1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Flying-Type Team

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by SomeoneIGuess, Mar 31, 2011.

1. SomeoneIGuess

SomeoneIGuess ?Hu Hsilaciryl

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ahh... the Flying type. Immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes but, sadly weak to Stealth Rock...
    However, in a metagame where flying types are increasingly rare, and everything out there might as well be weak to flying, it is a great time to create a flying typed team.

[​IMG]

Thundurus (M) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Grass Knot
    - Nasty Plot
    - Taunt

Thundurus- who else to use as a lead... no one!
    For that 1 turn survivability, a Focus Sash is appreciated. Prankster gives me priority on Taunt, and to a lesser extent, Nasty Plot.
    Thunderbolt- really, there is no better move. it gets STAB, kills off Politoed, blah blah blah. Grass Knot kills pesky Ground types who like to absorb my thunderbolt, and is especially useful for Swampert. Nasty Plot gives me a chance to sweep my opponent's team with my lead, and Taunt... stops other leads from setting up, since what else could ruin a flying type's day than steath rocks?

EVs and Nature:
    252 SAtk for killing stuff. 248 Speed for outrunning base 110s. Timid because Genesect made me lose 2 pokes before... all because i didn't know it's base speed (and after I did, might aswell outrun base 110s while i'm at it).

[​IMG]

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Reckless
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Close Combat
    - Quick Attack
    - Pursuit

My favourite pokemon... Being blessed with Reckless is... a blessing. Recoil caps out at 1/2 of my total HP (correct me if i'm wrong) but most of the time I take less than 1/2 recoil damage. Brave Bird is the attack of choice here since it has recoil, thus benefits from reckless, OHKOs pretty much any sweeper that doesn't resist it, and if it does resist it, brings them into revenge killing range (but then again, my team can't revenge kill other than Staraptor...). Close combat kills Steel and rock types who resist Brave Bird. Quick Attack is used late game when everything is weakened. Pursiuit is handy since Chandelure is just so common. Choice Band is what made my sig believable.

EVs and Nature:
    Jolly lets me tie with base 100s at least, as well as outrunning neutral base 113s like the uncommon modest Serperior. I don't know...
    252/252 because i am THAT uncreative.

[​IMG]
    Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce
    - Earthquake/Taunt

Intimidate>Moxie because it lets me Dragon Dance... which boosts my power! and stuff... like ruining my opponent's physical sweeper. Waterfall and Bounce are both STAB moves, and are an ALMOST unresisted combo, blocked by... Empoleon, Dialga, Lanturn, and Rotom-W. Earthquake takes care of them all except for Wash Rotom whom I have gotten into trouble with before, so yeah...
    However, I do not see the rest as commonly, and, as such, Taunt is appreciated for stopping people from setting up SR.
    Leftovers pairs nicely with Bounce.

EVs and Nature:
    252 Atk lets me hit HARD. 20 HP is a leftovers number, and rest in speed so I benefit more from DD. Adamant because hitting stuff hard is just that important.

[​IMG]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    Ability: Lightningrod
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Agility
    - Thunderbolt
    - Roost
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Countering Electric types with flying types 101: Lightningrod Zapdos
    Agility lets me out run the entire OU tier with my 64 speed EVs, barring base 103s and above with max speed. Thunderbolt is obvious STAB, and it kills crap too. Roost means i get recovery, and it also rids me of an ice weakness temporarily. Hidden power [Ice] completes the infamous BoltBeam Combo- but I still hate Magnezone and Lanturn :(
    Leftovers = Survive.

EVs and Nature:
    192 HP is just there because it's leftover, and also hits a leftovers number (368). 252 SAtk to hit hard, 64 speed outruns jolly scarf Garchomp after agility.

[​IMG]

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Tail
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Thunder Wave

I think i've quoted, posted, and described him enough, but rules are rules...
    Dragon Tail Phazes stuff. Substitute protects me from status and lts me abuse paralysis hax. Roost is the flying typed recover, and Thunder Wave is hax. He's a special wall but might shift EVs around somewhat.

EVs and Nature:
    252 HP and 252 SDef for S defensive purposes, but the spread is always changable.

[​IMG]

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Acrobatics
    - Fling
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Gliscor- Overused literally. Acrobatics Kills stuff after I fling away my Toxic Orb, which poisons Bulky Water types too. Earthquake is STAB, and makes an OK type combination with Acrobatics. Swords Dance because dancing boosts attack, as noted before with Gyarados.

EVs and Nature:
    252 HP and Def with impish. classic.

Overview:
    Flying type teams are awesome, just because I said so, and I got into Semifinals in a tournament just now (lost to some Genosect lead... Thundurus modification from that). It works well, barely losing at all. Everyone is actually playing a part, but I may throw in a Togekiss because I am in need of heal bell/Wish support. Counters include: Ice sharders, pokemon with ice moves which have more than 32 PP, On paper Mamoswine looks exceptional in countering since my physical wall is weak to ice, it can't be paralyzed, and Ice Shard just kills everyone else with it's massive Attack (and CB makes it worse) but its so pathetic I don't see it at all. Fast ice types work once Dragonite is taken out, especially those bulky enough to take a quick attack (simple, no?)
    Outside of that, i doubt anyone can truely counter this team (since I haven't really lost other than that genosect encouter).
    If you have suggestions, they are welcome.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. MudkipsAreAwesome

MudkipsAreAwesome I was there.

Replace Zapdoes' agility with Heat Wave. Why not HP ice on Thundurus?

3. FusionFantastic

FusionFantastic Bio..bio..biology...

Hey Yong Zee we both made our first posts!

Hey thks im changing my starmie to a staraptor!

4. SomeoneIGuess

This isn't my first post...
    Heat Wave + Lightningrod = Illegal
    HP Ice doesnt kill anything thats a lead... and that Thunderbolt won't hit for... 7.5 power more. other than ground which grass knot kills.

5. MudkipsAreAwesome

MudkipsAreAwesome I was there.

When I used a thundurus, he is capable of sweeping ENTIRE TEAMS after 1 plot. Really, grass knot has lousy coverage. It only works to kill hippos. Nasty Plot and HP ice does that too. BoltBeam.

6. SomeoneIGuess

Grass Knot kills more than hippos. It kills Swampert, Tyranitar, Hippos, blah. HP Ice just doesn't have the power... that I require.

Besides that, BUMP. Updated descriptions, Some EVs/Natures, and added animations.

Someone other than my classmates rate this team

7. FusionFantastic

FusionFantastic Bio..bio..biology...

Dude i would shoo away the taunt. ( I know then you will get owned by stealth rock)
    But still get a nasty plot.. still full health? Get another 1.. then bolt beam knot to victory!

8. Haxorusfan

Haxorusfan Dragon Trainer

really good party I've got to say. It sucks cause the only flying spinner is delibard.

9. SomeoneIGuess

D:
    but I get owned by priority, Sandstorm, and i can die since i'm not that fast!
    and them my team is exposed to rocks... which it hates because 4/5 of them have a 2x Rock weakness

@Haxorus: oh... had no idea o_O
    but still sucks since delibird just plain sucks and it takes 1/2 damage from rocks

10. Haxorusfan

Dead Delibard makes me happy and hungry. To stop SR Thundurus needs to taunt and then go for the kill. Then when your opponent tries to set up again (if they switched out) you should have a stong sweeper to Kill that thing

11. SomeoneIGuess

Strong sweeper = Staraptor because it kills stuff when it can. but of course 50% of the time might as well send out gyarados and dance 2x and 6-0 my opponent... just because they are setting up rocks, spikes, toxic spikes (OMG if they did all 3 i would have 6 DDs... overpowered!)

Offtopic: I swear someone downstairs is singing "Time of my life". I dunno.
    Edit: Hot & Cold now. Ok it's from a stereo... D: I think they're having a party

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  12. Haxorusfan

Staraptor is the coolest Bird in the game. Pigeot and Unfezant are lame.