• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Food/Eating in the Pokemon World

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Or should I say, are carnivorous Pokemon all omnivores? I doubt seemingly herbivorous Pokemon are omnivores.

We've seen multiple entries about Pokemon hunting other Pokemon, and entries about Pokemon eating stuff other then "regular" food(ores, sunlight, etc).

But a lot of those Pokemon have been shown to eat vegetation such as apple

psychicboy

The Mythic Trainer
Well in the anime, all pokemon seem to eat is candy, pokefood, and fruit :p But they don't eat meat because it wouldn't be appropiate for children to see them eating other pokemon. Otherwise I'm sure you would have a salamance on your tail right now >.>

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
well i think CARNIvine might be a carnivore

In the anime at least I'm pretty sure it's been shown eating apples.

But it's entries..

Diamond said:
It attracts prey with its sweet-smelling saliva, then chomps down. It takes a whole day to eat prey.

Pearl said:
Hanging from branches using its tentacles, it looks like a plant. It awaits prey, mouth wide open.

Platinum said:
It binds itself to trees in marshes. It attracts prey with its sweet-smelling drool and gulps them down.

Well in the anime, all pokemon seem to eat is candy, pokefood, and fruit :p But they don't eat meat because it wouldn't be appropiate for children to see them eating other pokemon. Otherwise I'm sure you would have a salamance on your tail right now >.>

The anime has made a few references to hunting. Not actually showing them eating prey, or killing them, but hunting has been referenced and shown.

I'm pretty sure there's others too.

..Yea..

Pretty much half of all Pokemon entries say "prey" in them or involve hunting. If it's not in one game, check another entry.

Last edited:
really the only reason why no pokemon actually eat others is because the last thing nintendo wants is to be sued by some mother who's kid watched a salamence eat a linoone or something

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
It says that Lanturn is a carnivore...he seems to nice to be but hey, we have too many Magikarps around.

Dahweenkster

Dah Weenster Baby!
Hmmm if the pokemon did eat other pokemon on a regular basis...battles would go significantly different versus a sadistic trainer don't you think?

CLEFFA USE METRONOME ON FERALIGATR!

FERALIGATR EAT THE DAMN THING! *CHOMP...GULP*

Cleffa Trainer: OH MY GOD!!!! You monster!!!!

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
I am sure carnivorous pokemon eat other pokemon. What else would they eat? Children? lol j/k.
Now another question, while plant pokemon make their own food through photosynthesis, do herbivorous pokemon like tauros eat plant pokemon?
-;248;

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I wouldn't say all.
All Pokemon eat berries, but only some Pokemon are mentioned to hunt its "prey".

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I wouldn't say all.
All Pokemon eat berries, but only some Pokemon are mentioned to hunt its "prey".

Yes, I agree with this. I would assume most pokemon are herbivores, with the exception of some pokemon such as Salamence, Charizard, and Gyrados. I assume that the reason they don't mention pokemon eating other pokemon in the anime is because it is directed towards children.

herculehastings

Well I certainly remember reading about Ekans feeding on the eggs of Pidgey and Spearow.

I think it's the tame pokemon that start eating vegetarian stuff like Pokeblock. I've a hunch wild pokemon wouldn't go near those things unless they were the weaker types like Rattata or Pachirisu.

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
Pokemon eat Game Freak money.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
I just noticed that now.If pokemon eat meat that means other pokemon die of being hunted down.There can't be any other source of meat except humans in the pokemon world.