• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion! (777)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
-The new-gen flashbacks were interesting to see but i still wonder if PUSA couldn't use original footage from the 4kids era because of copyright? Or it legally belongs to 4kids?

That has got nothing to do with it as that wasn't a problem for the original Japanese version. They made everything BW style so it wouldn't seem out of place.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
This is a much needed episode mainly because the first half of the BW saga had absolutely no flashbacks or references to Ash's previous adventures whatsoever it was as if they never happened! While it's a shame the flashbacks didn't use their original audio the animation (despite being computer animated) was virtually identical. Overall a very much needed episode! It's good to see that the writers still remember the original fans of the anime! To tell you the truth I was pretty nervous :p

Or you could watch the first episode and see that your statement is completely wrong.

Toonyoungster

The Capture Champion
I noticed how in the flashbacks, they used some of the dialogue 4kids used instead of a straight translation. Interesting.

Vipsoccermaster

Damn, that was an amazing episode! Great to see Charizard back, and all those flashbacks, it really brings me back. Misty and Brock, and even Damien. I thought it was "Damian," though. The writers really out-did themselves for the jackpot-numbered episode, 777. One of my favorite episodes.

666th episode was one of my favorites, as well, since that was when Ash caught Snivy, one of my favorite Pokémon.

Here's hoping the 888th episode will be as good as this one.

sandy ketchum

I felt kind of awkward watching the flashbacks in his new voice. the flashback scenes seemed forced. sarah portrays ash so differently.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Saw the dub for this episode, and it sucked....the episode is good, but not really the dub.
Misty sounds NOTHING like she did in the OS (and her cameos), or even MOMP. I liked Bill Rogers, surprisingly. Zoppi as Professor Oak proved to be the worst.
I did like Damian's voice (his was the one I was worried about the most) and Koga's.
I still don't like how the Charizard vs Dragonite match went unresolved, though.

Things i liked

The magikarp salesmen appears

Ash tells the gang why he has Pikachu as his first pokemon

Cilian mentions Charzard is like Dragonite and Exadrill.

But i would like Cilian to introduce his pokemon to Charzard.
But back in the flashbacks They used ashs modern voice, and the evolutions were the new unova evolutions. But i like how some of them are modernized.

Good episode.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Saw the dub for this episode, and it sucked....the episode is good, but not really the dub.
Misty sounds NOTHING like she did in the OS (and her cameos), or even MOMP. I liked Bill Rogers, surprisingly. Zoppi as Professor Oak proved to be the worst.
I did like Damian's voice (his was the one I was worried about the most) and Koga's.
I still don't like how the Charizard vs Dragonite match went unresolved, though.

Yep, for all two of her lines.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Or you could watch the first episode and see that your statement is completely wrong.
OK! With the exception of the first episode can you name any Flashbacks or References to Ash's previous adventures in the first half of the BW saga?

Yep, for all two of her lines.

When a voice sucks, it simply sucks. Doesn't matter how short a duration a time it was. I completely agree with StickerStarYoshi.

They have had 7 years to get it right. Like it or not, there's no excuse for crappy performances at this point.

My thoughts:

Ash- Good, but lacked emotion. Taylor was better because she was more natural and less forced, and for the emotion she put into the role.
Brock- Bad at first, good, then bad again. Stuart was better because his voice is higher pitched and fits his age better, but Bill was tolerable.
Misty- No contest. Lillis was FAR better. She sounds like Iris now. :/
Damian- Can go either way, really, but Blaustein won this one solely because of nostalgia.
Koga- Horrible. Stuart Zagnit was better.
Professor Oak- Nightmarishly bad. Stuart Zagnit was better. The worst by far.
Squirtle- Nearly dead on ringer for Eric's. Excellent.
Bulbasaur- Good enough impression of Tara Jayne. Good job.
All Other Pokémon- Simply pathetic. Poor job.

I felt kind of awkward watching the flashbacks in his new voice. the flashback scenes seemed forced. sarah portrays ash so differently.

Yeah, the voice itself is pretty close, but it sounds SO strained and forced. Taylor was far more natural.

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree, if someone is going to voice a character in the first place, they have to be BEARABLE.

Aerodactyl did not sound right.

Last edited:
As in, Misty had so few lines in the flashbacks that they barely totaled three seconds. I don't see how you could complain about her voice after something so insignificant.

I don't see how you can't complain, considering they've had 7 years to get it right, and still haven't. It's ridiculous they still have trouble after all this time has passed.

It's simply unacceptable at this point. Bill Rogers simply CANNOT yell as Brock at all (his voice was surprisingly good, and nothing like the constipated DP Brock at all), Michele can't play Misty, and Sarah's Ash still lacks a natural feeling and emotion to it after all this time (ironically her voice is now the closest to the 4Kids voice, IMO).

The less said about Professor Oak, the better. I don't even want to begin to describe the numerous issues with that one. It's self-explanatory.

I agree, if someone is going to voice a character in the first place, they have to be BEARABLE.

Aerodactyl did not sound right.

Aerodactyl sounded like he was mentally...yeah.

Bill's Brock is DRAMATICALLY better in voice than in DP, but he CANNOT yell as Brock. That's actually my issue with him now.

Last edited:

matt0044

Would it have been possible to take the audio from the old episodes and apply them to the flashbacks here? Or would there've being sound quality issues? Legalities.