• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire Emblem Series! - Remember your spoiler tags!

Zachmac

Well, you can get one "Witch's Circle" and one "Ballistician's Turrent" for free now, so I guess people can't really complain about those classes being cartridge-locked content anymore.
Fates Wave 2 DLC is out.

EDIT: Also, anyone know if Dark Blood uses just elemental magic or both elemental and dark?
I pretty sure that they can only use elemental, considering that Dark Knights still can't use dark magic even though they don't promote from regular mages anymore.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
oh people will still complain. any sort of paid dlc these days will get complaints.

i just wish the dlc classes weren't gender-locked since it seemed like they were doing away with that in the main portion of the game

Recon

I mean technically speaking...

Mountain Priest and War Priestess are gender-locked classes. Mountain Priests get lances while War Priestess use bows. Skills are the same, though I haven't looked into stat caps

Priest/Priestess and Maid/Butlers can pretty much be used interchangeably while describing the class, so they don't exactly count.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
oh people will still complain. any sort of paid dlc these days will get complaints.

i just wish the dlc classes weren't gender-locked since it seemed like they were doing away with that in the main portion of the game

To be fair, it seems that they're giving out the skills of those classes considering that Vanguard's were available for everyone in the recent DLC, so I could see that being done for all of them even if the classes themselves are exclusive.

Having said that, I do agree that I would prefer that the classes were gender neutral even if the skills are readily available, it does seem like a step backwards after Fates pretty much eliminated the practice in the main game.

Mountain Priest and War Priestess are gender-locked classes. Mountain Priests get lances while War Priestess use bows. Skills are the same, though I haven't looked into stat caps

Priest/Priestess and Maid/Butlers can pretty much be used interchangeably while describing the class, so they don't exactly count.

Just checked, they do have different caps. I guess the argument could be made though that they serve a similar function (both are combat medics), so it gets a pass compared to examples like Berserkers vs. Pegasus Knights.

Last edited:

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
Well, you can get one "Witch's Circle" and one "Ballistician's Turrent" for free now, so I guess people can't really complain about those classes being cartridge-locked content anymore. I pretty sure that they can only use elemental, considering that Dark Knights still can't use dark magic even though they don't promote from regular mages anymore.

They can,but the only tome sucks.

Zachmac

They can,but the only tome sucks.
I'm pretty sure that I've heard that they still can't.
I think rumors just started up that they can because Leo's signature tome looks like a dark tome, even though he still can't use Nosferatu without a reclass.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin

huh, i actually didn't know that, that's interesting. still it is a minor enough difference that it won't make one gender much more useful like galeforce did for women/children of certain women.

To be fair, it seems that they're giving out the skills of those classes considering that Vanguard's were available for everyone in the recent DLC, so I could see that being done for all of them even if the classes themselves are exclusive.

Having said that, I do agree that I would prefer that the classes were gender neutral even if the skills are readily available, it does seem like a step backwards after Fates pretty much eliminated the practice in the main game.

Just checked, they do have different caps. I guess the argument could be made though that they serve a similar function (both are combat medics), so it gets a pass compared to examples like Berserkers vs. Pegasus Knights.

that's cool about the skills, but still, it would be better if it was for everyone, especially since some of the classes that are now exclusive were never exclusive in the past. if they can come up with a flimsy excuse for why men can ride not-pegasi they could let both genders get all the dlc stuff

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation
With Witch and Ballistician being gender exclusive, I think they're trying to just capture the elements of the past games when those classes were gender exclusive.\

It's not called Witch for nothing.

I don't see the problem.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
With Witch and Ballistician being gender exclusive, I think they're trying to just capture the elements of the past games when those classes were gender exclusive.\

It's not called Witch for nothing.

I don't see the problem.

So were Fighters, Berserkers and Pegasus Knights (yes, slightly different name, but still the same in function as the Warriors) before Fates, so that's not really a good point. If those classes could drop the gender restriction despite being exclusive for many games, so could Ballistician and Witch (which could have a slight name tweak along the lines of Pegasus Warriors).

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
So were Fighters, Berserkers and Pegasus Knights (yes, slightly different name, but still the same in function as the Warriors) before Fates, so that's not really a good point. If those classes could drop the gender restriction despite being exclusive for many games, so could Ballistician and Witch (which could have a slight name tweak along the lines of Pegasus Warriors).

They would have to rename the entire Witch class at least,but Wizard doesn't make it gender neutral either.Naming it "Magic Caster" or anything similar to Spell Caster is also out.They could've renamed it Mage,but then it's not really the Witch class anymore.Ballistician could've worked,but maybe they just wanted to save money.

Zachmac

They would have to rename the entire Witch class at least,but Wizard doesn't make it gender neutral either.Naming it "Magic Caster" or anything similar to Spell Caster is also out.They could've renamed it Mage,but then it's not really the Witch class anymore.Ballistician could've worked,but maybe they just wanted to save money.
Maybe it could of been "Witch" and "Warlock", similar to the way maids and butlers work.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Pretty much what Zachmac said, just pull a Maid/Butler situation where the caps, growths and Skills are the same, but the name is different.

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation

Yes, but they were not DLC classes. And I have played pretty much all of the games from 5-13.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yes, but they were not DLC classes. And I have played pretty much all of the games from 5-13.

How does that really make a difference? Your point is that they were gender exclusive in previous games and thus they should be for this one because that's what they originally were, yet we have numerous examples in the base game like Fighters that were gender neutral in previous games, yet had their exclusivity kicked for Fates. You're basically moving goalposts there to defend the choice when really, it makes no sense in respects to how the main game treated it. DLC or not, they didn't try to "capture" the elements of the previous games with the base game classes, so it being DLC doesn't change the fact that there was really was no good reason why they couldn't have made Witch or Ballistician gender neutral like those base game classes.

And why did you bring up that you played 5-13? I don't see how that's relevant to the argument as I didn't question you on that.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Dark Flier and Dread Fighter classes are also "DLC" classes of sorts, and they removed their gender-locks in this game. Genderlocking the amiibo classes was probably a lack of willingness to make a second model of each one, but there's no real excuse for Witch or Ballistician.

Geez, Fates has no idea what it is trying to be. It seems to me like there's a lot of people in that development team with competing interest who aren't really working together.
Remember that time when someone said that it'd be completely detached from Awakening and that didn't happen? Or how about how they didn't say a single thing about second generation characters until the last second? Or worse yet, the player's ability to S-rank their Hoshidan siblings, thus revealing that they aren't actually blood related, proving that waifu emblem is more important to them (and a significant portion of the fans, it seems) than the dramatic story they've been trying to advertise so hard.

I'm wondering if IS got to big for them to manage themselves. It also seems to me like the money they earned from Awakening got to their heads a little...okay, a lot.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Started a new file in Binding Blade and went with Hard Mode and saw the first boss with 39 HP, 13 Strength, and a Steel Axe. God.

Then booted Mystery of the Emblem back up and remembered that Chapter 5 is swarming with Dracoknights and Silver Bow-wielding Snipers.

Kinda wanna play Thracia 776 now to compare, lawl.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I actually had a friend who recently went through Binding Blade Hard Mode. That first chapter is a very good indicator of what awaits you in that mode (also have fun with Murdock). It might honestly still be less frustrating than Thracia 776, but not by much. But at that point you're choosing your own form of masochism either way.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
i just finished my first run of binding blade not too long ago. i had to arena/statbooster abuse in order to get through it. it was my first japan-only game (i have finished all the english releases except shadow dragon which i started and never finished) and boy it was a hell of a lot harder than the others. that desert chapter is the devil.

now i cant decide if i want to:
finish ilia route (i split my save file so i could do both)
finish eliwood hard mode
finish filling out my 7 support log
finish ephiram mode
finish creature campaign
finish my por transfer run to eventually do a ng+ of radiant dawn
finish shadow dragon
finish awakening lunatic+
finish filling out my awakening support log

so many choices and none are that appealing right now... i hope fates is changed enough that i can stomach it by the time it gets released here because i need something new