• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First official PoGO event: a Halloween celebration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychic

Really and truly
The first-ever in-game Pokemon GO event was announced today, and it's Halloween-themed! From October 26 to November 1, get double the Candy for catching, evolving, transferring and hatching Pokemon, plus four times the Candy from your Buddy! Additionally, the Gastly, Zubat and Drowzee lines will appear more frequently!

What do you guys think of this event? What will you be doing to best take advantage of it? Have you already filled out those 7 spots in your Pokedex? Comment away!

~Psychic

whaleyland

It is already Wednesday, 26 October in New Zealand but the event has yet to begin. I've wasted two Professor transfers now checking to see if it worked. And the new update yesterday appears to have lowered the number of Pokémon that are appearing. Normally, I can't go 10 minutes without a Pidgey or Rattata appearing at my current location, but so far I have only seen one Pidgey about 20 minutes ago. Definitely an inauspicious beginning to the game's first event.

I have definitely filled all seven of those spots. Zubat were a dime a dozen when the game first released and I've even caught a number of Golbat, although they are a huge pain to catch and never worth the expense. Gastly have been rarer but I have finished that evolution chain as well. I found a bunch of Drowsey while on vacation a while back so I've also finished that chain. This promotional is mostly just an opportunity for me to get more candies.

Last edited:
I have definitely filled all seven of those spots. Zubat were a dime a dozen when the game first released and I've even caught a number of Golbat, although they are a huge pain to catch and never worth the expense. Gastly have been rarer but I have finished that evolution chain as well. I found a bunch of Drowzee while on vacation a while back so I've also finished that chain. This promotional is mostly just an opportunity for me to get more candies
I'm in the same boat - I've already caught all of the "spooky" Pokémon, so the extra candy is what I'm looking forward to the most (especially the buddy bonus!) I'll definitely be walking around as much as possible during these days to stock up on Snorlax and Dratini candy.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
This sounds pretty awesome and while I already have the Zubat line and Drowzew, I could definitely use this to help me get one step closer to a Hypno along with a Haunter and a Gengar.

The extra candy is also great too. Hopefully there's a Christmas event as well (yes I know most probably wouldn't want to play this in the snow but just something I'd throw out there)!

whaleyland

The update has been live since about noon and one thing that Niantic did not announce but certainly seems the case is that Cubone and Marowak are also FAR more common than before. In fact, I had been walking with a Cubone for a week trying to get enough candies to evolve it but I got enough just today to evolve two Cubone! I guess they figured those two Pokémon, wearing skulls and all, fit in better than even Zubat and Golbat (neither of which I have seen today, oddly enough). Lots of Gastly, Haunter, and Drowsee though!

mr jordaroo

Mudkip Enthusiast
This update is officially amazing! I went out for about 2 hours, and caught enough Cubone to get 2 Marowaks, and enough Gastly candies to get 2 Gengars!

The decreased buddy walking limit is also great, I definitely plan to use the 1.25 km distance to get my fully evolved fossil pokes now.

I really hope they utilise this for other holidays, the question is what though? Gen 1 definitely seems to favour the 'spooky' pokemon. Other than exeggcute/ exeggutor for Easter and the very few ice types for xmas, there aren't that many to make more common...

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Anyone notice we are getting 6 candies instead of 8 for catching? I thought they said double.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Anyone notice we are getting 6 candies instead of 8 for catching? I thought they said double.

It is double. You don't get 4 candies for catching a Pokemon, you get 3. The extra two come from transferring. So just transfer said Pokemon and you'll get those 2 extra candies : )

CunniJA

Ski Patroller
Went from 32 Grimer candy to Muk today. I love the 4x candy on buddies. I've starting walking Dratini now. If I ever get my Dragonite back from the gym it will be time to get him over 3000!

This special is really awesome. I fired up for other specials. I think that if this becomes a monthly thing, it will breathe a lot of new life into the game as it was getting awfully stale for me. Sitting around (or walking around as it were) just hoping against hope for the right two Pokemon to finally hatch (Lapras and Tangela) gets old.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I really hope they utilise this for other holidays, the question is what though? Gen 1 definitely seems to favour the 'spooky' pokemon. Other than exeggcute/ exeggutor for Easter and the very few ice types for xmas, there aren't that many to make more common...

Jynx. Jynx everywhere.

No, but seriously, unless we get a surprise update that includes Gen II, I agree that it's difficult to imagine a Christmas update. At least with Gen II, we've got more Ice-types (including one known for giving out presents) and a reindeer. If we don't get a Gen II update, then maybe we'd end up getting Ice-types and a whole mess of starters and Pikachu as presents from Niantic? /wishful thinking

In the meantime, totally digging this event. I've been walking my Dratini this whole time, but I might rotate it out for the fossils and starters to get some candies for each of 'em. Fully planning on having at least middle-stage starters (and Dragonair) as well as evolved fossils by the end of this event. 8)

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I am super loving this new event I get to catch a boat ton of cubone now which it added to my dex, while having double candy for every pokemon helps to closer evolving and powering up its cp with stardust :3 I have dratini as my buddy which its getting more candy faster now since I just randomly stopped seeing dratinis in my area >.>

XSilverStarboyX

Jynx. Jynx everywhere.

No, but seriously, unless we get a surprise update that includes Gen II, I agree that it's difficult to imagine a Christmas update. At least with Gen II, we've got more Ice-types (including one known for giving out presents) and a reindeer. If we don't get a Gen II update, then maybe we'd end up getting Ice-types and a whole mess of starters and Pikachu as presents from Niantic? /wishful thinking

In the meantime, totally digging this event. I've been walking my Dratini this whole time, but I might rotate it out for the fossils and starters to get some candies for each of 'em. Fully planning on having at least middle-stage starters (and Dragonair) as well as evolved fossils by the end of this event. 8)

I never even thought of that! I have heard for a while we would get Gen 2 in December but I haven't heard any official confirmation;152;

Psychic

Really and truly
The weather has been miserable and I haven't been able to go on walks, but I am loving all of these Cubone, since I had only seen a few until now. I had already registered everything else to my Pokedex; Drowzee are incredibly common here, Zubat are pretty easy to find, and I had evolved two Gengar already (though both are below 1000 CP).

I also love how easy it is to walk my Buddy! I got some candy for my Scyther for fun, and for my Vulpix for evolving. I should really walk my Kabuto and other things that are ridiculously rare, though.

The update has been live since about noon and one thing that Niantic did not announce but certainly seems the case is that Cubone and Marowak are also FAR more common than before. In fact, I had been walking with a Cubone for a week trying to get enough candies to evolve it but I got enough just today to evolve two Cubone! I guess they figured those two Pokémon, wearing skulls and all, fit in better than even Zubat and Golbat (neither of which I have seen today, oddly enough). Lots of Gastly, Haunter, and Drowsee though!
Yes: Cune, Marowak and Meowth are all more common, too! I wonder why this wasn't announced - maybe they wanted it to be a bit of a surprise?

I never even thought of that! I have heard for a while we would get Gen 2 in December but I haven't heard any official confirmation;152;
I dunno, it seems way too early to introduce a new generation, especially when they have so much other stuff they want to implement. Either way, this topic might be better suited to a different thread. :)

~Psychic

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I've got up to almost 300 Ghastly candy. I also managed to catch a Gengar and Dewgong today. It also seems like I'm getting more candy from eggs than usual. I've been walking with Bulbasaur because Venusaur should be able to destroy all the Vaporeon I see around here in gyms.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
The weather has been miserable and I haven't been able to go on walks, but I am loving all of these Cubone, since I had only seen a few until now. I had already registered everything else to my Pokedex; Drowzee are incredibly common here, Zubat are pretty easy to find, and I had evolved two Gengar already (though both are below 1000 CP).

I also love how easy it is to walk my Buddy! I got some candy for my Scyther for fun, and for my Vulpix for evolving. I should really walk my Kabuto and other things that are ridiculously rare, though.

Yes: Cune, Marowak and Meowth are all more common, too! I wonder why this wasn't announced - maybe they wanted it to be a bit of a surprise?

I dunno, it seems way too early to introduce a new generation, especially when they have so much other stuff they want to implement. Either way, this topic might be better suited to a different thread. :)

~Psychic

Yeah, I find it kinda weird that I haven't seen any Zubat since the event started XD But I am loving these Cubone! I now have enough candy to evolve, but I'm holding out because I'll see Marowak's shadow every so often. Other than that, this candy boost has been amazing for the new Abra nest where I walk! I hope there are more events like these in the future!

Sprinter1988

Yeah, I find it kinda weird that I haven't seen any Zubat since the event started XD But I am loving these Cubone! I now have enough candy to evolve, but I'm holding out because I'll see Marowak's shadow every so often. Other than that, this candy boost has been amazing for the new Abra nest where I walk! I hope there are more events like these in the future!

Same here, and Drowzee. One upon a time I would find nothing but Drowzee, Pidgey, Rattata and Weedle, but since this event began there hasn't been a Drowzee in sight!

I've been finding Vulpix a bit more frequently too. It's not a massive increase, but it's definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.