• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First Team

mparr65

So to start this off, I'm new to competitive Pokemon. I've been playing since I was a kid but never really got into anything like this until B/W came out so reasoning on pokemon choices might not always be the best. :p

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 SpD, 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Nature: Modest
- move: Sunny Day
- move: Solarbeam
- move: Fireblast
- move: Will-o-wisp

So I decided to start a Sunny Day team because fire's always been my favorite type. Charizard :) So naturally I have to start with Drought.​

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Nature: Modest
- move: Growth
- move: Solarbeam
- move: Earthquake
- move: Sludge Bomb

When first deciding on this team I realized water pokemon wouldn't be fun, and hearing about Chlorophyll on Venusaur I wanted to give him a shot. Growth thrown in to make some pretty STAB Solarbeams :) Earthquake and STAB Sludge Bomb used to help team have a slightly better overall coverage​

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP, 216 Def, 52 Speed
Nature: Bold
- move: Quiver Dance
- move: Fiery Dance
- move: Bug Buzz
- move: Morning Sun

Next choice was Volcarona. Seemed like a very interesting choice, added more coverage with the added Bug type, and chose to go a little bulky and use morning sun to set up with Quiver Dance.​

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 SpA, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Nature: Naive
- move: Overheat
- move: Close Combat
- move: U-turn
- move: Stone Edge

Infernape is a Semi-mixed sweeper more focusing on physical though. Close Combat to help with pesky Special walls (the cursed Blisseys and Chanseys) with Stone Edge to help with flying mostly.​

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def, 252 HP, 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- move: Wish
- move: Roar
- move: Dragon Pulse
- move: Reflect

Latias chosen mostly for wish. I thought wish was going to come in handy in trying to keep my ninetales up. Not fun if that goes down. Also decided to bring in reflect for a team seeming to lack in defense, especially things like Infernape. Dragon Pulse for a nice STAB for dragons that may otherwise prove difficult to handle, with all the fire on the team. Roar was chosen to help with game control and spikes.​

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 176 Def, 252 HP, 80 Speed
Nature: Relaxed
- move: Explosion
- move: Spikes
- move: Rapid Spin
- move: Volt Switch

Finally a little bit of Defense. Thought some form of physical wall was needed because the rest of the team can't take too many hits. Loved Forretress for the fact that it can spike and spin and has pretty good defensive stats. Pretty sure everyone here knows the reasoning on the bottom three moves :p But for Explosion, didn't know if that or toxic spikes is better, thoughts?​

Haven't faced anyone yet :( Wanted to get a team set up before I run around getting owned. Really appreciate any comments or help of any sort. Looking forward to possibly playing some of you guys sometime :)

Darkrai1117

Fear the night...
Ok, first major rate of your team. Not bad, but could be a lot better.

To begin with, Ninetales usually wants more defensive EV's than that, especially if you want a chance to pull off a weather changing Sunny Day or a crippling Will'o'Wisp. Leftovers, as an item is good, but Air Balloon can help it with switching in on Ground moves. Also Grass+Fire doesn't give great coverage, so consider trying a Hidden Power Ice/Fighting in place of maybe Will'o'Wisp if you want it as a sweeping role.

I can see what you are trying to do with Venusaur with the Mixed attacker role. However your Nature should be something like Mild (+SpAtt/-Def) or Rash (+SpAtt/-SpDef) if you want the Special Attack boost. Also I would try IV's with a 172Att/140SpAtt/196Speed to maximize your range of Attack power. The moveset itself is alright, although HP Ice would improve coverage compared to Sludge Bomb. Also you need to be careful of a weather switch-in when you are using SolarBeam, so just warning you.

Volcarona is good, but if you have access to BW2 move tutors, Roost is a more reliable option than Morning Sun, as weather does not affect it and it has higher PP. Also need to be careful of Stealth Rocks, as 1/2 HP gone every switch kills it off quickly.

Infernape once again is good, not much to comment on that.

On Latias, you can probably drop some Speed Ev's, as you don't specifically need to outspeed anything, and Roar has negative priority anyway so you don't need any for that. And with only base 90 Defense, before you get Reflect up you may need a bit more of a physical buff.

Forretress' main job as far as I can see is to Rapid Spin, set up Rocks, then Explode. I would consider putting Stealth Rocks on there somewhere, as they can shut down opposition Volcarona and Charizard.

Your team, at the moment, has a severe weakness to Flying and Water. The Water is negated somewhat by the Sun, however you need to be cautious of both. Also there is little that you can do against Physical Walls, specifically Gliscor who obtained Roost-Toxic Heal with BW2, as well as Stealth Rocks.

Anyway, take any advice you want, but there are holes in your team.

FirstRate

Your team is fairly good, but some of your choices can be improved on.

Ninetales needs a little bit of bulk to function well, so i suggest a spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe. With the HP, you lose the OHKO from Scald in the rain.

For Venusaur I want to suggest a Mixed Set with Growth / Seed Bomb / Earthquake / Hidden Power Fire and a spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe with a Lonely nature. Vensaur can set up fairly easily and just plow through teams with its great coverage.

Infernape and Volcarona look good. Nice job!

I wouldn't use Latias for a wish passer, mostly because there are so many other pokemon that can do it better. So i would suggest switching Latias for Blissey

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Trait: Natural Cure
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
Wish
Protect
Toxic / Thunder Wave
Seismic Toss / Flamethrower

Blissey's enormous HP lets her pass huge amounts to your sweepers, guaranteed to heal them completely. Plus, her special bulk makes her a great partner for Forretress.

Forretress doesn't really need any Speed because it's already too slow. Plus, you're using a negative nature anyway, so it's a little redundant. A max HP max Defense spread is more efficient, or you could transfer the Speed EVs into Special Defense to take weak special hits.

I hope I helped you! Good luck with your team!

mparr65

Thanks guys, and First Rate, for the Blissey I have no way of getting wish on it legitimately which was why I chose Latias. Any other ideas for replacing Latias?

FirstRate

Thanks guys, and First Rate, for the Blissey I have no way of getting wish on it legitimately which was why I chose Latias. Any other ideas for replacing Latias?

Your best option at this point would probably be Vaporeon. It's HP is tremendous and has a decent Special Defense for tanking Special hits. It also has Water Absorb which gives you an immunity to Water.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Trait: Water Absorb
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Wish
Protect
Scald / Surf
Toxic / Roar / Ice Beam

Last edited:

mparr65

Your best option at this point would probably be Vaporeon. It's HP is tremedous and has a decent Special Defense for tanking Special hits. It also has Water Absorb which gives you an immunity to Water.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Wish
Protect
Scald / Surf
Toxic / Roar / Ice Beam

All right I'll give that a shot. Thanks

mparr65

Your best option at this point would probably be Vaporeon. It's HP is tremedous and has a decent Special Defense for tanking Special hits. It also has Water Absorb which gives you an immunity to Water.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Wish
Protect
Scald / Surf
Toxic / Roar / Ice Beam

All right I'll give that a shot. Thanks