• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire it Off! The Twin Gigavolt Havoc of Friendship!! (1044)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1044.jpg

Fire it Off! The Twin Gigavolt Havoc of Friendship!!

Having been sent into a mysterious world by accident when battling Tapu Koko, Ash finds himself in front of the Pokémon School, but this is not the world of the Pokémon School he attends. However, the mysterious trainer Ash has befrieneded continues his fight against the Ultra Beast, Guzzlord, who is responsible for all the destruction in this version of Hau'oli City. Will they be able to stop Guzzlord and to bring peace back to this world?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Well, this thread certainly took long enough to show up.

Anyways, this episode and the previous one were pretty awesome! While I adore SM's usual shtick, it was nice to go back to a more XY/XY(Z) feel (and it was EXTREMELY nice to hear that theme again; y'all know which one I'm talking about). Dia and Zeraora were an awesome foil to Ash and Pikachu, Guzzlord was an intimidating force of nature, and there was constant action throughout. Also, it seems that Dia is (thankfully) NOT going to end up becoming Tobias 2.0.

The only real complaint I have is this: how did Tapu Koko and his counterpart use their lightning to transport Ash between worlds? I've heard there's some sort of Japanese trope concerning parallel dimensions behind it, and I'd like to know more; however, that doesn't really change the fact could have just used a regular Ultra Wormhole. (That, and we really should've heard the full UB theme remix again by now. This was pretty much the perfect time to use it, to!)

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with these two episodes. In fact, I almost wish that this saga was a three-parter rather than a two-parter; it would've felt a little more complete that way.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I like how Akujiking's screams sound so much like just some guy. Not gonna lie, the part where it was falling through the floors as Satoshi and Dia were trying to get to the Ultra Hole was downright funny to me due to how utterly unintimidating that scream was. Oh and hey, we finally got Zeraora shouting "Ora Ora Ora Ora!" Took'em long enough...

Good ep though. Really solid animation all around, and while I haven't minded the more light-hearted UB episodes, it was neat to see an Ultra Beast that was an *actual threat* for once.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I like how Akujiking's screams sound so much like just some guy. Not gonna lie, the part where it was falling through the floors as Satoshi and Dia were trying to get to the Ultra Hole was downright funny to me due to how utterly unintimidating that scream was. Oh and hey, we finally got Zeraora shouting "Ora Ora Ora Ora!" Took'em long enough...

Good ep though. Really solid animation all around, and while I haven't minded the more light-hearted UB episodes, it was neat to see an Ultra Beast that was an *actual threat* for once.

Actually, I find Guzzlord's scream to be pretty disturbing.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
This was a good episode too, and a decent conclusion to the 2 parter, though it definitely didn't hit the highs of last week's episode. Personally, I found the first half a little dull, and I still don't like the fact that there's no pmention of Zeraora's ability at all.

Guzzlord's screams were pretty intimidating last week, but I don't know if I got used to it, but in today's episode I found it pretty hillarious since it sounded like a man with the worst screaming impersonation of all time. Anyway, so the plan is to push that glutton into the Ultra Wormhole, and Ash and Dia actually almost did it, before Guzzlord recovered and handed their butts to them, before a moment of plot convenience from Tapu Koko, which helps to reactivate their Z Rings. As expected Ash and Dia manage to pull off a dual Gigavolt Havoc and push Guzzlord into another world. Also, Tapu Koko you're clearly strong enough to trap Guzzlord in that Electroweb, so why didn't you just help Dia much earlier in getting rid of Guzzlord? Just makes you seem like a lazy Guardian.

Overall I give this episode a 6.5/10. It was a decent episode and conclusion for this 2 parter, and I thought both the Pikachu vs Zeraora battles were decent. However, I didn't like the extremely convenient moment of Tapu Koko charging their Z Rings, and the whole premise of Tapu Koko transporting Ash via some inter dimensional traveling rather than simply a worm hole being responsible. Highlight of the episode to me was of course hearing Ash Greninja's theme. That turns almost any scenario epic.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Reposting a review.

That was a conclusion to an awesome two part arc.
I liked how Ash was bonding with Dia and Zeraora in his normally friendly way and it seemed to snap Dia out of his edgy mood.

But the biggest highlight is once again Guzzlord and how it fought. As expected... a Z move finisher brought and end to the fight. But more that it shoved Guzzlord back into the wormhole he came from. (Also thumbs up for electro web being a MUCH more useful move than electro ball could ever hope to be.)

I give my hat to the anime for portraying Guzzlord straight, from start to finish as a threat and giving Ultra Ruin as a whole the respect it deserved.

9.5/10 One of the best mini arcs in the SM series and even one of the best mini arcs in the shows history.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I like how Akujiking's screams sound so much like just some guy.

I mean, it's a giant walking mouth, so that's a bit appropriate.

Not gonna lie, the part where it was falling through the floors as Satoshi and Dia were trying to get to the Ultra Hole was downright funny to me due to how utterly unintimidating that scream was.

I personally loved the scream it made when it was being forced into the Wormhole.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
2 things:
-I can't wait for the dub to air so I can see ryu taylor rant about guzzlord's voice here
- @Genaller , what do you think about pikachu's performance in this 2-parter?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
It took wayyyy too long for the thread to be created.

I really loved this episode. The subtle parallels between the two dimensions were intriguing like seeing the Shiny Tapu Koko help them push out Akujiking. It really does sound like a vicious, enraged monster terrorizing the abandoned wasteland. I loved how the world started to brighten up once they pushed Akujiking into the Wormhole. It felt appropriate to use XYZ theme (though if they're going to use the previous saga's music, I'd really wish they'd use past sagas' BGM as well!)

I really like Dia and Zeraora and I have a feeling we'll see them again. He felt like an authority figure that Ash can look up to.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Great episode. XYZ was unexpected and I saw an Ash-Greninja reference with Ash ‘syncing’ with Pikachu. I wonder where Guzzlord went and it’s interesting how the time in the AU passes much quicker than the time in Ash’s world.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I just hope we get more koko episodes

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
I sure hope that we get to see lycanroc at least revisit akala, in addition to tapu koko appearing more often

hottom3rd

DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE PIKA AND ASH WENT INTO BATTLE BOND WHEN GRENINJA ASH THEME PLAYED? I cerntainly noticed that Pikachu and Ash synced, and although it may be fan service, it is worth noting because if they share that bond that does differ from the normal Z move bond..

It would be really neat to see pikacu take on a smiliar role of having the battle bond without having to transform.. I mean ash greninja was something very unique but I always wondered why Pika couldn't at least mentally synch with Ash the same way.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Good use of the Battle Bond Greninja theme

Was nice to FINALLY have an Ultra Beast episode that actually had some tension in it

If the Ultra Goofs had been involved, it'd probably have ended with Mallow using up her One Deed Per Ultra Beast Episode to feed it some food and it's so disgusted by it that it leaps through the hole all on its own

Except that Mallow’s food is...well...you know...delicious.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
After last episode, I thought the writers were going to make Guzzlord responsible for the destruction of Dia's Melemele Island, so I appreciate that they still included the lore from the games—that humans overdeveloped the land and polluted the environment, and then Guzzlord showed up. It still wasn't clear if Guzzlord was just "cleaning up" the humans' mess or if it added to the problem; but at least now we better understand why Tapu Koko wasn't around. Humans destroyed its island, so consequently, it abandoned it. My impression was that it only reappeared to help at the last minute because it felt that, at last, humanity (read: Ash) was worth helping.

Once again, Guzzlord was treated as the legitimate threat that a creature that just eats everything in sight should be treated. Its screams, however, bordered on downright hilarious—especially its scream as it was falling through the floor.

The only real complaint I have is this: how did Tapu Koko and his counterpart use their lightning to transport Ash between worlds? I've heard there's some sort of Japanese trope concerning parallel dimensions behind it, and I'd like to know more; however, that doesn't really change the fact could have just used a regular Ultra Wormhole. (That, and we really should've heard the full UB theme remix again by now. This was pretty much the perfect time to use it, to!)
Here are the basics of the trope, based off what I've seen in anime: If characters from two different, but parallel, worlds perform the same action (or very similar actions) simultaneously, it can cause a rift between the parallel worlds and allow characters to travel from one world to the next. That's what happened here. The Tapu Koko from Ash's world and the Tapu Koko from Dia's world performed the same action at the same time, and that transported Ash from his world to Dia's world/Ultra Ruin.

What wasn't really clear to me was how Ash managed to return to his world. Unless both worlds' Tapu Koko performed the same action and we just didn't see it, what caused that pillar of lighting to appear that enabled Ash to return to his world?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
After last episode, I thought the writers were going to make Guzzlord responsible for the destruction of Dia's Melemele Island, so I appreciate that they still included the lore from the games—that humans overdeveloped the land and polluted the environment, and then Guzzlord showed up. It still wasn't clear if Guzzlord was just "cleaning up" the humans' mess or if it added to the problem; but at least now we better understand why Tapu Koko wasn't around. Humans destroyed its island, so consequently, it abandoned it. My impression was that it only reappeared to help at the last minute because it felt that, at last, humanity (read: Ash) was worth helping.

Once again, Guzzlord was treated as the legitimate threat that a creature that just eats everything in sight should be treated. Its screams, however, bordered on downright hilarious—especially its scream as it was falling through the floor.

Here are the basics of the trope, based off what I've seen in anime: If characters from two different, but parallel, worlds perform the same action (or very similar actions) simultaneously, it can cause a rift between the parallel worlds and allow characters to travel from one world to the next. That's what happened here. The Tapu Koko from Ash's world and the Tapu Koko from Dia's world performed the same action at the same time, and that transported Ash from his world to Dia's world/Ultra Ruin.

What wasn't really clear to me was how Ash managed to return to his world. Unless both worlds' Tapu Koko performed the same action and we just didn't see it, what caused that pillar of lighting to appear that enabled Ash to return to his world?
maybe it's about counterparts and dia is ash's? They should've really touched upon that more. Anyways, the flashback in sm100 didn't make it seem like the island was polluted when guzzlord came, but now it's said it was polluted before. ???

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
They cut away to Ash's world, where Koko had reappeared and it used Spark again, just like its counterpart did in 100 when Ash and Koko were battling

In 100, Shiny Koko's Spark connected when Ash's Pikachu’s Thunderbolt was interacting with Koko’s lightning, opening a rift

In 101, Koko’s Spark connected when Ash's Pikachu’s Thunderbolt was interacting with Zeraora's Plasma Fists, opening a rift

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
This was a pretty good episode. I'm surprised that the Pokemon anime mentioned how Ash could actually die if it got near Guzzlord again. From sound of things, Dia is implying that Guzzlord has actually done more than just destroy the island but also it's inhabitants too. Also I just love the Ash-Greninja theme music played during Ash and Dia's victory against Guzzlord. That made a good episode even more awesome. My only problem, a minor one since this is the anime were talking about, was the plot armor at the end. I cringed a little when Dia and Ash were battling, thunder struck and Ash & Pikachu just ran to it like nothing, accepting it as a gateway to their world like they planned it out lol. That was so funny but I guess they wanted to wrap up the episode quickly. Personally if it was me, I'd want to see that version of Alola slowly rebuilt by it's returning inhabitants in a third episode as Ash looks for a way to get back home but even with the lack of a satisfying concluson, the lack of it honestly kind of felt small compared to the much greater episodes as a whole. This is definitely an awesome two-parter and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this was called as one of the more memorable episodes of the Pokemon series as a whole.

Seriously though. Who let out a big smile when they heard the Ash Greninja music? That was so freaking awesome when it played during Ash and Red's... errr... I mean Dia's victory!