1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

First Attempt At A Rain Team

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by azeem40, Dec 28, 2012.

1. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Hello smogon forums. I have decided to go beyond my realm of team building and run my very first Rain team. I am pretty sure it is going to have some flaws considering the aforementioned fact, but I hope to use some constructive criticism. I honestly don't know what to look for, because whenever I test my teams, even after doing so, I could never figure out what changes I should make. With that being said, I hope you guys will help me out with my uncharted territory of weather teams. Anyway, enough of the introduction, here's my team!

Team Building Process

First, a good Pokemon to start a rain team with is Tornadus-T.
    It can plow through whole teams with the proper support,
    which my five other members plan on doing.

[​IMG]

Now, its most powerful attack is 100% accurate under rain.
    The only partner that helps with that is Politoed. I decided to use Specstoed

[​IMG][​IMG]

Both Politoed and Tornadus-T are zapped into oblivion by the many electric types, such as
    Thundurus-T, Jolteon, Rotom-W, etc, so I needed a Pokemon that can take these threats out.
    A Thundurus-T of my own would help as it only fears Specs Rotom-W, so I decided to go with
    it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Torn-T and Thundurus-T are both weak to Stealth Rock, so a Rapid Spinner was a must. I decided
    to use Starmie for the job because, although it adds an Electric weakness, I already have
    Thundurus-T to absorb electric attacks and Politoed is specially bulky enough to survive
    unboosted ones. To not hamper on the offensive presence I have on this team, I decided to use
    the Standard Starmie.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I lacked Stealth Rock and a Pokemon that has both offensive presence and the ability to set
    SR up is just what I wanted to use. I also needed a
    Dragon type resist, so in came Metagross, fitting the bill quite nicely.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I lacked a revenge killer and a Pokemon to help me clean up late-game. Scarfkion allows me
    to deal with Volcarona, who could hurt me outside of rain.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

After a few tests from suggestions by you guys, I agree with Mosquiton that I am pretty weak to Mamoswine and I can't really handle Tornadus-T without sacrificing a Pokemon. To counter that weakness, I replaced Metagross with Bronzong. It has about the same physical bulk as Metagross (if not better) but a lot better SpD to take hits from Tornadus-T without being KOed easily.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here it is, my Offensive Rain Team.

A Closer Look..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conclusion
    Here is my team. Please critique it as best as possible. I really want to get better at making Rain Teams. Thanks!​

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Atrocious

Atrocious Well-Known Member

Grass Knot doesn't hit Gastrodon very hard actually and Hippowdon is rarely seen anymore so go with Focus Miss. Not really gonna get into rain teams as I've seen too many -.-. Scarf Keldeo for Terrakion? Idk. Seems like a good rain team nonetheless.

3. SkyDriver

SkyDriver Hiding in the grass

Great team, like the offence :D

Focus Blast, as Zone is the only thing in OU resisting BoltBeam.

Nice Metagross, really like him in OU. Didn't even know it got Pursuit, original way to handle the lati's.

Terrakion Jolly nature, to outspeed max speed modest venusaur in sun by one point and dealing like 60% damage with Stone Edge.

Only 1 eletric hit taker isn't enough. Small prediction it takes to see Thunderus coming into the field. With him gone, electric sweepers pose a major threat. Perhaps you could add a Grass type, like Virizion, instead of Terrakion, as revenge killer. Maybe less powerfull, better synergy and bulk it provides.

Nice team :D

4. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Yeah, the Terrakion was an awkward edition to my team. He is the most dispensable. I am in need of another revenge killer that synergizes well with my team. Any ideas?

5. Atrocious

Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Moltres? If you manage to keep Rocks off, Moltres works extremely well with Tornadus being able to punch holes in other teams opening up the sweep for Tornadus. It also OHKOs Ferrothorn in rain with Fire Blast, not sure if that's with Specs or not however but that's not something many can boast. Then again, some Electric resist is nice. Sigh -.-...

6. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Yeah, I'd rather not have another Electric weakness. I am okay with three, but I think the best thing is another electric resist or immunity.

7. Atrocious

Latios or Jolteon...yeah I'm out of ideas for today..-.-...

8. SoulMuse

SoulMuse Shadow of nothing

Hm...okay....Jolteon will walk all over half of your team as it stands. (Before someone says something about Thundurus-T, Jolteon carrying Hidden Power ice will do over 60% in one shot ie. is enough for a guarunteed 2HKO, and Thundurus isn't going to OHKO a full Health Jolteon.) Jolteon can simply Volt Switch out on Metagross, and Terrakion is the only thing you have that threatens it, and I am not to sure that HP Ice wouldn't do some nasty damage.....(Goes to run Calcs) LO Jolteon using HP Ice against Terrakion can only 3HKO, althought Thunderbolt will in fact 2HKO you, meaning you can probably kill it, assuming your opponet doesn't see that you are Scarfed. so you can force it out that way. Metagross however, will eat about 50% switching into a LO Thunderbolt, and will be left with about 17% health after a Volt Switch.

Point is, Jolteon walks all over this team.

Also, and opposing Jolly Scarf Terrakion can probably do a number to most of your team as well, with Metagross being your only switch in, the Genies are OHKO by Rock Slide, never mind Stone Edge, your own Terrakion is KOed by Close Combat. Politoed is I think 2HKOed by Close Combat (To lazy to go redo the calc.) Anway, that won't end will for you, since if Terrak gets a clean switch in, you are almost assured to lose something. On that vein, Scarf Keldo will OHKO Metagross, with Hydro Pump, and I am to lazy to redo that for Surf. Thundurus-T is going to die about half the time to Surf, and Torn is 2HKOed. I think you can figure how terrak goes, and even Politoed is 2HKOed by Surf.

In fact, I am going to ammed the above to say that Keldeo and Terrakion just kill your team in general, Scarves or not.

I want to suggest you add a specially defensive Latias somewhere in there, both to counter Sun, and to patch up the Keldeo and Terrakion weaknesses. Looking above you mention Terrak as the most removable....not sure Latias fills the same roles...Hm...Yeah, Latias would should work in that last slot...

Latias@Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP, 252, Speed, 4 Special Attack
    Dragon Pulse
    Calm Mind
    Recover
    Psyshock

Nothing really amazing here. Yeah, you lose the revenge killing potenial of Terrakion, but gain the ability to wall non Band Terrakion, and non Specs Keldeo. Since you outspeed both, assuming a lack of Band and Specs, you can set up a Calm Mind, Recover as needed, and KO with Psyshock. Speaking of which, Psyshock keeps you from being walled by Blissey, and Dragon Pulse is main Damage dealing move. This will sort of help with your Jolteon weakness as well.

Ugh...need to go to sleep.

9. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Hmm, Idk about losing a revenge killer. I don't want to be stuck late-game without a cleaner. Latias could work in my team, but I think over Thundurus-T, not Terrakion. I need another revenge killer and late-game sweeper to replace Terrakion.

10. SoulMuse

SoulMuse Shadow of nothing

That would work too, I was simply trying to keep you from losing the electric immunity you have.

11. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

This is tough. MAYBE I could make Latios/as a revenge killer over Terrakion, but Idk 100%.

12. Atrocious

Latios is a decent revenge killer with great speed scarfed outspending common scarfers like Terrakion, Keldeo, etc with also great SpA firing off Draco Meteors.

13. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Latios does help against my electric weakness. I will test him out over Terrakion.

14. Manectrifier

Manectrifier AKA Treecko

Some other options for revenge killers that resist electric attacks: techniloom, choice scarf nidoking, scarf rotom-c, raikou,scarf landorus (either one).
    There`s not much, but I think these are your best bet, together with latios. Most have an ice weakness, though. Then almost your whole team is weak to the boltbeam combo, which isn't something you want either.

Good luck with the team!

15. AGGRON GUY

AGGRON GUY expert breeder

well if your making a rain team you should only go with water types because then if you have the move rain it will do masive damage.for example water types usingh water type moves boost the damage and so those rain so have a water pokemon use rain then hydro pump and it will probaly be ohko.and also i recomend not to use legendaries because makes easy to win which is no fun.well only use these 2 legendaries groudon and rayqaza because they are awsome.aggron rules!

16. AGGRON GUY

AGGRON GUY expert breeder

well if your making a rain team you should only go with water types because then if you have the move rain it will do masive damage.for example water types usingh water type moves boost the damage and so those rain so have a water pokemon use rain then hydro pump and it will probaly be ohko.and also i recomend not to use legendaries because makes easy to win which is no fun.well only use these 2 legendaries groudon and rayqaza because they are awsome.aggron rules!

17. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

The above advice doesn't help me. Sorry, but I don't think it is a good idea what you're saying.

18. Sparkbeat

Sparkbeat FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!

This is something that I just noticed. Rocks + Banded terrakion + Rotom-w will rip holes in this team. Terrakion can hit a CC or a Stone edge and hit everything for a good amount of damage. With a little prediction, he will stomp this team. Paired with specially defensive rotom-w to help take on starmie and tornaus-t and you're team may have some problems. I suggest defensive celebi.

;251;
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave/ coverage move
    - Coverage move or u-turn

19. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Defensive Celebi over who?

20. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

I've been suggested a few things from another source as well, so I will try out all the suggested changes, report back the results, and update the OP with the suggestions that help the most.