• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire Training Battle! Ash VS Paul!! (1203)

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
Why not battle Paul at his Gym? Hopefully he is the Viridian City Gym Leader.

And we got a flashback of Aipom!!!!

Kinda happy that Tracey didn't appear here. The guy deserves a full episode.

Garbodor.

Brilliant episode, it showed Paul's growth as a character (loved his positive interaction with infernape) and that had he chosen to take part in the master's 8, he most certainly would have made it to the master 8. Incredible show of support by Ash's reserve pokemons.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
great episode, anyone not happy with it is just a hater at this point.
But it wasn't a great episode,it was very rushed.
Garchomp did not beat Dragonite with one attack
My mistake three attacks I was tired while watching this episode.
stop saying this nonsense.
Am I sensing some attitude here?
We get you like Paul, but chill out lol he served his duty of helping train Ash and is gone now
And this is what I expected from most of the fanbase,to react to his long overdue return and then immediately move on because they really don't care about the character.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Just realized Paul Become Gym Leader is tribute to Blue Became Gym Leader in Pokémon Game
That’s what I was thinking. The fact that he’s studying at Oak’s and could potentially take over the ambiguous future of the Viridian City Gym cements it for me. His more positive attitude reminds me of Blue in the Johto games too.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
That’s what I was thinking. The fact that he’s studying at Oak’s and could potentially take over the ambiguous future of the Viridian City Gym cements it for me. His more positive attitude reminds me of Blue in the Johto games too.
Was it stated Paul is taking Viridian Gym?

I wanted him to beat Brandon and became a Frontier Brain (preferably replacing Spenser).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Was it stated Paul is taking Viridian Gym?

I wanted him to beat Brandon and became a Frontier Brain (preferably replacing Spenser).
Not that I’m aware of. It’s just the best case scenario considering that’s he’s studying in Pallet which is close to Viridian and it’s the only Gym without a confirmed permanent Leader. Though I guess he could take over for Maylene so he’s home with his brother Reggie

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Even if it isn't stated I totally headcanon Paul as the Blue of the anime lol by taking over the Viridian Gym. It makes so much sense and is very fitting for him!! Giving him the role Blue has post being defeated by Red is some very good writing!!
Also Paul is clearly an elite trainer, this episode proves it. My man would definitely make Raihan his ***** and I could see Paul as the unofficial #9 trainer, really his only competition is Flint

charchar56

But it wasn't a great episode,it was very rushed.

My mistake three attacks I was tired while watching this episode.

Am I sensing some attitude here?

And this is what I expected from most of the fanbase,to react to his long overdue return and then immediately move on because they really don't care about the character.
Sorry, no attitude intended. You mentioned garchomp one-shotting dragonite more than once, that was a loud and wrong statement, so I was compelled to correct it lol

I like Paul, definitely the best rival (I do think Gary would've been the best if he didn't go the research route though). The post below summarizes how I felt about his return/the episode as well. hope I quoted it right!

Brilliant episode, it showed Paul's growth as a character (loved his positive interaction with infernape) and that had he chosen to take part in the master's 8, he most certainly would have made it to the master 8. Incredible show of support by Ash's reserve pokemons.

DayQuil95

Journeys keeps delivering with these great episodes recently. Two excellent Alola episodes, one good Project Mew episode, and now this glorious episode as well? The animation was awesome, and it was cool to see Lucario and Gengar learning new moves, even though Dragonite took another L...

Loved the episode, was great to see reserves again, and even better to see that they can keep up with the new team in terms of speed and strength when training. Plus, Infernape has been having so much emphasis on these episodes, that moment of him blocking Will-O-Wisp was amazing, they can't not use him in the PWC, that'd be such a bad move.

GGuitarGuy95

I really don't get why people are so upset about Ash not using reserves. Weren't you all complaining about the returning characters overshadowing this serie's new plot and characters for fanservice the entire run? Why is it that NOW you want Ash's old pokemon to overshadow his new ones for pure fanservice? This episode fits perfectly with the "passing of the torch" theme this series is going for, every returning character and pokemon helps Ash and his pokemon, Go, and Koharu in their current journeys. I'd love to see reserves too, but Ash not using them was never a problem and still isn't, specially now that it fits with the narrative.

Imo, there's two camps when it comes to this whole Oakmon debacle. Most ppl wanted Ash to use reserves from the very beginning. Others were okay with Ash using his Journeys Team until he reached Master 8.

Rohanator

Shinji's comment about him not liking festivities or whatever was probably just him being coy and not caring to explain himself, Oak's comment about him wanting to become a Gym leader at the end is the real reason, he just doesn't care about being the strongest anymore he wants to help people now, that's what a Gym leader does and that's how he behaved in this ep with how he deliberately tried to prepare Satoshi for his future opponents.

SevereRacccon6

Sinnoh and Kalos Enjoyer
Shinji's comment about him not liking festivities or whatever was probably just him being coy and not caring to explain himself, Oak's comment about him wanting to become a Gym leader at the end is the real reason, he just doesn't care about being the strongest anymore he wants to help people now, that's what a Gym leader does and that's how he behaved in this ep with how he deliberately tried to prepare Satoshi for his future opponents.
Yeah it was pretty clear he was putting himself at adisadvantage while fighting ash by not using his aces. DP Paul would have never let himself be a leg down no matter what.

Atleast people who were saying Paul wasnt nearly as good as Ash can shut the **** up and go cry in their beds because this batlle was litttt.

Imo Paul would have won had he gone Electivire Torterra (Who has only gone down to Cynthias garchomp on screen) + 1 (Maybe Ursaluna or Ursaring???)

Also i saw k6666 point out that this is tribute to Blue becoming a gym leader (isntead of an e4 for some reason) and it really does feel that way, Paul is atleast low Champion tier aka Raihans level

Last edited: