• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For all things relative to politics.

BigLutz

Banned
Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

Apparently declaring a war on business wasn't enough for Obama. Which by the way we are now hearing that American Businesses are moving to low tax Switzerland. But now Obama seems to have declared war on our Military.

PERSONA

colour spectrum
Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

Apparently declaring a war on business wasn't enough for Obama. Which by the way we are now hearing that American Businesses are moving to low tax Switzerland. But now Obama seems to have declared war on our Military.

... and our cigarettes.

randomspot555

... and our cigarettes.

That is a tax increase I don't have a problem with. It's completely avoidable if one doesn't smoke or decides to stop. Non-smokers will never have to pay for this tax, at all.

And it doesn't look like the vet-thing would even make it out of committee. Considering elders are the most likely to vote, Congress would never entertain the idea of slashing benefits for a military while ours is relatively stretched.

ccangelopearl1362

A war on American business, or a war on the American military? A war on American business... or a war on the American military? The Wall Street Journal's Daniel Henninger may have an answer at least for the former, and if "The Obama Rosetta Stone" is accurate, then this answer I find even more ominous than a presidency of radicalism.:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123681860305802821.html

Henninger describes a chart titled "Top One Percent of Earners Have Been Increasing Their Share" and attributed to one Thomas Piketty and one Emmanuel Saez, French economists who specialize in "earnings inequality" and "wealth concentration". The chart is below.:

[IMG139]http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/ED-AJ149B_wl031_NS_20090311212421.gif[/IMG139]

As it turns out, Piketty and Saez's argument for raising taxes on the rich is moral, not economic. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg may opine that these tax increases are pointless when even the rich are losing wealth, but I would disagree. The economy was a merely a secondary priority to Obama's spendulus, er, stimulus strategy's primary goal, "a massive re-flowing of 'wealth' from the top toward the bottom, to stop the moral failure they see in the budget's 'Top One Percent of Earners' chart". Henninger made the argument that Obama's administration would be "A Radical Presidency", but now, it's more than that. Barack Obama is going to have a presidency of retribution -- or, dare I say it, revenge -- against American business for that perceived moral failure. I would not be surprised if this retaliatory way of thinking extended to America's military for what Obama perceives as a moral failure on America's part.

BigLutz

Banned
Russia weighs Cuba, Venezuela Air Bases

Russia could use bases for its strategic bombers on the doorstep of the United States in Cuba and Venezuela to underpin long-distance patrols in the region, a senior air force officer said Saturday.

"This is possible in Cuba," General Anatoly Zhikharev, chief of the Russian air force's strategic aviation staff, told the Interfax-AVN military news agency.

Zhikharev said Cuba had a several air bases equipped with the long runways needed by the heavy bombers and said the facilities there were "entirely acceptable" for use by the Russian aircraft during long-distance patrols.

"If the will of the two states is there, the political will, then we are prepared to fly there" to the bases in Cuba, the agency quoted Zhikharev as saying.

The general also said that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez had offered to let Russian strategic bombers use a military airfield on La Orchila island, a military base off the west coast of the country.

Looks like Russia decided to take up the Joe Biden Challenge (A nation would test Obama), now the ball is in their court...some how after the past few weeks that isn't very assuring.

Come on if this doesn't spark discussion NOTHING WILL!

ccangelopearl1362

Looks like Russia decided to take up the Joe Biden Challenge (A nation would test Obama), now the ball is in their court...some how after the past few weeks that isn't very assuring.

Come on if this doesn't spark discussion NOTHING WILL!

I was really afraid of this. I don't know about you or any other political junkies on the Serebii Forums, but at the moment, I'm wondering if Americans are primarily focused on their bank accounts, 401(k)s, and other investments, so that they don't even care that their country's enemies are on the move. Of course, given this global economic downturn -- and Russia's coming population collapse -- these air bases may not necessarily hold up for too long, but that assumes that we're looking ahead at the next 10 years rather than, say, the next 10 weeks. To quote Ed Morrissey, with my emphasis, "It took John Kennedy more than a year to precipitate a military standoff with the Soviet Union over Cuba in the 1962 missile crisis. It’s taken the Obama Amateur Hour less than two months.". With Russia and China challenging America's military and the Organization of the Islamic Conference demanding an end to all criticism of Islam, freedom is undeniably under attack, as it has been. I may be sensing a counterattack on the part of those who still want to be free, but the clock is ticking.

BigLutz

Banned
And it doesn't look like the vet-thing would even make it out of committee. Considering elders are the most likely to vote, Congress would never entertain the idea of slashing benefits for a military while ours is relatively stretched.

That may be true, but as of today, Obama apparently is planning to go through with the plan.

Yahoo News said:
The leader of the nation’s largest veterans organization says he is “deeply disappointed and concerned” after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

“It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan,” said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. “He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it.”

The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, “This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ‘ to care for him who shall have borne the battle’ given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm’s way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America’s veterans!”

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group’s early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, ” There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran’s personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable.”

Meanwhile Mexico is adding tarrifs onto 90% of US imports because of the trade war started by the Obama Admin when he signed the Omnibus bill.

Hey Carlisle, is this nightmarish enough yet for you? Or do you need more proof of Obama's incompetence?

ccangelopearl1362

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/16/american-legion-commander-angered-after-meeting-obama/

So much for buffoonery by itself. Only eight weeks after Inauguration Day 2009 -- which increasingly looks like a day of calm before a four-year storm -- my conclusion that Barack Obama will have a presidency of revenge has been confirmed. If I were an American affairs advisor for Ayman Al-Zawahiri or a colonel in the Islamic Revolutionary Guards-Quds Force, then as soon as I realized the significance of this story and added it to every other major news item coming out of Washington, D.C., I would without any doubt be doubled over in laughter. Speaking of which, I can hear the laughter of derision from my favorite early 21st century tyrants, from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Kim Jong-Il, even as I type this.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nligvgv3Rfw

Of course, this bit of news would be astonishing by itself, but mere moments ago, I remembered that this Friday will be exactly six years since Operation Iraqi Freedom began. Barack Obama came to office promising "hope and change" from George Walker Bush's supposed divisiveness, including this theatre of the global counterjihad. It may be just as well that I supported John McCain and Sarah Palin last November, but perhaps that'll be another story. If this attempt to make military veterans pay for service-related injuries with their own private insurance holds up, then may God watch over America -- now more than ever.

BigLutz

Banned
Obama forces GM Exec to resign

Expect this to be leading the news tomorrow. Unlike AIG, the US Government has no control over GM and has no ability or right to tell a company who should or shouldn't be controlling it. Not only does this move set a dangerous president, but the President telling and getting Execs to resign at his whim is more damaging to this nation, and to the ideals that it was founded on than anything since the McCarthy Trials.

I do wonder, since this topic was on the second page. Where are the Obama supporters? Where are all those who said McCain was just another Bush and we couldn't have that? Because Obama for the last three months has been a failure, and I would dare say he has provided the worst 100 days of any President in US History. His poll numbers are dropping like a rock, he makes one horrible decision after another, and suddenly you guys are no where to be found?

What's wrong? Too embarrassed of the guy? Or do you now regret voting for what could be the Worst President in Modern American History?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Been a while since I crept in here, but the immigration topic has re-entered the picture lately, thanks in part to our two Washington lovelies - Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton.

For those who missed it, Nancy Pelosi held a meeting the week before in front of several groups of immigrants. First she addressed the groups as being very patriotic (perhaps she thinks they're more patriotic than our troops). But the big spiel rolled around when she went off on a rant about raids of work sites that hire and house illegal immigrants in this country. She blasted the idea of deporting these people in the middle of the night, calling it "un-American". No surprise, this was to wild applause. Indeed, apparently enforcing our own laws is a treasonous act.
http://mystateline.com/content/fulltext/?cid=53491

Of course, Hillary Clinton's recent trip to Mexico makes for a nice follow-up, as she blames both nations for drug cartel violence. It's true that our border security system has been in ruin since Day 1, but last time I checked, the drug cartels are not coming from the United States. She claims that enstating further assault rifle restrictions will help, seeing as how we're such an awful influence. Obama's stance on the issue is far from any help, who promises to give Mexico additional funds to curb the violence. But we've tried it before and Mexico has not stopped a thing, and our taxes are paying for it. You see, any time an issue regards our country in any form, it must be our fault and we need to apologize for it by punishing ourselves. Or in this case, completely disarm ourselves.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7966427.stm

I'd better memorize the Mexican national anthem. We may be needing to recite it on a regular basis soon.

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
What's wrong? Too embarrassed of the guy? Or do you now regret voting for what could be the Worst President in Modern American History?
Lutz, you have to remember that there were no Nazis in Germany when Berlin fell, not a single one.

I also really have a problem when illegal immigrants (yeah we have a problem with 'em up here too) just come into your country by the truckload, and steal our jobs (Every single winery in my area is full of Mexicans and East Indians without passports or a single piece of Canadian ID, and now I'm out of work) then the government repeats statements like Pelosi's. I believe it is time for the governments of Canada and the US to start enforcing our sovereignty, because if we don't, there will eb more illegals than legal immigrants.

ccangelopearl1362

Expect this to be leading the news tomorrow. Unlike AIG, the US Government has no control over GM and has no ability or right to tell a company who should or shouldn't be controlling it. Not only does this move set a dangerous president, but the President telling and getting Execs to resign at his whim is more damaging to this nation, and to the ideals that it was founded on than anything since the McCarthy Trials.

I do wonder, since this topic was on the second page. Where are the Obama supporters? Where are all those who said McCain was just another Bush and we couldn't have that? Because Obama for the last three months has been a failure, and I would dare say he has provided the worst 100 days of any President in US History. His poll numbers are dropping like a rock, he makes one horrible decision after another, and suddenly you guys are no where to be found?

Unprecedented? Astonishing, perhaps? Try nominating as the legal advisor to the State Department a man who believes that "judges should interpret the Constitution according to other nations' legal "norms."", "the United States constitutes an "axis of disobedience" along with North Korea and Saddam-era Iraq.", and that former President George Herbert Walker Bush abused international law to justify launching the Persian Gulf War of 1991. It certainly doesn't help that Harold Koh also believes that getting policies right is more important than getting the legal reasoning right.:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0330200...ts/obamas_most_perilous_legal_pick_161961.htm

Ten weeks into President Barack Obama's administration, I find myself unsettled, to say the least, and I still remember that Stratfor prediction that events would start to get interesting around the world in either late March or early April. I'm going to guess that North Korea will be the first demonstration of that prediction, and I still have an eye on Turkey's resurgence -- among other undercurrents in the Islamic world -- but I trust that all of you can decide exactly what I mean.

Last edited:

randomspot555

They ceased to be a private company run by it's owners when they accepted billions of dollars of federal money. When states except federal money for projects like highways and education, there are strings attached. Why should a company be any different?

This isn't some poor private company getting tossed around. This is something that, without this federal money (according to GM, Chryler, the banks, insurance giants, etc...), the company would fail.

If GM or any other company doesn't like the government telling them what to do, they're free not to accept any tax payer money.

Now if this really was some private company that the feds shoved out of office, you'd be right to be outraged. But to expect the government to cut blank checks with no restrictions to companies who can't run themselves is nothing short of ludricous.

(Now if we should've givven them this money in the first place is another topic; but the government did, so the government has the right to call the shots).

BigLutz

Banned
They ceased to be a private company run by it's owners when they accepted billions of dollars of federal money. When states except federal money for projects like highways and education, there are strings attached. Why should a company be any different?

Well there is a difference between accepting Federal Money, and being owned by the Government. The Government can loan out Federal Money and say "This is what you have to do" but there is a bit of a difference from the Government saying "If you want the money you need to come up with a plan to be cost effective" and "If you want the money you and the board must resign". It would be like Obama telling states "If you want the money, the Governor and the Congress of your state must resign." It just is not his place.

This isn't some poor private company getting tossed around. This is something that, without this federal money (according to GM, Chryler, the banks, insurance giants, etc...), the company would fail.

And they absolutely should fail.

If GM or any other company doesn't like the government telling them what to do, they're free not to accept any tax payer money.

You must have missed the news of Tax Cheat Tim saying he wanted the power to force Companies to be nationalized if they are deemed "To big to fail"

Now if this really was some private company that the feds shoved out of office, you'd be right to be outraged. But to expect the government to cut blank checks with no restrictions to companies who can't run themselves is nothing short of ludricous.

I do expect them to place restrictions on it, and they have done it. There is a difference between laying down rules and restrictions, and overstepping the bounds and firing CEOs.

Now the question should be, should they place outlandish restrictions on it? Personally I think not, the Government has absolutely no idea how to run a Private Company, they have failed miserably when they do try to do it, and of course Obama who has absolutely 0 Business experience shouldn't be dictating what a company should do to get back into profitability.

Also mind you it wasn't the CEO that brought them into this mess, but the Union contracts that made GM more of a Health Care Provider than a Car Company.

(Now if we should've givven them this money in the first place is another topic; but the government did, so the government has the right to call the shots).

The Government has the right to tell them that they need to fix the company to become viable if they want the money. They do not on the other hand have a right to decide as to who is and isn't fired.

Last edited:

CabbyFish

It's B and it's W...
Well, the special election held to replace Senator Kirsten Gillibrand on Tuesday is still in limbo due to the close results, several counties having yet to re-canvass, and about 10,000 absentee ballots at max yet to be counted.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/absentees-will-decide-upstate-election-but-not-soon/

Arlen Specter is already attacking his most prominent primary challanger.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0409/Specter_attacks_Toomey_in_early_campaign_ad.html

Chris Dodd's Senate seat hits "Toss Up" by Cook Political's standard.

http://www.cookpolitical.com/senate

If this is something I'm allowed to ask, it's about Mark Parkinson. When Kathleen Sebelius resigns to become Health Secretary, Mark Parkinson will succeed her as governor. He has already stated that he will not run for governor in 2010, but has he said anything about a possible senate run?

Wow, I haven't visited this section for the longest time! Thank goodness school finally ends next month.

It is April now, and Obama has been president since the middle of January. I still stand firm that his presidency so far has been going well. And hmm! What is all this talk about...the economy picking up?! Now, don't get me wrong, I know the economy is still pretty terrible, but it is nice to hear that things aren't going as horrible as they have been lately. Here are just some issues that maybe we could discuss:

-Iowa has legalized gay marriage
- Two other Northeastern states (Vermont and NH, right?) are trying to get it legalized.
-Obama is going to get rid of the Defense of Marriage Act and Don't Ask, Don't Tell
-Obama is going to lift the travel ban that restricts us from going to Cuba
-North Korea and it's missle launch

BigLutz

Banned
It is April now, and Obama has been president since the middle of January. I still stand firm that his presidency so far has been going well.

I would love what ever you are smoking, or what ever blinders you have on to make you think this Presidency is anything but a disaster.

And hmm! What is all this talk about...the economy picking up?!

Yep and with the Stimulus money still in the banks. You know it could be that...Gasp the economy would have fixed itself all by itself? Of course Obama in all his stupidity is setting us up for a massive set of inflation followed by another depression.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know the economy is still pretty terrible, but it is nice to hear that things aren't going as horrible as they have been lately.

Wait till around 2011 when all the banks decide to pull the money that the Government gave them all at the same time. Massive Inflation with a horrible debt. But hey Carlisle thinks Obama is doing a great job as he sends our country spiraling into a crash.

-Iowa has legalized gay marriage

Done inside of the courts where it shouldn't have been done. You have just given Iowa a Religious Conservative during the Republican Primary. Hope you don't mind Sarah Palin for President in 2013.

- Two other Northeastern states (Vermont and NH, right?) are trying to get it legalized.

Hopefully they will allow it to be brought to a vote by the legislature or the will of the people.

-Obama is going to get rid of the Defense of Marriage Act and Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Not any time soon.

-Obama is going to lift the travel ban that restricts us from going to Cuba

And Florida becomes solidly Red for the next ten years if not more. Are Democrats trying to lose in 2010 and 2012?

It’s 3 am… the phone is ringing...

Last edited:

ccangelopearl1362

(sweatdropping very nervously) Uh... funny that you should mention that missile launch. According to Reuters, that missile just went up. I began seeing the headlines pouring in at the top of the hour, my time.:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090405/wl_nm/us_korea_north_58

All of you can guess that I was seriously afraid that this would happen. Hopefully, the Japanese are able to shoot that thing down as we continue posting here from... well, wherever we are around this world.

BigLutz

Banned
All of you can guess that I was seriously afraid that this would happen. Hopefully, the Japanese are able to shoot that thing down as we continue posting here from... well, wherever we are around this world.

CNN International is reporting that Japan through NHK that the Rocket fell somewhere in the Pacific.

Anyone else getting that Hillary Commercial in your head, you know "It's 3 am, the phone is ringing..."

Ethan

Banned
I find it comical. Let's not bullshit eachother about this. Me and all of you know nothing is going to be done over North Korea. The U.N. will probably whine and gripe about how they are violating the treaty, then decide to do nothing. Surprise surprise. The only way we could get NK into submission would be to convince China to cut off their aid to NK, but that's not going to happen. Any "warning" from any nation at this point is a bunch of hot air. Lord knows they aren't going to do shit.