• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion! (777)

Zormon

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. Huge nostalgic episode.

However, there are a few things that really bugged me, but can be understandable. The first thing was how they had to alter the eyes of the Kanto Ash to fit the new Unova style. It looked WAY too weird to see those eyes with that outfit we all grew up with. I understand they felt they needed to make it consistent, but come on :(

The next thing that's more understandable but still bothered me was that they didn't keep the original voice actor for Kanto Ash when he spoke. Yeah, I know, it'd be weird to have two different voices for some and they'd also have to probably pay the original voice actor something, though I doubt they'd have to pay her much. The same has to go wit the voices of Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard's (at least Ash's). Those shouldn't have been touched.

However, putting those things aside, it was a nice reunion moment. Though I'm not a huge Charizard fan, it's nice to see him bringing back one of his old pokemon back into his roster. I also liked how they mentioned Pidgetto for a split second when they were in the cave (though that'll probably be the last you ever hear of his Pidgeot lol). I also liked how Oak mentioned his other two flying types that are at his lab and how Ash sent Unfezant with them.

Now, all I want is Bayleef to come back and I'll be happy :).

EDIT: WOOT FOR SPARKY!

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerTyler

Professor Oak's voice was terrible, IMHO. :/

I meant the character himself not the voice. TBH when it is a kiddy show I let voices slide. And have never been to bugged by the voices in Pokemon. Yet when Megan Hollingshead was replaced as Mai in Yugioh! MY GOD I CRIED!!!

As for the episode itself why was Ash so nice to Iris? It was his chance to call her a kid towards the end and he was like "Nah I'll just be helpful instead!"

I meant the character himself not the voice. TBH when it is a kiddy show I let voices slide. And have never been to bugged by the voices in Pokemon. Yet when Megan Hollingshead was replaced as Mai in Yugioh! MY GOD I CRIED!!!

As for the episode itself why was Ash so nice to Iris? It was his chance to call her a kid towards the end and he was like "Nah I'll just be helpful instead!"

Ash's always nice. He would laugh at someone's mistake, but he'll also point it out and correct them. He's your typical shounen boy like Goku, Naruto etc...albeit a less badass version.

Joy it's the Charizard fan wank episode, the ratings must have been really piss poor for the writer's to trot out another one of their crutches in Charizard. I'm sick of Charizard the only time he's good is when he's in league battle or a factory battle. The relience of the writers on Charizard is what ruined a good portion of Kanto & the Orange Islands. So now we begin the countdown until we have Charizard vs. Reshirarm because the writer's are to lazy to bring back Zekrom. This was a complete waste of an episode that could've actually done a good job of actually showing off the Kanto region.

1) You clearly don't remember Kanto and Orange Islands. Let me refresh it for you: Charizard starred in less number of official battles than Bulbasaur. I'm not sure how it ruined it for you

2) I will talk to you again four or five weeks later because you are under delusion if you think Charizard will do anything.

3) You seem to hate Charizard a lot. I am not a Charizard fan, but I hate people hating on something for no reason. Like I said, look at your post after five weeks and feel how silly you are:Z

I get you, but I do not like the TPCi voice cast that much. Never really have, never really will. I much prefer 4Kids' voice cast myself.

I was also horrified by Mai's horrendous, horrendous voice during the DOMA Arc of YGO, but this whole voice cast has made me cry too many times due to how different (or just plain bad for some, IMO) everyone sounds.

Thankfully Ash and Brock no longer sound like chainsmokers or old men (respectively) *glares at DP*, but I'll always miss the old VA cast myself. I miss when the characters sounded fully believable and natural in voice and emotion to me.

Does that mean I think they suck? No. They have their own way of doing things, and I respect that for what it's worth. I may not show it at all, but that's my thoughts there.

Does that mean I do not like them myself? Yes. I'm used to them after 7 years, but I'm not a big fan of the way the characters have been played over the years.

As for the episode itself? Ash was nice to Iris because he is a pimp, and he must keep his stable of girls healthy so that he may maintain his everlasting fountain of youth that keeps him at the ripe young age of 10. JK. XD.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. Huge nostalgic episode.

However, there are a few things that really bugged me, but can be understandable. The first thing was how they had to alter the eyes of the Kanto Ash to fit the new Unova style. It looked WAY too weird to see those eyes with that outfit we all grew up with. I understand they felt they needed to make it consistent, but come on :(

The next thing that's more understandable but still bothered me was that they didn't keep the original voice actor for Kanto Ash when he spoke. Yeah, I know, it'd be weird to have two different voices for some and they'd also have to probably pay the original voice actor something, though I doubt they'd have to pay her much. The same has to go wit the voices of Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard's (at least Ash's). Those shouldn't have been touched.

However, putting those things aside, it was a nice reunion moment. Though I'm not a huge Charizard fan, it's nice to see him bringing back one of his old pokemon back into his roster. I also liked how they mentioned Pidgetto for a split second when they were in the cave (though that'll probably be the last you ever hear of his Pidgeot lol). I also liked how Oak mentioned his other two flying types that are at his lab and how Ash sent Unfezant with them.

Now, all I want is Bayleef to come back and I'll be happy :).

EDIT: WOOT FOR SPARKY!

They didn't keep the original English voice actors for anyone. rofl.

Anyway, it was still a good dub episode. I gave it a 8/10 before, so I'll give it the same score again. Would've liked it more with the original voice actors, but what can I say? The show itself hasn't felt the same to me since AG146 anyway. XD.

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerTyler

I get you, but I do not like the TPCi voice cast that much. Never really have, never really will. I much prefer 4Kids' voice cast myself.

I was also horrified by Mai's horrendous, horrendous voice during the DOMA Arc of YGO, but this whole voice cast has made me cry too many times due to how different (or just plain bad for some, IMO) everyone sounds.

Thankfully Ash and Brock no longer sound like chainsmokers or old men (respectively) *glares at DP*, but I'll always miss the old VA cast myself. I miss when the characters sounded fully believable and natural in voice and emotion to me.

Does that mean I think they suck? No. They have their own way of doing things, and I respect that for what it's worth. I may not show it at all, but that's my thoughts there.

Does that mean I do not like them myself? Yes. I'm used to them after 7 years, but I'm not a big fan of the way the characters have been played over the years.

As for the episode itself? Ash was nice to Iris because he is a pimp, and he must keep his stable of girls healthy so that he may maintain his everlasting fountain of youth that keeps him at the ripe young age of 10. JK. XD.

They didn't keep the original English voice actors for anyone. rofl.

Anyway, it was still a good dub episode. I gave it a 8/10 before, so I'll give it the same score again. Would've liked it more with the original voice actors, but what can I say? The show itself hasn't felt the same to me since AG146 anyway. XD.

I think one thing to take into consideration (That took me years to think off) was did the new voice coach want them to sound like the old voices to begin with or just do there own thing. Because if they were told to sound like the old cast like how the new LT actors in looney Toons Show do impressions of the Mel Blanc characters I can see why people would be upset. But if they were told to make up voices like the Funi One Piece I think it is not so much anyone's fault. At the end of the day I think it a lot more complicated then fans think. I can see why people would get mad in a flashback scene like this. Ironically the one voice in the flashback that sounded spot on was Damien and his VA passed away. (Unless they used old stock audio and not a new person)

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Yeah I also gave it a solid 8/10, even though I expected a winner from the awesome battle in the end. Perhaps in the future.

I said he'll appear in many upcoming episodes. You're mincing my words.

But he won't appear in "many" upcoming episodes... And I'm obviously talking about the episodes known so far. That's the whole point. You shouldn't put his hopes high saying that because until now he only had a significant appearance in the episode:
#789 and despite that he got minor presence in the episode #784. That's all for now...

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
Just saw this episode today, and I think it's among the best episodes this season had to offer. The battles like the one between Charizard and Dragonite is very sporadic, but very awesome. At least they showed mutual respect after the battle.

Sprinter1988

Just watched the episode, and have a question. When Charizard and Dragonite battle, Iris calls out a move that is obviously ThunderPunch, but to me it sounded like she said Mega Punch. Anyone else hear that or was it just me? I could swear she said Mega Punch.

Yeah I also gave it a solid 8/10, even though I expected a winner from the awesome battle in the end. Perhaps in the future.

But he won't appear in "many" upcoming episodes... And I'm obviously talking about the episodes known so far. That's the whole point. You shouldn't put his hopes high saying that because until now he only had a significant appearance in the episode:
#789 and despite that he got minor presence in the episode #784. That's all for now...

Oh, I see. XD.

I think one thing to take into consideration (That took me years to think off) was did the new voice coach want them to sound like the old voices to begin with or just do there own thing. Because if they were told to sound like the old cast like how the new LT actors in looney Toons Show do impressions of the Mel Blanc characters I can see why people would be upset. But if they were told to make up voices like the Funi One Piece I think it is not so much anyone's fault. At the end of the day I think it a lot more complicated then fans think. I can see why people would get mad in a flashback scene like this. Ironically the one voice in the flashback that sounded spot on was Damien and his VA passed away. (Unless they used old stock audio and not a new person)

I completely agree with you on Damian. He sounded spot on. Everyone else ranged from good (Ash/Brock (when he doesn't yell)/Magikarp Salesman/Squirtle/Bulbasaur) to bad (Brock (only when yelling)/Misty/Aerodactyl/Charmeleon).

I'm only so harsh on them because the old VAs were forced off the show and these guys refuse to drop the roles despite fan outcry for them to bring back the old cast. Frankly, I feel the old cast was royally screwed over, hence why I'm so critical of their performances.

We were promised sound-alikes, hence why I am upset. But more than that, it seems like they are trying to WIPE OUT memory of the ENTIRE original English dub in the first place. It hurt enough they recast the voices to me, but this is just harsh and hurts me on a very personal level.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Well I caved in and decided to watch ahead of time breaking quite a few of my rules (I had actually quit as of season 15 but what the hey. It's Charizard.XP)but I was curious.

All I can say is wow. I loved the flashbacks. =D

That Charmander at the beginning was very very adorable though.=3

Am I the only one who thinks Charizard actually has a cooler roar now. It was awsome when he came out of the pokeball.=D

The battle was awsome.

That's it i'm watching to the end of season 16.=)

Who cares there's no amazing story. The fun individual episodes makes up for all that. I can always leave when BW ends.=3
8 seasons of TPCI here I come.=D

Last edited:

Battra

1) You clearly don't remember Kanto and Orange Islands. Let me refresh it for you: Charizard starred in less number of official battles than Bulbasaur. I'm not sure how it ruined it for you

2) I will talk to you again four or five weeks later because you are under delusion if you think Charizard will do anything.

3) You seem to hate Charizard a lot. I am not a Charizard fan, but I hate people hating on something for no reason. Like I said, look at your post after five weeks and feel how silly you are:Z

I do remember Kanto & Orange Islands, I remember Ash always bringing out his Charizard when it wasn't needed for humor reasons, or that the writers wrote themselves into a corner and needed a deus ex machina that wasn't Pikachu. Ash had plenty of good Pokemon that would've served him well if the writers weren't so instant on getting rid of Pokemon and keeping most of his team weak.

I'm not hating on Charizard I pointed out that he work's when used correctly, I just don't like the fact that they brought him back only for ratings purposes only. Bring him back specifically for the episode N arc is a huge insult to the quality of Ash's current Unova team, it shows that the writer's are lazy.

Klay

Titan Tamer
I've just watched Pokemon Best Wishes! Season 2: Episode N Episode 8, and I had never cried that much in the pokemon series. I was against many changement expl: pikachu lost Volt Tackle for Electro Ball
But Charizard to have lost SEISMIC TOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SEISMIC TOSS!!!!! THE MOST BADASS MOVE OF THE SERIES!!!!

I like changement, i'm not a genwunner ( In love with Serperior and Jellicent), but THAT didnt have to change. It could have Wing Attack,Dragon Tail, Seismic Toss and Flamethrower! Why Slash!?!?!?!?! I dont comment think like that but i had too, i couldn't keep this for myself, im sure there somme people who think like me no?

NPT

Just a member
Without a doubt, this was One of the best episodes of the BW series.

It's annoying when Iris called Ash a kid for getting excited for the Kanto Festival, but I liked how Cilan told her that she's a kid herself. The Kanto Festival itself was interesting, there even was the Magikarp salseman. It's great to see Prof. Oak and Tracey getting appearance, too bad Tracy didn't get a speaking role but I'm glad he appeared.

Charmender's trainer was cute and the Charmender itself was cool, too bad Charmender hurt itself during showing of it's 'signature move' Ember to the others.

It's great to see Ash explaing the history of Charizard.....one of his strongest Pokémon. The flashbacks from the previous sagas were incredible, all of the scenes from the older episodes looked fantastic in BW style. It's awesome that we got to see all of Charizard's best moments, as well as Ash in his OS and AG outfit. The re-animated scenes were so much better than the outdated original scenes. We got to Primape and Pidgeotto too...... *Sigh* it's a shame that we didn't got a reunion episode with them, but I'm glad they appeared in the anime after so long(even though they only appeared in flashbacks).

Then there were flashback appearances from Damien, Liza and Koga. They all looked cool in their new appearances. It's cool to see the Squirtle, Charmender, Bulbasaur and Pidgeotto in the heartwarming scene from "Snow Way Out!", that scene is one of the best scenes from the Kanto Saga in my opinion. TPCI even kept the same dialougs from the original episodes.

It was surprising when Prof. Oak said that Charizard retured from Charicific Vally to his lab and it's even more surprsing when Ash sent Unfezant to Prof. Oak for BRINGING CHARIZARD IN UNOVA!! It's cool to see Ash sending out Charizard, his roar was epic! It's awesome to see Ash and Charizard finally reuniting after so long.

That fist bump was cool.

I loved how Charizard completely dominated Iris's Dragonite in the battle, it made Ash look like a strong trainer. I really wanted Charizard to defeat Dragonite, but........N stopped the battle! Ugh....why did you do that N? The battle was getting really good and you had to ruin it...meh.

It's hilarious when Iris thought Charizard was Dragon Type! I LOL'd at her facial expression when Ash dexed Charizard and showed it to her. Iris always calls Ash a 'kid' for the simplest things, but in this episode, she's the one who's a 'kid'. Serves her right.

I'm so glad that Charizard is staying with Ash instead of going back to Charicific Vally, it's one of the best things the writers have done to the anime.

I was never the biggest fan of the 4kids voice cast, so the TPCI voices didn't bother me in the flashbacks. All of the characters (except Misty)sounded fine to me.
My only complaint about this episode is Charizard's moveset. Why did the writers replaced Seismic Toss with Slash? Seismic Toss was Charizard's signature move, so it's kinda disappointing to see Charizard not being able to use the move anymore. Other than that, it's an amazing episode.

KJC

Actually, this episode just made me pissed off at Ash.

Why did you leave Charizard "training"... FOR TWELVE YEARS?!?

I would think one or two years would be quite enough. BUT TWELVE YEARS?

Isn't Ash's whole job description "Pokémon TRAINER".

Why didn't you train your own Charizard?

Okay I realize they had to come up with a reason for Ash to get rid of his strongest Pokémon, but is it really plausible that Ash, or any sane human being, would fail to reclaim their Charizard for 12 years straight?

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Actually, this episode just made me pissed off at Ash.

Why did you leave Charizard "training"... FOR TWELVE YEARS?!?

I would think one or two years would be quite enough. BUT TWELVE YEARS?

Isn't Ash's whole job description "Pokémon TRAINER".

Why didn't you train your own Charizard?

Okay I realize they had to come up with a reason for Ash to get rid of his strongest Pokémon, but is it really plausible that Ash, or any sane human being, would fail to reclaim their Charizard for 12 years straight?
If we go with the time line given to us at the beginning of BW, at most the time Charizard spent training would be slightly less than a year. There's also the issue of Charizard being a glory hog who'd overshadow Ash's current gen Pokemon like he did for the rest of BW.

KJC

If we go with the time line given to us at the beginning of BW, at most the time Charizard spent training would be slightly less than a year. There's also the issue of Charizard being a glory hog who'd overshadow Ash's current gen Pokemon like he did for the rest of BW.

I think they make clear that time flows normally even though he does not age.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I think they make clear that time flows normally even though he does not age.

That makes absolutely no sense. If he doesn't age then all the references and flashbacks to a clearly younger Ash are rendered moot.
And like I said, as much as I love Charizard, it is a screen hog that takes away from the current gen team. He IMO should really only be used for the league when rotation is necessary.