• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Foggy Pokémon Orienteering! (844)

JudySpell

Banned
So Bonnie got a glimpse of Xerneas. I wish it had led to much more happening but Bonnie getting lost wasn't that special. 6.5/10

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Summer camp continues as Ash & Co. participate in yet another event on their quest to make it into the Summer Camp Hall of Fame. The campers are tasked with navigating the area in a Pokemon Orienteering competition. It's a dead heat between Team Froakie (Ash & Co.) and Team Squirtle (Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor) before Bonnie and Pikachu wander off in the fog, leaving the two teams to work together to find them.

The highlight of the episode is the climactic action scene in which Ash crosses a ravine with Bonnie on his back while jumping across a pack (herd? school? gang? I dunno) of Drifblim! It's all very exciting until I started thinking with my big boy mind and realized that the rescue didn't require such a risky procedure--it all could've been accomplished with some Vine Whipping from Chespin and Bulbasaur. But hey, we need some action somewhere.

Even though it wasn't meant to be funny, I got a kick out of Ash telling Clemont that he's better at this whole action business. Like "yeah Clemont it is your sister that needs the saving but you aren't exactly built for the action like I am." I dunno, felt like Ash gave Clemont the ol' sandbag there haha. But Ash isn't wrong--he has certainly become a daredevil of sorts, especially in the XY saga. Ash has always been a brave soul but now the writers are really trying to tout him as an awesome action hero, and I gotta say they're doing a pretty good job of it.

Not much else to say here. I've taken a liking to Team Squirtle--they seem like a quality bunch of kids and they're not annoying (that's a plus in my book). These camp episodes have been good so far--the first one and this one were a bit on the boring side but still solid, and the second one was great. Here's to hoping the fourth one tops them all.

Grade: B-

Side Note: Guess we're gonna ignore the fact that Ash & Co. have seen Xerneas before? Argh, I hate the whole "non-canon" thing with these Pokemon movies. Bulbapedia claims that they're all canon but I don't think there's been a certifiably canon movie since the first one...but correct me if I'm wrong! I'd like to know.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Side Note: Guess we're gonna ignore the fact that Ash & Co. have seen Xerneas before? Argh, I hate the whole "non-canon" thing with these Pokemon movies. Bulbapedia claims that they're all canon but I don't think there's been a certifiably canon movie since the first one...but correct me if I'm wrong! I'd like to know.
Lucario and Mystery of Mew is canon because of Ash's aura abilities.

The Arceus movie is canon because Ash recognizes the Arceus emblem/symbol in the Volcanion movie.

The Genesect/Mewtwo movie is also canon due to the movie 16 prologue special creating a link between the show and the movie.

So some movies are definitely canon. Don't know if that automatically makes all of them canon.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Lucario and Mystery of Mew is canon because of Ash's aura abilities.

The Arceus movie is canon because Ash recognizes the Arceus emblem/symbol in the Volcanion movie.

The Genesect/Mewtwo movie is also canon due to the movie 16 prologue special creating a link between the show and the movie.

So some movies are definitely canon. Don't know if that automatically makes all of them canon.
Not just the Arceus Movie but the whole of the Creation Trio Trilogy is canon due to Dawn's Lunar Wing from RoD being present in the main anime as well.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
You gotta love when pokemon are conveniently around to prevent disaster. I enjoy Bonnie, she's a great character, but the drifloon and drifblim happening to be there was a bit convenient. This wasn't as good an episode as the Orienteering episode from season nine, but at least it shows that the XY trio are definitely good friends for the twerps. I liked seeing Xerneas for the first time too, it's one of my favorite legendaries. :)

7/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Eh, "PokeEnteering" was fitting for a Pokemon Summer Camp, and there was quite a bit of competition there for a time. Bonnie getting lost in the fog brought up a somewhat interesting plot, the two rival groups did well at searching for Bonnie and Pikachu.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The orienteering activity was fun and I liked when Serena got scared while crossing the bridge hee hee. Bonnie was lucky to spot Xerneas when she got lost and I admired Ash's bravery when he jumped on the Drifblims.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Which was unnecessary tbh, since her seeing Xerneas didn't even lead to anything. It was almost as if Xerneas was an afterthought.

Well perhaps the writing staff had planned for Xerneas' appearance and Bonnie glimpsing it to be of importance in future episodes and their plans simply got scrapped? ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Well perhaps the writing staff had planned for Xerneas' appearance and Bonnie glimpsing it to be of importance in future episodes and their plans simply got scrapped? ^^;

Even if that's the case, it just shows how poor their planning is. If we had to see Xerneas at all, it should've been in its own special episode, not this summer camp orienteering episode...

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was impressed when Tierno and his Zenigame climbed up those rocks, and it was kind of Satoshi to command Keromatsu to use his foam to cushion Tierno's fall. With all the fog that was in the forest, it was only natural that Eureka would get lost, and I liked how Satoshi braved the Fuwante and Fuwaride to rescue her.

Last edited:

Alloutℯ

Banned
So this episode made me really appreciate how XY strikes a good balance of showing Pokemon across all the regions, not even having a Kanto bias for nostalgia. Just having a good variety of Pokemon both wild and owned by the background trainers, even if Beedrill and Amoonguss end up reprising their typecasting.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Just rewatched this as part of Disney XD's 24-hour Pokémon marathon.

Chespin disappears and reappears randomly. Clemont calls him out to use Pin Missile to spray Ash's Froakie's Water Pulse over the Amoonguss's Spore. Then he doesn't appear in the next scene. Then, he uses Vine Whip on the Drifblim, but doesn't appear in the scene of all of them trying to pull Ash up.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
In a way, this episode's Xerneas subplot felt wasted since we never saw Xerneas show up in front of Satoshi's group in the main anime after this episode, which made the cameo by Xerneas here seem moot.

I think I might've spotted a change in Ash's dialogue. In the original, when he was about to take the leap of faith, he said "it's do or die" and in the dub he said "all or nothing." I'm not sure if that phrase has the same meaning, considering he was risking his life to jump across the other side of the ledge to reunite with his friends. The fact this episode was aired in the U.S. before the Diancie movie should help continuity issues regarding Xerneas's appearance for the audience.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Frankly, I got kind of upset at Citron when we saw Satoshi go to rescue Eureka. I wish Citron had jumped over the flock of Fuwante and Fuwaride instead since Eureka was his sister.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Pikachu is so cute when it's asleep