• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire/Fighting Starter Getting Old?

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
Most of me is pretty much over the fire-fighting, but there is a part that still enjoys it.
Hopefully if a 6th gen comes around they do make a non-fire/fighting.

tmega90

Pokemon Trainer
It is not getting old to me, I happen to like the combo of those types, but I can see how others can be annoyed that they keep make them.

SneaselClaw

I was fine with Blaziken, and fine with Infernape who's become one of my favourite starters ever. My problem with Emboar is that there was some fake artwork that looked better and would most likely not have ended up making him a fire/fighting type, more likely a pure fire or even fire/poison.
It's definitely not a combo I want to see come up in the next gen.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
When I first saw Tepig I was like :O new Fire/Ground starter! Has to be!

But then it was Fire/Fighting. LAME

Xx Flare xX

To me yes, Fire/Fighting starters are getting old, even though I don't use them (Grass and Water type starters are my favorite).

When I first saw Tepig/Pokabu I was hoping for a Fire/Ground type starter (I had thoughts of a giant hog with it's tusks and hair made of fire rolling in mud for no apparent reason) and when I saw the new evolves and their types I just went :|.

I'm one of them people who would like to see them make new unique typing for the starters, Fire/Ground,Fire/Psychic,Fire/Ice ect: anything! It doesn't have to be perfect, if it makes the starter at a massive disadvantage for the first gym i'll capture and raise a pokemon that can get the job done!(I don't do competetive battling so i'll leave that side blank).

Gen V removing the Rock Gym was the best thing ever to me (YAY no Geodudes!!!) so I hope they will finally change the Fire/Fighting typing aswell.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Even though I really REALLY like Emboar, I have to say I'm kinda tired of it too :/

Aurath8

med_gallery_1_3_57968.jpg

I swear the was an exact same thread ages back made specifically for bashing Emboar. I wish you could delete threads from your view so I dont have to look at baseless arguments. However, I cant resist letting the world know of my opinion on this matter.
I wasn't present for the 3rd gen, so Blaziken didn't bother me. I loved Infernape's speedy and powerful playstyle. Emboar is a very different Fire starter, though. Being slow and bulky it can smash heads with its immense attack while sponging hits. If anything, 'Ape should be getting more hate because it has more similarities to Blaziken, having almost equal defence and also relying on speed(it was natural speed rather than Aglity though) to be a success. The Fire/Fighting type isn't old because of how different each Firefighting starter is.
For the benefit of its popularity rather than my opinion, I would have preferred it be a Fire/Ground type but I am more than happy we have a well-designed and(not counting Perversity Serperior) arguably the best battler of the gen's starters. When you must use 1 out of 2-3 different movesets to be truly effective as a battler in Serperior's and Samurott's case you cant be as good as one that can use 5+ such as Emboar, to put it simply.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
how about also creating an alternate entry hazard that benefits fire types (to balance the overuse of stealth rock and spikes)? ice shards?

Funny, I was thinking about that too. Maybe like Stealth thorns? So that it hits water, ground and rock types. All of them being common. While three of the types that are weak to stealth rock would resist it.

And for whoever said fire/steel starter with levitate, that can't work. Not even for a dream world ability due to the fact that levitate is never a dream ability and the two pokemon being the exception to having only levitate are Bronzor/Bronzong.

When I thought of Tepig, I actually was hoping for a fire/psychic type. Just because of Spoink and Grumpig being psychic types. Fire/Ground would of made sense, although having a nasty x4 weakness to water might hurt more than help. Especially considering how water types and earthquake users are ubiquitous these days

ToeyJoey

The Count
Heatran has great special attacking stats and is very sturdy defensive wise, if a starter was to rival Heatran's attacking prowess it'd have a pretty weak stat or two to keep in line with other starters overall stats.

Magnezone has a niche ability and again is backed up with awesome special attack and sturdy defenses and has Magnet Rise.

All fire starters have the Blaze ability and I really couldn't see it having Levitate as a dream world ability either. Plus this Fire/Poison type would take a big hit from Stealth Rock.

It's not a guarantee it'd be UU if it could save itself with a nice movepool or stat spread but it'd be highly likely.

The quote actually was:

That's a terrible idea.

4x Ground = automatically sent to NU

I wasn't talking starter-wise exactly, just challenging the point that a 4x Ground Weakness automatically means NU status which Magnezone and Heatran are not. They are both solid OU.

MonkeyX

when i was thinking of possible tepig evos one of my first thoughts was an awesome fire-ground pokemon called hogcano another cool option could have been fire-flying it may be the same as charizard but a flying pig would be pretty cool

Dattebayo

Banned
For the benefit of its popularity rather than my opinion, I would have preferred it be a Fire/Ground type but I am more than happy we have a well-designed and(not counting Perversity Serperior) arguably the best battler of the gen's starters. When you must use 1 out of 2-3 different movesets to be truly effective as a battler in Serperior's and Samurott's case you cant be as good as one that can use 5+ such as Emboar, to put it simply.

Ahem! *points to Camerupt and its tier ranking*

That said, Fire/Ground won't do any good.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Fire/Fighting is definitely annoying, now. I'm hoping for a Fire/Poison starter, next generation, despite a double weakness existing. That starter should be the first Fire starter with a more defensive stat setup. Grass/Electric would be original, as well.

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Fire/Fighting is definitely annoying, now. I'm hoping for a Fire/Poison starter, next generation, despite a double weakness existing. That starter should be the first Fire starter with a more defensive stat setup. Grass/Electric would be original, as well.

Hell no, let's try to avoid double wakeness as much as possible D:

SonicBlazePlatinum

Sonic the Hedgehog
I don't really have a problem with it. Maybe because my favorite Pokemon is Blaziken and it's the Fire/Fighting type. Maybe in the next generation the Fire type will be part Dragon or Electric or another interesting type combo? Anyways the Fire/Fighting type doesn't give me too much troubles as said before...

Aurath8

Charizard, Swampert, and Torterra all have x4 weakness and they turned out fine, Fire/Poison would be a great typing

Considering that Poison is useless with the Fire type taking out most grass already, then no. Also the Poison type itself is regarded as the worst type in pokemon getting one supereffective against a type usually paired with Poison. It's also weak to Ground arguably the best type in the game. Fire/Poison in the end gets a load of weaknesses including Stealth Rock, Rock, x4Ground and Water.
@Dattebayo: But if it was fast and could use Wild Charge...
I would like Fire/Steel. Heatran made good work of it, just make sure it gets Earth Power/Earthquake and it will be win.

ToeyJoey

The Count
Ahem! *points to Camerupt and its tier ranking*

That said, Fire/Ground won't do any good.

Camerupt isn't very good though,it is outclassed by so many other things even with a Solid Rock ability but Emboar has better stats and STAB Earthquake and Flare Blitz off 123 Base Attack with Reckless is pretty delicious. It has virtually the same weaknesses as fire/fighting except a 4x Water and the lack of Flying/Psychic so no Reuniclus weakness but it was probably never going to survive a medium-strong water move anyway. Gyarados, Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Flygon, Heatran and Magnezone cope with a 4x weakeness in OU.

That combination is only resisted by Aerodactyl, Archeops, Salamence, Dragonite, Charizard, Ho-oh, Moltres, Mantine/Mantyke, Wingull/Pelipper, Ducklett/Swanna and Gyarados.

If this thing made OU it wouldn't face Charizard (NU,) Ho-oh (Uber,) Pelipper (NU,) Mantine (NU) and Moltres (UU.) Archeops is (subjectively) worthless because of its ability.

Plus Head Smash (gets a Reckless boost too) hits them all Super-Effectively except Aerodactyl and Archeops who are hit neutrally.

You could also go with Wild Bolt/Wild Charge (gets a Reckless boost too) which also hits them all Super-Effectively except Dragonite and Salamence.

A set of:
Flare Blitz
Earthquake
Head Smash/Wild Bolt

gets neutral coverage on everything. To me, at least, that shapes up to be very good.

Last edited:

Dattebayo

Banned
Camerupt isn't very good though,it is outclassed by so many other things even with a Solid Rock ability but Emboar has better stats and STAB Earthquake and Flare Blitz off 123 Base Attack with Reckless is pretty delicious. It has virtually the same weaknesses as fire/fighting except a 4x Water and the lack of Flying/Psychic so no Reuniclus weakness but it was probably never going to survive a medium-strong water move anyway. Gyarados, Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Flygon, Heatran and Magnezone cope with a 4x weakeness in OU.

That combination is only resisted by Aerodactyl, Archeops, Salamence, Dragonite, Charizard, Ho-oh, Moltres, Mantine/Mantyke, Wingull/Pelipper, Ducklett/Swanna and Gyarados.

If this thing made OU it wouldn't face Charizard (NU,) Ho-oh (Uber,) Pelipper (NU,) Mantine (NU) and Moltres (UU.) Archeops is (subjectively) worthless because of its ability.

Plus Head Smash (gets a Reckless boost too) hits them all Super-Effectively except Aerodactyl and Archeops who are hit neutrally.

You could also go with Wild Bolt/Wild Charge (gets a Reckless boost too) which also hits them all Super-Effectively except Dragonite and Salamence.

A set of:
Flare Blitz
Earthquake
Head Smash/Wild Bolt

gets neutral coverage on everything. To me, at least, that shapes up to be very good.

I find the Reckless ability too risky as Emboar would surely die a few turns after it was summoned to the battleground, and he doesn't have STAB EQ.