• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

first news from Comic Con

Neko Godot

Hey! Listen!
The Great Butler said:
Just like picking fights where you don't have to, right?

At least I'm not an anti-American racist like you, shoving the Japanese culture down the throats of people who don't want it.
First of all, you don't know if they are from America. Second of all, I can consider that comment you made racist, too. And finally, settle this through PM. This has nothing to do with the topic.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
You don't want to talk about slander, Al. Trust me, you don't want to at all. And besides, looking at your record of bashing every small change the show made to be more American, it's fitting.

i hope to god you get banned troll!

WTF? This came from nowhere...

First of all, you don't know if they are from America.

Huh? I'm confused. Who do you mean? I could respond if I knew who you were talking about.

Second of all, I can consider that comment you made racist, too

I'm not the one bashing someone else's culture at every turn. I simply said I would like to not have it shoved down my throat.

If I was racist against the Japanese, I'd crank-call Japanese restauraunts and call them slurs or something. Not complain about a cartoon on an internet message board.

And finally, settle this through PM

Al started the fight here, so the ball's in his court on that.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
My location being "The Mitten State" I think cements the fact I'm an American.

The reason I want the Japanese culture to return is because it was the heart and soul of season 1. Would episodes like "Ghost of Maiden's Peak" and "Princess vs. Princess" have been nearly as good if all the culture was removed? If I want to watch something with American culture, I'll watch an American cartoon.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
The Great Butler said:
Just like picking fights where you don't have to, right?

At least I'm not an anti-American racist like you, shoving the Japanese culture down the throats of people who don't want it.
The show was made in Japan, so its only fair that there will be some elements of Japan in the series. That happened in earlier seasons to be fair, so I don't see why it shouldn't happen now too

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I'm proud of you, Al. You backed down where I didn't. You are a bigger man than I. Now we can have a calm discussion about this.

There should be a way for everyone to be satisfied. Most people can watch the raw version on YouTube, seeing as most people have computers by my calculation. The dub version is just that---a dub---so it should be more americanized, at least that's what I'd think.

Maybe subbed bilingual DVD's ARE the answer after all....

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
But TGB, did you really mind stuff like Princess Day or the twerps drinking tea while TR was showing off? Was May wanting Ramen really the end of the world? Did that really bother you? Because thats about the extent of the Japanese culture within the original show. With all due respect I don't see how its harmful

Neko Godot

Hey! Listen!
The Great Butler said:
I'm proud of you, Al. You backed down where I didn't. You are a bigger man than I. Now we can have a calm discussion about this.

There should be a way for everyone to be satisfied. Most people can watch the raw version on YouTube, seeing as most people have computers by my calculation. The dub version is just that---a dub---so it should be more americanized, at least that's what I'd think.

Maybe subbed bilingual DVD's ARE the answer after all....
It's a dub of a Japanese show, though. We have enough American cartoons, and there's nothing wrong with learning about different cultures.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
It's really a case of the cooks ruining the soup, or whatever that saying is. I'm not against the culture at all---in fact, I have May eating ramen in my fic---but I'm soured on it by all the overglorification I see. An equal amount of Japanese and American culture would be fair.

Aldrius

Orange Champion
Honestly, having a sign with Japanese symbols on it and calling what they're eating "suishi" and "rice balls".

That's hardly stuffing Japanese culture down anyone's throat. Removing it is just being stingy.

Look at Digimon, they reffered to Japan, they reffered to Sake, they reffered to Tokyo. Were the kids confused and did that show fail?

No, it was only cancelled because there was nothing left to air.

ANYWAY.

This sounds fine to me... I was unimpressed with the voice actors in the special, but then I've never really been impressed with any of the Pokemon actors. (Then again it's hard to tell... most of Pokemon isn't exactly full of emotional highs and lows...)

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I'm sure Digimon would have continued with new episodes if there was the demand, but I digress. And look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers---their heydays have passed, but they're continuing and even getting movies next year.

Konoko_Hasano

Ralts Line Samba
Digimon Savers(the fifth season) is scheduled to air next year in the US.

Back onto the subject. As long as the voices are good, I don't mind who is the actor. The only voice I couldn't stand in the Mirage special was James' voice. That voice just got to me for some reason.

The only Japanese episodes of Pokemon I've seen so far were part of the Vs Regirock episode, and part of Aipom and the King.

I kind of like the fact that they are going to try and keep it close to the original. The fact that they might keep some of the Japanese culture in it is nice. Just because a series is dubbed, does not mean they should destroy the culture.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I know I'm on my own but I can't stand the Japanese voices, especially Max's. He sounds too much like May to me.........that, and Brandon's voice made him sound like a bad parody of a superhero. Though I will admit the Evil Ash voice was good.

Konoko_Hasano

Ralts Line Samba
The Great Butler said:
I know I'm on my own but I can't stand the Japanese voices, especially Max's. He sounds too much like May to me.........that, and Brandon's voice made him sound like a bad parody of a superhero. Though I will admit the Evil Ash voice was good.
That's the reason you don't want Pokemon USA to dub, right? Since you don't like the Japanese voices. That's understandable. Since when you are used to certain voices that just sound right, it's hard to stand those voices being replaced with ones you dislike. Even if the new voices aren't the Japanese voices, they are supposedly going to be close to it. Which doesn't sit well for you because of the former reason. Right?

Heracross

Custom User Title
Konoko_Hasano said:
I kind of like the fact that they are going to try and keep it close to the original. The fact that they might keep some of the Japanese culture in it is nice. Just because a series is dubbed, does not mean they should destroy the culture.
It would have to have culture in the first place in order for them to keep it intact.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Konoko_Hasano said:
That's the reason you don't want Pokemon USA to dub, right? Since you don't like the Japanese voices. That's understandable. Since when you are used to certain voices that just sound right, it's hard to stand those voices being replaced with ones you dislike. Even if the new voices aren't the Japanese voices, they are supposedly going to be close to it. Which doesn't sit well for you because of the former reason. Right?

That makes sense. The real reason I was opposed was because I feel deep down that PUSA treated the old VAs poorly and then snubbed those of us who didn't like the Mastermind voices (which are the worst of the three, other two being Japanese voices and 4Kids voices)

Really, the truth is that I don't think anyone was opposed to PUSA from the start, seeing as it was announced a month before the VA change that PUSA was taking over and noone really cared. But when the VA change was announced the s**t hit the fan.

But to answer your question, not quite. I'd rather have the Japanese voices over the Mastermind voices.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I'd rather have the Japanese voices in general. I've seen clips of them and there way better then the VA's for the original, which with the exception of Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart, weren't my favorite

PDL

disenchanted
kind of a shame they decided to replace the new brock with a newer brock (he sounded sincere...)

I'm begining to wonder if the new dub will appear in Canada anytime soon...

and as for the flame war in the thread... You guys need to chillax...

I hope the voices don't sound more "close" to the japanese voices...we are here in America we don't want to hear high pitch voices with heavy over acting on almost every word. I know the 15 or so outspoken Japanese fans on this board will masterbate to this news but I like the way it has peen presented in our country minus the music replacement and the few petty mistakes that you people harness on it wasn't that bad.