thanks! As for the NG+, will that overwrite the current file that was beaten or is it done in a separate one? I don’t want to lose the progress I made, especially since I know some games do that!

shoz999

Thanks! As for the NG+, will that overwrite the current file that was beaten or is it done in a separate one? I don’t want to lose the progress I made, especially since I know some games do that!
You never done NG+? It depends on which file you choose to save it in as in you can overwrite your current file or use a separate one.

R_N

It overwrites it but it means a lto less when you can just save into another slot after loading the NG+

e: Also if you're overwriting I'd hold off on complaining about the monastery being lame since while the maps are the same the character beats are way dfifferent

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It’s more of having to get through all the stuff like the class sessions and the like to get to the actual battling part. I know there’s Auto-Instruct but if other games with Auto taught me anything, leaving it up to the game can be either good or bad. In which the latter happened when I tried doing it three times (Dimitri ain’t using magic, game). .__.

Plus I hate the limited time you get to do the paralogues. Which isn’t helped by that you have to choose between resting, exploring, & battling. Why not integrate all that at once without deciding and limits! I understand FE is partly about decision making but still. As weird and dumb it sounds, allow me to take the class on a training mission, come back to have some grub, & give gifts to random students/faculty.

Reused maps...I actually can tolerate it if they’re decent-to-good maps and aren’t like SoV’s with bad enemy placement/spamming and all. Which I think Three Houses avoids being like SoV’s and thus is good!

bobjr

Staff member
I have thought about what Three Houses could have done different to be the same overall experience, but remain the same. Best I've thought is a system where the pre-timeskip you alternated classes until a choice later on, instead of right at the beginning, or a Rashomon story where you get each side over a couple chapters the entire game.

With the former you run into the problem of getting students from other classes to join the one you want, and the latter you run into the problem of why even have a player character, but that's why I think Three Houses is so good, it does separate paths where playing them you see how things could have been solved or done better, but they just aren't because the characters are human and act in ways that stop you from getting a Golden Path where everyone wins and is happy.

R_N

I have thought about what Three Houses could have done different to be the same overall experience, but remain the same. Best I've thought is a system where the pre-timeskip you alternated classes until a choice later on, instead of right at the beginning, or a Rashomon story where you get each side over a couple chapters the entire game.

With the former you run into the problem of getting students from other classes to join the one you want, and the latter you run into the problem of why even have a player character, but that's why I think Three Houses is so good, it does separate paths where playing them you see how things could have been solved or done better, but they just aren't because the characters are human and act in ways that stop you from getting a Golden Path where everyone wins and is happy.
Dimitri actually taking the time to talk with Edelgard and get her to surrender while hearing her side was fantastic for this reason. Especially if you do Crimson Flower first, it's really easy to understand how this is going to go even beyond the needed contrivances of Being a Video Game and it helps adds to the tragedy

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
So what's the over/under on there being an FE-focused Direct this year with a game announcement?

April is the 30th anniversary, but Three Houses will have concluded its DLC in two weeks, so there would be nothing holding a new announcement back. Koei Tecmo did a bulk of the legwork on Three Houses, leaving IntSys devs themselves working on something new.