• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire Emblem Series! - Remember your spoiler tags!

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Children were bad in Awakening, and they'll probably be bad here too.

Rio!

Composer
Children were bad in Awakening, and they'll probably be bad here too.

What made it bad was the strange time-travelling deal, especially when it came to Morgan.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
IDK. As characters, the children weren't bad IMO, it was just the whole backstory was boring as hell and probably kinda cliche.

Zachmac

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
IDK. As characters, the children weren't bad IMO, it was just the whole backstory was boring as hell and probably kinda cliche.

Well if we're being honest the cliche thing sort of applied to most of the characters in Awakening. The problem I had the the children characters from a plot perspective (aside from the time travel thing) was that they felt kinda tacked on when they could and should have felt more connected to the game. They had almost no plot relevance bar Lucina and it kinda made them feel like they were just there.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
True, they were literally just an extra reason to bother with supports. Also, because I'm bored:
Question: Which character did you think made the worst parent for Morgan in Awakening? Personally, I thought Henry was kind of awful, but...

Aurath8

True, they were literally just an extra reason to bother with supports. Also, because I'm bored:
Question: Which character did you think made the worst parent for Morgan in Awakening? Personally, I thought Henry was kind of awful, but...

Gangrel. He comes after Chapter 25, where almost all of the game will be finished let alone having to build up an S support. He's a first gen unit too who doesn't offer any extra classes, skills, great stat modifiers or anything really that other characters can't provide earlier and just as good.
Also he tries to kill you.

Honestly I didn't think FE:Fates would get shown during the Treehouse. Between the stream and this week's Famitsu I've missed a heck of a lot of stuff.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Meh. That argument could be the reason for any of the postgame characters, except possibly Aversa, because Shadowgift's one of the best skills ever on Morgan.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
I'M ECSTATIC

Marriages are back! <3 Yes!
While I'm not mad about the children coming back (oh my god Kamui's daughter is the cutest thing ever), I'm scared the way they'll introduce them will be repetitive. I don't think children are necessary, especially if they are not written with care. As to how they'll be introduced, perhaps there will be a timeskip at the end of the game that requires characters to be married before if they want to have children. But like SerenesForest pointed out, they could come from a different reality.

Last edited:

JavierSalvador

DragonRuler of Truth
Actually [spoilers] I think this has something to do with Aqua travelling dimensions or something like it was shown in the trailer [/spoilers] I am sooo excited! This was by far the greatest mechanic of Awakening (What can I say? :p It the first think that caught my eye and then I enjoyed all the other small details). But tbh I don't find it bad or anything. It worked with FE13 and it should work again :) I can't wait for Aqua's daughter or son (who knows? :p) *cough* waifu *cough*

Hats off to "The Prince of May" for the amazing gif :p Best part of the trailer :p

Zachmac

Well if we're being honest the cliche thing sort of applied to most of the characters in Awakening. The problem I had the the children characters from a plot perspective (aside from the time travel thing) was that they felt kinda tacked on when they could and should have felt more connected to the game. They had almost no plot relevance bar Lucina and it kinda made them feel like they were just there.
I feel like a lot of first gen characters were just tacked on as well. Virion is the very first offender; joining the Shepards for no good reason. Then we've got Panne, who comes from an irrelevant tribe of beast warriors, and conveniently owes Ylisse a debt for no real reason. Nowi's entrance was rather random(well, for a manakete, at least). Henry joined simply because he felt like it. I could keep going on and on, but Awakening still could of done far better at introducing their characters in general.

My biggest problems with the Future Children is that you have to play it like a dating simulator if you want to unlock all of the characters. I like support conversations themselves, but playing hook-up is not the type of thing I'm into. The worst part is with the avatar's character; I cringe whenever I see a confession screen. I'm just not into waifus.

Last edited:
Guess i'm the only one who actually liked the marriage and kid system. Always made for interesting combos. Morgan was definitely a powerhouse with Robin+Lucina

Recon

Guess i'm the only one who actually liked the marriage and kid system. Always made for interesting combos. Morgan was definitely a powerhouse with Robin+Lucina

I actually was okay with it. It's mostly those that wanted to have FE "return to form" were fairly vocal in their dissatisfaction to the return of the mechanic.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Marriages are fine, since that was in earlier games as a post game thing. The children just seemed badly implemented in Awakening.

Then again 4 has the best kids, as they actually have a narrative besides "Wacky quirk based off of traumatic experience"

I guess I'm not looking for a super deep story from Fire Emblem, so the kids to me are just the best units. I liked them.
Definitely some of the strongest units in the game when paired with certain parents. And yeah, Fire Emblem Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game. So yeah, probably why i'm not so against some of the stuff in it.

MarcusKincaid

I guess I'm not looking for a super deep story from Fire Emblem, so the kids to me are just the best units. I liked them.
Avatar is better than the majority of the children and some first Gen units are better than unoptimized children, there are also some children that are just 'bad' overall like Inigo getting his useability through other methods and being able to get an S rank with another child unit. Chrom likewise is better than the majority of children though in a limited scope require specific partners to reach his full potential which you'd then have to include on your team taking a 'loss' as any of the partners are not as good as children, but the resulting paired unit and the fact that Chrom is usually required means that it's worth it doubly so if you get a secondary child from him as you usually want some of the parent characters as back-ups for the child units if the child paired unit needs to separate for some reason and you have more units available to take than the total number of children.
Definitely some of the strongest units in the game when paired with certain parents. And yeah, Fire Emblem Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game. So yeah, probably why i'm not so against some of the stuff in it.
Awakening pairing was overpowered, the new game's pairing will be more balanced and allowing enemies to pair will help eliminate a total advantage in your units which are usually stronger than the enemy units as is through stats, skills, or combination of both. Basically those who thought Awakening is too hard tend to be against the scaling back of the pairing and those who thought Awakening was too easy will be for the reassessment in that particular regard which the new system of pairings is what I've seen the most complaints about personally. I support the pairing revamp, but I myself would have left it as is and then put an option for defensive pair-up or offensive pair-up instead of having different positioning choose whether the unit is in the offensive formation or defensive formation as offensive formation will tend to be better than the defensive formation as there is one target and you don't lose net power really with the defensive formation you can't hide a weaken unit and it increases their number of potential targets and the defensive strike won't be as strong since you don't get the support attack. Forcing the enemy to attack a single unit that can strike 4x as is the current system just removing the dual guard feature and possibly the stats doesn't solve the problem really and more or less just supports the use of higher defense/resistance forward units rather than two full attack classes.

Bottom line new system lowers the effectiveness, but not enough to make a difference at least on paper based on the information available at this juncture.

Avatar is better than the majority of the children and some first Gen units are better than unoptimized children, there are also some children that are just 'bad' overall like Inigo getting his useability through other methods and being able to get an S rank with another child unit. Chrom likewise is better than the majority of children though in a limited scope require specific partners to reach his full potential which you'd then have to include on your team taking a 'loss' as any of the partners are not as good as children, but the resulting paired unit and the fact that Chrom is usually required means that it's worth it doubly so if you get a secondary child from him as you usually want some of the parent characters as back-ups for the child units if the child paired unit needs to separate for some reason and you have more units available to take than the total number of children.

Awakening pairing was overpowered, the new game's pairing will be more balanced and allowing enemies to pair will help eliminate a total advantage in your units which are usually stronger than the enemy units as is through stats, skills, or combination of both. Basically those who thought Awakening is too hard tend to be against the scaling back of the pairing and those who thought Awakening was too easy will be for the reassessment in that particular regard which the new system of pairings is what I've seen the most complaints about personally. I support the pairing revamp, but I myself would have left it as is and then put an option for defensive pair-up or offensive pair-up instead of having different positioning choose whether the unit is in the offensive formation or defensive formation as offensive formation will tend to be better than the defensive formation as there is one target and you don't lose net power really with the defensive formation you can't hide a weaken unit and it increases their number of potential targets and the defensive strike won't be as strong since you don't get the support attack. Forcing the enemy to attack a single unit that can strike 4x as is the current system just removing the dual guard feature and possibly the stats doesn't solve the problem really and more or less just supports the use of higher defense/resistance forward units rather than two full attack classes.

Bottom line new system lowers the effectiveness, but not enough to make a difference at least on paper based on the information available at this juncture.

That's good to hear, because i hated some of the optimal pairings for some of the children.

MarcusKincaid

That's good to hear, because i hated some of the optimal pairings for some of the children.

What's good to hear exactly? There was no discussion about children pairings, but you don't need optimized children for them to be better than most units and you don't really need the children units at all to beat the game even on the highest difficulty not to mention the strongest enemy in the game can be beaten by regular units, but it becomes fairly important to have S rank pairings there. As long as you have some sort of spouse pairings the actual unit you use is pretty irrelevant as long as you're smart about skills and have some tactical knowledge. The worst unit stats wise is actually one of the best units overall so there is decent balancing in individual characters the problem is when they stack advantage upon advantage upon advantage onto your troops when the game becomes snoozeville. Awakening was too easy and a large part of that was because of the broken pairing system, this new pairing system is still broken just slightly less so, at the very least you don't become completely invincible. (unable to die and able to kill everything with retaliation attacks during the enemy turn) I just hope they remove the other exploits such as the Brave Weapons and Nosferatu or atleast limit them to one each since the weapons aren't going to break anymore.