1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

First team in Pearl! Rate him?

Discussion in '4th Gen RMT' started by Sohryu, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

That is my first team in Pearl, and i having a lot of trouble! I don't like training many pokemons at the same time, so i only have 4 pokemons! Rate here? I allready have the 8 badge.
    -------------------------
    Staraptor@Skyplate
    LV41
    Quirky nature
    Ability: intimidate
    Close combat
    Fly
    Quick Attack
    Aerial ace
    Infernape@widelens
    LV52
    Bold nature
    Abilty: Blaze
    Flame Wheel
    Focus Blast
    Fire Blast
    Fire Spin
    Raichu@Magnet
    LV44
    Docile nature
    Ability: Static
    Thunder
    Discharge
    Thunderbolt
    Floatzel@ Splashplate
    LV45
    Hasty nature
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Aqua Jet
    Return
    Surf
    Blizzard
    --------------------------
    i only have these four, and i going to change Floatzel into a Starmie.

2. Bigheaded

Bigheaded King of the Wooper

So the aim is currently to beat the elite 4?

Pokemon changes:
    Slightly worried about the infernape as 3 of his moves are fire, 2 is generally a maximum.
    I would suggest this:
    Infernape@???item
    LV52
    Bold nature
    Abilty: Blaze
    Flame Wheel/flare blitz (lvl 57 needed)
    Focus Blast/Close Combat
    Fire Blast/flamethrower
    earthquake/stone edge

Changing firespin to earthquake would make it so much stronger against all sorts of extra pokemon. I.e Steel types resistant to fighting, Dark types resistant to fighting (i.e drapion in elite 4), fire types themselves (2-3 of these in elite 4).
    Personally i take Close combat over focus blast, but it works "fine" with widelens so feel free to keep focus blast in that slot. The point about close combat is that infernape will outspeed 95% of the elite 4 and you should be aiming to OHKO ~60% of it at least, so a reduction in defense/spD isn't generally a problem.

I wouldnt suggest training anything new up. I think your current squad just needs some levels.
    Only problem i can foresee is beating lucian and beating the garchomp unless your floatzel gets some levels and is able to hit it with blizzard.

If you get infernape/staraptor/floatzel up some levels (perhaps level 55 each), use leppa berries on any move you lose PP on and heal them up with potions, i can see the 3 of them alone beating all of them.
    Your staraptor especially would benefit from learning brave bird at level 49. As it deals HUGE HUGE damage.
    Raichu may come in handy for the champions water type, other than that it's redundant for the elite 4.

You really need to switch up the types your pokemon use though.
    For lets take these two pokemon:
    your raichu, and this raichu:
    Thunderbolt
    Hyper Beam
    Brick Break
    Dig

My raichu can hit 99% of pokemon for at the very least neutral damage. If you pack all lightning attacks then you can't damage all sorts of things.

Sorry for essay, i am really bad for that.
    Hope this is of some help though.

In 1 sentence, your team needs levels and different movepools, not new pokemon.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

Man! I love the Moveset for Raichu! I realy like! Well, i can change, Double team for Hyper beam and Discharge for Dig! Man! What a Raichu xD
    I going to Level up them, right now i am doing this, the problem-for me-its the lacking of pokemon...
    I trying to find a female Sneasel to breed with my Sneasel and raise a Sneasel in lv1.

4. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

[​IMG]
    Timid
    ~Natural Cure
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic/Grass Knot

5. Bigheaded

Wait what?
    Or you mean when you want a new pokemon you train that one singally and never ever use the rest of your team?
    For the REALLY big question is WHY do you need more pokemon? i would presume from your team (i could easily be wrong as it's fully managable) that you haven't beaten the E4 + Champion yet.

I suggest leaving training anything NEW to your team till after you get the national dex (To get this beat the E4 + champion, complete the pokedex - you don't need to catch them, just see them (if you've beaten every trainer in the game including the elite 4, this will already be done!)).
    This is because you can then catch a ditto, which means you don't need to catch males/females of all these pokemon you want to breed, as ditto breeds with nearly anything to produce the other pokemon it is bred with (with 1 or 2 exceptions)
    Also it doesn't matter what level you raise them from! the only thing which matters is the moves, IV's and EV's. I hope this doesn't count as advertising but this link is the best i've found to describe EV's IV's and Natures in DPP: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/244...-guide-evs-ivs-natures-september-6th-edit/#11
    So if you want a REALLY strong sneasel/Weavile (sneasels evolution), you will probably need to breed ~60 of them at the very least! and even then you'll probably not get the nature you want.
    I've probably bred ~50 growlithes and i'm still unhappy with the result and i dont think i'm being as picky as other players are!

To me the only reasons to want a new pokemon:
    1. For use in the Battle Tower.
    2. For use against other players.
    3. For fun.
    4. As a slow method to make your team stronger (increasing the level of your current pokemon is 90% of the time better, the 10% applies mostly to legendary pokemon)

6. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

Don't worry! I just trying to catch a Sneasel because of the time it takes to obtain a National dex, and i don't fight with all trainers, i don't like it! I catch a female Sneasel and put the two in the Day care, when i end up the E4...ta dam! I have a LV1 Sneasel! I like raising pokemon by its first level. First, i going to defeat the E4, after i gonna raise Sneasel understand? And my Raichu are with the same moveset as you post. A question: what is good place for LV up my pokemons?

7. Bigheaded

Personally i use the elite 4 ;)

Other than that, anywhere on the island you reach after you get the national dex.

For excluding the two places above:
    Route 223: Fight the trainers again using the Vs.Seeker
    I'm 90% sure that you get more exp fighting trainers than wild pokemon, but the wild pokemons from 223 to the pokemon league are the strongest you can find, other than the island mentioned above.

To be honest, i wouldn't use anywhere other than these.

8. Aura Sensei™

Aura Sensei™ User Title

Hyper Beam sucks.

Infernapr Adamant/Jolly Nature
    ~Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
    ~Close Combat
    ~Mach Punch/Thunderpunch
    ~Earthquake/Stone Edge

Floatzel Adamant/Jolly Nature
    ~Waterfall
    ~Ice Fang/Ice Punch
    ~Brick Break
    ~Crunch

Hope I helped.

9. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

Salamence, hyper beam don't are that bad. Its just for defeating some pokemon that Raichu cant normally defeat. About your moveset, indeed is good! But, how Infernape can learn some of moves in the end?

10. Bigheaded

Lets start at serebii: http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml
    Search using their search tool for the pokemon you wish to look at, in this case infernape: voila: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/392.shtml (make sure you get the one which has DP after pokedex- (diamond/pearl)

So mach punch could have been learned at an earlier level, so you can go to the move tutor (presuming you have a heart scale, if you don't have one, you need to go underground and go digging to get one, you don't need an internet connection to go underground even though it asks) and get it.
    The reason he chose this move is that is has "priority" so that when a pokemon is in the red, you can make 99% sure that your attack goes first.

For thunderpunch, it's a HG/SS/Plat move tutor attack, this means the pokemon needs to be transferred to a player who has that game, then have the move added then transferred back. A bit of a pain really.

I chose hyper beam partly as it is CHEAP. it can be easily purchased and replaced if needed.
    Great for killing annoying pokemon in 1 hit, or for finishing the last pokemon in the trainer your fightings squad.

I would agree that there are better moves out there though ;)
    I will be honest, i was using that Raichu set as an example and spent ~1 minute thinking about it.

11. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

Sorry for the triple post people, i allready delete the posts xD
    Bigheaded, its hard for me to find some heart scales, and change pokemon, i am without wi-fi and only have one DS it sucks!

12. Shine

Shine Psyched Up Staff Member Moderator

A better Raichu moveset would be the one that foxyman posted above there.

Dig takes two turns, and Hyper Beam is just useless.

Infernape
    Hasty/Naive Nature
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Close Combat
    ~Grass Knot
    ~Nasty Plot

Fight-Types do not needs Earthquake, because Fight has similar coverage with Ground. This is also another reason why having both Dig and Brick Break on Raichu is pointless.
    And you'll only need 1 Fire move.

13. 02939

02939 Missingno

Firstly, I would say get a fourth move for Raichu. I would also replace thunder and discharge, because thunder isn't reliable when you really need a hit, and discharge is somewhat redundant. My advice would be,
    Thunderbolt
    quick attack
    Thunder wave/double team
    brick break

Better coverage and some security, too. (Yes, I know that thunder wave and double team both eventually rely on luck.)

Infernape.

focus blast
    Flamethower
    thunderpunch
    grass knot (for when Cynthia switches on you and you don't feel like switching)

or

Close combat
    Fire punch
    Thunder punch
    Grass knot.

Everyone, please note that I am not giving suggestions for competitive battling, I am giving suggestions for battling trainers that use 99% sheer force.

14. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

So Staraptor are good? He learned Brave Bird right now, so it don't need big changes right?
    Raichu won't learn any moves, so i can teach a Brick Break easily! I gonna look a little more until i find the TM. Infernape, i can take it out Fire blast, since its accuracy are worse, but Flame thrower will deal a good damage? Earthquake....
    I can take it out, Fire spin.
    Focus Blast, with Wide lens, it can hit right? So, please, say that i can stay with this move T.T
    Floatzel, change Blizzard with Ice beam, maybe its not a bad idea, right?
    Well, after the E4, i gonna put two more pokemons, maybe a Haunter with
    Haunter
    -Dream eater
    -Hypnosis
    -Shadow ball
    -Psychic
    And a question, its have too many Dragon types, i think in Dragonite or Gyarados, what is a good Dragon type for me to use? Gratefull!

15. Shine

Gengar
    Modest/Timid Nature
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb
    ~Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb

Psychic's coverage isn't that good (then again, so does Poison, but at least Sludge Bomb gets STAB) while Dream Eater is unreliable.

16. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

I cant have a Gengar T.T
    I going to change dream eater, its became a bad TM in this generation.
    Thunder bolt? Maybe, indeed its a good idea! Focus blast, its don't have to much accuracy, its a good idea?

17. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

Infernape should be used more wisely, I suggest you look into a fighting move maybe this will suit him better?

Flame Wheel
    Mach Punch OR Close Combat-Pwns rock (its weakness)
    Grass Knot or Thunder Punch-Takes out Water
    Stone Edge

I suggest putting him more to use, Infernape is a great Pokemon that can defeat al his weaknesses. Only his Defense and Sp. Defense Stats are bad. If you dont only work with starters for your team I reccomend another Fire Type if you want more of a wall. However Infernape serves a great deal in the sense that he has a wide movepool.

18. Shine

Same moveset can be used, except for Focus Blast, Haunter can't learn it.

So you don't have to worry about its accuracy since Haunter can't even learn the move :p

19. Aura Sensei™

Aura Sensei™ User Title

Rock isn't one of Infernape's weaknesses.:(And use Fire Punch/Flare Blitz>Flame Wheel.

20. Sohryu

Sohryu Be a Man!

I make the changes, and now i am fully understand why Infernape needs a variety moveset, here are my Currently team.
    Staraptor
    Close combat
    Brave Bird
    Quick attack
    Fly
    no changes here.
    Raichu
    Brick break
    Iron tail
    Thunder bolt
    Dig
    Maybe change Dig by another move, i don't know what TM may i choose.
    Floatzel
    Maybe a Ice Floatzel? With the following moves
    Ice beam/it allready learned
    Ice fang/heart scales needed?
    Waterfall
    Return.
    Infernape
    Gonna made big changes!
    Mach Punch
    Grass knot
    Flame thrower
    ??????/what move should i use here?
    Haunter
    Sludge bomb
    Psychic/change to energy ball? Give a move please?
    Dark pulse
    Shadow ball.
    Gabite/Garchomp
    Flame thrower
    Earthquake
    Dragon claw.
    How are my team? Ops: gonna made changes okay?
    Stone edge