• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First Gen Pokemon - Fifth Gen Competition - Final Draft

Alright another change has been made so please give me some more feed-back. I know it isn't the best team ever, or even close, but i think it can be good. You guys have helped a lot, i just need a little more advice. I have added my general weakness chart because that's where i have trouble.

This is my second draft of this cool team and it needs work (So please give me your opinions). This is a 5th gen competitive OU singles team. The fun part is im only using "classic" 1st gen pokemon, because they are the bomb. The idea was make a solid easy to use team of 2 attackers, 2 defenders, and 2 supporters, with the theme of classic (my favorite) pokemon. It is supposed to be a fun team for me because thats the point of playing, but i also have a winning prerogative so be real. Alright, heres what it turned into.

ATTACK
Role: Physical Sweeper
149.png

Adamant@Multiscale@Lum Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost
Summary: Dragonite's Immense Attack and good speed it's obvious he'll clean up pretty well. He has a standard move set. I went with Dragon Claw over Outrage for Accuracy, and Flamethrower for Scarm and other Steel Walls. Roost is because he wont be locked in combat with Outrage. The plan is Dance, Attack, Heal, pretty easy. Neutrally hit by electric and weak to ice.

Attack
Role: Physical Sweeper
91.png

Jolly@Skill Link@White Herb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
Summary: In agreeance with suggestions i chose Cloyster over Tentacruel. Shell Smash is the crux of this set, doubling Cloyster's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed to threatening levels. Icicle Spear is the perfect move for Cloyster; because of Skill Link, it will always hit five times, effectively making it a 125 Base Power STAB move. Rock Blast offers great coverage with Icicle Spear, hitting Fire-, Water-, and Ice-types for at least neutral damage. Cloyster Totally blocks my ice weakness on Dragonite and Dugtrio, but is another hurt by electric.

ATTACK
Role: Revenge Killer
51.png

Jolly@Arena Trap@Choice Band
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw
Summary: Dugtrio is designed to fill two purposes. One fill my electrical weakness. The second is swap in after the fainting of an ally and finish off the weakened enemy. Earthquake serves as a powerful STAB move, while Stone Edge completes the famed EdgeQuake combination, offering fantastic coverage on both grounded and airborne foes. While many can switch out due to Levitate, Sucker Punch is a potent weapon against enemy Ghost- and Psychic-types, such as Gengar, Azelf, Latios, and Latias, if they decide to stay in the fray. Its priority is also useful in case the opponent is clearly faster than Dugtrio. However, Shadow Claw is a more reliable, weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, which will cause damage even if the foe attempts to use Substitute, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, Will-O-Wisp, and so on.

Support
Role: Healer
134.png

Bold@Water Absorb@Leftovers
252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Summary: With a defensive EV spread, Vaporeon can tank multiple hits from opposing Pokemon. Scald serves as Vaporeon's STAB move and has a handy 30% chance of burning the opposing Pokemon which is great for crippling physically based Pokemon who think they will be getting a free switch-in. With Vaporeon's large base 130 HP stat, means that it will be healing much of the team for at least 50%. Protect is for healing himself or stalling while Chansey or Tentacruels poison takes place. 1/2 damage on ice i think these two counter the Dugtrio/Dragonight ice weakness.

SUPPORT
Role: Cleric
113.png

Bold@Natural Cure@Eviolite
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Protect
Summary: I chose Chansey over Blissey because of my love of 1st gen, so shoot me. With Vaporeon as my healer Chansey will cure the status ailments that would normally cripples pokes like Dragonite. She also has protect for stalling poison damage like Vaporeon.

Final Pokemon
Role:????
Ghost_I.png

Summary: I really don't know what to do here? Im thinking any pokemon that will fill my teams weak points and pull the end together. So let me cover those points to my knowledge. They are Electric, Ice, and Dragon. So ill keep this short and cover each. x weak - blank neutral - o resist
Weakness: Electric l Ice l Dragon
Dragonight:---------- x----- x---
Cloyster:------x------o----------
Dugtrio:-------o------x----------
Vaporeon:-----x------o----------
Chansey:------------------------

So the final count Electric affecting 3 major members with 1 resist. Ice effecting 2 with 2 resist. And dragon is inevitebly neutral as long as dragonight can out speed. So without access to steel type dragon status won't change. Also i think two for two on ice is okay. However the one electric resisting revenge killer doesn't do the job. Imo i need another electric sponge and for that i look to you guys.

Alright so there you have it. Tell me what you think and please give suggestions. I realize i have weaknesses so as well as pointing them out please suggest improvements. I am open to drastic changes even pokemon choice but please "try" to keep em 1st gen. Thanks for all your time.

Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
It's really cool that you added what the role of each pokemon is :D
On Slowbro, I would suggest Calm Mind over Thunder Wave, since it is "Attack". Doing so will allow it not only to destroy most pokemon, but to wall most attacks as well. You don't really need Flamethrower; you have Scald to take care of most Steel types. Give it Psychic (for STAB), or Ice Beam (for coverage against Dragons) instead.
Rather than wasting precious EVs on Sp. Atk, give Arcanine 252 Speed and 252 Attack EVs, and give it Close Combat instead of Overheat. Overheat is redundant.
Because Vaporeon is a healer, give it 252 HP and 248 Def instead.
Give Chansey 4 Special Defense EVs instead of 4 Attack EVs.
One last thing before I go: you have a massive Electric weakness, and no way to cover it. Dragonite is hit neutrally, your three Water types are hit super-effectively, and Arcanine is too frail to sustain a hit. Chansey is the only one who can really take an Electric hit, but as most Electric attacks are Special, I'm not sure how long Chansey will last. Consider replacing Vaporeon, who is kind of redundant, and giving Chansey Wish over Softboiled (you can use Wish on the first turn, and Protect on the next to heal Chansey and stall longer). Maybe add Landorus (if you can get it) to beat up Sand teams and take Electric hits?

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
You may want to add in alternate items if you plan on using this on the wifi with flat rules as item clause is in effect on those matches and you have leftovers on half your team. Apart from that I would not like to be on the receaving end of your teams attacks so nice team.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Sorry for double posting but Magnaton and Magnazone are the only two useable pokemon that resist your main weaknesses. They both take 1/2 damage from ice, dragon, and electric.

Magnaton
Ability Magnet pull
Modest
EVs 252 hp 252 s.atk 6 def or 252 hp, 128 def, 128, s.def
Eviolite/Choice specs
Moves:
-Hidden power fire/ice/Protect
-Thunderbolt/Thunder/Charge beam
-Toxic
-Substitute

Wall/weak special attacker/steel trapper pokemon not as good as Magnazone but it works(sorta) Just try to stall you opponent to death(or if you want to risk it go for a bunch of charge beam boost or paralysis with thunder)

Magnazone
Modest/timid
Ability magnet pull
Item: Choice spec/Air balloon
EVs 252 s.atk 252 speed, 6 hp
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden power fire/ice
-substitute
-Protect/toxic

Better but doesn't fit your requirements still its related to 1st gen so you could bend the rules if you want to. standered trapper and s.atk attacker.

Last edited:

Quagsireking

I am the king!
Put jolteon on the team. Reason i suggest jolteon is due to the fact that a) i get the feeling that this team is going to battle in ou and jolteon is an excellent ou electric, b) jolteon can be switched into any electric attack and heal up, and c) jolteon has great speed and sp att.

Here is a guide set:
Jolteon
timid
252 speed, 252 sp att, 4 hp
Moves:
Voltswitch
Thunderbolt
HP [ice]
shadow ball/signal beam

With jolteon's special stat being extremly high, volt switch is promised to do monsturus amounts of damage, while also alowing you to get out if its looking to be a situation were you can't win. T-bolt is a strong reliable stab. Hp[ice counters things like whimsicott, hippowdon etc, that resist all of jolteon's other moves. And shadow ball/signal beam are moves that put the hurt on pshycics, darks (for signal beam), and ghosts (for shadow ball)

Hope it helps.

McDanger

while i like you idea, politoed helps this team to an extreme, a steel is the best shot at blocking your weaknesses adn the only 1st gen iis magneton. I would suggest mew as he does basically anything you need, sweep, stall, support
also respect to the ghost sprite ;)

Haha, thanks mcdanger i thought no one would notice, and yes i agree with you guys. I thought the best last pokemon would either be Jolteon, or Magneton. However i hadn't thought about Mew...