• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For people that for whatever reason don't like Goh, what are the core charges you would make for his character?

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Hey You don't have to battle them to catch them in Legends Arceus either...

But you are given that choice. in Pokemon Go, that’s the only option. I’m not counting Pokemon Go since its a free to play game. Lets Go is a yes & no since they clearly made that game to run traditionally like a mainline game but took that godawful element from Go & put it in Lets Go.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
But you are given that choice. in Pokemon Go, that’s the only option. I’m not counting Pokemon Go since its a free to play game. Lets Go is a yes & no since they clearly made that game to run traditionally like a mainline game but took that godawful element from Go & put it in Lets Go.
This feels like a lot of goalpost moving. Tossing pokeballs out to catch isn't some taboo wild thing.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Friendly reminder Ash's first capture was Caterpie... Who he got by simply throwing the pokéball.

His Krabby was a similar case as well

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
Prior he screwed up and got a whole flock of Spearow to try to kill him. At least Caterpie was like a pity lucky capture.
In fairness, Goh has also been attacked by wild Pokemon, too. Didn't his Pinsir try to kill him before he caught it by accident?

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Caterpie is very easy to catch so it’s not unbelievable that a pokeball can do the trick at least once.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
This feels like a lot of goalpost moving. Tossing pokeballs out to catch isn't some taboo wild thing.

Don’t like it personally. Yeah you can do it without fighting, and sure, catching a Caterpie w/o fighting it isn’t something that’s too difficult. Pokemon have different catch rates but yeah go ahead & encounter that Entei in the wild by spinning PokeBalls & throwing berries at it to catch it because thats how the game’s originally suggested you to do.

The mainline games do suggest it, & I’m going off of that, not some freepay to win mobile game. Also , I get that your Lord & Almighty Savior Goh must have no faults but he isn’t exactly a “well-written” character, so stop overlooking that fact & arguing with me about a stupid mobile game when all I mentioned was that I thought it was dumb to have Goh just toss balls at Pokemon & 95% of the time resulted in a capture. Would have made his starters evolving more believable if he had used them for their intended purposes.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Don’t like it personally. Yeah you can do it without fighting, and sure, catching a Caterpie w/o fighting it isn’t something that’s too difficult. Pokemon have different catch rates but yeah go ahead & encounter that Entei in the wild by spinning PokeBalls & throwing berries at it to catch it because thats how the game’s originally suggested you to do.

The mainline games do suggest it, & I’m going off of that, not some freepay to win mobile game. Also , I get that your Lord & Almighty Savior Goh must have no faults but he isn’t exactly a “well-written” character, so stop overlooking that fact & arguing with me about a stupid mobile game when all I mentioned was that I thought it was dumb to have Goh just toss balls at Pokemon & 95% of the time resulted in a capture. Would have made his starters evolving more believable if he had used them for their intended purposes.
Saying that Goh isn't well written is not fact lmao. You can't just cast your opinion as the decided fact.

Spyro39

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot something: No one ****ing dies or gets greviously injured. I just wanted to see a different dynamic.
Yeah, it's not like Satosere has made Goh out to be a traitorous villain in his weird fanfics. Oh wait...

Seriously, this is no different than the "Goh is a psychopath/hunter" angle that trolls have said, and every time I see these kinds of posts, I roll my eyes.

Last edited:

charchar56

Goh had a lot of potential and ended up falling flat for me. Definitely don't hate his character though. Instead of sticking with the newbie trainer companion thing, I think they should've had Goh be as experienced as Ash (development wise) and nearly done capturing pokemon across the different regions. He could still be on a mission to complete his pokedex ahead of meeting/trying to catch mew. would've been much more interesting of a story, better fits the journeys style, and somewhat matches Ash's progress as a trainer too

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Ignoring some of the weirdos here

I'd change how he got Suicune and Grookey. Honestly not even give him Suicune, Eternatus can be Project Mew entry
Have Project Mew begin after the Mewtwo episode which curtails Goh's development as a Pokemon trainer in the first year
Having Project Mew begin earlier, give more time with more missions and all the rivals
Do fair by Goh and like Ash give him proper time and arcs to end Project Mew satisfyingly

In the first year have him capture mons more creatively, use traps, strats, other pokeballs
Have Drizzile's evolution stretched out more

Rest I really love. His character and personality is fantastically written and I love his dynamics and Inteleon and Cinderace. It's mostly his goal related writing that needed betterment

ShuckFam

Yeah, it's not like Satosere has made Goh out to be a traitorous villain in his weird fanfics. Oh wait...

Seriously, this is no different than the "Goh is a psychopath/hunter" angle that trolls have said, and every time I see these kinds of posts, I roll my eyes.
I think Satosere's words have just been taken out of context.

Ryker101

Well this was an entertaining thread

The biggest thing I’d do is introduce Project Mew at the start. Use this to reframe Lugia, Zapdos and Suicune eps into trial missions. Where if you’re successful, you get a chance to be accepted into it. Obviously Goh would fail both the Lugia/Zapdos ones, before finally getting in with Suicune. So now he’s not just catching pokemon for the fun of it, but has more personal stakes in it. I’d also reduce or remove most the instant captures he has, instead focusing on the mons he actually battles and bonds with. They’re just not engaging and he works better when focusing on mons like Drizzile, Golurk, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Floette, etc

Not to mention more conflict with Ash. Nothing dramatic but he morphed into Ash too quickly and it removed some of his individuality. If he’s a co-protagonist he should be more concrete with his differences. He’d slowly building up his battle skills and bonding with pokemon throughout his key captures, whilst changing his deeper flaws via project mew like they did already. So it’s a more long form transformation