• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For or against represent fing LGBT in Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnshucker12

For or against represent fing LGBT in Pokémon

Are you for or against representation of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, or Transexuals in Pokémon?

Me: For

Love diversity. I just just like obsessing over it, I don't know. It's an interesting topic for me.

https://m.imgur.com/t/rainbow/OmeHW

LadyTriox, be careful. You might not want to read this thread.

Last edited:

ruxy_100

As a gay player, I am all for more inclusiveness in games.

In terms of the main characters, I don't think it's much of an issue in Pokémon. None of the characters react to each other in romantic ways. But it would be nice to have some same-sex couples/families, or other diverse characters in houses etc

Bananarama

The light is coming

Cíconne

Banned
We definitely need LGBT representation in Pokemon and any blasphemy toward diversity and LGBT inclusion should not be tolerated. Bigoted acts of bigotry by bigots with bigoted hate speech toward LGBT representation should not be condoned. Words are violence. Words have power.

jnshucker12

I think this should happen as soon as possible. As a trans person, it would be pretty cool to see some LGBTQ representation in the games.

Also, apparently they've already done this:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/pokemon-karate-king-e.jpg

I'm aware of the supposed transexual in X&Y.... Well, she is transexual, but six months isn't long enough for a real surgery process... I get that's not what matters, but.... SHE HAS..... breasts.

Meanwhile I wonder why a woman can't be a Karate King or Queen, or Black Belt.

I'm for free speech. So yes...

Last edited:

Scammel

As a gay player, I am all for more inclusiveness in games.

In terms of the main characters, I don't think it's much of an issue in Pokémon. None of the characters react to each other in romantic ways. But it would be nice to have some same-sex couples/families, or other diverse characters in houses etc

This seems the right approach to me. I suspect some people want to see characters who are entirely defined by their sexuality, which seems counter-productive to the goals of representation.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’m for it. The LGBT community is really underrepresented in video games. Very few appear and if they do then they are usually minor or non playable characters or villains.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
There are a couple I can think of. Like the one Day Care "Matron" on the Ferris Wheel in Nimbasa City who is actually a cross-dressing male, and the Black Belt who became a Beauty. And I do appreciate that there have been efforts made to give gender equality to various trainer classes that used to be primarily one gender, such as Hikers.

As a bisexual furry, I'm always for representation of the LGBTQ community.

jnshucker12

There are a couple I can think of. Like the one Day Care "Matron" on the Ferris Wheel in Nimbasa City who is actually a cross-dressing male, and the Black Belt who became a Beauty. And I do appreciate that there have been efforts made to give gender equality to various trainer classes that used to be primarily one gender, such as Hikers.

As a bisexual furry, I'm always for representation of the LGBTQ community.

There are female hikers now?

reedcollins

ReginaRegina
I'm glad they've made measures to start to integrate the LGBT into the games, I'm a lesbian and representation is never a bad thing, even if it is just a little bit! Hopefully in later games they're incorporate LGBT characters more! I know there are theories that Shauna is bi, as people think she flirts with your character in X/Y no matter your gender. I also kinda ship Moon and Lillie in the gen 7 games tbh.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
More diversity is great. Hinting at characters in the Pokemon universe being lgbt is a step in the right direction. Hinting that a character is somewhere on the autism spectrum would also be a good idea if done properly. I had this idea for my made-up region where the professor is mildly autistic, but also in a wheelchair and makes subtle hints about himself being gay. Having a character who is all three might be overdoing it a bit.

But as for making it more obvious, I'm neutral to LGBT in Pokemon. It has to be subtle and ultimately up to fan speculation, at least for now.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
More diversity is great. Hinting at characters in the Pokemon universe being lgbt is a step in the right direction. Hinting that a character is somewhere on the autism spectrum would also be a good idea if done properly. I had this idea for my made-up region where the professor is mildly autistic, but also in a wheelchair and makes subtle hints about himself being gay. Having a character who is all three might be overdoing it a bit.

But as for making it more obvious, I'm neutral to LGBT in Pokemon. It has to be subtle and ultimately up to fan speculation, at least for now.
Well I'd prefer if they did those all with different profs. We don't need one prof who's in a wheelchair, gay, and autistic while all the others are without any special traits. I think they should take it one issue at a time for simplicity sake :p But I would love if they slowly introduced profs or just main characters like that!

I still think ilima is super gay, only he's def a ***** gay who thinks he knows everything :p lmao and honestly Max could have had autism and I wouldn't have been surprised. Max is one of my favorite characters, HE JUST DIDNT GET A DAMN POKEMON! So I liked him but he needed a pokepal of Mays or something.

As you mentioned pokemon also, I'd just prefer they went the neutral route again also. These fem/masc pokemon are coming off really border misogynist. Or is it non-misogynist because they're letting them be both genders still? Idk in actuality if it is but I don't really like it as much as like the first three gens. I'm no SJW but I still like things to be neutral, fair, and non-polarizing.

Scammel

Representation is great. Undertale always struck me as a game with great LGBT representation, where the characters were partly defined by the fact that they were in a budding relationship, not their sexuality itself.

As you mentioned pokemon also, I'd just prefer they went the neutral route again also. These fem/masc pokemon are coming off really border misogynist. Or is it non-misogynist because they're letting them be both genders still?

I think gender differences are important. Women have been repressed for centuries because they are different to men, and it's the same reason why representation matters. It's why I'm not a fan of gender-swapped characters - if you're implying that Link (or whoever) would retain exactly the same personality as a girl, what's the value in representation in the first instance?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
@lemoncatpower, I was referring to the entire Pokemon franchise

EDIT: we've also had an interracial married couple in B/W, and I'm referring to Lenora and Hawes. I almost forgot about that!
" I had this idea for my made-up region where the professor is mildly autistic, but also in a wheelchair and makes subtle hints about himself being gay"

you referred to a single character there, but okay lol. Either way yeah they should start introducing characters with special traits.

Orphalesion

As a gay guy I think representation (an NO, not just something that amounts to hints and speculation) is something very important. It's important to show kids who are in the process of growing up into homosexual/bi/trans persons that not only is it natural, but that it doesn't come with some sort of stock personality attached. I was really worried about that when I grew up due to the way Gay men used to be presented in media.

However, it has to be done tastefully. Pokemon is not a game that primarily concerns itself with romantic relationships, and I wouldn't want it to be specifically commented on that a certain character is gay, but rather shown. Like my favorite gay couple in all of television are Clyde's parents on the Loud House, being gay is never the point or defining feature of their characters, they just are and everybody is so alright with it that it doesn't even need commenting on.
So I'd like to see something like Burnet and Kukui. Their relationship is never in the focus of the story, never overly shown, but it exists. So it would be nice to see something like in the next new region the (male) professor tells you about that game's version of Pokepelago and mentions that it's run by his husband or something or reviving the "Young Couple" trainer class and have it something like "You are challenged by Young Couple Sarah and Paula". Something that doesn't necessarily shine a spotlight on LGBT but treas it offhandedly, because it's normal and natural and not a big deal.

There are already characters depicted in past games that are at least suggestive, a recent example would be the trial captain Ilima.

I have mixed feelings though, to be honest. On one hand I don’t care if they are included if it’s done well, but since I am being asked, I don’t really see the necessity.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Yes, as a lgbt person, i don't really like it when writers simply ignore our existence. That's why i usually don't watch stuff that doesn't have a single character that is gay/straight/bi/trans/whatever

I don't mind the lack of representation on Pokémon all that much, because at least the games rarely focus on attraction or romantic affection and when they do it's always very subtle.

They still could do better though. Like the fireworks event in XY, there was no need to change Shauna's dialogue. It's okay to make it seem like Shauna has a crush on the female MC and, if girls are uncomfortable by that, let them be uncomfortable. It's not like you weren't forcing gay males to have a romantic moment with Shauna either...

However, it has to be done tastefully. Pokemon is not a game that primarily concerns itself with romantic relationships, and I wouldn't want it to be specifically commented on that a certain character is gay, but rather shown.
Yes, i think that is very important.

I would rather they didn't even try if it was going to be so badly included, like most shows nowadays do.

They shouldn't make a big deal about the character's sexuality, they should just treat them as everyone else.

Last edited:

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Yeah they should do it either with anime or games, it would be great. Of course most of the Pokemon characters don't really show much romantic relationships so it's not like they do it intentionally. It would be nice if two homosexual characters did make an appeareance by battling or even Nurse Joy flirting with Officer Jenny.

Status
Not open for further replies.