• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fit To Be Tide! (087)

Igottapoo

In my nightmares
This is one of the most boring gym battles :/ The surfing race was alright but that's it. I mean shooting cans? Just unexciting.

Last edited:

Tadashi

kiss my greens
I totally love the idea of a race as part of a Gym match... but the fact that he got a badge from that... well... definitely not one of the best Gym matches.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I liked the idea of a challenge and not a battle.

One of my favorite gyms was the Mikan Island Gym since it still specializes in Water types.

Good episode introducing the Orange Crew. 9/10

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Good gym battle, i loved Lapras' strategy..

And Ash was great, 7/10

G50

No longer posting
This episode was cool. All 3 of the tests were cool, and definitely gave a different version of a gym battle than we were used to at the time. The race strategy was really cool as well. Glad Ash won in the end.

60/100

To me, it felt like this first Gym match was just a bit too easy and was a bit too short.

It could've been a little longer.

However, it is neat to see gym matches done in a different style than the usual first-trainer-to-faint-the-leaders-pokemon-first style. Truly unique!

Also, I personally liked what Seadras voice sounded like. It was really adorable!

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
I liked how this episode showed what Gym battles in the Orange Islands are like. The Gym "battle" in this episode was interesting because it was very different from Ash's battles in Kanto. However, the Gym was a little weird. I mean, being able to shoot cans with water proves your Pokemon are strong enough for the League because...?

The part at the beginning when Ash phoned Prof. Oak was funny, because Tracey was *blushing*. Creepy.

Vernikova

Champion
I always liked the Orange Islands' gym battles because of their uniquness. The shooting cans was a silly challenge though to be honest. Sissy's little brother was pretty annoying though. With Seadra and Blastoise though, I would've liked to see a traditional gym battle.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Cissy's gym seems a little unfair, seeing as clearly her Pokemon have been specifically trained for shooting targets, whereas some trainers might literally have to capture a new water type simply to be able to compete. Not cool.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I like how the Gym battles are different, but I agree that the activities are a bit unfair seeing as the Gym Leader has an obvious advantage. This episode, in particular, was one of my favourites because I just loved the surf race. It was smart of Ash to change the conditions with Ice Beam.

but I agree that the activities are a bit unfair seeing as the Gym Leader has an obvious advantage.

At one side, that is true and unfair. But at the other site, it is really a test for trainers to overcome their disadvantage against the Gym Leader.

However, some necessities are unfair. Cissy requiring someone to have two Water types, which one of them needs to be able to Surf.

Someone who challenges Danny has to climb a mountain first. A little unfair, because someone who does not have the physical abilities to climb a mountain, but the Pokemon and the skill to complete the challenge is unable to take part.

I do think that the challenges from Rudy and Luana are fair.

Blessed

The Gym battles in the Orange Islands were really interesting!. Nice to see that Ash won.

Last edited:

7threst

I always liked the Orange Islands' gym battles because of their uniquness. The shooting cans was a silly challenge though to be honest. Sissy's little brother was pretty annoying though. With Seadra and Blastoise though, I would've liked to see a traditional gym battle.

This comment basically summarizes my entire opinion about this episode. I loved the Orange Island gyms just because of the variety and something completely different than the standard 1 v 1 battles in Kanto and Johto.

NPT

Just a member
Mikan island's gym challenges were quite unique. The Pokémon race and Water Gun targeting were fun to watch.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
Why didn't they just battle with their Pokemon then shoting targets and racing. I don't feel that this will Ash stronger as a Pokemon trainer.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like the fact that they broke the usual gym battle norm, mores gyms should do this.