1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) ~ 2003 & 2009

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by The Keyblade Alchemist, Nov 15, 2012.

1. The Keyblade Alchemist

The Keyblade Alchemist Don't even blink!

This is a thread to discuss anything FMA. So, who thought Envy was a girl at first? I know I did?

2. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

I thought it was obvious from the start that Envy was a guy.

3. Charizard Champion#06

Charizard Champion#06 Spiral Warrior

4. The Keyblade Alchemist

Exactly. After I relized the obvious though, it was... Errr... Obvious that he was a guy. Also, what episode does Olivier armstong come in in the 2009 animé? Cause I'm around ep 20

5. Necro101

Necro101 Well-Known Member

I always though it was guy... Never imagined him to be a girl... And Olivier Armstrong comes around episode 33 or 34. And I think it is chapter 64 in the manga's.

RAWK ON

6. The Keyblade Alchemist

Oh, good, I'm close:).

7. Celestial Moth

Celestial Moth Bug-Type Deity

Yeah i thought envy was a girl to.. lol

But i wanna make it clear that i think the original series of FMA was magnitudes better than "brotherhood".

8. The Keyblade Alchemist

Yes, it is. Some people say that BH is better than 2003, because it is modeled after the manga, but here's what I think:
    Manga > 2003 > 2009, but then again, that's only so far.

9. Charizard Champion#06

I like Brotherhood way more. The original had a stronger beginning but the newer one had a much stronger ending I think.

10. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

I like Brotherhood better than the original, though as much as I agree it was a great series I can't help but feel it is overrated.

Also, Mustang should get a spin-off where he just ****s **** up like he did to Lust and Envy.

11. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

No, Maes Hughes needs a spin-off where he just talks about his daughter.

12. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

This would be great too.

13. Charizard Champion#06

14. The Keyblade Alchemist

Yes. This is the only true awesomeness in the world.

15. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

I view the two series as roughly equal; I liked that the original series had a more relaxed pace and gave some lesser characters like Rose and Sheska more focus, while Brotherhood had great characters the original series did not (Ling/2nd Greed, the Brotherhood incarnation of Pride, Olivier Armstrong and the Briggs soldiers) and a better final battle, even if the zombie soldiers were incredibly stupid and Father is a relatively generic shonen villain.

What I do rank Brotherhood as far superior on, though, is surprisingly enough the movie. For all its faults - the weird artwork, long, dragging middle, hilarious ignoring of Roy, unbelievable blood, and relying entirely on new characters - I walked away from The Sacred Star of Milos seeing it as a relatively standard action film that did the conventions it stuck to well. When I watched Conquerer of Shamballa, once it was over I thought these three things in order: "What the **** did I just watch?", "Dietlinde Eckhart is the stupidest villain I've ever seen," "Lost Heaven is an amazing ending theme." I was floored by just how ridiculous the movie was.

16. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

In Brotherhood you can actually see the characters mature. There are so many intricacies that makes Brotherhood better than the 2003 Anime that I can't even begin to list them all. And I really don't get how someone could like 2003's ending more than Brotherhood's. Brotherhood's ending was extremely satisfying, and the closing message about overcoming pain summed up the series perfectly. And the part where
    Al sacrifices himself to give Ed his arm back? And his metal body disintegrates as his soul is reunited with his body? How can such an emotional scene not make you prefer Brotherhood?

17. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Ours is the Fury

Lol I agree, with 15 minute intervals of exaggerated hand gestures

18. Necro101

Necro101 Well-Known Member

Well I liked the ending of Brotherhood better, but I liked how the first one had a fast forward beginning and gave more attention to minor characters. To not make this post too long (and cauz I don't feel like writing it) I will just go strait to the conclusion. Both series had their up and their downs. There was not one of the series, that was better that the other one in my opinion.

RAWK ON

19. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

No, he needs to be in a crossover with Pokemon where he uses himself as one. That was my friend's idea by the way.

Japanese cartoons in general need more hand gestures!

20. Charizard Champion#06

Brotherhood has less downs and more ups. I agree with pretty much everything ForeverFlame said above.

Reminds me of that Koizumi scene in the first episode of Haruhi. Needless hand gestures ahoy!