• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) ~ 2003 & 2009

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Personally, I think that FMA is awful but Brotherhood is one of the best anime series' ever.

BCVM22

I'd start by pointing out to the user in question (the one who read the Wiki) that the original anime outpaced the manga to the point where the story split off into original material, which doesn't make it bad, just different and not a straight adaptation like Brotherhood would later be.

That's just me though.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I'd start by pointing out to the user in question (the one who read the Wiki) that the original anime outpaced the manga to the point where the story split off into original material, which doesn't make it bad, just different and not a straight adaptation like Brotherhood would later be.

That's just me though.
Exactly, it's all personal opinion from reading a description.

My FMA experiences:

Tried watching Brotherhood - got bored.

Tried reading the manga - got bored.

Tried watching the older anime - absolutely loved it for the first 25 episodes but eventually had to quit at the 3/4 mark because it got so bad.

Izanagi

'Sup!
My FMA experiences:

Tried watching Brotherhood - got bored.

Tried reading the manga - got bored.

Tried watching the older anime - absolutely loved it for the first 25 episodes but eventually had to quit at the 3/4 mark because it got so bad.

Could you try to at least explain what you didn't like about it and what you did. Personally, I like both the first series and Brotherhood.

Could you try to at least explain what you didn't like about it and what you did. Personally, I like both the first series and Brotherhood.

Brotherhood and the manga were way too fast and rushed, with little to no time spent on characterisation or giving me a reason to care. Things just happened and that was that. I'm aware that they probably do greatly improve later and I probably will try again but at the time I just couldn't muster the motivation.

The first half of the old anime was brilliant because it made me engage with and care about the protagonists right from the start, and did the same with an expansive cast of supporters impressively quickly afterwards. The stories were always fun, exciting or interesting and above all it created a perfect balance between episodic and arc-based that I've never seen bettered in a show. The reason it went downhill is because it abandoned that perfect balance, making the story just go on and on. Also, and this might be more important, it stopped being about the Elric brothers. Their quest became a framing device for the less engaging stories of Izumi, Scar, Rose etc, who were better off in supporting roles. It sidelined the brothers into becoming minor characters in their own story. And the new story was just boring.

Izanagi

'Sup!
Brotherhood and the manga were way too fast and rushed, with little to no time spent on characterisation or giving me a reason to care. Things just happened and that was that. I'm aware that they probably do greatly improve later and I probably will try again but at the time I just couldn't muster the motivation.

The first half of the old anime was brilliant because it made me engage with and care about the protagonists right from the start, and did the same with an expansive cast of supporters impressively quickly afterwards. The stories were always fun, exciting or interesting and above all it created a perfect balance between episodic and arc-based that I've never seen bettered in a show. The reason it went downhill is because it abandoned that perfect balance, making the story just go on and on. Also, and this might be more important, it stopped being about the Elric brothers. Their quest became a framing device for the less engaging stories of Izumi, Scar, Rose etc, who were better off in supporting roles. It sidelined the brothers into becoming minor characters in their own story. And the new story was just boring.

While I can't vouch for the first anime because the many of the points you make are valid and I agree with. I felt the Brotherhood and manga did a adequate job it balancing it plot and characters. Though there were times where things just happened for the sake of plot and the story does trip into some common shonen pitfalls. However, despite these flaw I still liked the series. So I can say to you is maybe continue watching and if you still don't like it then maybe the series just isn't for it as it was for me.

Necro101

You can't really debate Brotherhood VS the first one because it is all a matter of personal opinion. Someone could dislike Brotherhood because of the fact that they did not explain the minor characters as much, but someone else could like it because it let more time for the main characters. So as I said, I think that it is just a matter of opinion and that there is no seri better than the other one.

Short post, but explains my point of view very well.

RAWK ON

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Personally, I think that FMA is awful but Brotherhood is one of the best anime series' ever.

Blasphemy! I liked them both to be honest. The first series obviously didn't adhere closely to the manga, but it still had a certain charm. Brotherhood was pretty much completely faithful to the source material, which was good as a whole I guess, but it made things really predictable for me since I had already read through most of the manga. At least the first series took creative license and added some twists here and there. Granted, I didn't like the ending much, but overall the series was great in my opinion.

Lugion

I actually liked the ending of the first series. :|

Necro101

I actually liked the ending of the first series. :|

I did not like how Alphonse did not remember anything. That was the biggest disappointment for me. Other than that, I liked the ending. But, I found Brotherhoods one to be more of and lived happily ever after ending with Ed's last transmutation and him getting Alphonse back.

RAWK ON and sorry for the late answer.

Last edited:

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
I knew Envy was a guy going in. These are the kind of things I know going into some anime. (Sometimes it's actual spoilers though, bad habit.) Anyways I think both were above average, but I definitely liked Brotherhood better. Can easily see myself re watch it, but could never see myself re watching the 2003 anime.

Yes, it is. Some people say that BH is better than 2003, because it is modeled after the manga, but here's what I think:
Manga > 2003 > 2009, but then again, that's only so far.

Wait, what? Did Brotherhood do something horribly wrong in adapting the manga?

trident20

ground types
ok ok ok what am i watching.

maybe 4 days ago i began watching fma but i never heard of brotherhood. but the fma im watching is on netflix with like 56 episodes, so am i watching the original or brotherhood.

could someone please explain?

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time

maybe 4 days ago i began watching fma but i never heard of brotherhood. but the fma im watching is on netflix with like 56 episodes, so am i watching the original or brotherhood.

Your watching the original version created in 2003.
Brotherhood, is a remake of the entire original series. I personally believe that the original, the one your watching, is sooooo much better because of the concepts and ideas.

I haven't see FMA original and I don't plan on it. Saw FMA:B and it's not as good as everyone says it is. A decent watch, but don't take too long or you'll get bored like I did.

FMA is the original anime adaptation of the manga. It branches off from the manga's story. FMA Brotherhood sticks closer to the manga and is generally received as "better" than FMA 2003.