• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Five years...Well, it's been good, and bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

It seems like a long time ago that I was first shown the main site by the (then-)girlfriend of my older brother, must have been about five or six years ago. It took some time, but 5 years ago I joined these forums under the username 'PokemasterJ', I admit back then I was a greenhorn. However, over the years my knowledge of Pokémon grew, and I met a handful of nice people here. However, now, I have to fly from the nest, and finally throw in the towel.

I have been here for five long years, and I have seen some changes. When I first joined it was a nice, welcoming community, but something changed. In recent years I noticed rules getting stricter, and members getting grouchier. I found myself every year getting my signature deleted for breaking the rules which I have to admit, and I have shown them to other people and they agree, they are too strict. Last time I was banned for such an offence I actually emailed Serebii telling him how ridiculous I found it that I get banned for such an offence when people who openly troll got away with it, which led to a tighter crackdown on that. I remember when Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness was still new, and I kept on trying to organise that forum, heck, around it's release most of the sticky topics were mine. I remember when I got my early ONM which had the release date of My Pokémon Ranch, and I emailed Serebii - getting my username on the main site - I felt it to be such an honour. But why did I? It's simple - the egos on this forum.

The staff here, I have noticed, have such huge egos. There are a lot of them who are quick to smack down a newbie for making a simple mistake, or correct them with a rude tone of voice. Sure, there are those nice staff members I have come across who have been nice to people when they deserve it. However, the sheer pomposity on this forum appals me. I myself help co-run a Pokémon Community, that, although is not as big as this - one characteristic we look for staff members, above everything else, is their character, and we have yet to have a problem with any staff member, although we have been around for five years. We can have a laugh and joke without getting an infraction for spamming, or a moderator jumping in telling people to stop spamming (unless it gets too severe), it's a nice community, and being there really shown me what this place is missing - heart. Sure, Serebii has grown a lot since 'Joe's Pokémon Page' and I will not deny it is a big part of the Pokémon fandom, but in terms of the community it possesses, it is saddening and rather mechanic - it is no longer a place where one can have fun.

The thought of leaving has been on my mind for at least a year or so now, but I have finally decided to pack my bags in. Every day it seems I am growing more and more irritated here, in fact, recently the only things I'd do is hang around Alt. Card Discussion or HeartGold SoulSilver discussion, and I admit - during my 3 weeks of being banned I did briefly check every now and again for any news on HGSS (no I didn't create an Alt, it's called deleting cookies...sure there isn't a rule against that) and during then I truly realised that it is not necessary for me to be a part of the forums any more - the only thought that kept me here.

I do not want anyone to think that my reasons for leaving is me being butthurt over my latest ban, as I was only unbanned yesterday, I want them to know the reasons why, and if this thread is deleted, then it will show the true colours of this forum, as yes - it will be screenshotted. I have made a select few friends here, and those that I need, I already have other ways to contact them. I cannot promise I shall never return, there may well be a time, but it definitely won't be for a long time. I seriously recommend the admins re-look their criteria for promotion to staff, and some of their rules (especially the signature rules) with some level-headed, human thinking, or else I wouldn't be surprised if other people take my example.

I've had some fun here, I will not deny that. However, lately I have just been plagued and annoyed by this place and feel that the beautiful rose bush I once knew has now began to show it's thorns. If any of you still wish to keep in touch with me, I email address is in my profile. I would also name the site I co-run, but that would be advertising.

So it is with great sadness and regret that I shall be clicking the Log Out button for the last time - but it is not without it's reasons. I don't know if I will ultimately miss this place, as it's said you never truly miss something until it's gone, but only time will tell. Farewell to everyone here, I wish you all the best - and perhaps a happier community?

- Kakashi Sharingan Warrior
26th August 2004 - 2nd September 2009

Logging Out....

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Goodbye threads aren't allowed. If you're going to leave, just leave, don't make a huge scene of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.