• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For all things relative to politics.

HoennMaster

Ok I'm confused. When Hillary was confirmed as Secretary of State, 96 members of the Senate voted. She didn't vote, and Al Franken didn't vote since he has not been sworn in, so what about the other two empty spots?

randomspot555

Ok I'm confused. When Hillary was confirmed as Secretary of State, 96 members of the Senate voted. She didn't vote, and Al Franken didn't vote since he has not been sworn in, so what about the other two empty spots?

Just because a vote comes out 96-0 doesn't mean only 96 voted. The "beauty" of the Senate is they can vote however they want by saying whatever or vote to abstain, but only Yes-No votes will go to the total count. It's also possible, given that Hillary was a shoe-in, that someone didn't think it was an important vote and just didn't show up.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
soooo he just closed down gitmo bay.

i'm sure biglutz has something bad to say about that; i mean he always does even if i cant think of something. he literally is sean hannity!

BigLutz

Banned
soooo he just closed down gitmo bay.

i'm sure biglutz has something bad to say about that; i mean he always does even if i cant think of something. he literally is sean hannity!

How didja know?

Bad things: Obama has pretty much sacrificed America's Security for Politics. We already know that 60+ previous inmates of Guitmo who have been released, have gone back and reentered the battle field.

What really scares me, isn't really Guitmo, but the closure of the CIA Black Cells. Prisons that are kept in foreign countries where the worst of the worst go immediately after capture so that information can be gathered about what they know. With out these, he is lowering a key part of the defense of this country that has kept Al Qaeda from attacking again.

And really, that is a fact, that these prisons, especially the CIA ones, have saved lives, they have uncovered Al Qaeda sleeper cells, and they have prevented attacks.

If in 2 years or 3 years from now we have a subway bombing, or another cordinated attack. Obama will have no one to blame but himself, because today he sacrificed security, so that he is more liked by the extreme left, the idiots, and the terrorists who again can proudly say "Take me to my lawyer" when they are captured ( Paraphrasing of actual words by KSM, one of Bin Laden's top Lutenants when he was captured ).

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
On that same topic, somehow I'm just now hearing of Ramos and Compean (two wrongly imprisoned border patrol agents) having their sentences commuted by Bush on his final day. Apparently it was lost in Obamamania, as that's a pardon/commute that people have been loudly clamoring in favor of for two years.

Big border security victory that's going quite unnoticed.

So...is Minnesota even gonna have a second senator by March at this rate?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Senators serve six-year terms, though. Representatives are the ones with two-year terms.

BigLutz

Banned
Just a quick question on the whole shutting down Guitmo thing. But where are we going to put these guys? Federal Prisons? If so let me get this straight, we are putting Arab Terrorist, who many of whom do not speak English, into Federal Prisons.

This can have one of two outcomes, neither seem good.

A: The most likely case, is that these guys are going to get raped ( both figuratively and literally in Prison ). The worst thing that happened to most of these guys is being humiliated by having panties on their head, or subjected to loud rap music. To say these guys will be target number one for rapes, beatings, and brutal attacks is a understatement, by some of our worst prisoners who will target these guys not only for being terrorists, but for just being Arab.

B: The less likely is that you dump many of them together in one prison, will allow them to start forming their own sort of gang as we see happen in many prisons. Having a "Terrorist Cell" being formed inside of a Prison doesn't sound too safe to me.

Last edited:

CabbyFish

It's B and it's W...
Just a quick rundown, The Cook Political Report happens to have a poll map of all the senators up for election in 2010, but a few of them are incorrect.

Whoa, NY's seat was updated already. For those who don't know, New York Governor David Paterson appointed Representative Kirsten Gillibrand to replace Hillary Clinton in the senate. They also seem to have fixed most of the senate errors.

Remaining Errors:

IL - Senator Barack Obama, should be Roland Burris
DE - Senator Joe Biden, should be Ted Kaufman, open race, 2010 special election
MN - Senator Norm Coleman, should be To Be Determined until a winner in the race is declared.

Though not an error, Senators Bernard Sanders of Vermont and Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut have only parentheses when labeling party affiliation rather than having an I in the middle to represent the fact that their independents.

One thing that's going to be interesting about next year's senate races is whether the prospects of the Democrats reaching a 60 seat filibuster proof majority can be achieved and whether the Republicans can reshape their image and progress forward with electable candidates.

Speaking of the minority party, they elect a new head next week. The DNC's is Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia. I've also heard the Dem's "50 state strategy" will remain with Kaine's appointment.

Last edited:
We might, we might not. Depends on how the next few days play out.

No, 2012 is our next senate election.
Oh, duh. How stupid of me. For some reason I thought all Senators and all the House members have elections next year, when it's just all the House and some senators.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Just a quick question on the whole shutting down Guitmo thing. But where are we going to put these guys? Federal Prisons? If so let me get this straight, we are putting Arab Terrorist, who many of whom do not speak English, into Federal Prisons.

This can have one of two outcomes, neither seem good.

A: The most likely case, is that these guys are going to get raped ( both figuratively and literally in Prison ). The worst thing that happened to most of these guys is being humiliated by having panties on their head, or subjected to loud rap music. To say these guys will be target number one for rapes, beatings, and brutal attacks is a understatement, by some of our worst prisoners who will target these guys not only for being terrorists, but for just being Arab.
*shock-horror* Would you believe that? Not only are there messed-up people in prison, but some of them might also be RACIST! What is this world coming to? I remember the good old days when Arab terrorists and American child-rapists could share a prison cell in peace but those days are long gone now that scary computer games and red food colouring are being fed to children!

I simply don't understand why you suddenly have sympathy for these potential rape victims when just weeks ago you were adamant that these people were bent on destroying peaceful civilisation as we know it. Not that I'm promoting rape or anything, but why do you suddenly care? Or are you worried that the American prisoners might hurt their dicks or something =/

Not only that, but its fairly widely accepted that Guantanamo wasn't the friendliest prison atmosphere in the world so at worst, I'm sure it'd be an improvement. Also, I'm not sure why you get the idea that a federal prison for convicted terrorists would be a particularly social place to live in the first place....

B: The less likely is that you dump many of them together in one prison, will allow them to start forming their own sort of gang as we see happen in many prisons. Having a "Terrorist Cell" being formed inside of a Prison doesn't sound too safe to me.
It's not favourable no but assuming one developed, it couldn't exactly DO much could it? It's hard enough as it is to get the resources necessary to pull of a terrorist attack, why do you think being in a totally isolated environment like a prison presents more of a risk?

BigLutz

Banned
*shock-horror* Would you believe that? Not only are there messed-up people in prison, but some of them might also be RACIST! What is this world coming to? I remember the good old days when Arab terrorists and American child-rapists could share a prison cell in peace but those days are long gone now that scary computer games and red food colouring are being fed to children!

Brings a tear to my eye.

I simply don't understand why you suddenly have sympathy for these potential rape victims when just weeks ago you were adamant that these people were bent on destroying peaceful civilisation as we know it. Not that I'm promoting rape or anything, but why do you suddenly care? Or are you worried that the American prisoners might hurt their dicks or something =/

Who ever said I had sympathy for them? But if Democrats and Liberals are going to scream about how Guitmo is mistreating prisoners, and hurting our image around the world. Throwing them into a prison full of racist murdering thugs that have nothing to live for ( Granted the prisoners in Guitmo mainly consist of Racist murdering thugs ). Would be a incredible culture shock that would do more damage than good.

Not only that, but its fairly widely accepted that Guantanamo wasn't the friendliest prison atmosphere in the world so at worst, I'm sure it'd be an improvement. Also, I'm not sure why you get the idea that a federal prison for convicted terrorists would be a particularly social place to live in the first place....

Compared to American Prisons, Guitmo is a pent house. The amount of things that was placed in there for the comfort of the prisoner was mind boggling. From Donuts, to Movies, to High Def TVs, Language Courses, do you think they would get the same things in a regular federal prison?

It's not favourable no but assuming one developed, it couldn't exactly DO much could it? It's hard enough as it is to get the resources necessary to pull of a terrorist attack, why do you think being in a totally isolated environment like a prison presents more of a risk?

Who knows what they could do, personally I would rather not take the chance.

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned

Well I have no soul so I don't particularly mind whether their living conditions become harsher or not in all honesty.

My issue with Barack Obama closing Gitmo is that I don't believe he really thought over the whole process. It seemed to me like he was more bowing to political pressure and his campaign promise rather than fully examining the situation. First off, as has been brought up, where are all these people going to go? Yes I suppose federal prisons are an option however none of this has been mentioned. He could have at least afforded the American people the courtesy of explaining.

Not only is he closing gitmo, but all interrogation is being done via the guidelines of the army field manual which prohibits any coerced or forceful, even "unpleasant" interrogation techniques. I am not just talking about water boarding. This would include any punishment or negative reinforcement as well, which is stepping over the line. "Unpleasant" could include anything such as raising your voice for that matter.

Well, Kirsten Gillibrand replaced Hillary Clinton today in the Senate. I think Republicans should at least be okay with that choice, seeing as she comes from a very red district and is fiscally conservative. Obama has closed Guantanamo Bay, and I didn't pay much attention, but he's been reversing executive orders on abortion restriction issues. and I think the gay and stem cell issues will be coming next. Clinton seems to be in top gear with being SoS, and it looks like the economic stimulus plan will be up for vote in February.

BigLutz

Banned
Well, Kirsten Gillibrand replaced Hillary Clinton today in the Senate. I think Republicans should at least be okay with that choice, seeing as she comes from a very red district and is fiscally conservative.

A fiscally conservative, pro gun Democrat? Its a... unique choice to say the least.

Obama has closed Guantanamo Bay, and I didn't pay much attention, but he's been reversing executive orders on abortion restriction issues. and I think the gay and stem cell issues will be coming next.

Today seemed to be the Trash News day for Obama, which is typical for any administration. That being said, on the first week repealing a act which stops money from being used on overseas abortions, especially in a economic crisis. Just seems kind of unnecessary at the moment when we are already trying to find the money just to pay for bail outs.

Clinton seems to be in top gear with being SoS,

She really is doing a great job right now, especially with everything she has been handed.

and it looks like the economic stimulus plan will be up for vote in February.

Ugh... I really am dreading this thing. Nearly a trillion dollars, and they cannot even promise a single job. Not to mention a majority of the money will not even be used for four years! By that time the entire crisis could and hopefully will be over with.