• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

first news from Comic Con

That's crap. The 4 main voice actors of the Pokemon series were great talents.

PDL

disenchanted
Judai Yuki said:
Wtf so the Va's for the first Mastermind special are gone?

only Brock and Ash's... or at least that's what the article says...

frankly, the Kids WB version of MoM's biggest dissapointment in my opinion was Ash's new voice, I can't really stand that kind of voice for the main character...

I'm hopeful that this new person is just as good as Veroncia... and considering her pervious gigs, she's very very lucky to land such a role as a main character in a long running series, espscially one as popular as pokemon.

Heracross

Custom User Title
PokeMaster Justin said:
we are here in America we don't want to hear high pitch voices with heavy over acting on almost every word.
You mean like James? :)

Your post ftl really.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
The Great Butler said:
I know I'm on my own but I can't stand the Japanese voices, especially Max's. He sounds too much like May to me.........that, and Brandon's voice made him sound like a bad parody of a superhero. Though I will admit the Evil Ash voice was good.
Only to the ear of a person who isn't fluent nor speak Japanese. If you speak or understand a little of Japanese, you can see that most of the seiyuus play their part well. Same goes for the other way around, to the ear of a person who doesn't speak Japanese and is appealed to the sound of it (not hearing it everyday, and is attracted to something foreign) would call these seiyuus "perfect", but if they actually knew or unstood at least a bit of Japanese, they'd catch a few mistakes the seiyuus make from time to time. [/copyandpastedfrommypostintheclosedvoicethread]

As a person who watches other anime that's in Japanese, I say that Pokemon's seiyuus are average, can't say "proffessional", but good. But the above reason is most likely the only reason you "can't stand" the Japanese voices.

Seriously, this is GREAT news but you seem to be overreacting to it (no offense). Can't you people take change? If anyone thinks Pokemon fans get spoiled like crap, raise their hand. :'(

PokeMaster Justin said:
They're actually a bit subpar on the emotion and realism in current AG episodes. Doesn't mean they're bad though, but it also doesn't mean they're "great" or "excellent" either. I've heard better. :/

Last edited:

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
PokeMaster Justin said:
Its called an opinon dear. I admit I loved Eric Stuart's James and Rachel Lillis as both her parts, but for the most part I wasn't terribly into the voices

Shift

I'll learn you good!
First, I just want to bring up the fact that everyone's saying the new actors are closer to the original Japanese cast. Well, look here:
Pokebeach.com said:
WPM was lucky enough to hear a sample from it, and says Ash, Brock and May sound much closer to their original voice actors than they did last time.
It could be the Japanese cast they mean, or they may just mean it's closer to the original English cast. As far as I can see, they never mentioned it being closer to either one specifically.

Second note, the note about the Lucario movie are up:
Pokebeach.com said:
Plushies Galore - WPM reports that PUSA gave out a ton of goodie bags. He estimated around $30 per person seems like how much it would be to purchase, full of plushies and other random merchandise. I sure am glad I missed the chance to go. Yay!

Lucario Movie Dub Notes/Changes - Expect semi-spoilers, I'll keep the non-spoilery at the begining. Remember that this list is compiled completely from WPM's memory, so not everything could be right/somethings are bound to be missing. WPM also insited I put in random notes he had about the movie, they don't really mean anything other than his opinions. Feel free to enjoy...those.

Nothing cut or edited as far as visuals go.
Non-vocal Background music stayed intact.
Quiet scenes in the Japanese version had more talking in them, rather than just putting in extra BG music..
Whenever a person was talking over a Pokemon voice in the Japanese version, the dub had the Pokemon's voice redone.
Most script edits were humor edits involving Team Rocket. Only a very few were otherwise.
Toned down a lot of the screaming, less realistic/serious. Pory Note: I think this is typical of Anime and the Dub of Pokemon personally.
Some scenes may be sped up from the orignal version, WPM is unsure.
Begging does not work. It was in full-screen, with panning. WPM says this helped to reduce important things cut out much better than previous Pokemon movies.
Grammar was a little off in a few scenes according to WPM.
Less emotional than the orignal in general, specifically with the Queen and the kid.
WPM thinks the Queen had a british accent. (??)
Opening sequence stayed the same as in the japanese version.
Opening battle scene changed to the current Pokemon theme song, extended version. The Puffy-Ami-Yumi song was taken out from this.
"Almost all the pokemon in the movie were voiced by Eric Stuart", Weavile being one that WPM brings up.
Ending song was changed.
Ho-Oh's voice was randomly taken out during a scene and replaced with Pidgeot's voice.
The Regi's voice were remixed, not redone says WPM. He also said they were less dramatic and "scary" as a result. This was one of his biggest problems with the dub.
Regice's scene had the same voice, it's beeping removed.
Direct mentions to the words like "death" and "dying".
Aaron's voice was too soft; Lucarios voice was too grumpy. WPM thought Aaron Lucario needed to switch.
Lucario's grunting sounds were removed from most of the scenes.
Lucario may have been voiced by Eric Stuart; Aaron might have been someone from Yu-Gi-Oh or Goku's VA. WPM seemed very uncertain.
Mime Jr. never really said "Jr", it just repeated "Mime".
Mew's talking in the dub was less than in the original version.
There was a weird echo in the end that hurt people's ears that was not in the original Japanese version.
First half of the movie had more humor than in the orignal.
WPM also mentions that the Sarah Natochenny (Ash) and Bill Rodgers (Brock) were in the theatre watching the movie with everyone else. WPM was also surprised at the amount of people who apparently hadn't seen the movie beforehand, since any true dedicated fan would have it memorized just as well if not better than he! Expect sound clips (not the entire movie, we wouldn't want to get in any sort of trouble now) of the movie in a future update!

Token

Think of it this way. At least Ash will be voiced by someone other than Jaden, Yugi, Luffy, Insert VA who is in every freaking 4Kids anime dub.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
When they said they're closer to the original voices, they obviously mean the 4kids voices, not the Japanese ones.

That's what PUSA was aiming for, a continuation of the already established english tones.

Shift

I'll learn you good!
"'Almost all the pokemon in the movie were voiced by Eric Stuart', Weavile being one that WPM brings up."
Well, THANK GOODNESS we won't have to deal with THAT anymore.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Well we got our wish of no visual edits, some quiet moments, and original backround music. I'm so glad they changed the Regi's voices; the clips of their voices I'd heard before was enough to give you nightmares. Thankfully now they're less terrifying

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Glad to hear that May in her bikini in the hot springs wasn't altered, (not that I think it would be, as they never had a problem with May in bikini's before), so all is good.

Cannot wait.

Mio

Belief
CyberCubed said:
When they said they're closer to the original voices, they obviously mean the 4kids voices, not the Japanese ones.

That's what PUSA was aiming for, a continuation of the already established english tones.
I'm not so sure about that.

In the same sentence they mention that PUSA is working to keep the Japanese music, thats an indication to me that they are trying to make it more like the Japanese version.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Mio said:
I'm not so sure about that.

In the same sentence they mention that PUSA is working to keep the Japanese music, thats an indication to me that they are trying to make it more like the Japanese version.

Keeping Japanese music =/= sticking with established english tones.

This is why they went out of their way to re-cast Ash to get someone who sounds closer to Veronica, and why May and Brock's voices are now said to be more like the 4kids ones.

Shift

I'll learn you good!
PDL said:
kind of a shame they decided to replace the new brock with a newer brock (he sounded sincere...)
Just in case you haven't noticed yet, new Brock isn't being replaced by another actor; Bill Rogers is the same guy who voiced Brock in the special and who will be doing so for the new season. You're probably confused since quite a few people thought it was the person called Jamie Peacock (who I strongly believe is really Kayzie Rogers) was a guy who played Brock, but that's not the case. Only Ash was replaced, end of story.

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
Dammit, another pan-&-scan hackjob.

Well, when you really think about all those changes reported, it sounds like the usual routine with 4KIDS & the AG movies. With that said, I hope this movie really does do as well as movie 7 did in the dubbing department. I'll wait for Dogasu's comparison before I decide to buy it or not, but it doesn't look like it'll be too bad.

Still though, is a widescreen presentation too much to ask?

MagicBox

xoBcigaM
intergalactic platypus said:
Do the movies really usually keep original backround music?
Ever since movie 4.

Shift

I'll learn you good!
intergalactic platypus said:
Do the movies really usually keep original backround music? If so, that element isn't as exciting as I thought it was
Yeah, it's been like that since movie 6, so it's not a big deal. It is a big deal that PUSA is keeping the original music in the show, though, since 4Kids has been replacing just about all of it for years.