• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First attempt at Sandstorm

This is my first attempt at building a competitive pokemon team. This team is used to battle against a group of friends that have been playing for quite some time. I am just getting more into pokemon and decided to build this team to try and compete with them. We do not play in any specific tier but rather, we refrain from using what we refer to as cover legendarys (any legendary that is on the cover of a pokemon game). Any feedback and help changing/bettering this build will be greatly appreciated. Now, without further ado, here is my Sandstorm build.

-Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
Adamant 252 Atk / 78 Speed / 180 HP
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Stealth Rock

My first and obvious choice is my Tyranitar. It's job is to setup the weather and to put down Stealth Rocks. Usually comes in after some scouting has been done with my Lead below, my old friend from previous generations, Scizor.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician
Adamant 252 Atk / 8 Speed / 248 HP
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance

My normal scout. This pokemon functions well for me as my scout using U-turn to deal some decent damage with Technician + STAB and Life Orb, then allowing Tyranitar to come in in most cases to set up my weather and stealth rocks. I could think of no other pokemon to do this job for me.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Sand Rush
Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin

My usual sweeper. With some predictions and revenge kill switches, this pokemon is usually devastating to my opponent. Coming into a pokemon that cannot cover it usually forces a switch, allowing my to set up a Swords Dance, buffing my attack and allowing me to use Sand Rush to begin out speeding and tear my opponents team to shreds.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Sand Veil
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

Usually my secondary sweeper. Garchomp serves the purpose of dealing with some of those threats I usually cannot deal with. Plus, its great speed is nothing to sleep on especially with Sand Veil making it hard to hit with most of the moves that come in the meta.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 HP
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-ThunderShock
-Hidden Power Ice

Rotom serves as my first special wall. It can levitate, covering it's ground weakness, making it only weak to grass types. It also gives me access to Hydro Pump and Thundershock in one pokemon. Usually serving the purpose of wearing my opponent down and safely volt switching away from any pokemon that can seriously threaten it.

Latios @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 4 SpD
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Hidden Power Fire
-Psyshock

Last but not least is my Psychic Dragon friend, Latios. This pokemon greatly tears apart fighting types that usually damage my team. Having access to Psyshock and Hidden power Fire allow it to deal with most of the Fighting types of the meta that usually cause my team problems. It also helps deal with the rain match-up, having access to Surf which will receive a boost in the rain.

Last edited:

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
If this is OU, Excadrill is banned and Garchomp needs to have Rough Skin. Please let us know what tier this is.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
In that case, I only recommend Bug Bite > U-turn, for not getting rid of your own boosts.

In that case, I only recommend Bug Bite > U-turn, for not getting rid of your own boosts.

The reason for U-turn is that im using Scizor in the first position to scout, then switch out to Tyranitar for the Sandstorm to start up. Other than that, otherwise if my Scizor is boosted I wont be U-turning unless it is in serious danger, untill then I use Technician Bullet Punches to weaken foes.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Sry but I couldnt edit my post on 3DS but rotom has thundershock? make that thunderbolt. Also Dragon Pulse > meteor for maintaining the ability to hit hard. otherwise go specs/scarf. On Chomp, FBlast > Fire Fang, for hitting Skarm etc. harder.

Alright, I gave Rotom Thunderbolt (Had the TM lying around, never noticed). Giving Latios Dragon Pulse just means taking another trip to the move tutor, thats no problem at all. As for FBlast on Garchomp, my only problem with that is Garchomp doesnt have much special attack that I can brag about.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Fire Blast still torches the Steels you'd see, mainly Skarmory and Ferrothorn, both of which it hits harder than Fire Fang. And Fire Fang triggers Ferro's Iron Barbs, Fire Blast doesn't.

I also agree with Bug Bite over U-Turn, since with U-Turn and boosts it basically forces you to a choice of losing out on your Bug STAB (and it's a rather useful offensive type), or sacrificing your boosts.

Alright I guess I will try the Bug Bite rather than U-turn. Would it be wise to use Choice Band or Scarf rather than Life Orb on my Scizor? And is every one else on my team good?

Anymore feedback for this team. I could really use the advice from some experienced players who have used sandstorm teams before

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
the 1st issue i see in this team is the water weakness, now you may have rotom to beat other water type but what happens when gastrodon it will damage your team, so to fix that you could give rotom hp grass next if rotom dies for whtever reason i can see rock p landours sweeping the rest of your team since you hav noting else to beat it and thats all i can rte for now

I have yet to adjust my team because I am having a hard time deciding what to do with it. Does anyone else have any advice that can help me better my team?

P.S. - Can anyone who knows a thing or two about Drought teams help be build another team im working on? Just PM me if you can help please