• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Flint Lights The Fire (633)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I guess the writers couldn't resist an Infernape battle...

Ash should have ued Buizel, Staraptor and Pikachu.

Infernape and Staraptor close combat would have been cool to see.

Vernikova

Champion
When's the last time Buizel actually won a battle? It's been getting beat in every battle for as long as I can remember.

Brumrha

Banned
When's the last time Buizel actually won a battle? It's been getting beat in every battle for as long as I can remember.

His last victory wasn't "that" long ago - it was his rematch against the Elemental Punches Master & his Mr. Mime, but that was only because it rained, & it activated his ability.

Anyhow, enough talk about the past, it's time for the present day!

- Yes!! We've finally arrived at Sunyshore City! For some strange reason, I'd thought that this was the place that the Jetsons would live, seeing as to how the sidewalks are all conveyor belts...
- Ash & the gang make a beeline for the Sunyshore Gym, but much to his chagrin, the Gym is giving away badges to all visiting trainers. That does explain why Paul thinks this gym isn't legit. He might be a punk, but he actually has a brain, unlike some other people...
- Ash demands that the Gym Leader show himself, & the mechanized gym goes psycho on him & attempts to throw him out of the premises.
- Just when Ash is on the ropes, someone frees him! Who would do that random act of kindness?
- That would be Flint, a member of the lEEt four, as well as his Infernape. He just so happens to be a friend of Volkner, & he tells them that he's been slumping around in Sunyshore Tower.
- This time, when I say "slumping around," I meant it, seeing as to how Volkner has completely lost all interest in fighting now.
- He wasn't like that at all in his childhood. He used to be fighting everyone & everything but the kitchen sink. & at one time, he had joined forces with Flint against a poacher & his Houndoom, & won.
- As soon as he became the Gym Leader of Sunyshore, we was too good; he ended up shredding his challengers into little bits. Seeing as to how nobody could rise to the challenge, he became a technocrat, & turned the whole city into a hi-tech paradise.
- That's basically how his Gym started giving away badges automatically.
- In the meantime, TR has plans on taking over the Sunyshore Tower to power the entire TR project line, but James has other issues, like his bottlecaps. He clumsily drops his most valuable one, & manages to get swept away by the Gyms automated clean-up bot.
- To help Ash vent out his frustrations, Flint asks to have a fight with him instead in the gym.
- However, Flint proves that he has definitely earned his spot in the lEEt four by having his Infernape instagib both Ash's Buizel & his Infernape.
- The thing that brought me the most anguish: Buizel forgot Water Pulse. NOOOO!!! Don't forget Water Pulse, you piece of #$^%!!!
- Ash ends up bringing out his Pikachu, which does ring a bell with Volkner, & the restaurateur that is sitting next to him.
- We then find out that the poacher from the past had a scar on his left eyebrow.
- As the fight continues, it brings back memories of Volkner's childhood, almost like it's happening again.
- The restaurateur takes off his sunglasses, & that reveals that same scar that was on the Poacher's eyebrow. That meant that that restaurateur was the Poacher that Volkner & Flint fought in their childhood! *shock! horror!*
- In the end, Pikachu couldn't stand up against Flint's Infernappe, & thus fell victim to his onslaught.
- Regardless of the outcome, it managed to bring out the old Volkner that Flint knows! That's how it's done!

Oh, boy, Ash's team got raped* by Flint & just his Infernape, but seeing as to how Flint is part of the lEEt four, that's not really surprising. Regardless, Ash will now have something to boast over his rivals: he's going to fight Volkner!

*When I've said that Ash's team got raped, I was using that word as a figure of speech as to how badly he got beaten; I didn't mean it literally. So don't flame me over that detail.

Rebeccag

Great episode loved the rivarly between Flint and Volkner and I agree Flints Infernape was a beast but its to be supposed Flint being in the Elite four. I was surprised that the poacher was the cofffee shop guy and now I know why that Barry thought it was awsome and Paul didnt like the 8th gym. Great backstory as well between Flint and Volkner as well nice to go into a bit of history. The 8th gym battle should be good as well between Ash and Volkner

I loved this episode so much. c: I've been waiting for a long time for Ash to get to Sunyshore, and I was actually really impressed by this episode. Flint and Volkner seemed spot on, and I really liked the backstory that was shown- especially that the proprietor of Flint's coffee shop (or whatever that was) was revealed to be the outlaw the Flint and Volkner beat as kids.

The only thing that bothered me is that it seems like Volkner was drawn or colored funny. I don't know, something about him just seemed off.

Still, awesome episode. : D

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Great episode... loved the battle between Ash and Flint

Wow, Ash did not stand a chance against Flints Infernape!
A question about Flare Blitz:
Shouldn't Flints Infernape have been hurt a bit after using it? Isn't that what Flare Blitz does after it's used?

Glad to see that that battle renewed Volkners fighting spirit!
Let's hope Ash does better in that battle than with Flint.

Something I noticed:
Ash did something that hasn't been seen (at least by my recollection) since Battle Frontier. After Infernape Close Combats Pikachu the second time, I believe, Pikachu almost get's thrown into the wall, then Ash comes in to stop Pikachu from slamming into it.

Aurath8

Right, since these last few episode's have all been golden, I've decided to start summarising each one as they come out in the UK, Jupoturu style, starting now!

-Sunsyshore City? Already? It may have been 30 episodes since Candice but that was quick.
-Sunyshore reminds of me of LaRouse of Destiny Deoxys. Conveyor belts and all that.
-Ash n' Co. Go to the BattleSunsyshore Tower.
-But, the security stops him.
-The robots are rebelling aganist mankind. RUN!
-But then, Ronald McI'll be back saves him.
-Volkner is in the the Battle Tower.
-Rabid Raichu!
-Jumps into Flints hands and snuggles up to him. ok...
-Dark-hair Volkner is apathetic to life. emo
-Yawn off to the Barber Shop Quartet Coffee Shop.
-Backstory time yay!
-So Flint and Volkner were best buds until they hit 20. Then Flint travelled the world getting stronger while Volkner beat the crap out of trainers. nice.
-But since Volkner's so awesome he beat every trainer and then built machinesn' stuff in his spare time transforming this place into LaSunyRousshore City.
-Blah, blah. Flint -> Volkner violence. Blah.
-Finally a battle.
-Ash will lose. We all know it.
-Buizel goes out in one. He forgot Water Pulse though. SonicBoom barely hits or does serious damage these ddays but replaces it anyway? FFFUUUU-
-Infernape on Infernape. This was no contest as Ash's Infernape has been one for 2 days but Flint has had Infernape for God knows how many years.
-One thing I noticed is that Flint had Chimchar for at least a decade and Ash had his for a long time before evolution as well. Must mean they're hard to evolve despite evolving first in the games.
-Either way Ash 'Ape goes don without laying a finger on Flint's 'Ape.
-Pikachu is out. OHK... No? He survived a hit. Awesome. Pikachu is back to his former glory. It could take on a Regice.
-Pikachu gets some really awesome parallels to Volkner's. I loved how Volk's and Ash's VoltTackles became one.
-Ash acts exactly like Volk was back in the day.
-O. M. G. Crazy hairstyle, coffe shop man has a truly important role to Volkner's past. He is the poacher that he fought alongside Flint. Scars and all.
-Pikachu finally goes down after 7 hits. This is how Pika should be, lvl. 6 million and putting up a fight against E4s.
-Volkner's got his moxie back. I want the next gym lost. The first rematch lost. The Grand Festival. The second rematch won and a ten episode league.
-Hang on. Flints Infernape had Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Mach Punch and Thunder Punch... Inferno? My Inferno in the anime? *tears swell with happiness* This is just... I'm speechless...I'm typeless even. Oh, the nostalgia of my epic Platinum journey recreated before my eyes. Thank you series writers of reminding me of such a journey.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was good. It was cool to see E4 Flint and Volkner for the 1st time. It was odd to see Volkner having so little care as a Gym Leader. It was great to see Volkner having flashbacks of his battles with his Pikachu during Ash's battle with Flint. Not surprisingly, Pikachu and Buizel were knocked out by Infernape, and Ash lost to Flint. Flint's Infernape is really strong. The Robot ref looked very weird... It was great to see that Volkner finally warmed back up to Gym Battles, and decided to accept Ash's challenge.

81/100

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ah yes, the emo gym leader and the red afro of doom. I have a lot of fun making pokes at the Flint and Volkner (and Flint imitator from the ditto episode) episodes on this one pokemon episode/chat website. Only Marley the zombie trainer (from the Shaymin episode) gets more jokes from me.

Seriously, though, I never had any real interest in Volkner. At least Ash gets him out of his funk that the games established, but I had to agree with Paul on not liking this gym.

5/10

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I really liked this episode.

From Chiisaki Mono playing for the final batlle through the unique role of the poacher turned good, I couldn't have asked for a better gym battle setup.

I love how the City of Sunyshore is Larousse City, and also the dub line where Flint assures Volkner that Ash is a great trainer. Because he totally knows that, having just met him.

NPT

Just a member
This was a cool episode. It was great to see Elite 4 member Flint and Sunnyshore city gym leader Volkner. I guess Volkner lost his confidence after losing, which made him stopped caring about being a Gym Leader.
Flint was too strong for Ash, his Pokemon didn't stand a chance ..... but this battle reminded Volkner of his battles with his own Pikachu.
It's good that Volkner gained his confidence back and he finally warmed back up to Gym Battles.
I'm glad he accepted Ash's challenge for a gym battle.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I rewatched this episode several days ago, and I loved every bit of it! First, I liked the robo security/whatever guarding the Sunyshore Gym - it was funny when it was restraining Ash after he tried to get into the Gym. However, Flint and Volkner were definitely my favourite parts of this episode. I absolutely loved their personalities and it was nice hearing their backstory.

My sister also saw this episode and we were talking about it today - she's a big fan of Volkner's Raichu!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This was a great episode. Loved how much of a jerk Volkner seemed at 1st appearance and the back stories were great. The battle between Ash and Flint was great too. It also makes the hype for Ash vs Volkner really exciting too sinxey Volkner got inspired to battle again. 9.5/10

zhixun

Oba's Goukazaru is simply too insane in the anime. The fighting move best portray what is a real Goukazaru. I think Satoshi's Lizardon will still be no match of Oba's Goukazaru even when Lizardon is shown to be over powered in my opinion.

phanpycross

God-king
I really liked how they kinda tried to mirror Ash and Volkner in this episode, since it really showed how far Ash's character had come at this point.

Flint's infernape was pretty damn overpowered in this episode, even more so than the rest of the e4 IMO.

super cool episode, it almost felt like foreshadowing for Ash becoming as powerful as an e4, and possibly even winning the Sinnoh league.........

10/10.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Great episode, I loved the battle between Ash and Flint. I loved the bgm that played during the Pikachu vs Infernape round, and loved the mirror effect they had going with Volkner's past self and Ash in this battle. I thought it was hilarious how Volkner was portrayed at the beginning of this episode.
10/10

JudySpell

Banned
Flint lived up to his Elite 4 title and seeing Volkner with no passion was frustrating. Also Ash should've just taken a free Beacon Badge. 6/10