• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

first news from Comic Con

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
intergalactic platypus said:
Thank God. That will make everyone STFU with all this SOVA stuff hopefully
You're living in a dream world Miss. Platypus, a dream world! A place where Hitler delivers presents on Christmas Eve, and Chickens pilot stealth bombers whilst humming the Inspector Gadget theme song.

Doesn't matter how good or bad they are, people will always find something negative to pick up on. Such is the way of the pokémon fanbase, unfortunatly.

...Ash releases too many pokémon!!

Harold the Wonder Dog

Thunder Trainer
The Great Butler said:
Anyone ready for Valley Girl Ash? Screw Valley Girl May, we had the tag on the wrong character all along.

PUSA has utterly no clue what they're doing. I'd even take Kayzie Rogers' Ash over taking a chance on this new one. How about we fire Bill Rogers next and hire Maury Povich as Brock? After all, he's got a gravelly voice.

This situation just gets more and more depressing.....

Hrm, that's odd. Looking at her resume, I don't see "Valley Girl" listed under the various types of accents she does. Oh, but I guess your statement is based off of previewing her work, right, and not just a pointless assumption based off of absolutely nothing?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
That's the vibe I got from her, but yes, I will concede that I overreached there.

But still, this troubles me. I don't understand how an 18-year old girl is any better than a 40ish (? please don't be mad at me Veronica) for Ash's voice, and I'm very, very worried about how certain characters will be dubbed now.

Fruitcake Tucker? Wasn't like that in the original.

Macho Greta? Might be done because she is a martial artist.

And the one I fear most.....completely redubbing Anabel, giving her a male name and voice just because she has a flat chest.

Nothing's out of the realm of possibility now.

Shift

I'll learn you good!
Maybe, just maybe, her age had nothing to do with it. Maybe just just sounded good as Ash. The point is, as far as we've been told, the fan reaction was generally positive, and we can't exactly judge for ourselves until we hear it, either when it comes out or when Pokebeach posts it. Also, Anabel won't be changed; that's just very silly since she's the Salon Maiden.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
PokeBeach.com has a much more detailed experience since WPM is there right now.

Pokebeach.com said:
WPM is going to go to a screening of Lucario and the Mystery Mew at Comic-Con. According to him, he has seen the Japanese version enough time to notice any edits and will report them once he sees the movie. Wonder how good of a job he'll do finding them. Before the screening, he's going to have a chance to talk to some of the new voice actors who will also be attending the film along with other PUSA representitives, since he's said they were eager to speak with him once they knew he were representing a Pokemon website. WPM says he will leave his mic on "accidentally" when speaking to them. Oh, WPM you sly fox, you. He also wanted me to mention that the new voice actors seemed very friendly and excited about their new positions. Also that the initial fan reaction to the redubbing was a positive one.

After the movie, he will go to the Nintendo booth to check out the English version boxart of the Mystery Dungeon games. Not much to be expected from that, but there is a lot to expect from the new special issued by PUSA to promote the Mystery Dungeon games later this year. As some of you may know, the special is planned to have the Pokemon speaking to each other in English (or whatever language is most associated with your location) in the game. So the special itself is going to have Pokemon speaking with a voice that you can understand. (rather than using subtitles like in "Island of the Giant Pokemon") The good news about this is that fans will get the chance to vote for whichever voice PUSA finds on the internet and pick the best one! (had we only this chance to pick the main cast themsevles...) But stuff like this is really showing that PUSA means business in dubbing Pokemon, that or they're hoping we'll start liking them after the violent tear-away from 4Kids. Heh.

Lucario and the Mystery Mew will also include a Mew TCG game card with the DVD. I'm uncertain if this is a reprint or not, but maybe we'll get lucky.

WPM also wants me to mention somewhere that PUSA representitives say the name Bonsly "Bons-Lee" rather than "Bon-Sly". I realize that this defeates the Bonsai-Sly pun, and that Pokemon representitives aren't infallible when it comes to something as simple as the pronounciation of a name. Please keep in mind that that WPM only reports things as told to him.

EDIT #2: Porygon here substituting for WPM as mentioned earlier. He's called me back from Comic-Con to report some (good?) news for those of you who might have not fully enjoyed The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special the first time it aired, which is impossible, because everyone adored it. EVERYONE. Apparently the special is coming to the Lucario and the Mystery of Mew DVD, not only that - but it has been redubbed! WPM was lucky enough to hear a sample from it, and says Ash, Brock and May sound much closer to their original voice actors than they did last time. (I overheard someone in the backround saying Brock still didn't sound good if you want a second opinion.) When WPM returns, he will post up the entire conference on the website through some sort of sound-file, so you'll be able to hear them -somewhat- in action!

However, the only VA who had changed from the original Mastermind cast was Ash. So, without any futher ado: The new ASH KETCHUM IS Sarah Natochenny. Brock still remains Bill Rodgers as he was before. But as WPM said, he took a very different approach to his voice this time around which was supposedly much closer. Hope for everyone's sake he's right this time. As for the rest, I will edit this update whenever WPM calls me back, if he ever does...

EDIT #1: I've arrived in San Diego and will be walking over to the convention center now. If I don't update the site within the next hour or so, then I do not have wireless internet. In that case, I'll call Porygon on my phone and he will update the site with the news I get.

Alright, the train station I am at that goes to San Diego has internet, so the train station at San Diego has internet as well. I'll update the site when I arrive at San Diego, then tell you all if there is internet at Comic-con for me to do live updates. Cya!

dannyphantomhott

Ash fan girl! Cute!
Wait a minute are they giving us a new special or just redubbing the one we had? I think I'll read the article.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
TGB, they won't change the genders and/or characters. They said themselves that their mission is to keep it as close to the Japanese original as possible, which thank God seems to include keeping the voices closer to the superior Japanese ones I've seen on YouTube

TeddiUrsa

The Great Butler said:
That's the vibe I got from her, but yes, I will concede that I overreached there.

But still, this troubles me. I don't understand how an 18-year old girl is any better than a 40ish (? please don't be mad at me Veronica) for Ash's voice, and I'm very, very worried about how certain characters will be dubbed now.

And the one I fear most.....completely redubbing Anabel, giving her a male name and voice just because she has a flat chest.

Don´t forget surfer accent Brawly or australian accent Pokemon "Ranger" in jotho...waaaaaaaait...THAT was 4KIDS..-.-

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Shift said:
Maybe, just maybe, her age had nothing to do with it. Maybe just just sounded good as Ash. The point is, as far as we've been told, the fan reaction was generally positive, and we can't exactly judge for ourselves until we hear it, either when it comes out or when Pokebeach posts it. Also, Anabel won't be changed; that's just very silly since she's the Salon Maiden.

Simple. Change her name, never use the title. But of course, this is PUSA, who can do no wrong.

Of course they're going to tell us the fan reaction was "positive."

EDIT: This came up as platypus posted so I didn't see her message until after I typed this one. Of course PUSA will tell us what they think we want to hear, but noone knows how well they will deliver on that promise any more than anyone knows how poorly they'll do.

....did that sentence come out right? I know what I wanted to say but I couldn't put it down properly......and even if Anabel stays the same, there's still the matter of Fruitcaking Tucker and Macho Greta.

Last edited:

KuwabaraTheMan

Thunder Trainer
Glad to hear they're trying to stay closer to the Japanese version. Should be enjoyable and much better then 4Kids version.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
There is absolutely no way that they could change her gender based on being flatchested. The games are too widely played for no one to figure it out. And anyway, if 4Kids, the most edit happy company in all of anime, didn't change Harley no one will change Anabel. I personally think your only saying this to this to think of more reasons to hate PUSA

Neko Godot

Hey! Listen!
It's cool that they're redubbing Mastermind with new voices, but it would be better if they redubbed Legend of Thunder.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
intergalactic platypus said:
There is absolutely no way that they could change her gender based on being flatchested. The games are too widely played for no one to figure it out. And anyway, if 4Kids, the most edit happy company in all of anime, didn't change Harley no one will change Anabel. I personally think your only saying this to this to think of more reasons to hate PUSA

Harley was kept as a fruitcake because 4Kids knew how popular he was that way. Not enough people care about Anabel, just like nobody cared about Hun before she was changed (though, I actually LIKE her as a girl more ! I just can't picture the character with a male voice)

And please, don't put words in my mouth or second-guess my motives. I want to be wrong, I really do.

Neko Godot

Hey! Listen!
The Great Butler said:
Harley was kept as a fruitcake because 4Kids knew how popular he was that way.
But according to 4Kids, Japan doesn't exist. Oh well, I wonder if Harley's VA will change.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
may lover said:
But according to 4Kids, Japan doesn't exist. Oh well, I wonder if Harley's VA will change.

It will because Andy Rannells has been gone from VA work for a while now, and he's not coming back.

Apparently they were aware of the possibility of a huge backlash if they macho-ized Harley so they kept him a $3 bill. That's the rumour I've heard, at least.

But I just realized---this is why "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" isn't out in the US yet---because they were repackaging Mastermind with it! I should have thought of that....

Seiryu

Resident dragon
The Great Butler said:

Er, last I checked, didn't voice casting depend less on age and more on that little thing called...oh, I don't know...talent? Take, for instance, the voice of Alphonse Elric in FullMetal Alchemist's dub. The kid was twelve years old at the time of recording, and he did a mighty fine job with his role, if you ask me. That this new Ash voice is eighteen shouldn't really matter, just so long as she can get into his character and voice him well.

The Great Butler said:

NEWS FLASH! PUSA IS NOT RUN BY BRAINLESS MORONS! TAJ IS NOT SOME NEWBIE DUBBING COMPANY!

Okay, I'll admit that I won't be surprised if the first two come about like that. However, if what OGT says is true, they're trying to stick as closely as they can to the original version; I assume this means character personalities as well. As I said, TAJ isn't exactly new to the dubbing process.

As for the Anabel one...here, I think you're just being completely irrational. Screwing with Anabel like that would totally **** up continuity with the games and manga. They are NOT that stupid. I mean, c'mon, you're acting as if they're 4Kids' One Piece team or something. =/

Neko Godot

Hey! Listen!
The Great Butler said:
But I just realized---this is why "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" isn't out in the US yet---because they were repackaging Mastermind with it! I should have thought of that....
Makes you wonder: If a PUSA special is put on the dvd, does that mean the movie was redubbed? It did take a while for it to come out, and I doubt they plannned the redubbed special. And I also notice the box art is the Japanese poster art, something 4Kids has never done.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Butler, you've offically lost it. You have. you've got completely off the deep end making all these wild predictions that fly in the face of common sense. Why would a branch of Nintendo of America intentionally botch a game created character so badly to change their gender. Especially when despite the lack of breasts they look and act quite femine.

And the out right attack of the latest VA for Ash is completely uncalled for. You assume just because she's eighteen she doesn't have talent. She could be very talented for all you know. And since they're looking at Satoshi and not Veronica's shell of Ash for inspiration she may be even better than Miss Taylor. Maybe she can actually make him sound like a man. It's not like they hired a ten year old girl, her voice is about the same it'll be for years.

Gravy's right, your complaining just because that's what you do. You won't be happy until Pokemon is back in the grimy hands of 4Kids so that you can have your precious equally medicore voice actors because you hate change and would rather make us all suffer to cater to your insecurities. Well the balloons gone up and you better be ready to live with it. Just gettin the original music would more than make up for shotty VA work anyway.