• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fire Training Battle! Ash VS Paul!! (1203)

MartínK

I hope Will-O-Wisp replaced Ice Punch, that move doesn't suit Gengar.
Finally the writers remember that Lucario is also a steel type but i would like that he learned Meteor Smash instead of Bullet Punch.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I like how Infernape tolerates Paul but is not hypefriendly towards him.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
It's a good thing Ash isn't using his reserves, since he's trained them even less than his PM19 team
They have been training offscreen with each other as shown by Infernape so this isn't an argument at all

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
The episode was decent. Could have been better if they would’ve focused on either the training with reserves or the battle with Paul instead of doing both, but whatever.

I liked the training with the reserves part more. The battle felt a bit too rushed, Lucario learning a new move out of nowhere was…weird, especially if he could’ve learned it due to his training, similar to Gengar, and I generally disliked that Ash used the same 3 Mons he already used against Raihan. Especially Negigaknight could have benefitted from a win, we‘re in the endgame and the only good result he had was the draw against Drasna.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I find this episode most splendid one I have ever seen in my life in Pokemon Anime. First Ash reunites with all of his pokemon. Then in the training battle, he and his pokemon crushed Paul. And now he's ready to duke it out in the Master Right Tournament.

STICKTOPIA

It was really nice seeing dragonite, gengar, and lucario working with ash’s other Pokémon like that. It was also nice to see his older Pokémon especially the ones we didn’t see last time. I really loved seeing gengar working with all the fire types. I guess they remembered you after all Torkoal. It’s nice to see gengar get a win in its regular form since Visquez.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
It’s funny how everyone says that all of Ash’s pokémon sit & rot in Prof. Oak’s lab but this episode showed they seemed pretty happy/content living there. Plus, since they have Ash’s Journeys team some training & pointers, they’re clearly still in perfect fighting condition whenever Ash needs them.

If anything the lab feels more like a vacation/retirement home where they’re living their best lives rather than a prison or anything like that

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ash: Okay, everyone! I'm taking these guys to the tourney. You all watch! Now, cheer them on!
The Reserves: *proceed to kill Ash*

...Oh, wait. That didn't happen.

Well, it took over 100 episodes, but we finally had a nice training episode that SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN WITH THE RESERVES NOT ALLOWED TO BATTLE. DEAR GOD. IT'S POURING A TAMATO BERRY IN THE WOUND.

Yup, Lucario keeps a clean loss record.

Why is Dragonite such a jobber now? It can't seriously be the new Gengar. This is awful.

I hate how JN’s art style massacred DP Ash. He looks so much younger. Old art style>>>>>>>>>new art style
WIDE TURTWIG HE CHONK HE POTAT

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Ah my heart is content! Paul returns, all of my favourites of Ash’s Pokémon make an appearance, not only do Dawn, Brock and Piplup make a cameo but so does Ash’s Torterra as a Turtwig! Ahhhhhh
It’s a lovely trip down memory lane. Journeys has served me well as a DP fan!
Now with around 20 episodes left, I hope we have a small DP reunion and Dawn and Brock team up with Ash, Goh and Chloe to help them track down Mew (add Misty in that and I’m a very happy fan)….a guy can dream!

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
That second picture right there? That's the BEST flashback ever in the anime, not taking in any other opinions
That scene and that episode is honestly one of the best written Pokemon episodes till date, and seeing that frame that honestly means a lot to my childhood just makes me really emotional, it hits as hard back when I was 7 or 8 as it does now when I'm 19 almost 20
Freaking perfection

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I pretty much enjoyed the episode. My main gripe is lack of Tauros (I'm sure I didn't see the herd at all, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Finally the writers remember that Lucario is also a steel type but i would like that he learned Meteor Smash instead of Bullet Punch.

Lucario learned Steel Beam before.

now of course we've got to see which move gets replaced...I doubt Aura sphere's going anywhere.

I know Lucario learned Steel Beam recently, but i also know how people feel about that move...and I know that we've had pokemon swap learned attacks out before, Buizel comes to mind as it learned Water Pulse, but eventually swapped it for Ice Punch

Cause I kind of hope it keeps Reversal, but that would mean that unless steel beam is replaced, Double Team would have to go and i'm not so sure if the writers would give that up.
So are we not going to talk about the fact that Goh was allowed to keep his Regi?

further proving how unimportant they are to people, despite being legendaries. It's really hard to care about them given the sheer number of them that can be found compared to most other legendaries.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Shinji's comment about him not liking festivities or whatever was probably just him being coy and not caring to explain himself, Oak's comment about him wanting to become a Gym leader at the end is the real reason, he just doesn't care about being the strongest anymore he wants to help people now, that's what a Gym leader does and that's how he behaved in this ep with how he deliberately tried to prepare Satoshi for his future opponents.
You do realize gym leaders aren't entitled to helping in this universe, right:

Maylene: Please help ME!
Volkner: I'm bored. Take your badge and leave. (Reminder that his game version did battle anyone, even if it was boring to him.)
Clay: GO GET ME MAH WEED
Skyla: haha you lost in my head you are weak
Roxie: lol you are so weak I'll let you use 6 Pokemon against my 3
Korrina: Wow, 4 cheerleaders for me! I mean, help me make my Lucario stronger!
Clemont: Okay, I finally got a better Pokemon than my Heliolisk through Ash. Now time to fight him!
Heliolisk: DA FU-?!

Pokemon losing battles suddenly make it a jobber? This shows how dumb that sounds since people were saying the same thing after Gengar only lost 2 battles without winning
Except his Dragonite has 2 losses in a row. In Journeys, that's already a lot from a battle-starved series. And on top of this, Dragonite has basically lost focus since he beat Iris...and that was like 50 episodes ago.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Dragonite literally has 3 W and 2 Ls
And is responsible for Ash advancing Normal and Super Class
And not to mention took down Iris's ace which is the best feat yet of any of his Pokemon
Losing 2 battles against experienced trainers doesn't mean he's a freaking jobber what's wrong with people
JN has no jobbers. You people don't know the meaning of jobbers. Torterra, Noivern and Post release Goodra were jobbers, constantly losing and not contributing significantly to a battle. Losing a battle isn't a jobber. Losing all battles is what a jobber is, geez