• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

First time EV training

Azure Flame

Alright, I finally got around to reading the guide to EV training and now I understand it a bit. I've finally made a team with fully EV trained level 100's Some of them I may have screwed up on, though. I'm not really sure about the IV's, but I used the IV calculator on the main site. Staraptor was the only one whom I checked it's IV's out before finishing the EV training.

;398;
Staraptor @ Shell Bell
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 3 HP, 252 Attack, 255 Speed (for the speed, I accidentally brought it up to this and I didn't really wanna bring it back down to 100 with a berry and do it all over again)
IVs: 20, 22, 1, 14, 8, 5
- Close Combat
- Fly (thinking about dumping this for something else, not sure what)
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

My main speedy attacker. I checked it out after I maxed out it's speed EV's and saw it had 22 attack IV's as the highest so I decided to work with that. I chose Roost since it heals the user by half it's max HP, which is always good as well as a shell bell to heal whenever it lands a hit.

;405;
Luxray @ Magnet
Ability: Rivalry
Nature: Mild
EVs: 120 HP, 252 Attack, 6 Defense, 6 Sp Attack, 6 Sp Defense, 120 Speed
IVs: 5, 27, 25, 28, 17, 2
- Thunder
- Crunch
- Thunder Fang
- Rain Dance

He's my main attacker with equal speed and HP EV's. I put Rain Dance in there to boost Thunder's accuracy and power. It had Thunder Fang when it hatched, so I decided to keep it since it's somewhat decent IMO. And I added Crunch for a Dark type move. Magnet is there to boost it's electric attacks further.

;257;
Blaziken @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Hardy
EVs: 109 HP, 120 Attack, 30 Defense, 101 Sp Attack, 30 Sp Defense, 120 Speed
IVs: 8, 12, 23, 1, 26, 18
- SolarBeam
- Blaze Kick
- Sky Uppercut
- Aerial Ace

He's my fire/fighting type attacker with SolarBeam for the water types. I'm thinking about getting rid of Aerial Ace and replacing it with Sunny Day, but I'm not sure. Charcoal to boost Blaze Kick.

;009;
Blaziken @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Brave
EVs: 100 HP, 33 Attack, 32 Defense, 252 Sp Attack, 31 Sp Defense, 62 Speed
IVs: 27, 29, 24, 27, 26, 12
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Flash Cannon
- Bite

He's my water Special Attacker with Mystic Water to boost his water attacks. Hydro Pump and Surf because they are the strongest water types besides Hydro Cannon. Bite for added darkness. And Flash Cannon was just to mix it up a little and pretty decent.

;389;
Torterra @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Serious
EVs: 100 HP, 100 Attack, 50 Defense, 102 Sp Attack, 50 Sp Defense, 108 Speed
IVs: 24, 29, 25, 28, 1, 26
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Giga Drain

My first EV experiment, mainly for Speed and Sp Attack. Leaf Storm because it's a great Grass attack. EQ is same as Leaf Storm except for ground. Crunch for more darkness and Giga Drain for HP stealing.

;143;
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
Nature: Brave
EVs: 100 HP, 60 Attack, 100 Defense, 50 Sp Attack, 100 Sp Defense, 100 Speed
IVs: 7, 13, 26, 1, 17, 16
- Focus Blast
- Crunch
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

My second experiment. I got a little confused and may have gotten the EV's wrong. He was meant to be like a wall with good HP, Defense, and Special Defense, with a little Speed thrown in, but I started using the Medicine to raise them up and got a bit confused, for some reason thinking they could only have 100 EV's in each spot. But I realized I was wrong too late. Anyway, Focus Blast for a strong fighting type attack and Crunch for dark. Rest and Sleep Talk are for when it's low on health, I'll heal it with Rest and then Sleep Talk while resting to use the other two attacks. I might EV train a Happiny into a Blissy and replace him.

Anyway, here's my first EV team for Competitive Battles. Let me know what you think!

Azure Flame

All the items and natures are bad, except Snorlax.

I reccomend you visit www.smogon.com to find better EV spreads, moves, and natures

Okay. I didn't really understand Natures and I just wanted to try out EV training first. Although I did catch a Docile/Mischevious Happiny and a Lax/Good perserverance Happiny that I'm thinking about EV training. But I will check that site out.

Saberu

A defensive blaziken won't survive long, no matter how many EVs you have in anything.
I think this one would be better as a purely physical attacker, seeing its special attack IV. =/

Tyranitarphantom

seems so familiar...
Something I forgot to note, having 2 moves of the same type on 1 Pokémon is redundant. Replace Staraptor's Fly for Return, and give Luxray the Fangs if you can. As I said before, Smogon will help you out a lot more than we will

Azure Flame

A defensive blaziken won't survive long, no matter how many EVs you have in anything.
I think this one would be better as a purely physical attacker, seeing its special attack IV. =/

Well, I didn't think of IV's until Staraptor, which was the last one I did. Also, if you look at Blaziken's EV's and what I said about him, you'd see I trained him for Physical attacking. I just wanted EV's for each stat for all of them until I reached Staraptor. Also, not sure if it makes a difference but, I hatched them all and raised them from lvl 1.

Something I forgot to note, having 2 moves of the same type on 1 Pokémon is redundant. Replace Staraptor's Fly for Return, and give Luxray the Fangs if you can. As I said before, Smogon will help you out a lot more than we will

Okay. I was thinking about getting rid of Fly anyways. I only used it to get around during training.

Mega Typhlosion

Visit Smogon and take a look at other UU teams here, as they may have some srategies you like.

About the training and movesets, you need to have a strategy on each Pokémon as well as a general one for the whole team. For example, Rain Dance on Luxray doesn't boost Thunder's power, only its accuracy, and will have a negative effect on your Blaziken (by making it even more weak to Water and reducing its Fire-type moves' power as well as completely shuting down Solarbeam).

About the items...Mystic Water, Charcoal, and so on are not good items because they only boost one move. Using Expert Belt, Muscle Band, Wise Glasses, Choice Items, Life Orb is much better.

But you're new to this, so take a look at Smogon so you can learn more about each Pokémon.

Remember, every Pokémon has its strengths, it's up to the trainer to take advantage of those ;)

ThomBom(Pearl Fan)

Pro Pizza Eater
Alright, I finally got around to reading the guide to EV training and now I understand it a bit. I've finally made a team with fully EV trained level 100's Some of them I may have screwed up on, though. I'm not really sure about the IV's, but I used the IV calculator on the main site. Staraptor was the only one whom I checked it's IV's out before finishing the EV training.

;398;
Staraptor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed (I know it's stupid to do it over again, but it's competive battling and you have to put some offers ;) )[/b]
IVs: 20, 22, 1, 14, 8, 5
- Close Combat
- Return
- Aerial Ace
- U-Turn

Aerial Ace for STAB and CC gives good coverage, Return hits hard and another STAB and U-Turn to switch out with some and negotes the effect of opponent Focus Sash

;405;
Luxray @ Choice Band
Ability: Rivalry
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
IVs: 5, 27, 25, 28, 17, 2
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Thunder Fang
- Return

Max attack/Speed your choice, Choice Band gives some extra power, T-Fang for STAB, Crunch and Ice Fang for type Coverage, Return hits also hard, you don't need Rain Dance, it weakens the powers of Blaziken.

;257;
Blaziken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Mild
EVs: 212 Spe, 76 Attack, 220 SAtk
IVs: 8, 12, 23, 1, 26, 18
- Superpower
- Overheat
- HP [Ice]
- T-Punch

Mixed Choice Scarfer, Choice Scarf gives it a lot of speed, Super Power OHKO's Blissey and does a lot of damage to much other poké's
Overheat for STAB and great damage
HP [Ice] OHKO's most Salamence's and deals much damage to Gliscor.
T-Punch for coverage

;009;
Blastoise @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Modest
EVs: 64 HP, 252 Sp Attack, 216 Speed
IVs: 27, 29, 24, 27, 26, 12
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- HP [Grass]

Surf for STAB and Ice Beam for coverage, HP[Grass] hits bulky water/gounds hard and Focus Blast hits hard (if it hits)

;389;
Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Impish
EVs: 212 HP, 252 Sp Defense, 44 Speed
IVs: 24, 29, 25, 28, 1, 26
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Wood Hammer hits hard, EQ can hit that incomming Infernapes/Heatrans, Leech Seed to regain HP and Protect is great after you seeded you opponent because together with leftovers you regain much HP

;143;
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Carefull
EVs: 100 HP, 252 Defense, 156 Sp Defense
IVs: 7, 13, 26, 1, 17, 16
- Curse
- Fire-Punch
- Body Slam

- Rest

Curse-Lax one of my faves, after a few curses it's almost unstoppable, almost no one thinks of countering him, except the ones crushed by him.
Curse to power up, Fire Punch and Body Slam is great against any Type, however some people think but Heatran resists fire and normal but after a few curses body slam will even make Heatran cry like an baby ;)
especially with the para chances.
Rest to regain live after a few curses used.

remeber it's competive battling so EV train again and breed for better moves;)

Azure Flame

Alright, I'll take all this into consideration and try again.

Rhys29

Encore
If you had read the guide, you would have also known that Ev's only increase a stat in intervals of 4. That means using 30 Ev's in one stat is the same as using 28 Ev's. And yes, you have a long way to go, though it bugs me that everyone is contributing to the slow death of Serebii's rmt by suggesting everyone go to Smogon 0.0 You can learn by asking around.

Azure Flame

If you had read the guide, you would have also known that Ev's only increase a stat in intervals of 4. That means using 30 Ev's in one stat is the same as using 28 Ev's. And yes, you have a long way to go, though it bugs me that everyone is contributing to the slow death of Serebii's rmt by suggesting everyone go to Smogon 0.0 You can learn by asking around.

Yeah, I didn't really think it through. I was just trying to use them all up.

Rhys29

Encore
Well then you're looking at the technique of 'effective dumping'. This means once you reach the prioritized goals of your Ev's and have leftovers, you 'dump' them into a stat or two. Danbaru's guide helps a lot once you already have an understanding of Ev's, but it implies too much for newer peeps, which is why I'm making my own.

Let's take Staraptor for example. First, let's say you want a Choice Band or Life Orb set, so you would have some extra power. The two things Staraptor should be investing in are Att and Spe so as to help it sweep. Knowing that the item you are going to give it will be increasing the Att, you can safely invest in a Spe + nature, the best being Jolly since you're not using Sp.A.

Now Staraptor is a base 100 Spe poke. There are a lot of pokes that are base 100, so many would argue it would be beneficial to tie them since Intimidate allows Staraptor to switch into them effectively. However, for the sake of this lesson, let's say you want to outrun base 95's.This would mean your Spe stat would have to reach 318. To figure out how many Ev's you would need with a + natured ability to reach a certain point, just use this formula:
( X / 1.1 ) - Y x 4 = Your Ev's
In the formula, X is the number you want to reach and Y is the stat with a nuetral nature and 31 Iv's. In this case, X = 318 as you want to reach 318 Spe to outrun base 95's, and Y would be 236 since Staraptor with a nuetral nature has 205 Spe without 31 Iv's. So this is what the formula would look like for your case:
( 318 / 1.1 ) - 236 x 4 = Your Ev's
Let's go through it.
289.09 - 236 x 4 = Your Ev's
See how that number is a decimal? That means, in the game, if you were to hit that number your stat would actually be rounded down. This means you would need to round up. So the actual number you would get is 290.
290 - 236 x 4 = Your Ev's
54 x 4 = Your Ev's
216 = Your Ev's
So now you know that in order to outrun base 95's, a + nature Staraptor would need a minimal of 216 Spe Ev's. Now you have the speed finished.

The next stat that takes priority is Att. For Staraptor's case, it is beneficial to it's cause to max it out, and the maximum amount one can put in a stat that will have use is 252 (since 255 isn't divisible by 4). So your Ev's so far are 252 Att, 216 Spe. You have fulfilled the basic requirements and what takes priority for your set to work. However, you will notice that you still have 40 Ev's to spend. Where should they go?

Instead of spreading them out and hoping it works, this is where 'effective dumping' comes into play. You want to put the remaining Ev's in a stat that will benefit Staraptor in some way. Since Staraptor is Stealth Rock weak, it will have to be switching into attacks, and Brave Bird has a costly recoil, it would be extremely beneficial to Staraptor to increase its Hp with the remaining Ev's. So your final outcome is:
Jolly - 40 Hp, 252 Att, 216 Spe
Doesn't that look better? Remember that each poke has specific things it needs to focus on in order to make them work better. This example was only for Staraptor.

Azure Flame

Well then you're looking at the technique of 'effective dumping'. This means once you reach the prioritized goals of your Ev's and have leftovers, you 'dump' them into a stat or two. Danbaru's guide helps a lot once you already have an understanding of Ev's, but it implies too much for newer peeps, which is why I'm making my own.

Let's take Staraptor for example. First, let's say you want a Choice Band or Life Orb set, so you would have some extra power. The two things Staraptor should be investing in are Att and Spe so as to help it sweep. Knowing that the item you are going to give it will be increasing the Att, you can safely invest in a Spe + nature, the best being Jolly since you're not using Sp.A.

Now Staraptor is a base 100 Spe poke. There are a lot of pokes that are base 100, so many would argue it would be beneficial to tie them since Intimidate allows Staraptor to switch into them effectively. However, for the sake of this lesson, let's say you want to outrun base 95's.This would mean your Spe stat would have to reach 318. To figure out how many Ev's you would need with a + natured ability to reach a certain point, just use this formula:
( X / 1.1 ) - Y x 4 = Your Ev's
In the formula, X is the number you want to reach and Y is the stat with a nuetral nature and 31 Iv's. In this case, X = 318 as you want to reach 318 Spe to outrun base 95's, and Y would be 236 since Staraptor with a nuetral nature has 205 Spe without 31 Iv's. So this is what the formula would look like for your case:
Let's go through it.
289.09 - 236 x 4 = Your Ev's
See how that number is a decimal? That means, in the game, if you were to hit that number your stat would actually be rounded down. This means you would need to round up. So the actual number you would get is 290.
290 - 236 x 4 = Your Ev's
54 x 4 = Your Ev's
216 = Your Ev's
So now you know that in order to outrun base 95's, a + nature Staraptor would need a minimal of 216 Spe Ev's. Now you have the speed finished.

The next stat that takes priority is Att. For Staraptor's case, it is beneficial to it's cause to max it out, and the maximum amount one can put in a stat that will have use is 252 (since 255 isn't divisible by 4). So your Ev's so far are 252 Att, 216 Spe. You have fulfilled the basic requirements and what takes priority for your set to work. However, you will notice that you still have 40 Ev's to spend. Where should they go?

Instead of spreading them out and hoping it works, this is where 'effective dumping' comes into play. You want to put the remaining Ev's in a stat that will benefit Staraptor in some way. Since Staraptor is Stealth Rock weak, it will have to be switching into attacks, and Brave Bird has a costly recoil, it would be extremely beneficial to Staraptor to increase its Hp with the remaining Ev's. So your final outcome is:
Jolly - 40 Hp, 252 Att, 216 Spe
Doesn't that look better? Remember that each poke has specific things it needs to focus on in order to make them work better. This example was only for Staraptor.

I understand what you mean, but the math is wrong. According to PEMDAS, multiply comes before subtract, leaving me with a negative number. A better way to put it would be ( ( X / 1.1 ) - Y ) x 4 = EV. Sorry, I'm kind of a math geek.

Anyway, I'm going to try for the team ThomBom(Pearl Fan) suggested.

Azure Flame

Wow, nitpick much?

And why use so many outclassed UU's in OU?

Sorry about that. I can be a bit anal about some things.

I don't know. I didn't really know which were what. I just picked six I thought might work.

piman34

All-around n00b
sorry to jack the thread real quick but rhys, is that formula you used for ev's work for every stat the same, and every pokemon as well?

Rhys29

Encore
It's for figuring out what Ev's you need to use in order to hit a number with a positive nature. That works on every poke as it works with every nature. Such as say I wanted to get a Bronsong with 320 Sp.D and a positive nature, I would just plug it in:
(( 320 / 1.1 ) - 268 ) x 4 = Your Ev's
(( 290.90 ) - 268 ) x 4 = Ev's
( 291 - 268 ) x 4 = Ev's
23 x 4 = Ev's
92 Sp.D
That's how it's done the quickest really.

@ OP: Well you should be more focused on a team that works together in the tier environment you're looking at using it in.