1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

For All Things Gay: Views on Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by Fused, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CSolarstorm

CSolarstorm New spicy version

I think there's a problem with just stereotyping minorities in general. Nobody really wants to be around a stereotype incarnate. Other people might harbor similar racist opinions that they don't like people who are "too black" and so on for other minorities. Just look at Game Change. The truth is some people do act exactly like people expect them to. That may be a small slice of those people, but the group as a whole continue to get judged like that. For example, I'm handicapped, and when some people see me, they automatically think I live on pity and want everyone to do things for me. I know there are probably handicapped people who are like that so I understand. It's still wrong.

But for a group that parades itself and relies on awareness and continual reminders that "we're here" and "accept us" to achieve political influence, their public image comes off as a little assertive, needy, or perhaps insertive and people think of them as a direct affront to their own standards. I think that's what the gay rights movement, in fact, works towards - challenging people's standards. So it's not surprising some people say "We're okay with gays," but add in the clause, "but not people who are TOO gay" because they're already been aggrevated by this campaign. It's like seeing a commercial you don't care about over and over again and having a bad impression of the product. I'm sure a lot more people would be gay rights activists, if not for the difference between caring about people's rights, and accepting the philosophy of it. Some people just aren't willing to change their basic beliefs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Dawn_Hero

Dawn_Hero Written Insanity~

I don't see what's wrong with men or women being gay/lesbian. If it doesn't hurt you, why stick your nose into it? Unless they're specifically hitting on a person who isn't gay/lesbian, then I don't see why anyone has any right to get angry. I understand that Gay/Lesbian Marriage isn't allowed and I understand that, actually. Marriage is something made by churches, so if they aren't for gay rights, why should they allow them to be married? However, I do think Gay/Lesbian couples should be able to get the equivalent of a marriage. I've heard a lot about domestic parternships and the like, and I think it's a good idea. Give them all the benefits of marriage with a different title. It's perfect. No one should be angry over that. Again, it goes back to 1) It doesn't affect you, so you have no reason to make it your business and 2) It's not going against your religion per se, so there's no specific reason to stop them from doing it other than hatred.

Now, I also understand why some people don't want gay/lesbian couples to adopt. It can be hard for the baby growing up with two mothers or fathers, and they'd more than likely be made fun of for it and even discriminated themselves for their parents' sexual orientation. However, if they love that baby like a parent would, why stop them from doing it? If children are made fun of for it, it says more about the children doing it than the child itself. As long as it's loved, that's all that matters.

Finally, discrimination always has been and always will be, especially against Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual people. I heard a rumor (I don't know if it's true or not) that in Virginia, people can actually fire employees if they're gay legally. That doesn't seem right to me. I think people need to learn more about treating others with kindness before Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual people can really hold their heads up high in society. It all comes back to if it doesn't hurt you, stay out of their business.

3. Tim the turtle

Tim the turtle Happy Mudkip

"Instead of being man and wife, you'll be buttbuddies. Instead of being married, you'll be buttbuddied."

4. Dawn_Hero

Dawn_Hero Written Insanity~

Your sarcasm set aside, I don't see what would be bad about that. Call them domestic partners, husband and husband or wife and wife, it doesn't matter what you call it. I just think as long as they get their own version of marriage, that should be alright, shouldn't it? I mean, when actual marriage (from what I understand) is tied to religion, which normally condemns gay rights, then it would be a lot less problematic for everyone to offer it with a different name to please everyone.

5. Fused

Fused Shun the nonbeliever

Marriage entails certain legal aspects that other unions do not include.

But really, it isn't what you call it, it comes down to a matter of acceptance. No one actually gives a flying **** if you call it marriage or not, its a matter of treating gays as every other normal functioning member of society. I know everyone likes to get their panties in a bunch when racism is brought up, however its a perfect example: in the mid-1900s, there were "White Drinking Fountains" and "Colored Drinking Fountains." In the modern age, there is "Marriage" and, in some places, "Civil Unions." It's the case of separate but equal which we all know aren't actually considered equal.

6. Fused

Marriage entails certain legal aspects that other unions do not include.

But really, it isn't what you call it, it comes down to a matter of acceptance. No one actually gives a flying **** if you call it marriage or not, its a matter of treating gays as every other normal functioning member of society. I know everyone likes to get their panties in a bunch when racism is brought up, however its a perfect example: in the mid-1900s, there were "White Drinking Fountains" and "Colored Drinking Fountains." In the modern age, there is "Marriage" and, in some places, "Civil Unions." It's the case of separate but equal which we all know aren't actually considered equal.

7. Jay star

Jay star Coordinator Lover

EXACTLY MY POINT OF VIEW... Didnt mean to have caps on but I think it works lol

Though to be honest Fused makes a very good point...

But at the same time I understand that people think of marriage as a union based in religion, a union between a man and a woman. I guess I can understand people getting all moody about that but I think that there should be a union which gives the exact same legal rights and that should be what all couples outside of religion have.

If your in a religion which marriage is an option, thats what you do. If you arent religious then you have some other form of union, that sounds fair to me, however complicated it sounds lol

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Theres a Blood Drive at my school next week and I think its messed up how gays arent allowed to give blood.

9. Jay star

Jay star Coordinator Lover

lol you mean the way it has a section in the form you sign that says "if your a man fill in the section below" and in that bit it has alot of things saying about if you have done ... well things with another man and how if you tick them you cant give blood, in the womans bit it says if you've done thing's with a man who has done thing's with another man they cant give blood either. I dont get why since they take a small piece of blood to test for infections and sti's and the like.

10. 7 tyranitars

7 tyranitars Well-Known Member

and that makes sence why? :p since HIV and other STD are not only for gay people

11. interstellas

interstellas Banned

What makes them think that only gays aren't allowed to donate blood?
    Homosexual or not, someone is bound to have STD, HIV, etc. in them. ;/

12. houndourm

houndourm a-a-a-awesome

I think 'tis someones life decision if they choose to be gay they can't help who they fall in love with, I think it's ALMOST like the rights for black people they should get it and have every right to the same rights as eveyone else. But they will never be entirely free of descrimination vut I think everyone should be treated equally :)

13. Trainmaster718

Trainmaster718 ORAS is here!

I'm straight myself, and I have no problem whatsoever with gay people. Sure, I spot them out easily in crouds and wonder what led them to make such a life-changing decision, but I never treat them badly.

And as my own little rant, I hate it so much that people stereotype all gays as sex-crazed weirdos. Being gay seems to me like a whole lot more than sex, and you shouldn't imagine that just because they are homosexual, doesn't mean they've had gay sex.

/rant

14. Fused

You can stop wondering. It's not a choice.

15. 7 tyranitars

7 tyranitars Well-Known Member

^perhaps he ment how did they found out/discover did it just happend that they found out
    was it in a instant etc.. <-- don't get this wrong I KNOW it's NOT a choice
    although I'm straight I can imagine it to be hard to accept for some people.

16. Glaziola

Glaziola derp

Whether homosexuality is wrong or not it should not always be the case. But even so, I find it hard to not accept a person for who they are. I just think it's inhuman to shun or shame a human because of their sexuality. LIFE style is an exception. Rapists, Child molesters, etc., are shameful additions to any society.

Unless if you're homosexual or bi, you're never going to know how they feel about Gay rights issues. I'm 100% for Gay rights and I'm heterosexual. As for any situation involving humans being treated unfairly, the saying "take a walk in their shoes", really takes it's toll. People need to grow up and look past the gender and sex of a person, so they can see the one thing that matters: Love.

On a side note, my diabetic friend cannot donate blood. I never have given blood, but I have signed up. They do ask if you have had sex and what not. I still think asking any sexual questions is wrong. They can merely check your blood for disease whether you tell them you've had sex or not.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  17. Alkaide

Alkaide Scary Faerie♥

Well I think it's because some gay people think that bisexuals just aren't willing to admit that they're fully gay. I still haven't decided what I am. I refer to myself as gay when in conversation, but if I'm telling someone for the first time, I'll specify that I'm bisexual. I think I'm way more interested in men than women, and I hardly feel anything for women at all. But every once in a while I'll get this sudden, annoying urge for a girl. It's so annoying, I wish I could just say I was gay, it would be so much easier to explain.

Well, for some gay people, it's just natural. Some people do act like that on purpose, but for others, it's natural. I stand in "girly" ways, but I don't even know I'm doing it until someone points it out. I stand how I stand. And with the talking, I try to keep my "gay-sounding voice" under control, but I really just can't do anything about it. I just naturally speak like that.

18. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of gays or lesbians disliking or hating those that are bisexual. Cultural events are usually promoted as GLBT (Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, and Transgendered) events. When talking about the culture, they're largely the same, regardless of if it's promoting the culture or deriding it.

Straight from the AP:

link

Well, this is disgusting. I think McMillen did everything by-the-book. She went to the school administration first so a prolonged legal battle wouldn't have to occur. They refused to budge and instead of dealing with the situation, the school district took the ball and went home.

This doesn't entirely surprise me though. A brief google search shows a stunning number of cases where schools ban service animals despite federal law saying service animals can go anywhere their owner can go.

And to the fiscal conservatives reading this, remember that the school district will be spending money on a prolonged legal battle (instead of education) on a situation they could've handled with a few minor changes to administrative policy.

19. Fused

"They aren't backwards, they're just religious."

Great message; let's throw all religious junkies under the bus...

i thought guys liked lesbians. I guess it's true - homophobes are gay.

Really not surprising. I mean, sorry South, but you really aren't ones to break the status quo.

I mean, the school district is extremely stupid about cancelling an entire high school prom because of two couples, which will probably increase the hateful climate towards the two lesbians, which could lead to violence and even more lawsuits than what is already being presented. I saw this over at Yahoo! - man, some people are real idiots; one even called these girls as "special individuals calling for special needs." They wanted to go to prom! How is that a special need?

It could be worse though; they could try to remove sexual orientation from the anti-discrimination list which of course would make gays exempt to more bullying in school or students could be expelled for sexual orientation, even if it isn't really their fault or you could have a religious nutjob use false studies to influence an entire country to imprison or execute gays.

But none of that could actually happen right?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  20. iColorfulEevee

iColorfulEevee Lalalala~✰

Same here, but I don't try to keep it under control, I feel soooo much better without trying to be someone I'm not ( not that you are~~ ;3 ), except for in front of my parents... Haven't told them yet...

Ooh!! That's a good one! I never thought of that! xD Thus, I am proud to present you with the Nobel Peace Prize! Also, I don't understand why the government even brings religion into politics I mean its the GOVERNMENT not the CHURCH. If there were more *possibly* crazy religious activists out there we would all be back in the Middle Ages... Making paintings of God and spreading the hate and not the love for people that don't agree with you on everything about religion! Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but y'know what I mean~~

Also I've recently read a story about some policemen who found out that a military sgt. was lesbian by searching in her house ( through windows ) and seeing a same-sex marriage documet. They then intentionally told the military and she was discharged. She was still following the ridiculous "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and she was discharged because some third-party member decided to ruin her life? Seriously, nobody deserves this crap and for the military to discharge her even though she was still following the rules, some messed up world we live in.... Hopefully it'll get better soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.