• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For people that for whatever reason don't like Goh, what are the core charges you would make for his character?

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Just legitimately asking to see what things could be done for you if you just didn't like what they did with him. I personally don't get the hate.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Make his goals less boring and have him clash with Ash more.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I would make substantial changes to his storyline and character motivation to make him fit the world a bit more, since I don't think Goh (as he was in the show) was a really good fit for the anime lore-wise.

First thing's first: I'd change his goal from 'I wanna catch Mew cuz...I wanna be friends with it or something!' to 'I wanna study Mew and discover all its secrets' instead. To that end, I'd change his career path from 'Lawrence III' to 'Pokémon Researcher'. This would lead him down towards the path of becoming one of Professor Sakuragi's research fellows, which would naturally and comfortably flow into the next aspect of his character that needs a heavy rework: 'Gotta Catch 'em All!'

Rather than him catching tons of Pokémon to 'get closer to Mew' somehow or just filling out his personal checklist, I'd make it so he's catching them on Sakuragi's behalf as his research fellow. Also, I would've had Sakuragi bankroll a substantial Poké Ball upgrade for the dude, letting him showcase Poké Balls with increased catch rates. This would make his captures seem a little less bull****, since I'm sure nobody would complain about Goh capturing a Paras with one throw from a Quick Ball.

Next, I'd introduce Project Mew much earlier and make some changes to it as well. Now, it a competition between multiple young researchers who're sponsored by older, more experience professors. Gary would be sponsored by his own gramps of course, and Tokio would be sponsored by Elm. They would compete against each other to complete various collection, teamwork and research challenges, as usual, but outsiders wouldn't be allowed to participate. That means no Ash during PM missions.

Lastly, no Suicune, no Regieleki, no Eternatus. No Regidrago for Gary, no Virizion for Tokio.

So...yeah, I'd pretty much just change his goal. Personality-wise, I think he's fine.

Bulu likes pepsi

I would make Goh a little less touchy myself. First of all because SatoGou is the worst pokemon shipping known to man, but for practical reasons, it would honestly make a little more sense given that Goh hasn't really had friends before, and wouldn't be aware of the importance of physical touch.

Then I would allow Goh to actually catch Mew in the first place, and allow Ash to at least observe the way he does it. Goh should also not catch Suicune and Regieleki this early. Especially since he is a beginning trainer and Ash STILL doesn't have a legendary after 26 years.

Finally, Goh's personality needs a little bit of work. He seems to me like a combo of a Gary Stu and the neglected kid.

Pokeshipper_

Goh didn't have a proper goal, his interactions with Ash was lame, his design was bad, I think his clothes are forgettable and his name came out from a game for smartphones sadly and this is bad. So you need to change different things to make him pretty decent.
Also, also if it doesn't apply to his character only, the fact some of his caught mons lived in stagnation in a park without having a development or also having some adventures was mean. Why catching a mon that loves to live in a natural world, if you then put that mon in a stupid park like in a prison?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
what are the core charges you would make for his character?

I'll have the cops charging him duo sleeping with Cinderace.

===============

Jokes apart, I think the main problem was the whole Mew thing. Simply have him saying he wants to catch them all because he adores pokémon and wants to know every single thing about every single one is compelling enough by itself. It doesn't need to tangible wtih a "target". It's something relatable that works for a character who's meant to be a child.

Just like Ash's PWC quest didn't need the whole "aim to battle against the monarch Leon". Simply winning a world tournament should suffice.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Goh didn't have a proper goal, his interactions with Ash was lame, his design was bad, I think his clothes are forgettable and his name came out from a game for smartphones sadly and this is bad. So you need to change different things to make him pretty decent.
Also, also if it doesn't apply to his character only, the fact some of his caught mons lived in stagnation in a park without having a development or also having some adventures was mean. Why catching a mon that loves to live in a natural world, if you then put that mon in a stupid park like in a prison?
Exactly thus
I feel sorry for the Pokemon he imprisoned

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Maybe he was a poacher and he lied for a long time. Jokes apart, I think inserting a character like Goh in the anime was bad, this thing of catching mons to leave them in stagnation and "in the box" is an in-game feature, but it applies badly in the anime
And catching legendaries like they were candies

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Maybe he was a poacher and he lied for a long time. Jokes apart, I think inserting a character like Goh in the anime was bad, this thing of catching mons to leave them in stagnation and "in the box" is an in-game feature, but it applies badly in the anime
I mean Gary did this and wasn't really called out like Goh.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Make him more like Crystal from the manga who also had a catching goal but used strategy and different balls for each capture, she also didn't catch any major legendaries (I don't mind stuff like heatran or the regis being caught but I consider the beasts and the birds to be fairly major in the anime) and like everyone else said, introduce PM earlier, it'd help with his useless captures that sometimes were entire episodes only for the mon to never make a major appearance again

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Make him a researcher from the start with a desire to learn as much as he can from pokemon and have mew be his final goal, rather than randomly making him want to fill his pokedex, make an excuse that it leads up to mew, and then saying he wants to learn about pokemon only when confronted by mewtwo. It’ll make him feel less wishy washy and with clear understandable goal and motive.

Have him use different ways of catching pokemon, not only from different ball types, but also lures and such, as a way to also research on what kind of things different pokemon respond positively too. You can make it that goh detest the methods used by poachers for being cruel.

Have him being shown studying the pokemon he caught in the lab often. Instead of just scenes of him dropping off food and not much else. Like the dissonance of pokemons just being check marks instead of friends will never fully go away with goh’s modus of operation, but they could’ve tried to remedy it as best they can.

If they want to give him a legendary, make sure there were proper bonding first that isn’t just a single episode.

Basically i would make them lean much more into the actual ‘research fellow’ background. Also yeah bring in PM sooner and don’t let ash take part, because they really shouldn’t have pushed the ‘equal protagonist’ thing so much.

Personally i also agree with cutting out the touchy feely stuff and because it made goh the most sexualized character of the anime. Which is bleh.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
He just wouldn't exist. Same with Koharu and the Sakuragi trope. That way Ash could get a proper last series.

If PM19 wasn't Ash's last series then I would just modify the execution of his goal. Wanting to meet Mew is fine. Catching loads of worthless Pokémon with no effort is boring. Tauros #21 is more memorable than 90% of his roster. His personality is fine.

Last edited: