• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First time building a White 2 team. I need an amazing one.

Phaek

So I'm confused as to what I should choose for my team in White 2.
I'm mainly going to use it for storyline play and Battle Subway, so what would you suggest I pick up?
I've thought about Pokémon like Blaziken, Magmortar, Chandelure, Electivire, Salamence, Excadrill, Jellicent, Ferrothorn and such (please come with other suggestions for powerful Pokémon, if you have any), but I have no clue what to pick. Also, I'd like to have every type covered.

Now before you go all "storyline teams don't matter" on me, I am a type of person that likes min/maxing when I play games like this; that's what I find fun. So I'd be breeding these Pokémon to have the right nature, IVs, getting the right EVs and so on and then leveling them.

Do you guys have any suggestions for my team? :)

Last edited:

Luxvan

Mozilla Fennekin
Well, starter-wise, I chose Samurott, though that's due to already having Serperior. I liked using Serperior better, though, Coil+Dragon Tail was pretty nice. And he's rather bulky with a good speed stat.
Specifically for this game's story, I spent an hour looking for a Riolu, but having Lucario is worth the time. Also got Growlithe, because Arcanine is a great stats all across the board, and can get access to Flare Blitz and Extremespeed. Then I also spent a good amount of time looking for an Eevee and got my choice of starter; Jolteon is alright, though it takes a while to get him the moves you need. After that, it was more of a toss-up, and I just got an unexpected Zorua from an NPC and ultimately decided Crobat would be good to be a flyer, and his speed is phenominal with solid attack to help. Kinda like Jolteon, though, takes a bit to get the moves you want.
Em yeah, know this was more of a 'I did this and came out okay' post, but hope it gave at least a couple ideas.

Phaek

Well, starter-wise, I chose Samurott, though that's due to already having Serperior. I liked using Serperior better, though, Coil+Dragon Tail was pretty nice. And he's rather bulky with a good speed stat.
Specifically for this game's story, I spent an hour looking for a Riolu, but having Lucario is worth the time. Also got Growlithe, because Arcanine is a great stats all across the board, and can get access to Flare Blitz and Extremespeed. Then I also spent a good amount of time looking for an Eevee and got my choice of starter; Jolteon is alright, though it takes a while to get him the moves you need. After that, it was more of a toss-up, and I just got an unexpected Zorua from an NPC and ultimately decided Crobat would be good to be a flyer, and his speed is phenominal with solid attack to help. Kinda like Jolteon, though, takes a bit to get the moves you want.
Em yeah, know this was more of a 'I did this and came out okay' post, but hope it gave at least a couple ideas.

Thank you very much for replying!

First of all, I've come to believe that the starters usually aren't the best of choices when making your team; there's simply other, better Pokémon. At least this is what I've understood from what I've read looking around on the internet.
Second, I suppose Arcanine is a really good Pokémon, and I've read that much about it as well, so I'll definitely consider that one. Lucario I've also heard a lot good about actually, but I just don't know about that one; it just doesn't feel right to me.
The rest of your Pokémon seem decent but not what I'm looking for, I'm afraid. I guess I'll just have to wait for more opinions on this one :)

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
Electivire is also a phenomenal Pokemon. I used it in my own White 2, and it certainly didn't let me down. It has great sweeping stats, and a wide variety of moves at its disposal. Definitely consider it if you want an Electric type.

Phaek

Okay so I've thought about a team. What would you guys say about this:

Ferrothorn
Excadrill
Arcanine
Salamence
Jellicent
Electivire

Am I missing something?

Arlo

...and so on...
Okay so I've thought about a team. What would you guys say about this:

Ferrothorn
Excadrill
Arcanine
Salamence
Jellicent
Electivire

Am I missing something?
That looks like a pretty solid team to me, though with one potential problem.

The trick is simply to run through the type list and consider facing something of each type, then make sure that you've got at least one (and preferably two) pokemon that can hit it super-effectively and no more than two that are weak to its attacks. The only problem in that sense that I see is Grounds - Excadrill, Arcanine and Electivire are all weak to them, and Ferrothorn is only neutral. Salamence is immune, but probably won't have a good counter move, so your only solid counter to them would be Jellicent, and that'll be dangerous if you're facing something like Golurk or Krookodile, since their secondary STABs are SE against Jellicent. Ferrothorn can potentially tank their hits and does have Power Whip, which should make short order of them, but that's it for your choices - Jellicent or Ferrothorn (or chipping away at them with a non-STAB attack from Salamence, who's conveniently immune to Ground but can be hurt pretty badly by the Rock attacks that many Grounds carry). You might make it through fine, but it is a bit risky to have that narrow of a range of choices. But aside from that, you seem to have everything pretty well covered. I'd sort of like to see a Bug or Dark in there to handle Psychics better, but many of the ones you have can learn good moves that'll cover that, so it should be fine. Grounds are the only thing that give me pause.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋

The trick is simply to run through the type list and consider facing something of each type, then make sure that you've got at least one (and preferably two) pokemon that can hit it super-effectively and no more than two that are weak to its attacks. The only problem in that sense that I see is Grounds - Excadrill, Arcanine and Electivire are all weak to them, and Ferrothorn is only neutral. Salamence is immune, but probably won't have a good counter move, so your only solid counter to them would be Jellicent, and that'll be dangerous if you're facing something like Golurk or Krookodile, since their secondary STABs are SE against Jellicent. Ferrothorn can potentially tank their hits and does have Power Whip, which should make short order of them, but that's it for your choices - Jellicent or Ferrothorn (or chipping away at them with a non-STAB attack from Salamence, who's conveniently immune to Ground but can be hurt pretty badly by the Rock attacks that many Grounds carry). You might make it through fine, but it is a bit risky to have that narrow of a range of choices. But aside from that, you seem to have everything pretty well covered. I'd sort of like to see a Bug or Dark in there to handle Psychics better, but many of the ones you have can learn good moves that'll cover that, so it should be fine. Grounds are the only thing that give me pause.

I see what you're saying, but I think he should be fine. Salamence has a wide variety of moves at its disposal and could definitely have an Ice or Water move on it in case Jellicent gets knocked out.

Phaek

See that's why I'm looking for opinions regarding team composition. I've only recently (last week) bought myself a Nintendo 3DS XL and Pokemon White 2. I'm new to literally everything, having only played Pokemon when I was quite a bit younger and back then I didn't really make myself a good, balanced team.
All I know is that I'd probably want to have Salamence on my team.

Edit: What do you think of this team? I need a sixth though.

Electivire
Lucario
Chandelure
Salamence
Starmie

Would a Scizor be a good idea?

Last edited:

EkwEE

Asha'man M'Hael
Just play the game. You obviously have no idea of the time or pokedollars it takes to breed a nearly flawless egg with really good IVs, training out EVs before post game content. You literally will not be able to do it. And you'll spend dozens of hours doing so. Nor will you have the shards or pokemon necessary to move tutor/ breed movepools for a "competitive" team Ingame, before you beat the elite four unless you want to spend 10x's the amount of time it would take me. You're idea is not only stupid, it plain won't work.

Phaek

Just play the game. You obviously have no idea of the time or pokedollars it takes to breed a nearly flawless egg with really good IVs, training out EVs before post game content. You literally will not be able to do it. And you'll spend dozens of hours doing so. Nor will you have the shards or pokemon necessary to move tutor/ breed movepools for a "competitive" team Ingame, before you beat the elite four unless you want to spend 10x's the amount of time it would take me. You're idea is not only stupid, it plain won't work.

I'm not sure where all that offence is coming from really. You seem like a very angry person for no reason.
I've read quite a bit about breeding and since I'm fairly good at picking that stuff up quickly, I've bred quite a few Pokemon already with as close to perfect IVs as I'll get when hatching a max of say 20 or so eggs. So far I've got good results (read: Scyther and Scraggy. I've got an Elekid as well but I forgot to tie it to my account).
Training EVs isn't all that hard either, so I've no clue as to why you're being a total **** towards me - you must think I'm capable of doing absolutely nothing. I'm not a mentally inept infant for Gods sake.

Stay classy EkwEE and seek help regarding your anger management problem before it gets out of hand.

EkwEE

Asha'man M'Hael
I'm not sure where all that offence is coming from really. You seem like a very angry person for no reason.
I've read quite a bit about breeding and since I'm fairly good at picking that stuff up quickly, I've bred quite a few Pokemon already with as close to perfect IVs as I'll get when hatching a max of say 20 or so eggs. So far I've got good results (read: Scyther and Scraggy. I've got an Elekid as well but I forgot to tie it to my account).
Training EVs isn't all that hard either, so I've no clue as to why you're being a total **** towards me - you must think I'm capable of doing absolutely nothing. I'm not a mentally inept infant for Gods sake.

Stay classy EkwEE and seek help regarding your anger management problem before it gets out of hand.
Anger? Lawl. No, there is no anger here. The idea is just stupid. Play the game to have fun, worry about competitive after.

3est

Hey, I'm not super pro, but I used Magnezone in White 2 and found it really good for defense and sp. atk. It also has Sturdy which saved me many times. I guess the only problem is like someone said about ground weakness, but you should consider Magnezone.

edit: I see you want to use chandelure and you should DEFINITELY keep it in, its special attacks destroy everything

Phaek

Anger? Lawl. No, there is no anger here. The idea is just stupid. Play the game to have fun, worry about competitive after.

You framed me as a huge noob; while I may be new to the newer Pokemon games, you used it derogatively I felt.
I seriously do not see why the idea is so 'stupid' as you put it out to be? I like min/maxing in the games I play, that's how I'm having fun - who are you to tell me otherwise?

And to be honest, I never said I would use this team in the competitive scene, I merely wished for opinions on an all-around team of very strong Pokemon.

Hey, I'm not super pro, but I used Magnezone in White 2 and found it really good for defense and sp. atk. It also has Sturdy which saved me many times. I guess the only problem is like someone said about ground weakness, but you should consider Magnezone.

edit: I see you want to use chandelure and you should DEFINITELY keep it in, its special attacks destroy everything

Thank you for the reply!
Actually I've already made my team, which consists of:

- Scrafty
- Electivire
- Scizor
- Chandelure
- Salamence
- Starmie

I believe this team is very strong :)