1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion! (777)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Adventures in Unova' started by Serebii, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Alfred the Second

Alfred the Second Dracoflare

So...are you implying that they have to spend their time on a character which will only appear 7 years later and speak for a grand total of 1 second?

2. You know perfectly well what I mean. In general, they STILL have issues that should have been resolved long ago. It's not just Misty (obviously). Sarah's Ash sounds too forced and strained, and wasn't emotionally believable. -_-

There's simply no excuse for Professor Oak's voice. I'm sorry.

Keep in mind Ash and Professor Oak are still on the show. I suppose I can cut the other two some slack, though.

Legalities.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  3. Alfred the Second

The only reason you guys are complaining because you saw the original version of the english dub. To the dubbing artists, Misty is as good as a CoTD....or should I say CoTS? So they'll obviously put minimal effort.

4. Well, can you blame me? I'd expect them to try harder, you know? I get what you're saying, I do, but it's absurd how little effort is exerted.

Don't get me wrong, the BW dub is a VAST improvement over the BF and DP dubs, but it still has issues. That's all I'm saying.

5. Alfred the Second

No, you shouldn't expect them to try hard on 1 sec. If Misty does appear some time later...then you get to do the complaining. I am not saying you complaining about Prof. Oak's voice is wrong..because he will appear a lot from now onwards.

6. Okay, I get what you're saying now. That's fine. I thought you were saying it was wrong to complain about Professor Oak's voice. I mean, only because we still have to listen to him for a ton of upcoming episodes.

It's just amazing to me that they've had so long, and they still don't stack up yet. There is no real emotional investment from Ash's VA, either. Sure, her voice is really good now, but she feels so unnatural and forced.

7. moneylesswario

moneylesswario Shudo's Powerhouses

She still voiced her, didn't she? I have every right to complain about her voice...especially if one of the lines are lame.

I might be a bit harsh on her, considering the circumstances, but I still expected better.

8. Same here. I am being really harsh myself, but that's only because if they must insist on replacing the original VAs, that they should do a job at least equal to or better than them. That has yet to happen, IMO.

9. Alfred the Second

To be honest, I don't think anyone can emulate Ash's Japanese emotion and way of talking into English. It's just the Japanese language is the original and quite different from English. I mean (this is just my opinion, don't eat me for it) I find Rica Matsumoto's Satoshi a lot better than even Veronica Taylor's Ash. I don't think English originated cartoons have this problem...I am not sure though, I don't watch Ben10 or anything.

10. PokemonTrainerTyler

PokemonTrainerTyler Well-Known Member

He will? Nice I love Oak

11. WaterDragon trainer

WaterDragon trainer Freak Like Me

This episode was incredibly fantastic and nostalgic. It was so great to see all things Kanto again, especially Charizard.

12. Professor Oak's voice was terrible, IMHO. :/

A bit. The recast voices sucked a lot of fun away from it for me.

I don't mind. I really don't care for his JPN seiyu as much as I care for the dub. I would rather Sarah Natochenny go for Veronica Taylor than Rica Matsumoto anyway. No offense, of course, but I just like to see it in English more.

13. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

Mostly when compared to Zaget's Oak. I dunno. On it's own, it seems tolerable (assuming Zaget never showed up for auditions WAY back). Sadly, following after the greats isn't easy and side-by-side, the better one's obvious.

14. Yeah, as a stand-alone performance, it's tolerable. When compared to Zagnit's, it's downright horrible though.

A lot of the current VAs are just annoying when you compare them side-by-side to the original English VAs, IMO.

I suppose on their own merit, they're all okay. It's just annoying to hear some of them sound so off.

She used to do a terrible job in BF and DP, but I don't see a big difference in BW.
    I think it's really how forced and strained she sounds, along with the lack in emotion, that did her in today.

15. Orton155

Orton155 Pokemon Enthusiast

I couldn't be more happier with this episode, it brought back so many memories and I had to smile from ear to ear.

At the beginning of the episode, it was all the little bits that made me smile; the Magikarp salesman and the video by Professor oak presenting the Kanto starters was just perfect for the festival. The middle of the episode was for the nostalgia. All the re-mastered scenes were amazing and it was just lovely to see Ash talk so deeply about his past adventures. Then finally, the star of the show returned in the flesh and we were treated to a battle between two of the strongest Pokémon currently in the gang's teams. I can't wait to see what we have in store now because I think this is where the arc is going to take off.

Can't wait till the next episode so onto the next one!

16. Sabrina's Doll

Sabrina's Doll Active Member

Professor Oak sounds like a squeakier Gary Oak. Misty's voice was totally not Misty. Aerodactyl's voice made me chuckle. Damien's voice wasn't quite right. Squirtle was pitch perfect.

The Snow Way Out scene lacked emotional punch with Ash's current voice. SN is getting a lot better in sounding more like VT but the emotional range/acting choices aren't there yet.

Finally, the new animation didn't capture some of the events the way they actually happened (it's minor but still there). I also noticed they changed some of the dialogue during the flashbacks.

Overall, decent episode but I still watch the OS a lot which essentially takes away from nostalgia viewing.

17. Royal_Qeca

Royal_Qeca Pokémon Blue

Wonderful episode and I'm glad they changed those mistakes with Aerodactyl and Pidgeotto.

No, he won't appear "a lot from now onwards" and I'm talking about the confirmed episodes so far. But this is off topic anyway.

18. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Oh, look. A comment."

Almost forgot.

Dammit, N! Ash was this close to breaking his losing streak till you walked in-between!

19. Brownie, I completely agree with you.

I'd like to chime in and say Bill's Brock sounded a lot better than he did in DP, I'll even say he was good today, but his yelling makes Brock sounds constipated. I much prefer Eric's version, though.

I said he'll appear in many upcoming episodes. You're mincing my words.

Dub episode was passable. Nothing special, yet not bad either.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  20. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

I just came in to say that I watched the dub of ~The Best Episode Ever~. It was obviously a lot worse simply because the VA in this series (and the writing) has kind of always been....not that good (I like nostalgia, but I can barely watch dubs even of the older episodes), but that's expected. It was a blast to see all of it again in English, and honestly just a joy in every way.

Then I stumbled across a reply from the last time I was in this topic.
    You "stopped reading because that's completely subjective"? What, do you always stop reading when you come across something completely subjective? Of course it's subjective! There's no objective grounds that dictate Charizard's absolute superiority to the other 648 Pokemon. I didn't think I would have to spell out to you that that's an opinion. I didn't think I'd have to add an "IMO" to the post to make it clear to you that "x is the best Pokemon" is an opinion. Clearly I do. Next time I state an opinion, I'll add an "IMO" just to be safe.

Oh no. I won't. That would be lame.

And if a good episode is "ruined" for you by Charizard's fans that is your problem. Absolutely your problem. Not mine, not ours.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013