• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Food/Eating in the Pokemon World

Dattebayo

Banned
Perhaps only in the wild, they eat other Pokemon. If they are captured by trainers, they'll eat the berries that are given to them.

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
Maybe they eat non-pokemon animals?

Come to think of it, are there "regular" animals in the pokemon world?

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
Maybe they eat non-pokemon animals?

Come to think of it, are there "regular" animals in the pokemon world?

I've seen birds and bugs that weren't pokemon before in the movies and anime. There are also some pokedex entries that make reference to real animals, so I guess there is.

godudette

/me cresselias
Hmm... It would be interesting for another Pokemon to eat a trainer's Pokemon during a battle. Do you think that could possibly happen?

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I would assume that there are real animals in the pokemon world not just pokemon. This could mean that there are fish in the ocean for Gyrados to eat, and that there are just regular bugs to be eaten by pokemon such as Carnivine.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I would tend to say that carnivorous Pokémon are like most carnivorous animals: they will occasionally eat plants (i.e. Berries) if they need the nutrients. For example cats eat grass occasionally to take in nutrients that would otherwise be difficult to obtain, so I would guess that carnivorous Pokémon eat Berries when they require that Berry's effect, e.g. eating an Oran Berry if they're injured or a Rawst Berry if they've been burned by another Pokémon.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
I was going to bring up ekans, but someone beat me to it. x__X

I think it's kind of like how dogs chase after cats naturally, but people also have domestic dogs and cats that learn to get along with each other. From things like Ekans's R/B entry, it doesn't discount that pokemon might prey on each other in the wild... They just aren't going to show it actually happening on a kid's show.

So.. Yes, some of them eat each other. XD
Probably not ALL pokemon, though. Something's gotta be at the bottom of the food chain. :p

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Actually, depending on the species of turtle, it could be carnivorous, herbivorous or omnivorous.

However, isn't Blastoise a Tortoise? Which would be hervivorous, yes.

True, but not even large herbivores live on berries. It's usually (strangely) a whole lot of leaves.

Though considering that most big pokemon move a little faster than their big animal counterparts, fruit would be helpful for that burst of energy.

Pretty much, all pokemon would have to be able to eat fruit, because upping meowth's beauty metre would be a tough job otherwise. I noticed that even things like staryu, magnemite and banette can be fed berries and fruit products ingame. I'm guessing all pokemon eat the same thing ingame, because giving pokemon specific diets would be irrelevant to the main purpose of the game, thus not worth the money.

In the anime, pokemon usually are shown to eat either fruit, or snacks akin to dog food. It's probably because having pokemon eat other pokemon would be awkward, due to the apparent sentience that is shared between species. Thus, people aren't seen feeding their pokemon what is blatantly the product of another beast. However, offscreen hunting in the wild can be referenced to.

I'm sure if people wanted to flesh out Pokemon to be a more realistic phenomenon, they could make pokemon have more specific diets. But seeing as the game isn't a nature game, but rather a role-playing game about collectible fighting monsters, they don't make eating a big part of it.

deoxisthebest

Ice gym leader
I think plant pokemon eat berries(Weepinbell, Victrebell and Carnivine eat bug pokemon); bird pokemon eat little pokemon; dragon pokemon eat pokemon and other pokemon eat berries and pokefood. I think so

Foo Fighter

Nostalgia is my pal
I think plant pokemon eat berries(Weepinbell, Victrebell and Carnivine eat bug pokemon); bird pokemon eat little pokemon; dragon pokemon eat pokemon and other pokemon eat berries and pokefood

What do Humans eat?

Mind****

the answer is no, but many are.

tombux

well feeding a your pokemon well pokemon will get you baned as a trainerso maby the pokefood is like dry dog or cat food?

well feeding a your pokemon well pokemon will get you baned as a trainerso maby the pokefood is like dry dog or cat food?

wth are you talking about man last time i was at the "pokemart" i didn't see any cat food or dog food. *pallet town red version music plays*

na na nana nananana na

*goes to pokemart* NEW DOG FOOD!

*O_O* wait what?

to be continued....

godudette

/me cresselias

Aaaannnnnndddd you know what dry dog food is made of? Horse meat, grain products not fit for humans, other meat... etc.

So, we can go back to the carnivorous aspect again haha

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
Poké Snacks. Poké Spot. Spot Monitor.

Nuff said.