• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First Competitive Team. Need Advice Please.

BrianOnLineID

Hi! So I have been breeding pokemon for my team. I used this team in pokemon showdown, but I didn't do very well with them.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Sturdy
Calm
4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Hp
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Heavy Slam
- Sleep Talk

My aggron is still a wall after some changes. Got rid of stealth rocks because it wasn't really doing much. I find that I stall out alot of my opponents with rest and sleep talk.

Sylveon @ Sitrus Berry
Cute Charm
Calm
4 Sp / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Draining Kiss
- Light Screen

Using light screen for my other pokemon is super helpful. I wish I had a fairy move that did more damage but I like that I can gain Hp back with draining kiss

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Gooey
Modest
4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Hp
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge bomb
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Goodra works pretty well as a bulky Special attacker. After changing the ev's I can take more hits. I just wish I could do a little more damage.

Conkeldurr @ Life orb
Sheer Force
Jolly
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Bulldoze
- Rock Slide
- Force Palm
- Poison Jab

I really wanted to use Braviary, but it just wasn't doing much on this team so I replaced it with Conkeldurr. All of the moves take advantage of the sheer force life orb combo. Its strong but it is slow and its defense isn't very good. I might need to put 252 into Def or SpD. Not sure which.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Brave
Adaptability
252 Hp / 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
- Switcheroo
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Crunch

Thanks to backwardinduction I think I have a good set for Crawdaunt. My biggest problem before with Crawdaunt was that I was too slow to do any damage with it but now with aqua jet, 252 Atk, Adaptability and a brave nature I can at least do some damage before I die.

Rotom-Wash @ Chestto Berry
Levitate
Modest
4 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Hp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

This rotom-w set has really helped me out. I think it is perfect, but if anyone has something better or something that fits the team please let me know.

So these are some of the changes I made. There is improvement but it not ready yet. I think I need something that can take out my opponents rotom-w and gliscor.

Last edited:

chap196

For Sylveon
I wouldn't use Focus Band on Sylveon as it is too luck based (only 10%). I would use Sitrus berry instead for extra recovery.

For Clawdaunt
I wouldn't use Ice Beam on it, even if it covers a lot of type, its Special Attack is lower than its Attack and also Ice Beam won't benefit from Dragon Dance. I would use Superpower or Rock Slide instead.

For Rotom Wash
I would use Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave instead of Confuse Ray as Will-O-Wisp lowers your opponent Attack or Thunder Wave to slow them. Your opponent can just switch out their Pokemkn to cure confuse while your opponent need to use Lum Berry or Heal Bell to cure Burn or Paralyze. For the last slot, I will actually give it Rest and give its Item Chesto Berry as Rotom-W's best item: Leftover and Sitrus Berry has been taken already, so you can try a Rest Chesto Berry combo.

Hope this help

BrianOnLineID

Thank you chap196!! I used your suggestions on showdown and they totally work! I also noticed that braviary wasn't doing so well so I switched him for conkeldurr. It worked out a little better. Rotom-Wash really saved my team a few times! Rest Chesto is great!

Last edited:

BrianOnLineID

Made some changes to the team! Please let me know what you think and how I can make it better! Thank you!

backwardinduction

For Crawdaunt, I typically only run a bulky Choice band set with it. Now that it gets aqua jet and switcheroo new this gen as egg moves (and superpower too) it can run a trick-band set very well and revenge kill very well with aqua jet. A band and adaptability boosted aqua jet does 80% to mega T-Tar, and takes out weakened pokemon that don't expect it. Furthermore switcherooing the choice band cripples defensive pokemon with tons of recovery (most walls you can just flat out destroy though) and crunch or knock off OHKOs almost everything weak to it.

BrianOnLineID

@backwardinduction

Thank you! What is the ev set you use on crawdaunt?

backwardinduction

I just use 252 in HP and Attack (with an Adamant nature, quiet is BAD for crawdaunt, but brave would be fine for a TR team) and put the remaining ones in special defense. Its honestly probably an inefficient spread, but I haven't really used crawdaunt enough to make a more efficient spread (ie taking points out of power when its strong enough to KO all it needs to and adding them to special defense to survive a few more specific attacks). Considering aqua jets low base power, even though it is one of the strongest aqua jets in the game by far thanks to its ability, more power helps it a lot, especially if you can't fit in waterfall or crabhammer on the same set, since crawdaunt relied on those two moves before it got aqua jet.

Most of the level 50 differences make sure you don't waste 4 EV points if you have a spread that reduces to an odd number of extra stat points at level 100, but an even number at level 50, if that makes sense, so maxing 2 stats works fine, as long as there aren't any specific rather than general situations you want your crawdaunt to perform well in.

BrianOnLineID

Ok. I will try out that set and I will get aqua jet. I'm thinking of using aqua jet, crunch, dragon dance and switcheroo with choice band. I'm just going to have to breed little bit more. Thanks again for the help!

backwardinduction

Just to caution you, using a boosting move on a choice set is really contradictory, so you'd have to pick on or the other. The difference is that a choice set is move of a hit and run attacker and revenge killer, while the dragon dance set is for more of a set up sweeper, but I find it hard to set crawduant up with dragon dance as he'll still be slow, and running swords dance with aqua jet would be a better set up set.

BrianOnLineID

Ok. I will replace dragon dance with superpower. Thank you!

BrianOnLineID

Made some changes to Crawdaunt thanks to backwardinduction I think the team is good, but I have a feeling that Goodra, Sylveon and Mega Aggron could be better. Please rate my team. Thank you!