• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

first news from Comic Con

Shift

I'll learn you good!
I agree they're not winning any awards, but I find them to be fully acceptable songs. Actually, I've been listening to the BF song a few times, and it's starting to grow on me.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I just hope the animation isn't all cut up, but since the lyrics are only 30 seconds long, I imagine the opening will be sped up and cut out some scenes. :(

Crap, even PUSA is going to gut the openings.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Well, if they're going to keep 100% of the episode footage, then it might be kind of necessary. I've heard that American television has to have at least seven and a half minutes or so of commercials per half hour, so in order to keep with that, it's either the opening and closing themes, or the episode itself. Take your pick.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm not sure though, Cartoon Network doesn't require as many commercial breaks as KidsWB did.

And since Pokemon is airing directly on CN, I'm guessing we'll have one less commercial break. (Most likely the last break for the last 2 minutes will be gone)

Shift

I'll learn you good!
Well, they used a combination of footage from the Spurt OP and the Frontier Brain battles. It worked decently enough. But you know, it's all because of the fact that the US runs commercials long than Japan does, so the shows in Japan get a few extra minutes. When it's broug over here, generally something has to go. At least this way, there's a smaller chance of them cutting time from the actual episodes.

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Eh, the new dub song's okay. It's not any worse than the songs 4KIDS made. The good news is that it's only 30 seconds, so maybe we'll be able to get the episodes fully uncut when they air on television.

Also, is anyone but me getting tired of these cheesy, generic lyrics that we've been getting in EVERY single anime dub opening in the history of time? I mean, everywhere I look, we've got dub lyrics like:

"Ooooooh, you can do anything of you try!
We're gonna be the best, and that's no lie!
There'll be battles along the way,
but we'll make new friends, I say, I say!
Ooooooooooooooooooooh, we'll win!
"

If PUSA wants a minute-long opening, why not just dub "Battle Frontier" into English and then cut out the middle part? Then, when the DVDs come out, we can get the opening uncut.

But the new opening's fine, I guess.

Shift

I'll learn you good!
CyberCubed said:
Anyone know exactly what has been cut animation wise?
Well, let's see. I can tell you what they included: the scene with all of Ash's Pokemon lined up in shadow with the Pokemon BF logo over it, then some footage of the Greta and Tucker battles, followed by Donphan figting Arcanine and Swellow fighting Skarmory, the entire scene with May's Pokemon and rivals was kept along with a piece of where Ash and Co are running with Tyranitar, the whole scene where the brains (fully revealed) line up and the camera rotates around Ash with the spinning symbols, and ends with Ash displaying Tucker's symbol with Pikachu, Swellow, and Corphish.
MagicBox said:
Eh, the new dub song's okay. It's not any worse than the songs 4KIDS made. The good news is that it's only 30 seconds, so maybe we'll be able to get the episodes fully uncut when they air on television.

Also, is anyone but me getting tired of these cheesy, generic lyrics that we've been getting in EVERY single anime dub opening in the history of time? I mean, everywhere I look, we've got dub lyrics like:

"
True dat, true dat.

Last edited:

minakichan

Beginning Trainer
It seems I've a knack for jumping into news/convos way too late.

My two cents of the day: American shows do tend to require a bit more commercial time than the Japanese, it's true, but it's not as big a factor in cutting as many believe. There are plenty of anime shows that get dubbed with close to full Japanese time, plus opening and endings. Not quite sure HOW that works, but let's just say that there are more ways to make "time cuts" without actually removing any content.

HoennMaster

Sounds like a great opening image wise, but only 30 seconds? I'll have to wait until I see it. I was hoping for fully translated Spurt though.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
MagicBox said:

"
Like the Japanese openings are really any better (regarding lyrics)?

"Let's travel, battle, become stronger, and win!
We must break through barriers and rivals
And smi~le despite really difficult hardships!
I'll cry occasionally, but I have my friends! [insert Pikachu sounds]
GET Pokémon, aim for the top!!"

^Is what they boil down to, basically. They just sound prettier and use more flowery language, stuff about wind, and shooting across the galaxy like stars, and flames/burning. (And they use a language that most English speakers listening to them don't understand anyway, meaning that the "OMG travel GET pokmon freinds and aim for Pkmon mastr!!!1" in them doesn't matter to those to whom it matters in the English songs.)

You know, once there are two songs about the same topic, that topic isn't unique anymore. There are thousands of songs that boil down to "I love you" and "I'm angry at you" and "we must save the planet" and "yay money." Would you rather the Pokémon openings be "romance and courage" songs as in Sailor Moon (and like Pokémon's "Kakurenbo," the opening theme to the 4th mini movie), or perhaps the "I have a really sad friend, hope they buck up" songs of Bleach, or anything else having little to do with the show? Or what?

Or were you saying that they sound very similar in style, instrumentation, and vocals, but you got into the lyrics for some reason? I'll give you that.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Kthleen said:
"Let's travel, battle, become stronger, and win!
We must break through barriers and rivals
And smi~le despite really difficult hardships!
I'll cry occasionally, but I have my friends! [insert Pikachu sounds]
GET Pokémon, aim for the top!!"

which song is that? The "get Pokemon" and Pikachu sounds seem to be something out of "Mezase Pokemon Master", but those lyrics seem a bit off from what I remember of the song (I don't recall any "aim for the top" line following "Get Pokemon").

Edward Elric said:
Justin and Butler, I don't mind that you guys don't care for the original. That's fine since we have a lot of members here who only watch the dub. But what I won't allow is any kind of insulting of people for their opinions. So far, you two have done nothing but curse people out and make generic comments towards other people's opinions as well as a dub you've yet to even see.

As I said before, I got into the argument late and hadn't even seen the topic before I made my first post in it. Butler, you dragged me into it with your subtly bashing comment, claiming that I'm against you when clearly it's YOU who seems to be the center of all the problems.

This is the SECOND time I will give a verbal warning. Cut the crap and stay on topic.

Justin, enough with the exaggerated comments regarding other people. All you seem to do is come into threads and mouth off about how people are crazy for prefering original work and then using really bad examples to back up any of your claims.

I'm simply tired of this nonsense and I've said it in the movie DVD topic. This is NOT the place for discussion about which voice actors are better and who's opinion is better than the others'. You're arguing over a ****ing CHILDREN'S CARTOON SHOW. If you're gonna debate over something, do it in a manner that doesn't result in insulting others and telling them to "burn in hell." Otherwise, you're making yourselves into the exact target audience for the show; children.

I just saw this. It's funny that people who shall remain nameless do the same thing about people who don't care for or don't watch that Japanese version. We've been called "less intellgent" "uncultured" and various other names. So do your job on this forum and be unpartial and unbiased as you suppose to be when moderating a forum.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
PokeMaster Justin said:
We've been called "less intellgent" "uncultured" and various other names.
Well to be fair, someone believing that children shouldn't be taught the existance of differing cultures and traditions from an age where they are most impressionable, doesn't exactly sound like the brightest bulb in the tool shed. Unless alienating kids from outside cultures and rendering them ignorant, or possibly even racist, is the smart thing to do these days...but hey, I'm no parent, so what do I know?

Though in any case, I'd love to see these posts. If only for the controversy and a hearty laugh! [img139]http://www.serebiiforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif[/img139]

AtoMan

Restoring the Kanto
Seems USA is a commercial devil. Rights in Poland don't allow to play commercials during kids shows, or shows shorter that 30 minutes. Pokemon is kinda short, and i don't believe it HAS to be under 22 minutes to stay uncut.

Japanese BF OP is 1:30 long - too long for US. 4kids' OPs, starting from JLC were 45secs, except PAB which was 1-minute long. The new BF OP is just lame, like the logo (i say about video), and song itself isn't THAT bad (I wonder if John Siegler and David Rolfe had something to do with it), but way too short.

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Kthleen said:
Or were you saying that they sound very similar in style, instrumentation, and vocals, but you got into the lyrics for some reason? I'll give you that.
Yeah, I suppose that's what I was trying to say. I just thought using lyrics would be the best way to get the point across, but I guess it wasn't the best choice.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
MagicBox said:
Yeah, I suppose that's what I was trying to say. I just thought using lyrics would be the best way to get the point across, but I guess it wasn't the best choice.
Just saying that it makes sense for the opening songs to be about the show's topic. (Though I'm not sure what Bleach is about and if its songs are germane, as I've only half-watched maybe 7 episodes because the first opening was weird and the second was pretty....)

Yamato-san said:
which song is that? The "get Pokemon" and Pikachu sounds seem to be something out of "Mezase Pokemon Master", but those lyrics seem a bit off from what I remember of the song (I don't recall any "aim for the top" line following "Get Pokemon").
I was just summing them up and putting whatever came to mind down.
...Actually, the more I look at it, it seems that they more often put it as something like "can't stop until the end." Maybe I put what I put because I saw the title of "Ano Oka wo Mezashite"....

Anyway, there's "tomaranai saigo made" from "Challenger!!", "Ready go! Motto touku! Kumo wo tsuki nuke sora e to" from "Ready Go!", "Aa akogare no Pokemon masutaa ni naritai na naranakucha zettai natte yaru" from "Mezase Pokemon Master", and "Ikuze saigo made" from "Battle Frontier".

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Pokebeach has a clip up of the Season 9 opening. Wow, they completely cut and butchered the Spurt opening.

At least we know PUSA still enjoys destroying the openings like 4kids, they removed all the scenes of Ash's Pokemon, removed all the 10th anniversary stuff, and I didn't even think Brock and Max showed up in the opening at all?

At least they kept the scene of May/Drew/Harley, but the rest was absolute garbage. Where are the shots of the group? All we get are scenes of Ash battling Brains. Do we really need Ash shoved down our throats and all the good scenes cut out?

PUSA fails with openings, I seriously hope they don't pass off that garbage as the opening for Season 9.

They ruined what was one of the best openings in the series.

Last edited:

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
PokeMaster Justin said:
I just saw this. It's funny that people who shall remain nameless do the same thing about people who don't care for or don't watch that Japanese version. We've been called "less intellgent" "uncultured" and various other names. So do your job on this forum and be unpartial and unbiased as you suppose to be when moderating a forum.
I don't usually watch the Japanese version either. I'm just not the one who stated children shouldn't see cultural bits like the Princess Festival or kimono's. And I'm neither a dub nor original purist like most people here

PUSA fails with openings, I seriously hope they don't pass off that garbage as the opening for Season 9.

Ah it starts...we're already finding things. I always loved 4Kids intros up until Master Quest ew...well Pokemon Advance intro wasn't bad either...

I don't usually watch the Japanese version either. I'm just not the one who stated children shouldn't see cultural bits like the Princess Festival or kimono's. And I'm neither a dub nor original purist like most people here

There's nothing wrong with that at all. I rather like when Misty and co were at the Princess Festival...I thought perhaps myself it was a Japanese reference/culture. I just like when paint edits happen to translate signs, or make the inside japanese only jokes American. I feel as though the adaption has room for a mix of both...one shouldn't be subjected to either or.