• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First Sprite! (Extremely Noob)

pikario.jpg

It's Pikario, combination of Pikachu and Lucario.
Electric/Fighting type. PS: I started spriting yesterday :d

do you use the actual sprites of pokemon, or draw it from scratch?

I use the actual sprites (Pikachu sprite from Generation III and Lucario sprite from D/P and i put the eyes, arms and feet of Lucario on Pikachu's body) and after that i draw a bit of my own, like his mouth. I also changed all the yellow into blue.

the ash man83

Avid TCG Fan
ok, well i'm no good at giving crit, but i'll try.
first off, NEVER resize any of your sprites. it makes them look horrible, plus they're not shown like that in the games, so why do it outside the games?
secondly, try to use sprites from the same game (such as both black/white sprites, not one emerald and one platinum or whatever.)
hope this helps.

okay, thanks for the advice!

BLABO

♧ yoo ♧
not to be mean, just telling you the truth. Your sprite sucks. I know you just started and all though, so it's fine don't feel down about it. You definitely need to look at all the sprite tutorials first, that's what i did.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
not to be mean, just telling you the truth. Your sprite sucks. I know you just started and all though, so it's fine don't feel down about it. You definitely need to look at all the sprite tutorials first, that's what i did.

Wow. That is greatttt advice.

Listen sweetie, there a few points you gotta know whilst spriting:

1) Never re-size
2) Always save in PNG.

Try to not "color in" the sprite with a brush from paint. It leaves wobbly edges and un-even tones to parts of the pokemon.

Also, try not to copy and paste too much. You can easy edit by adding a few pixels in here and there, so the feet match the same length, and the hands and in the right place.

Keep on practicing though-you did the shading well n_n

-Raiga-

Hooray for the shittiest advice on the planet!

As far the sprite goes, in additon to what others have said, you've actually scratched some of the parts well, which is more than many newbies can say.

Also, even though you will(should) be working in a smaller space now if you followed the others advice, don't limit yourself to the paint tool. The line tool for instance can help you out with stuff like the wobbly line on its tail.

Best of luck!

Bubbacca

Zorua101
if your on paint, use the magnifing glass to soom in, the size should be normal. heres what it should look like:
iaza14517370587200.gif

and i did that fast, so it SUCKS

-Sprite

It's not good, it's not horrible: it's bad. Never resize anything, makes everything a bunch of pixels.
Try to do better next time.

Thanks BLABO, Electricbluewolf, -Raiga- and Bubbacca for all the advice!
I'm recoloring some fire Pokémon now, already made Arcanine and Rapidash kinda Dark/Shadow.

Last edited:
I'm not getting better at all :p
http://i42.*******.com/dcl7m.png
Fire Bulbasaur

Okay, i've just looked at a tutorial and i've gotten a lot better :)

http://i39.*******.com/i2ugir.png
Yeti Slaking

http://i43.*******.com/1z356x0.png
Blue Infernape

Last edited:

Bert

Untitled
Well, your sprites are improving quite fast (thank god, it was necessary too) but there are still some flaws. Well, mainly, this one: do NOT use standard Paint colors. Either make your own or rip them directly from another sprite. On your Slaking the lightest and middle shade of white-blue look fine but the darkest shade burned my eyes (seriously, you're paying my surgery if you ever do that again) so try to go for a less horrible, excruciating color and make the shades match. Your Infernape is a little bit better but the brightest blue shade should be toned down a bit as well.

Other than that, you obviously seem to know where you stand and that's good. Don't get over-ambitious, tutorials are your friend, etc.. Your first two sprites ever weren't even sprites, so going from that these newest two are certainly an improvement. Keep going for it and eventually everything will work out!

That's a good recolour! Simple, yeti ffective. I like it! (See what I did there?)
Low C&C value aside, I lol'd. Good one.

Okay, thanks a lot for the advice! :)

I made a new one:
http://i44.*******.com/14w3d4z.png
Red Feraligatr, based on the red Gyarados