• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion! (777)

KJC

After he turned 10 he stopped aging.

If Charizard is a "screen hog" what exactly does that make Pikachu? Nobody said he should be used all the time. I just questioned why he would be left "training" for 12 years. Training for what? He didn't use Charizard in the Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova leagues.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
After he turned 10 he stopped aging.

If Charizard is a "screen hog" what exactly does that make Pikachu? Nobody said he should be used all the time. I just questioned why he would be left "training" for 12 years. Training for what? He didn't use Charizard in the Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova leagues.

And then Charizard came back for the Battle Frontier and eat a legendary in Hoenn. And he Oak'd Unfezant for a whole arc in Unova. Pikachu is a mascot and Ash's starter plus he usually gets dwarfed by Ash's regional powerhouse. Charizard being THE powerhouse would dwarf any other Pokemon Ash has on him at the time. This whole after 10 he doesn't age is BS and there has definately not been a 12 year gap in the anime timeline since Charizard went to the Charicific Valley.
The only time he should be used is to showcase Mega-Evolution or in Ash's crunch time league/important post-league battles.

KJC

And then Charizard came back for the Battle Frontier and eat a legendary in Hoenn.

Yes, he participated in the only event that did not really matter. Then he was completely absent in Sinnoh.

And he Oak'd Unfezant for a whole arc in Unova.

Yes, after the 12 years had gone by.

Pikachu is a mascot and Ash's starter plus he usually gets dwarfed by Ash's regional powerhouse.

Who exactly is more popular: Pikachu or Charizard?

This whole after 10 he doesn't age is BS and there has definately not been a 12 year gap in the anime timeline since Charizard went to the Charicific Valley.

It is physically impossible for less than a year to have gone by in the over 600 episodes between "Charizard's Burning Ambitions" and this one.

The only time he should be used is to showcase Mega-Evolution or in Ash's crunch time league/important post-league battles.

Ash could use him to fly, also.

Akashin

It is physically impossible for less than a year to have gone by in the over 600 episodes between "Charizard's Burning Ambitions" and this one.

It's also physically impossible for a boy to have not aged throughout the entire duration of the anime, though. This seems like a weird place to draw the line on what does and doesn't fly as far as time passing in the anime goes; it's probably easier to simply say time is a subject best not broached in the anime and leave it at that.

Also, what exactly makes Charizard special in this regard? The rest of his team barring Pikachu got Oak'd following the Silver Conference, and all of his subsequent teams went the same way. Charizard is hardly the only one to suffer that treatment.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Yes, he participated in the only event that did not really matter. Then he was completely absent in Sinnoh.

Yes, after the 12 years had gone by.

Who exactly is more popular: Pikachu or Charizard?

Ash could use him to fly, also.
12 Years has not elapsed in the anime timeline. At most its been slightly over a year; stop trying to apply real world time to a world where magical animals play with the elements like their toys. Even in an ideal timeline where Ash would be about 14 it'd still be less than 2 years since Charizard's BF appearance and his Unova reappearance.
Secondly Pikachu is by far the mpst popular and marketable Pokemon. Its not the franchise mascot for no reason.
Third of all to fly? A spot should be wasted for flying? Especially when Talonflame will be able to?
Like its been said what makes Charizard so deserving of yet another non-League comeback? I may not like Unfezant but it got robbed of an entire arc's worth of screentime by the Zard so no I'd rather that not happen again. Especially when Ash has Pokemon like Glalie, Gible, Scraggy, etc... that are far more in need of a reappearance than Charizard.

KJC

They do make reference to time passing normally, mentioning weeks, months, sometimes even years.

If each episode takes place on average a week after the previous one, then 12 years have certainly passed. That is hardly an implausible assumption, given that there is also a lot of resting when they reach cities or just prior to entering leagues. I also presume that not every day of their wandering in the wilderness is action-packed.

But let's say that each episode takes on average just two days after the previous one. That would still mean at least three years have gone by.

It just seemed like Ash was keeping too much distance between himself and Charizard. The other Pokémon could be instantly transported to him, but the only way he could get Charizard is if he called Liza (does he have her phone number? does she even have a phone number?) and Charizard physically flew over to him or Oak. He never even tried to do that.

Akashin

They do make reference to time passing normally, mentioning weeks, months, sometimes even years.

The only meaningful example of late I can think of is the Magnet Train being finished, which only hints at a minimum of a year passing. And I never said that the anime doesn't address time, just that it doesn't do so in a consistent manner.

If each episode takes place on average a week after the previous one, then 12 years have certainly passed. That is hardly an implausible assumption, given that there is also a lot of resting when they reach cities or just prior to entering leagues. I also presume that not every day of their wandering in the wilderness is action-packed.

But let's say that each episode takes on average just two days after the previous one. That would still mean at least three years have gone by.

I see no reason to assume either of these things. Take Naruto for example; around three years have passed from the start to the present, and two of those were in a time skip bridging Naruto to Shippuden. The duration of the anime has absolutely no bearing on the passage of time within it, unless explicitly stated (the likes of Family Guy has done so a couple times, if I recall).

That being said, in a logical world the latter is probably a reasonable assumption of roughly how much time has passed.

It just seemed like Ash was keeping too much distance between himself and Charizard. The other Pokémon could be instantly transported to him, but the only way he could get Charizard is if he called Liza (does he have her phone number? does she even have a phone number?) and Charizard physically flew over to him or Oak. He never even tried to do that.

Pretty sure that Oak acted as an interim between Ash and the Valley for accessing Charizard during the Battle Frontier, but don't quote me on that; that's a vague memory at best. Regardless, Charizard wasn't that much more out of reach than the Oak'd Pokemon, and they seldom got to take advantage of their increased accessibility anyway, so why does it matter?

KJC

It seems very clear that each episode usually takes place on a separate day, and that not every day of Ash's life is documented in the series. Before the Johto and Kanto league it was said that a considerable amount of time had passed despite there being few episodes to document it. Given that, I do not see how it is plausible for less than three years to have gone by between Charizard's dismissal and his return.

it would seem that after Ash left Johto there was no reason for Charizard to continue "training" given that it was capable of beating Gary's Blastoise. A good trainer would certainly not spend so much time out of touch with one his best Pokémon.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Without a doubt, this was One of the best episodes of the BW series.

It's annoying when Iris called Ash a kid for getting excited for the Kanto Festival, but I liked how Cilan told her that she's a kid herself. The Kanto Festival itself was interesting, there even was the Magikarp salesman. It's great to see Prof. Oak and Tracey getting appearance, too bad Tracy didn't get a speaking role but I'm glad he appeared.

Charmander's trainer was cute and the Charmander itself was cool, too bad Charmander hurt itself during showing of it's 'signature move' Ember to the others.

It's great to see Ash explaing the history of Charizard.....one of his strongest Pokémon. The flashbacks from the previous sagas were incredible, all of the scenes from the older episodes looked fantastic in BW style. It's awesome that we got to see all of Charizard's best moments, as well as Ash in his OS and AG outfit. The re-animated scenes were so much better than the outdated original scenes. We got to Primape and Pidgeotto too...... *Sigh* it's a shame that we didn't got a reunion episode with them, but I'm glad they appeared in the anime after so long(even though they only appeared in flashbacks).

Then there were flashback appearances from Damien, Liza and Koga. They all looked cool in their new appearances. It's cool to see the Squirtle, Charmender, Bulbasaur and Pidgeotto in the heartwarming scene from "Snow Way Out!", that scene is one of the best scenes from the Kanto Saga in my opinion. TPCI even kept the same dialougs from the original episodes.

It was surprising when Prof. Oak said that Charizard retured from Charicific Vally to his lab and it's even more surprsing when Ash sent Unfezant to Prof. Oak for BRINGING CHARIZARD IN UNOVA!! It's cool to see Ash sending out Charizard, his roar was epic! It's awesome to see Ash and Charizard finally reuniting after so long.

That fist bump was cool.

I loved how Charizard completely dominated Iris's Dragonite in the battle, it made Ash look like a strong trainer. I really wanted Charizard to defeat Dragonite, but........N stopped the battle! Ugh....why did you do that N? The battle was getting really good and you had to ruin it...meh.

It's hilarious when Iris thought Charizard was Dragon Type! I LOL'd at her facial expression when Ash dexed Charizard and showed it to her. Iris always calls Ash a 'kid' for the simplest things, but in this episode, she's the one who's a 'kid'. Serves her right.

I'm so glad that Charizard is staying with Ash instead of going back to Charicific Vally, it's one of the best things the writers have done to the anime.

I was never the biggest fan of the 4kids voice cast, so the TPCI voices didn't bother me in the flashbacks. All of the characters (except Misty)sounded fine to me.
My only complaint about this episode is Charizard's moveset. Why did the writers replaced Seismic Toss with Slash? Seismic Toss was Charizard's signature move, so it's kinda disappointing to see Charizard not being able to use the move anymore. Other than that, it's an amazing episode.

Just about everything you said about this episode made me hurl.

The reworking of the key scenes made me hurl. Outdated? This new style removed the scenes from how I experienced them, in the way they were presented, it made me feel apathetic to them, while I'm a major OS-fan. The dub made me hurl. Cilan's constant voice made me hurl. Charizard suddenly being at Oak's made me hurl, blatant retcon.. making way for more Charizard-spam in XY, unproven, but undoubtably going to happen. That Fistbump was unnecessary.. He never did it with any of his team before, it doesn't have any value in this series. If you want fistbumps with meaning go watch Naruto.. -.- Charizard having a weak moveset at the apparent end of its training at the Charicific Valley made everything worse. Slash and Wing Attack? You got to be kidding me. Where's Seismic Toss (I know it's removed from the learnset in the games, but this is the animé!)??? We get Dragon Tail instead? Great. So much for that signature move! Oh, and since the trainwreck called Episode N has aired in full, I assume I can get it off my chest that Charizard contributed close to nothing in the end during its cameo that the Unova Team couldn't have handled with a bit of attention and respect. Charizard stole that from them.

Last of all, N's dialogue made me hurl. Good lord I'm glad I never watched Episode N in full. I'm sure I'd have come down with the bloody flux if I endured more of that verbal assault.

All in all, I only really liked Oak and Tracey showing up and getting a shot of Ash's Kanto team (be it in that awful BW-style): 2/100 (not a typo). I regret clicking the link that was floating around a preview I was watching..

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I knew this episode was in for a bunch of flashbacks, and they were good, even re-dubbed, but I have to say my highlight that wasn't a flashback was the surprise background cameo of the magickarp salesman. :D I would have liked it if Tracey had gotten to say something too, but then again if he would have sounded like he did in "Home is Where the Start Is" it wouldn't have been worth it. I did like Cilan comparing the stories of Charizard with Iris's experiences with Excadril and Dragonite. Iris's reaction to learning Charizard isn't part dragon type was funny too. :)

8/10

-chazz-

Pokemon master
I actually liked the episode and all the flashbacks even if they were changed to into BW design

Just a shame Iris and her Axew were in it

For an episode that focused mainly on Ash reminiscing about how he ended up with Charizard, this was a pretty cool episode. :)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I loved seeing all of those flashbacks of Charizard's backstory and it's battle with Dragonite was pretty awesome as well. Iris not knowing that Charizard was a fire and flying type instead of a dragon type was hilarious as well and N was pretty cool in this episode also.
8/10

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Charizard is stronger than ever when he returns, when it was battling Dragonite it felt like it was just toying with it.It's too bad Ash didn't use it in the Unova League, a matchup between Trip's Serperior and Cameron's Hydreigon come to mind.

JudySpell

Banned
Good episode but N annoyed me when he stopped Ash and Iris's battle. I wanted to see Charizard win against Dragonite. 6/10

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I really loved this episode of BW because of how N reassured that Ash and Charizard have a great bond. The battle between Charizard and Dragonite could have ended in a result but I suppose I could understand why it had to be interrupted. The updated flashbacks were also a treat to see as well since I liked some of those scenes back in the OS days!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Aww the Charmander at the festival was adorable and I loved seeing the flashbacks of Charizard's biggest accomplishments as well. Tracy making a cameo was cool too and I liked seeing Charizard vs Dragonite. :]

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Kanto-themed carnival seemed quite random, but I was just satisfied that we saw Okido-hakase again, as well as flashbacks showing Satoshi's Lizardon. The fact that Iris thought that Lizardon was a Dragon-type made me chuckle, and it's a shame that N intervened when Kairyu fought Lizardon.