• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First Team: OU Baton

Espehoot

Baton Pass team my friend helped me make. You might guess my favorite pokemon is Eevee, and you'd be right. I asked for a team with Umbreon, Espeon, and Metagross and this is what we have now.

front.png

Umbreon: Leftovers + Synchronize
Careful (+SpD -SpA)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

~ Mean Look
~ Baton Pass
~ Curse
~ Toxic

Seeing as Umbreon doesn't really belong here, I try to lead with him. Setting up Mean Look to trap any switch ins and move on to the next Baton Passer if Umbreon goes down, if not then Curse or Toxic into Baton Pass.

front.png

Espeon: Leftovers + Magic Bounce
Timid (+Spe - Atk)
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

~ Baton Pass
~ Calm Mind
~ Stored Power
~ Hidden Power Fighting

A link in the chain, maybe one of the later ones if I think I might need Stored Power to start taking out threats before switching into a receiver.

front.png

Vaporeon: Leftovers + Water Absorb
Bold (+Def -Atk)
244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Spe

~ Baton Pass
~ Substitute
~ Work Up
~ Scald

This happened on accident. Vaporeon was here in the tier and fit the team so he got thrown in. Work Up for set up the chain and Substitute for when I worry about then next link. We talked about running Haze over Scald, but I don't like the idea of of not having a way to damage on any pokemon. I'm not that comfortable yet.

front.png

Gliscor: Toxic Orb + Poison Heal
Impish (+Def -SpA)
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

~ Substitute
~ Baton Pass
~ Agility
~ Taunt

While Taunt is meant to provide some protection and help me wall if Mean Look isn't set up right, his Agility is why he is here. Helping to recoup the possible loss of Curse from Umbreon and help a receiver dish out their damage faster.

front.png

Salamence: Expert Belt + Moxie
Rash (+SpA -SpD)
100 Atk / 176 SpA / 232 Spe

~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch

A receiver of the chain, Expert Belt and Moxie, plus the mix, help deal damage and keep it coming in droves. Crunch is for Cresselia and Bronzong in the rain. Skarmory in the rain is the only thing that really scares me. That or a miss.

front.png

Metagross: Occa Berry + Clear Body
Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunder Punch

The other receiver, this set was picked because Pursuit doesn't become an issue when you start sweeping. We were hoping the Bolt/Beam Punch would be a decent substitute. A great partner to Salamence in the aspect of coverage, Metagross can usually handle his own in a fight. This pair of receivers was picked in case the chain breaks and things goe south.

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. Please rate fairly now. ;)

Last edited:

[Kingdra]

Generally the best way to get the Baton Pass train rolling is this guy:

235.gif

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
~ Baton Pass
~ Shift Gear / Quiver Dance / Shell Smash
~ Spore
~ Substitute

Espehoot

[Kingdra];14988036 said:
Generally the best way to get the Baton Pass train rolling is this guy:

235.gif

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
~ Baton Pass
~ Shift Gear / Quiver Dance / Shell Smash
~ Spore
~ Substitute

Thanks for the response! Who would Smeargle replace? I know he's generally the first leg of the race, and Gorebyss and Hunttail factor in as well, but this is my first team. I don't know where to put him in. I'm open to losing Umbreon, but can you give me more information please?

[Kingdra]

Yeah over Umbreon, Cursing generally isn't the best idea unless you plan on tanking. With Metagross and Salamence though you should be focused on getting them as fast and strong as possible so they can tear through your opponents team.

Xenevix

Some Guy
I'd agree that replacing Umbreon with Smeargle would be the best replacement. But then you lose defensive boosts. I suggest you then change Work Up on Vaporeon for Acid Armor so that your sweepers, Salamence especially, aren't as vulnerable to powerful priority moves; i.e. banded Mamoswine's Ice Shard. This would also lead to using Shell Smash on your Smeargle seeing as it can go to both Metagross and Salamence. As Shift Gear would go to Metagross most likely and Quiver Dance to Salamence seeing as Metagross has no special moves. Then that would lead to changing the (I think those are speed EV's. "Spe?") Speed EV's on Vaporeon to Special Defense so it becomes as bulky as possible. Moreover, put Zen Headbutt over Thunderpunch on Metagross. It gets STAB, kills fighting types, and you already have flyers covered. The most prevalent waters (Swampert, Gastrodon, and Quagsire) are immune to electric and Politoed has minimal physical bulk. Also Tentacruel really gets wrecked by it.

Now personally I would change Salamence's ability to Intimidate just in case you can't get a defensive boost from Vaporeon and it just makes him overall harder to take down. And Moxie only raises physical attack; Crunch and EQ's power.

Last edited: